Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Heaven Spacey posted:

You'll need R5 Shiva, Ifrit, and Ramuh for sure.

Well hey, I already had these.

Heaven Spacey posted:

When I did it, I also had R4 Valefor and Maduin, and R2 Bahamut.

These not so much - R3 Valefor and a different 4* summon, R4 Ixion and another different 4* summon (in some order the ones I'm forgetting are Leviathan and Alex). No Bahamut or Odin but, well. Titan is out.

Heaven Spacey posted:

Neo Bahamut is also one of the Nightmare bosses that existed before they started being rude about ninja magic, so you can r5 a three-star veil and slap it on Tyro for a ton of extra damage.

I'll probably break my Swift Bolt and switch it for a different Ninja 3* because of Guardian. Screw Guardian and its lightning absorb, and it's awful gimmick that doesn't work because of cast times.

Heaven Spacey posted:

If you're willing to sink orbs into Phantasm it's also a huge help. I took Tyro with R5 Swift Bolt and R4 Phantasm.

Considering my dearth of Summoner SBs, I'll probably do this yes. Speaking of, what's the classification of Tornado Gri- oh right it nulls debuffs, never mind

Heaven Spacey posted:

It's been so long I don't remember the actual mechanics of the fight. I think he switches elemental polarities and you want to actually hit him with what he resists rather than what he's weak to, because he has little helper nerds that pop him for a ton of damage after the phase where he cycles weaknesses ends if you hit him with what he resists.

Leave it to the one ability type with a damage floor for to use a mechanic like this. Although if the mechanics are forgot I might wait for more input (or for me to get a copy of Titan...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The power creep is real, but people who started at launch have in general far superior hones and more ability diversity. That's not something to dismiss out of hand.

I'd go as far as to claim that in terms of power, Skills + Hones > any soul breaks one might have. I keep crushing Cid's Missions with basically nothing but a RM'd Shout or Sheepsong, and the occasional medica. Rest of the crushing is solely based on my extensive collection of highly honed 4* and 5* skills, plus realm synergy.

(edit) I do wish Orbfests would be a bit more regular than they have been this year. I hate watching people hit a wall with their glorious relics, just because they only have r1 or r2 skills.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 18, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Not to mention the psychological aspect of sitting on all this Mythril and the very real risk of disappointment when you blank on whatever pie in the sky scenario of pulling whatever ideal set of relics you dreamed up. Or even just one particular relic. Someone once asked if JP was better or if it just seemed better, grass is always greener and all that, since people usually post about it in the context of "I started a JP account and look at this cool future poo poo I got :circlefap:". While I'm a Global player or nothing since I have no interest in playing the game if I can't read it (and I won't become fluent in written Japanese for a phone game so let's not even go there) and don't think we lose out on anything, I feel DeNA Global is fair to us, I do sometimes think our future sight is double-edged. I mean, when Orlandeau dropped in Japan, it was a surprise. If you get something for him it's like whoa, check out this poo poo, and if you don't, well, how could you have known? Other than chasing and landing Platinum Sword, many of the most satisfying pulls I've had were on lucky banners where I had no real expectations. Some hopes, sure, but definitely no expectations. It's going to be a lot worse to walk away from OK1 without Onion Gauntlets for us than it was for JP players because for them, it came out of the blue whereas for us, lots of people have been holding their nut in for six months. Blueballing here is going to suck bad for those who will drop 300+... now imagine always playing the game like that, just constantly putting off for something better.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I mean... if you were the worst person in the world, like a real boring piece of work, you could start an account today and spend nothing. Just gather Mythril and get as far in events as you can on little to no Mythril spent. Then, in six months, you go on a spending spree on whatever the new hotness is. Reap the benefits of months of orb gathering and having a ton of Mythril to spend on whatever the new hotness is. You COULD do this... but who ever would? At some point, getting items now is just more fun.

lol I did this. But that was back when it was more difficult to even beat Ultimates and stuff. But I drew a little bit at first, then saved until SSB-fest so I had like 500 mythril and went for wall and got it. Then I blew the rest on Tactics. So I guess I'm the worst person in the world. But I've never lost an ultimate fight since, so I guess it paid off. I wound up beating two Ultimates in the meantime too.

I would rig almost everything up with some Advantilate setup. It blew my mind when I got my first hastega. It was so fast!

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 18, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I'm actually kind of doing exactly that right now actually.

