Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It's been said before, but the best TES VI would be the catastrophic fallout as every rear end in a top hat under the sun fights over who gets the Dragonborn's soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I've always taken the "Pledged my soul to different Gods" thing as the Daedra being completely unable to enforce any sort of soul deal with a Dragonborn but they're all still gunning to get The Last Dragonborn as their worshipper for bragging rights. They're not going to tell you that they can't actually hold you to those deals, and they're willing to gamble on the chance that you think they can.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Remind me, Telvanni masters: Do the Daedra have a lot of power outside of their Plane? Do they have specific areas of influence, where they can manifest stronger than otherwise?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

You can introduce yourself as the archmage of the college when you adopt a child from the orphanage. Along with pointing out you're the harbinger of the companions or that you're the dragonborn, it's one of the options that leaves Constance dumbfounded.

Nobody else outside the college gives a gently caress, however.

Actually, if you're archmage when you go talk to Neloth you get some great additional dialogue.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I do believe you never explicitly swear allegiance to Mora either, he just acts all Tzeentch. Which still leaves Nocturnal, Akatosh, Hircine/Molag Bal as mutually exclusive choice and Sithis.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Remind me, Telvanni masters: Do the Daedra have a lot of power outside of their Plane? Do they have specific areas of influence, where they can manifest stronger than otherwise?

They've always been strongly linked to their shrines, but before the Oblivion Crisis, the princes could be summoned nearly everywhere. Mehrunes Dagon himself stomped a town in Morrowind.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

GuyUpNorth posted:

I do believe you never explicitly swear allegiance to Mora either, he just acts all Tzeentch. Which still leaves Nocturnal, Akatosh, Hircine/Molag Bal as mutually exclusive choice and Sithis.

easy solution: each of those suckers gets a Dragon Soul instead, should be enough around by then

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

My understanding is that while they do have power outside of their Planes but it's unlikely that they will express that power. This is likely because of both disinterest in anything outside of their Sphere and because being outside of your Sphere generally means you're inside of someone else's, where they are going to be stronger than you.

As far as power on Mundus is concerned, I'm unsure of many hard fast rules. Sotha Sil arranged a pact with the Daedric Princes where in they cannot go to Nirn unless they are summoned, and given that the only Prince to break that pact was promptly kicked back to Oblivion both times, I'd say that pact holds. I speculate that the Princes hold power in any place where their Sphere is prominent, IE Sheogorath may be able to manifest to some extent inside of an insane asylum and so forth, but I don't know of any examples to back this notion aside from the Daedra being more talkative. Going by Daggerfall it would seem that they need a mortal agent to get anything meaningful done on Nirn, as most of the Daedra quests in that game involve tracking down and murdering somebody who betrayed the Prince.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Their power is limited while in the Mundus. Because of the Liminal barrier (the barrier that Oblivion is all about keeping together), they cannot do much in Tamriel. Dagon can't whip up a storm to destroy a boat, for example, even though he's the Prince of Destruction.

By and large all their actions on Nirn must be through mortal agents- Mehrunes Dagon, for instance, worked with Jagar Tharn during Arena, and Mankar Camoran.

They can appear, and open "friendly" doorways (not Oblivion Gates through which they invade, for example, but the doorway seen in Shivering Isles which is an invitation), cut deals, and grant their Artifacts, but by and large they are no more powerful in Nirn than a really, really powerful mage- their chief difference being of course that they cannot be killed.

On their own Planes, they're basically God- sort of. Their Plane is either an extension of them, or they are manifestations of the Plane itself. Or both at the same time. But they are all-powerful and only an exceptionally crafty and well-prepared mortal could even hope of standing up to them. With very few exceptions, not even the Aedra can help you there, and usually if you can escape it's because they don't want to stop you (see: Hircine, who is all about the hunt, which isn't much fun if the prey has no chance of evading the hunter).

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mf5MG6xUMM

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

i am tim! posted:

Sotha Sil arranged a pact with the Daedric Princes where in they cannot go to Nirn unless they are summoned, and given that the only Prince to break that pact was promptly kicked back to Oblivion both times, I'd say that pact holds.

Pre-internet for me, I remember thinking this would be the central plot to whatever sequel to Morrowind would be. ALMSIVI made a deal with the Daedric Princes, and ALMSIVI was gone after Morrowind+Expansions. The person I remember discussing this with thought up some cockamamie idea about the Emperors holding back Oblivion and that the Emperor was going to die and all sorts of nonsense.

Still bitter about that.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Finally a pinball game from that one company that's really known for making great physics engines!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
"Comments are disabled for this video"

Says more than the video ever could.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've been loving Skyrim SE-trying to do a different build than I usually do. Also complete the MQ rather than putz around with my Manor.

That said, is there a semi-official "Skip Helgen" mod yet?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There's Live Another Life.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Three exciting pinball tables??? wowee!!

I hope this isn't what they've been working on instead of TES VI :gonk:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Gloomy Rube posted:

Three exciting pinball tables??? wowee!!

yup it totally is sorry

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

im the tiny dragon next to a pinball

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gloomy Rube posted:

... It's made by Zen Studios. It's right there in the video, the description and uploader's name. Come on.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Raygereio posted:

... It's made by Zen Studios. It's right there in the video, the description and uploader's name. Come on.

