Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

theroachman posted:

What does POD mean for someone who can't order from FFG directly on account of living in Europe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3ChrdJoBCk

print on demand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

theroachman posted:

What does POD mean for someone who can't order from FFG directly on account of living in Europe?

This German online store: http://www.milan-spiele.de/lord-rings-nightmare-deck-long-dark-p-18146.html for example has some of the POD stuff and I know of some FLGS who have them too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is an OCTGN plugin for AH being developed?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

theroachman posted:

I'm from Swedenland and my local FLGS carries LOTR/MoM PoD stuff, so talk to your local FLGS and show interest and they might be able to order it. I've talked to mine and he said he hopes he'll be able to supply them.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

theroachman posted:

Loads of places carry them. You'll be able to find them easily.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I remember picking up Massing at Osgiliath from my FLGS when I lived in the UK, so yeah, there shouldn't be a problem (eventually).

I'm starting to get worried though because I preordered Arkham Horror and was told that my copies would ship out at the beginning of the week and I've heard nothing since. Beginning to fear they won't be coming or my order will get cancelled. :smith:

LordNat
May 16, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Is an OCTGN plugin for AH being developed?

Looks like yes.
https://github.com/GeckoTH/arkham-horror

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So, we've played through the core campaign now with the starter decks. It ended with tossing Lita to Umordhoth, leaving us with Roland at 3/2 phys/mental trauma and Wendy at 2/3 trauma. We found that the last mission was quite challenging, and we wiped once and restarted once before getting to the end. All in all, both the campaign and the game are really fun.

I played Wendy and I must say I'm really not impressed by her. Sure, there are some nice cards in the survivor class, but Wendy herself seems to be lacking. I really, really dislike her combat power of 1, because you cannot take care of the simplest of enemies. Sure, the Rogue class has some nice ways to deal with monsters, but if that's the way to deal with enemies, why not play Skids instead? There's also the baseball bat which is quite good(esp. with Wendys redraw), but takes up two hand slots which isn't ideal, and still only brings her up to 3 combat.

I also think that her unique amulet is somewhat lackluster - if you get it in your starting hand you really can't play it since none of your events will end up in the discard pile.

Of course, I realize that all decks benefit from deck construction(I've got two cores, but wanted to try the starter decks for a bit first), but to me Wendy seems to be the weakest character in the core set(with the given card pool of course, future cards could def. make her better since her chaos token redraw is strong).

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think Wendy works best when teamed up with someone. She can just evade enemies and leave them open to attacks for your partner.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Max posted:

I think Wendy works best when teamed up with someone. She can just evade enemies and leave them open to attacks for your partner.

Sure, but still not convinced that I shouldn't play Skids instead. Wendy brings very little to the table when it comes to collecting clues as well. It doesn't matter much though, since this is a co-op game everything doesn't even have to be balanced.

I find it strange that they don't recommend Agnes as second starter though, because I believe she'd be a better partner vid starter-Roland. But I'll never know, since I'm done with starter decks and will look into deckbuilding :)

Don't feel a need to raise difficulty though, standard seems to be quite well balanced so far, but it's going to be interesting to see how much of a difference custom decks makes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
We had a lot of fun at our learn-to-play shindig on Long Island today. Eight players, including the current world champion and his buddy who live less than an hour from the LGS, two brand new guys, two players who had cards and wanted to play for a while but had no one to game with, and my friend and myself. The world champ and his friend helped me with my Targ Summer deck that I might be bringing to Red Saturday in NYC this weekend. They're making the Valar Morghulis plot and the rest of that expansion legal for the tournament, which the pros explained my deck is very resilient against due to all the dupes, high economy, and Fire and Blood. We've got a good scene brewing!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
As of now, which LCGs are the most popular and supported? Are netrunner and star wars still the big ones?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Hiro Protagonist posted:

As of now, which LCGs are the most popular and supported? Are netrunner and star wars still the big ones?

