Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Pokemon good we don't get it in Europe until the 23rd

It's the first one since Emerald thats really grabbed me

also New X-Files was good I dunno what yall are on about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

also New X-Files was good I dunno what yall are on about

Good one

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Man, most player decisions in Tyranny can be summed thus:

Evil Faction A: We should poison our own well.
Evil Faction B: Let's not poison our own well.
Player: Yeah let's not poison our own well.
Evil Faction A: Ugh, favouritism.

It's a little funny, it's meditating conflicts between children

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

It's a little funny, it's meditating conflicts between children

[makes the local hand gesture for penis]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah I felt bad for doing what I did to that character, she's cool

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

I finished Link Between Worlds and have started Ocarina of Time and I think I prefer the top down Zeldas so far. Although it was cool that there's a Marin and Tarin equivalent, I didn't think I'd ever be seeing those dudes again. But if Talon is what the Zelda people think a realistic Mario would look like, Jesus Christ :stare:

Ocarina of Time is necessary for Majora's Mask to have its full impact, but the latter is by far my favorite Zelda game, followed by Wind Waker and Link's Awakening. The top down games I think largely have better puzzle design but the 3D ones generally have better atmosphere for me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wind Waker is the only 3D Zelda I like better than Link's Awakening, the Oracles, and Link Between Worlds.

But I like it a whole lot. I'm glad the new Zelda kinda uses a similar art style.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

Ocarina of Time is necessary for Majora's Mask to have its full impact, but the latter is by far my favorite Zelda game, followed by Wind Waker and Link's Awakening. The top down games I think largely have better puzzle design but the 3D ones generally have better atmosphere for me

Majora's Mask is one of my all time favorite games, it's such a strange and unique project for someone to do with arguably Nintendo's most hallowed franchise outside of Mario

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXuZe04BGog

Made another custom RB3 song. My sister's friend is a real good musical artist (I think he's a solo artist too??) so I also did one of his songs because I needed to make one that didn't have a set tempo for practice's sake. I think this one turned out great! Relatively simple to play, but also some fun hopo's. Also the count-in at the start isn't actually duplicated, I just used the final render's source audio over top of the game audio and it's offset just a tiny bit to sync up better.

HereComesEverybody
Mar 2, 2007

a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

Just finished the new Mirror's Edge, probably put 10-12 hours into it when all's said and done, and I really liked it. The main story is just long enough to be satisfying without wearing out its welcome. The sidequests are pretty much entirely time trials with different coats of paint, but I didn't mind because the parkour was quite fun and I just powered through the last few missions when it started to get old. The ending was pretty lame, though. Faith says, "well, we did this thing, and it didn't really change anything at all, but at least the spirit of revolution is alive and well!"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hello everyone i am back from my minneapolis trip!!!

i'm ready to get back to work and also get back to playing video games!! starting with Rhythm Heaven Megamix

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I've been meaning to get that one, I love all the Rhythm Heaven games. I even played the original GBA game in Japanese. :japan:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I gave the Overwatch free weekend a shot, and I am glad that I didn't have to pay like AU$70 to learn that I do not particularly enjoy playing Overwatch. Oh well, curiosity fed. I've been playing a lot of Titanfall 2 as well, it's very good but the player count on PC isn't very high and that's a drat shame. Hopefully sales and the free DLC they've promised will pick things up...

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
should I buy dark cloud or dark cloud 2 while it's on sale I need an awful rpg to sink my free time in to idk if this is a thread for game recommendations or some insane clique thread but help me anyways tia

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dark Cloud 2, it's much, much better than the first game and it weeds out the four thousand party members 1 had. It also has a stronger art direction imo.

64fanatic
Oct 21, 2008

So crazy? DON'T MIND IF I DO!
I pulled my 3DS out for Pokemon Moon, but I have been entirely out of the loop on what 3DS games have come out that are worth playing over the last few years. I haven't touched the device much beyond road trips with the Picross series. I could look up some top 10 lists I guess but they usually miss the lesser known titles altogether.

So I'll ask you guys, what are your favorite 3DS games that have come out since launch as of the current day that I should get around to playing?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

64fanatic posted:

I pulled my 3DS out for Pokemon Moon, but I have been entirely out of the loop on what 3DS games have come out that are worth playing over the last few years. I haven't touched the device much beyond road trips with the Picross series. I could look up some top 10 lists I guess but they usually miss the lesser known titles altogether.

So I'll ask you guys, what are your favorite 3DS games that have come out since launch as of the current day that I should get around to playing?

If you enjoy JRPGS and/or Pokemon - mind you I am massively biased - try Shin Megami Tensei IV / IV:A. It's a drat fine meaty jrpg where you run around fighting demons and convincing them to join you. The best in the franchise is on the PS2, alas, but IV and its sequel/side-story Apocalypse are real solid. (Note: like Final Fantasy most games in the franchise are standalones. You're as fine starting here as you are with the Persona series.)

If you enjoy long, meaty weird stories with puzzles, the 999 / Virtue's Last Reward / Zero Time Dilemma series is well worth the effort. The first one is for the DS, but I think 3DSes can do DS games, so check it out!

