Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Agreed, there's only an issue when they're spouting lies and have a dedicated base. Even people compared to Limbaugh (like Cenk, but moreso Bill Maher) operate on facts and generally live in reality.

Let's not just give lip service to bold progressives - support them!

Watch Colbert on TV, not Youtubes.

His ratings are down and his opening monologue is going to be one of the only things that gets us through the next four years. If "the right" is allowed to boycott him off the air, we're all less for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

PJOmega posted:

It's been growing over the last year and change. When I was visiting home (Ventura County) last Christmas I went and got a haircut. Midway through the cut he starts talking about moving up to Montana because "they're like 99% white." He went on for a few minutes while I was utterly gobsmacked before I got up, tossed half the cost onto the chair and left to get it fixed elsewhere.

Hell, the week before the election I was getting a massage and near the end my masseuse, who had been silent up until that point, started voicing right wing talking points. Then he got visibly angry when I didn't mirror his views and noped out ten minutes early.

I've said it elsewhere, but in all these interactions I had the privilege of only being disgusted. Of course they both would be too cowardly to say any of this to someone who wasn't a white guy but holy poo poo.

"Excuse me, isn't the goal of a massage to make the customer more relaxed? So why are you discussing politics?"

Also I hope you talked to their respective managers at some point. Also also, Ventura County buddy! (Not born there but lived in Camarillo for some childhood years).

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I'm a huge fan of tone arguments among the left while we are getting literal fascist populist cabinet assignments and a congress that look like the loving Reichstag c. 1932

"But Olbermann isn't careful about what he says!!!"

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Chilichimp posted:

His ratings are down and his opening monologue is going to be one of the only things that gets us through the next four years. If "the right" is allowed to boycott him off the air, we're all less for it.

This is a losing battle, most of us don't watch TV at all any more. Much less late night TV. I feel for Colbert and consider him a great role model for any satirist, but he's stuck in a medium that is being rapidly abandoned as more people come of age.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm a huge fan of tone arguments among the left while we are getting literal fascist populist cabinet assignments and a congress that look like the loving Reichstag c. 1932

"But Olbermann isn't careful about what he says!!!"

Tone arguments are the only thing that separates liberalism from elitist conservatism; take that away and how will the be able to feel morally superior?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

So last week I mentioned I was surprised that Levin showed some level of decorum by being opposed to Giuliani on the grounds that he would be overly political and witch-hunty as AG. Turns out he only said that because Giuliani went after Levin's old corrupt as gently caress boss, Ed Meese, in the 80s.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Moktaro posted:

"Excuse me, isn't the goal of a massage to make the customer more relaxed? So why are you discussing politics?"

Also I hope you talked to their respective managers at some point. Also also, Ventura County buddy! (Not born there but lived in Camarillo for some childhood years).

Barber was the owner of his shop, so no one to complain to. Spoke with the manager of the massage envy. It's not that I wanted him fired (though even without the politics it was a half-assed massage) but at least spoken to from someone who wasn't literally in their hands at the time.

Which I suppose feels like the biggest difference between left and right at this time. One side doesn't want to inconvenience the other, and the other side views every other side (including inside) as literally Satan.

Ah Camarilla, the land of fire and strawberries. And theoretically vampires I suppose.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

At that point the massage is over, they wanna throw down about politics and not take a hint, i'll throw down

If you aren't willing to defend your beliefs to huge loving lunatics then you need to believe in them harder

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ive been getting good mileage asking them if they need a safe space

basically just turn around all the attacks they've been indoctrinated to believe are instantly valid right back on them. instead of arguing, just throw out another attack. make poo poo up if you need, have fun out there! We live in a post-mattering world!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I once had a barber start talking to me about how Snowden was a traitor and should be executed. Thing is we live in Canada so it was really weird how enraged he was getting. I just nodded and smiled politely because he had multiple razors near my face and neck.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
To the surprise of absolutely nobody, Rush Limbaugh thinks that Trump's cabinet appointments so far are top of the line, above reproach, bipartisan, exemplary and superb.

You don't even have to wait for it anymore. He's like "coming up: here's who Trump has picked and why they're awesome. Here's something a Democrat said or did and why that sucked." Hannity is the same way.

"I don't care that the Trump cabinet doesn't 'look like America'" - a thing Limbaugh said today in response to everyone appointed so far being old and white.