*Looks at 388 mythril and large pile of unspent orbs*

I mean, I'm still killing every U++... without 5* skills. (Okay R1 Full Break. I'll be able to finally get R2 this event! FINALLY. Not that needed with Faris BSB, but.)

On the other hand, I managed to get fantastic luck dredging out (really, about the best possible) trinity fairly fast, so it's like, why am I going to blow Mythril on ehn banners when I know better ones are coming up? May as well utilize future sight.

I agree with the premise that it's better to not expect much, though.

I'm drawing on Onion banner because I hopefully will get any one of Onion's two pieces of gear, Gungnir, a third Lust Dagger so I can make an 8* statstick(I got two out of a lucky draw, seriously), and/or Arc's Medica.

If I fail this, what I'll probably end up with is something like Renewing Rains, another decent mage stick, and another decent option for when I inevitably have to slam my head into the White Mage Nightmares, or another 5* armor I kinda need(and, down the line, a CM Hastega). This is not the worst fate on earth.

It's really best to draw for banners where as much as possible is useful, IMO.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Saving mythril is kinda boring, which is why I can barely get past 200 at best of times. Pulling is more fun, especially now in a post-G5 world. Also less disappointments, if you don't chase.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

Saving mythril is kinda boring, which is why I can barely get past 200 at best of times. Pulling is more fun, especially now in a post-G5 world. Also less disappointments, if you don't chase.

But not completely without disappointments. I fully expect to pull on OK1 and get disappointed, since the only things there that I'd be interested in are OK BSB, Arc SSB2, and Ingus's Lunatic High clone.

That's why I'm okay with only having enough mythril to pull once.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Are either of the FFIV BSBs on the current draw worth chasing for someone who doesn't have any real needs right now (me)?

I'm gathering that Rydia's doesn't necessarily meet that but Kain's might?

If so, I could toss a draw at it. Sitting on 370 Mythril right now.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

IllegallySober posted:

Are either of the FFIV BSBs on the current draw worth chasing for someone who doesn't have any real needs right now (me)?

I'm gathering that Rydia's doesn't necessarily meet that but Kain's might?

If so, I could toss a draw at it. Sitting on 370 Mythril right now.

Kain's is the best Dragoon BSB in the game even in JP meta; it synergizes amazingly with Lightning Dive and basically makes Kain even more of a murdertank than before.

Rydia's... Rydia's sure is a mage earth bsb. I'd put it on par with Rinoa's BSB: good, but not really worth chasing if you've already got other options.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Kain's is the best Dragoon BSB in the game even in JP meta; it synergizes amazingly with Lightning Dive and basically makes Kain even more of a murdertank than before.

Rydia's... Rydia's sure is a mage earth bsb.

To add to that, not only is it EnLightning but the Defense command for it restores ability uses so you can get way more out of a low hone Lightning Dive.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Kain's is pretty good, because it's like the only Enlightning Dragoon SB and Lightning Dive is pretty sweet.

Rydia's is bog standard mage burst in Earth flavor. The element isn't great but those are all pretty good-but within those limitations it does not stand out at all, except maybe for counting as Summon for Summon Nightmares.

Rest of the banner is pretty great CM stuff, if you have top tier stuff in general you probably won't notice it.

(For instance it has Edward's Hastemarch, but Sheepsong is linearly better. It has Tellah's Attack/Mag +30% Buff, but it dooms him and is kinda ehn due to that. It has Twin Stars, which is a great buff, but it's on Porom. Etc.)

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Rydia's goes from a middling BSB to much, much more drat useful if you have an imperil Earth (i.e. Yang) to throw out.

If you just pull her BSB in isolation, it's kinda meh in that there really ain't that much out there that is Earth-weak. Earth doesn't seem to be heavily resisted going forward either, so it can still do some work for you. I really don't see myself ever pulling Rydia+Yang combo out all that much save for IV content or if I just want to have some fun with making poo poo weak to Earth and letting Rydia and another mage with an en-Earth SB blow everything to pieces.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I've been playing for about a couple of months, and just tried doing a dollar pull for the first time. Well hello there, Kain BSB :dance:

I like that the Barbaricca fight is in an event based around a lightning dragoon BSB with a new 5* lightning dragoon ability, and you're meant to use jumps on her. And she resists lightning...

edit: apparently she doesn't and dr mog is a lying gently caress.

hit button fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 19, 2016

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

SageAcrin posted:

Kain's is pretty good, because it's like the only Enlightning Dragoon SB and Lightning Dive is pretty sweet.