If you like SRPGs, Devil Survivor: Overclocked is fun! Tokyo's infested with demons, recruit them and try to escape/figure out why demons are invading/how to stop it. It's a spin-off (kind of) of the SMT series, but is a standalone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ace Attorneys 5 and 6 are very good games. The remasters of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are really well-done and pretty up both games a lot. Mario 3D Land is really fun and challenging, although it feels a bit quaint compared to 3D world's insane wealth of features. New Super Mario Bros 2 is decently fun, though the DLC is not worth getting. Link Between Worlds is one of the best Zelda games ever made!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Finally got some good old fashioned LP recording done with my brother this week. It was fun. :allears:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

64fanatic posted:

Kid Icarus motherfucking Uprising

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also
Ocarina of Time 3D
Majora's Mask 3D
Link Between Worlds
Star Fox 64 3D
Resident Evil Revelaitons
Animal Crossing New Leaf Amiibo Arrival Hooray
Bravely Default
Etrian Odyssey 4
Fire Emblem Awakening
Fire Emblem Fates
Super Mario 3D Land
Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Kirby Robobobobobobot
LuigiMans
Mario Kart 7
Harvest Moon New Beginning

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Fantasy Life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was doing the Rock Band thing so I didn't have much time for game development yesterday, but I still made a little bit of progress, so here's your update for the day:

http://puu.sh/snlch/d28e4752e4.webm

Feast your eyes on my incredible boss sprite. I made my first enemy that has more than 1 attack and multiple ranges at which to do the attacks (and a sort-of random timer for deciding when to attack when in range), which was pretty hard and confusing. But I'm glad I got it working without too much hassle.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 19, 2016

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

ArtIsResistance posted:

should I buy dark cloud or dark cloud 2 while it's on sale I need an awful rpg to sink my free time in to idk if this is a thread for game recommendations or some insane clique thread but help me anyways tia

Dark Cloud 2; it made a lot of improvements to the basic gameplay, added a shitload of side content and feels way less repetitive. I was looking forward to replaying Dark Cloud so much and now I can't even finish it despite only having like 12 floors left of the final dungeon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://puu.sh/snnFV/0d65011d11.webm

There, that's much better! The animation is real basic, no smoothing or those action lines I put on the other skeletons, but it's just a test. Once I get all 4 attacks blocked out and coded properly, then I'll refine the animations themselves.

edit: By the way, eventually enemies will deal contact damage so you won't be able to do what I do in the webm and just walk behind them during the windup. Instead I'll be including a roll button that you tap to do so in whichever direction you're moving (you can't jump) that will let you dodge through attacks and enemies.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 19, 2016

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

64fanatic posted:

Some good smaller eshop titles:
Boxboy
Boxboxboy
Pocket Card Jockey
and I have heard good things about Gotta Protectors.

64fanatic
Oct 21, 2008

So crazy? DON'T MIND IF I DO!
Well that is a good list to start with. Cool, thanks StrixNebulosa, Looper, Lurdiak, Lizard Wizard, zedo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Good morning everybody!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am going to see Fantastic Beasts today. Otherwise I am not sure what video games I want to play this weekend, maybe Overwatch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've been playing Far Cry 3, and that game is really fun when it's not remembering it's supposed to be an FPS.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gonna check out Overwatch this weekend. Played the tutorial with Tracer and 76 last night but the rest of the characters were unavailable. I'm assuming that was because the full download hasn't completed yet.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I got that Titanfall 2. It was cool when Origin showed that I can already play the game even though I was in the middle of downloading. It was less cool when it turned out it's just the tutorial with a really boring time trial section and everything else still needs a full download. I actually liked beating the CSGO trial scores but here I had enough after like 2 tries.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccgkxP-4tVE

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

64fanatic posted:

pokemon super mystery dungeon is very good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

I got that Titanfall 2. It was cool when Origin showed that I can already play the game even though I was in the middle of downloading. It was less cool when it turned out it's just the tutorial with a really boring time trial section and everything else still needs a full download. I actually liked beating the CSGO trial scores but here I had enough after like 2 tries.

I actually really liked the time trial in that game because it showed me early that traversal wasn't like a COD game. After j beat it once and it was like "alright try to beat the next time" and the ghost showed me a completely different path through the level. And then it happened again with the next tier etc. it's pretty smart

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In defense of darkcloud 1, its much much simpler than 2 to the point where there is a really enjoyable purity to the gameplay loop. 2 is good and has amazing story and characters but you will play for 8 hours before you ever build anything and then spend another bunch of hours waiting for the game to fully explain its super deep and complicated systems and let you work with them freely. For me it goes too far in its evolution of the series without actually fixing the crumby dungeon combat or camera.

When i want to play darkcloud, i know i can be playing right away in dc1 and thats what i like about it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

You can also easily glitch yourself into maxing all the upgrades real quick if you think there's too much stuff to upgrade(there is)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i saw Arrival and thought that was good and thought the twist was better than Interstellar's nonsense

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Itagaki Tomonobu interview with Polygon about the past and future. Apparently Devil's Third is going to be a trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AEHvoqG_OI

• Locked thread