I figured Zen Studios was the publisher. :downs:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

yup it totally is sorry

Next thing you know there's a secret table in the game that spoils the setting for TES VI

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Looks like Elder Scrolls Online is free to play on Steam this weekend, is it worth the download?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Looks like Elder Scrolls Online is free to play on Steam this weekend, is it worth the download?

Depends, do you have 60 GB of bandwidth/disk space available? :unsmigghh:

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I've played a few MMO's (Guild Wars 2 / SWTOR latest) but ESO bores me to absolute tears. It feels like a husk with no emotion. And I love the TES series and the lore, but everything about the MMO repulses me.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Let's be honest, they're only having a F2P weekend because they need suckers to start gambling on their stupid as gently caress Crown RNG Crates.

This is because the majority of their playerbase right now has straight up gone and said "gently caress you we're not playing your lovely RNG game"

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 18, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GuyUpNorth posted:

I was always under the impression that the Dragonborn was straight up a piece of Talos, hence why they can shout without training. So when the DB dies(if he ever does) his soul isnt going to anyone because it's a piece of a god.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
That theory explains why every nexus image of the uploader's character appears soulless.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Nasgate posted:

I was always under the impression that the Dragonborn was straight up a piece of Talos, hence why they can shout without training. So when the DB dies(if he ever does) his soul isnt going to anyone because it's a piece of a god.

Nah, Dragonborn is just a mortal born with a dragon's soul per a blessing passed down from Akatosh. I mean, that's the prevailing theory, which kind of falls apart because Miraak was just a dick and Tiber Septim/Talos was a regicide. Then again, the gods have always been pretty poo poo at picking mortal champions :shrug:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

GuyUpNorth posted:

You can swear allegiance to Mora after giving Septimus Signus the elven bloods. He stops you on your way out. Has a different look if you have DB installed or are playing the special edition.

edit: He also has a little different dialogue if you do his Black Book quests after completion of all the stuff involving Signus.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 19, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Four Score posted:

Nah, Dragonborn is just a mortal born with a dragon's soul per a blessing passed down from Akatosh. I mean, that's the prevailing theory, which kind of falls apart because Miraak was just a dick and Tiber Septim/Talos was a regicide. Then again, the gods have always been pretty poo poo at picking mortal champions :shrug:

If you assume that canonically the hero always accomplish every quest somehow, the Dragonborn is a cannibal and a betrayer. So he's pretty much a dick; even by the sociopathic standards of video game heroes.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

If you assume that canonically the hero always accomplish every quest somehow, the Dragonborn is a cannibal and a betrayer. So he's pretty much a dick; even by the sociopathic standards of video game heroes.

Also, tortured an old man in cage into selling his soul by beating him with a rusty mace

The daedric quests in Skyrim are so ridiculously evil, they're great

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

look buddy if some dude in another kalpa mantles me while being a death cult assassin there's not much I can do about it :vivec:

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Four Score posted:

So many quests in Skryim wind up with you mantling Tiber Septim or otherwise duplicating the actions of some other shezarrine. Nazi elfs with plans to unmake the world roll up, tell everyone Talos aint poo poo, and it's just coincidence that you suddenly appear to oppose them? Nah man it's you, you're the missing god

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Ooooh YES *rips open Cheeto-encrusted shirt with ALMSIVI on it* I'm a fuckin GOD

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Four Score posted:

The thing is, Akatosh never hands the blessing to you in game, you inately have it. Talos received that blessing as a mortal, so to me it's more logical you're part Talos and inherited that blessing. It also explains your access to CHIM(console)

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
In my head the player character became Dragonborn/Shezarrine/Talos (both as a title denoting the most famous mortal who became divine and as a literal transfiguration from one to the other) when Alduin first shouts and sets you free, the thuum you hear being CHIM and thus tying your destiny to the Elder Scroll foretelling the Last Dragonborn. The reason Shor is absent in Sovngarde isn't just because Bethesda is lazy/preserving the mystique of the Aedra, the player character IS Shor

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

God I fuckin' love Elder Scrolls lore.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Apparently every single cat in TESO has a name like "Professor Clever-Whiskers III" so it's basically GOTYAY

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cat Mattress posted:

I think it's safer to presume that unless expressly said otherwise, Elder Scrolls Main Characters just did the main quest of the game and any expansions thereof, then either died or hosed off to a place that precludes them from being the hero of the next game.

Evil missions like you cite are more like playing the Nod missions in C&C. You're playing a hero, not a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Four Score posted:

In my head the player character became Dragonborn/Shezarrine/Talos (both as a title denoting the most famous mortal who became divine and as a literal transfiguration from one to the other) when Alduin first shouts and sets you free, the thuum you hear being CHIM and thus tying your destiny to the Elder Scroll foretelling the Last Dragonborn. The reason Shor is absent in Sovngarde isn't just because Bethesda is lazy/preserving the mystique of the Aedra, the player character IS Shor

that owns so hard