Rydia's is bog standard mage burst in Earth flavor. The element isn't great but those are all pretty good-but within those limitations it does not stand out at all, except maybe for counting as Summon for Summon Nightmares.

Rest of the banner is pretty great CM stuff, if you have top tier stuff in general you probably won't notice it.

(For instance it has Edward's Hastemarch, but Sheepsong is linearly better. It has Tellah's Attack/Mag +30% Buff, but it dooms him and is kinda ehn due to that. It has Twin Stars, which is a great buff, but it's on Porom. Etc.)

Thanks to all of you for your input. The above quote made me go back and look at specifically my IV synergy, and it's not great (1 SSB, 2 SBs), so I think I'll spend a single pull. Still leaves me 300+ Mythril in the bank.

:mad:

Oh well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Was going to wait until the lucky draw but decided to pull since I have zero native 5* relics for FF4. Got Seraphim Mace and Hell Claws. Not sure I care enough to use Palom but Yang's cool even though he's a monk. He can lifesiphon spam and then use meteor crush after firing his SSB.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

IllegallySober posted:

Thanks to all of you for your input. The above quote made me go back and look at specifically my IV synergy, and it's not great (1 SSB, 2 SBs), so I think I'll spend a single pull. Still leaves me 300+ Mythril in the bank.

:mad:

Oh well.

Well... it is at least a Hastega and a Medica for FF4...!

:smith:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I started Omega at the buzzer and thanks to that Dusk's Decree RW (and Stop assist from Selphie), Terra and Edea melted the bot with support from Edward (it's no Sheepsong, but it works) and Yuffie (dancing for the medal req, and ~5800 ninja scrolls is rather respectable damage for star level).

I just really wanted those Eggs.

Considering pulling, because I like IV and I'm pretty poor in realm relics, but OK/BSB IS pretty close..

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Tactical Soul Breaks:

Ramza's godlike USB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qxmnLXLf2E
Rafa's BSB lets you be a DPS healer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyVaGCtRySw
Rafa's SSB fills the Hastega void left by using Ramza's USB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64UgvZV_D9c
Ovelia's generic healer BSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aj8-StE_dw

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 19, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Necrophobe is a butt.

That said, the solution, as with several of the last few nightmares, was to slow down in P1 to allow the person with the good SB to spam Wrath a few more times.

(In the past that was usually a magic blink on Rosa. In this case it was Wakka for his BSB).

Once I was actually pushing into P2 with a one two punch of Wakka BSB (the full breakdown carries into P2 for some extra damage early on) -> Celes Runic SSB RW, with my buffs up, and had Wakka's gauge charged enough to cast his BSB pretty much every time my rooms were fading (either as an all-clear or to put up 3-4 of them at once, either way worked) and Ramza lifesiphoning up Tailwinds as needed it became very manageable.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I already have SSB for both Kain and Rydia, and plenty of stat sticks besides, so I'm not sure how great pulling on this banner would be. I understand Kain's BSB is crazy balls, but Rising Drive -> Dragoon Jump is still pretty hefty dps. Really the IV relic I want most is Artemis Bow.

On another topic, Necrophobe was too much so I just spent half an hour hit-and-running so I could pop Goddess Bell right at Phase 2, and then back-to-back Gordon and Setzer SBs whenever the dooms got too low (Faris did much the same with Kindred Spirit). Having all the dooms up wasn't so bad thanks to stacking Atk/Mag debuffs and Ramza's endless Tailwind thanks to Magic Lure. He didn't get to phase three, but I'm pretty sure he was close, though Ramza was ready to throw and endless barrage of stones if the others needed the stun time to finish him off.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I beat necrophobe after figuring out how to time mist overload, armor breakdown, and mug bloodlust to land just before he hit 80% and using shatterheart to turn on/off the atk and mag barriers simultaneously. Went to phase 3 but I had a keepers tome to buy time until he went down. Didn't master one time because two people got flared the first time but second time only one got killed for mastery.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Finally got Necrophobe. Took some luck but I found a way that worked for my roster. Eiko BSB RW+native shout+paladin force+elemental res accessories+Wall and shell.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

You're supposed to post your first R2 5*, right?

I kinda had long term decision paralysis and didn't want to make any (non-Full Break) 5*s until I was sure I had a comfortable amount of Major Orbs to convert if I needed anything.

Today I did some math and did some more math and finally said to hell with it, my buffers are overkill.