Gane of Thrones might be bigger than Star Wars, at least if the numbers from https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/16/2016-world-championships-recap/ is anything to go by.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Netrunner and AGoT have healthy thriving scenes in the Orlando area, Star Wars is practically dead. I imagine people will be into Destiny now since FFG is supporting and pulsing it so heavily, but most of the LCG crowd have no interest in the simplified mechanics and collectible model so I don't expect it to affect our groups.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what it is about the Star Wars LCG but while I really enjoyed the maybe 3-4 games I've played of it, no one else seemed to. I wouldn't be surprised if it quietly gets wound down in favor of their new card/dice game.

Conquest going away also makes me wonder if we'll see some new LCG products on the horizon soon. Is LOTR still going strong or might that start to wind down if Arkham keeps up its momentum (considering it seems to have completely sold out)?

Legend of the Five Rings is coming next year though, right? I have fond memories of it, but honestly now I find it kind of embarrassingly orientalist and the mechanics were never that solid. I'm curious what FFG does with it now, and confident they can do a better job than AEG, but not particularly excited for it.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Netrunner is still a juggernaut but I think AGoT is much more popular than the SWLCG. I could see Netrunner getting a boost if the new Ghost in the Shell movie doesn't flop hard. They've also got a really interesting "Legacy" type product for Netrunner coming next year which might be the most interesting thing they've done with a LCG.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

A lot of people instantly dismissed the pod system of SWLCG before playing it because they couldn't simply include only the best cards. Then went to play Netrunner where there were between 3 and 10 auto includes in every deck. :v:

I've played all of their main LCGs and Star Wars LCG is by far the hardest to master. You can't do the math or get lucky. We bring in new people all the time who play a few games and give up because the game state is so hard to track for a new player. I'm not a great player either, I mostly play to see all the EU stuff they keep including.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Zerf posted:

I also think that her unique amulet is somewhat lackluster - if you get it in your starting hand you really can't play it since none of your events will end up in the discard pile.

Ehhh.. No. Start using your event cards to boost skill tests. Then they'll be in your discard pile.

Wendy is good and her dodge shenanigans (which exhausts enemies) can be amazing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Thirsty Dog posted:

Ehhh.. No. Start using your event cards to boost skill tests. Then they'll be in your discard pile.

Wendy is good and her dodge shenanigans (which exhausts enemies) can be amazing.

To be fair, it can suck drawing that amulet right out of the gate and knowing you have to hold on to it until enough events have been played.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Max posted:

To be fair, it can suck drawing that amulet right out of the gate and knowing you have to hold on to it until enough events have been played.

That doesn't make any sense. Any events in your discard pile beneath a card that isn't an event are dead to you.

The amulet lets you use events as skill boosters then play them. That's strong at every point in the game but especially early on when you don't have a lot of assets in play and need the help.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Thirsty Dog posted:

That doesn't make any sense. Any events in your discard pile beneath a card that isn't an event are dead to you.

The amulet lets you use events as skill boosters then play them. That's strong at every point in the game but especially early on when you don't have a lot of assets in play and need the help.

See, this is the reason I posted what I did - I hadn't figured out that you could toss the cards to skill tests to make them end up in the discard pile to avoid the amulet effect. That certainly makes it a much better card.

Still think she seems to be one of the weaker characters in the core set though, mostly because of her combat value. I have of course been using her to dodge, but once you start encountering mobs with 'hunter', you need to get rid of them somehow.

I might change my once I deckbuild with her - but for now she'll have to rest in the binder until I've tried out the other investors.

What's the estimated time for Dunwich Legacy btw? It's been on the boat for nearly a month, is it naïve to believe shipping takes 6 weeeks?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It should be out early December I believe. Probably the same date as Destiny which is Dec 1st.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Thirsty Dog posted:

I thought you could play an event card from your discard pile even if it's not on the top of the discard pile? It just says you can play the topmost event in your discard pile, which I read as saying you dig down into your discard pile until you find the first event.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Lump Shaker posted:

I thought you could play an event card from your discard pile even if it's not on the top of the discard pile? It just says you can play the topmost event in your discard pile, which I read as saying you dig down into your discard pile until you find the first event.

That's correct, they don't have to be on top, just topmost.

Bottom Liner posted:

It should be out early December I believe. Probably the same date as Destiny which is Dec 1st.