:getin:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I realized today that my relic draws have been really bizarre and off-balance. I've beaten all of the mage nightmares and am working on the support ones right now, but I don't have enough combat relics to field a team for the combat nightmare.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

In fairness, if your other relics and moves are good enough, you can probably get away with one Combat 5* placed in the center of your team, just swinging a good en-element RW Burst at the wall throughout Phase 2, and kill him that way.

Wall's one of the more forgiving Nightmare bosses and power creep hasn't been too kind to him.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I realized today that my relic draws have been really bizarre and off-balance. I've beaten all of the mage nightmares and am working on the support ones right now, but I don't have enough combat relics to field a team for the combat nightmare.

What do you have available? I just did that one a few days ago, stumbled through it without knowing how the hell the gimmick worked, managed to clear it, then looked up the actual mechanics online and was able to Master it. If you can field at least three strong physical fighters and a healer with a Wall Soul Break, you should be able to pull it off.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Thanks for all the advice, nerds. This did get a shitload easier with those RMs.

Mastered FFXIII U+ with this party:

I ended up ditching Auron because while he's cool and all, Paradox Alpha resisted basically every move I had for him, and I needed a second buff caster so I could have a Curaja around on Yuna. Luckily, I already had Vanille's MC/MCII, and once again I nearly hosed myself over by not noticing I had her goddamn SSB until I decided to dump Auron. Still took one res to win, because I don't have the hones yet to make it all the way through; nearly every ability in my party is R1, except for a couple of breakdowns and Tempo Flurry. But with Ability Bonus +2 and the extra SB gauge from a res, I was able to win. Not sure if U++ is feasible yet.

I'm trying to save orbs for 5* abilities, but man, it's slow. And I imagine breaking 6* crystals to make 5* orbs would be a bit nuts given how rare they are.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm out of Gil again. That Orbfest can go ahead and drop any time now, please.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Jedi425 posted:

I'm trying to save orbs for 5* abilities, but man, it's slow. And I imagine breaking 6* crystals to make 5* orbs would be a bit nuts given how rare they are.

You can't even break crystals(or trade orbs up).

It's not even an accident, I think they've said they're never going to add that. (Who knows how long 'never' is.)

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

SageAcrin posted:

You can't even break crystals(or trade orbs up).

It's not even an accident, I think they've said they're never going to add that. (Who knows how long 'never' is.)

Well keep in mind that for a long time you couldn't convert orbs at all. So it's entirely possible that at some point in the future they will decide to allow conversion of orbs to crystals or vice versa.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

I'm out of Gil again. That Orbfest can go ahead and drop any time now, please.

Reforging has tanked my fortune from 50 mil to 27 mil, and it's only getting lower. I fear for my financial stability :ohdear:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Realms are a really good way to get some major orbs, and do the early nightmare bosses for a ton of them. If you can master a U+ you can do at least the first three of each nightmare, possibly all of them, and having full break will help you TONS in the future.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I just changed my rw to porom's ssb. I figure the unique buff is more desirable than sg at this point. It sure as hell is gonna help me take down the curada nightmare.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

flowinprose posted:

Well keep in mind that for a long time you couldn't convert orbs at all. So it's entirely possible that at some point in the future they will decide to allow conversion of orbs to crystals or vice versa.

It'll happen in the same update we get Blue Magic.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I understand wanting to control 6* abilities but goddamn they're just not worth how long it takes to forge one let alone hone it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I understand wanting to control 6* abilities but goddamn they're just not worth how long it takes to forge one let alone hone it.

I mean, the "how long it takes" is entirely a matter of waiting, and not frustrating repetitive farming, so while they're arguably a let down after the wait, infail to see how "clearing all the content and getting a sometimes very useful skill" isn't really worth it.

I mean, I play the game to play the game and beat as much of it as possible. In doing that, I'm going to get Meltdown and Curada and Snowspell Strike and Northern Cross and I'm gonna use them because they are in fact good and useful skills.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
It's not so bad to hone a couple to rank two if you got all the 6 star motes from the event a while back. I pretty much always use either Faris or Yuffie with a thief's revenge/mug bloodlust combo and 4 uses of Sky High turns your dragoon into a meat grinder if you have a wind imperil.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

the interminable waiting for the onion lad banner

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's called Orb Exchange, not Crystal Exchange. Geez, guys...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Alxprit posted:

It's called Orb Exchange, not Crystal Exchange. Geez, guys...

That doesn't preclude that you could exchange orbs for crystals, or vice versa. As long as orbs are on at least 1 side of the exchange.

• Locked thread