Nice, I hope you are correct :)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

alg posted:

A lot of people instantly dismissed the pod system of SWLCG before playing it because they couldn't simply include only the best cards. Then went to play Netrunner where there were between 3 and 10 auto includes in every deck. :v:

I've played all of their main LCGs and Star Wars LCG is by far the hardest to master. You can't do the math or get lucky. We bring in new people all the time who play a few games and give up because the game state is so hard to track for a new player. I'm not a great player either, I mostly play to see all the EU stuff they keep including.

As a big fan of Star Wars LCG this is my favorite thing too. It's a very difficult mindset for people to wrap their head around and is a really nice way of balancing sets against one another. That said the game tends to go through lull periods where people have a hard time getting off the "best" sets and it takes a bit of power creep for the meta to shake up.

RE: Star Wars LCG vs Destiny. I don't think there's an issue here. Destiny is a collectible dice game at it's heart and nobody I know that likes Star Wars LCG has any interest in Destiny.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm organizing my Flames of the West. Does Battle of Pelennor Fields have a 1/45?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, RAW, do you have to eat at least one attack from the Ghoul Priest?

EDIT: nevermind, the card says end of round, not end of Investigator phase.

The game seems to have way less dick moves than LOTR.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 21, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm organizing my Flames of the West. Does Battle of Pelennor Fields have a 1/45?

LOTR? 1/45 is usually the hero, isn't it?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Samurai posted:

Oh thank christ

Still no word on when my core sets are shipping :smith:

I wonder how long until theres another printing? Amazon seems to have taken its listing down with "Unavailable" and no idea when more will come in.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

So, RAW, do you have to eat at least one attack from the Ghoul Priest?

EDIT: nevermind, the card says end of round, not end of Investigator phase.

Oh god drat it, I misunderstood that too.

My first play through, I was soloing Roland, and had ~7 damage on him, and thought I had to advance the act at the end of the investigator phase. So the Priest comes out and instantly swats me for 2.

But the end of the round is a lot more manageable!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Add me to the list of thinking that you advanced at the end of the Investigator phase...

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah the trigger on the act card explicitly says end of round, i.e. after monsters have moved/attacked.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I also have no reading comprehension and it defeated me during my campaign with my friend. My solo, two-handed TTS stuff though, I still murdered him ever with the misplay.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Hauki posted:

Yeah the trigger on the act card explicitly says end of round, i.e. after monsters have moved/attacked.

It's explicit, but I think the confusion was based on what a "round" is, versus a turn.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

COOL CORN posted:

It's explicit, but I think the confusion was based on what a "round" is, versus a turn.

In my case, it was due to expecting acts to work like LOTR quests.

Also, if Roland has a clue on his card, does that clue counts for those "if there is a clue at your Location" modifiers? I mean, you and your cards are at that Location, according to the manual.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Fat Samurai posted:

In my case, it was due to expecting acts to work like LOTR quests.

Also, if Roland has a clue on his card, does that clue counts for those "if there is a clue at your Location" modifiers? I mean, you and your cards are at that Location, according to the manual.

We played it as clues on the actual location, but this way makes sense and makes that ability actually a lot better. We finally got to play through a game on Friday, and of course lost our asses. We had the Ghoul Priest dead to rights but I was sitting at 1 horror away from being out, pulled the Treachery that makes you make a skill test or take 1 horror for each point that you fail by. Of course I pull a tentacle.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I got a second core in the mail after I half-forgot about my online preorder. Sick as poo poo so I guess I'll be parked on the couch today messing around with the little bit of extra leeway I have in deck construction now. Anyone have any insight or opinions on that so far? I've mostly ignored it to this point and just run the starter lists out of the book since I was playing two-handed and there wasn't much room to do much else with one core.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If you have two cores, build a Daisy starter and Roland starter since you have the cards to cover them both now, and steamroll your way through the game because that pairing is seriously OP.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Got my Rougarou pod pack in yesterday. Looks like a blast, playing it tonight with Skids.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My FLGS said they are getting in more cores directly from FFG this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Jedit posted:

LOTR? 1/45 is usually the hero, isn't it?

Sorry, I meant the actual Battle of Pelennor Fields adventure, the one with the ring wraith mount as the symbol. The Witch King is 2/45 and is double sided, but each side has different card numbers. I don't know what card number 1/45 is...