I gleaned all this from about 2 minutes of listening.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think the main problem with Colbert's ratings is that his audience skews younger and that kind of show is usually watched by older people. At least he's getting paid...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Epic High Five posted:

ive been getting good mileage asking them if they need a safe space

basically just turn around all the attacks they've been indoctrinated to believe are instantly valid right back on them. instead of arguing, just throw out another attack. make poo poo up if you need, have fun out there! We live in a post-mattering world!

I do this when I don't respect the person in question or if I don't care about(or know I can't) convince them. It works like gangbusters. "Oh sorry, was I not being politically correct enough for you, racist?".

For the rest I take my time and moderate my tone. Malcom X was important to civil rights just like MLK Jr. Sometimes you need a confrontation to make the negotiators seem reasonable.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Agreed, there's only an issue when they're spouting lies and have a dedicated base. Even people compared to Limbaugh (like Cenk, but moreso Bill Maher) operate on facts and generally live in reality.

Let's not just give lip service to bold progressives - support them!

Nah, I don't want to watch a bunch of cable TV garbage just because they agree with me about unions and civil rights.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Nah, I don't want to watch a bunch of cable TV garbage just because they agree with me about unions and civil rights.

Cable news is all garbage and has always been garbage

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rexicon1 posted:

This is a losing battle, most of us don't watch TV at all any more. Much less late night TV. I feel for Colbert and consider him a great role model for any satirist, but he's stuck in a medium that is being rapidly abandoned as more people come of age.

CBS needs to get with the loving times, and simulcast on their website.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Mister Macys posted:

Yeah it's kind of shocking to me that every major media production doesn't just stream online simultaneously or the same day at least.

Hopefully we are only a few years from a major transitioning into this. You can add commercials in streams, and I'll wait through commercials because it actually supports the shows I'm watching.

With news programs they could even include live fact checking and insert related links/sources alongside the live feed. I know they probably would never do that but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's one of the things I appreciate most about Maddow's show; every segment is a video.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Mister Macys posted:

There's a whole bunch of contractual bullshit that prevents this from happening, including non-trivial stuff having to do with ads, both local and national.

Check out http://antennaweb.org - you can pair a modern flat HDTV antenna with a device like a Silicondust HDHR Extend and do in-house streaming to anything you care about. If you have an old Windows Vista or 7, or 8 machine laying around then you also have access to one of the best DVR programs out there, free. (It's best not just because the UI is awesome - the skip ahead feature is 30 seconds by default.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RasperFat posted:

Yeah it's kind of shocking to me that every major media production doesn't just stream online simultaneously or the same day at least.

Hopefully we are only a few years from a major transitioning into this. You can add commercials in streams, and I'll wait through commercials because it actually supports the shows I'm watching.

With news programs they could even include live fact checking and insert related links/sources alongside the live feed. I know they probably would never do that but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard.

If memory serves, CBS News is behind a paywall for streaming. I know it is on Apple TV.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

RasperFat posted:

Seems like something local broadcast affiliates could get in on. You're already pumping out kilowatts from a TV tower which people can watch for free, why not add a multicast stream from the same feed your transmitter runs off of?

Although I suppose this would kill paid streaming for sports if anyone could just connect to a local broadcast station stream from halfway across the country for free.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chilichimp posted:

The only people who matter for ratings are people who are actively a Nielsen media household. Random goons watching Colbert accomplishes nothing.

Of course if you know someone who actually is monitored for ratings, it doesn't hurt to get them to watch shows you want supported. Because they effectively represent thousands on thousands of actual viewers in the statistics.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

McGlockenshire posted:

There's a whole bunch of contractual bullshit that prevents this from happening, including non-trivial stuff having to do with ads, both local and national.

If they're too stupid to have a First Party exception for streaming their own content on their own website, then they deserve to fail.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Mister Macys posted:

If they're too stupid to have a First Party exception for streaming their own content on their own website, then they deserve to fail.

The networks are called "networks," for a reason. Part of the money they make is from local affiliates paying them for their content. Buyers (the affiliates) typically don't usually want to pay if the value of the thing they are buying could be undercut at any moment by the seller (the network). This was a big problem in the early 2000's when streaming video on network websites started to become more of a thing. They had to renegotiate some contracts and give some handouts to local affiliates to make it happen, and there was some weirdness with sync rights for music on internet broadcasts for some shows.

The big 4 networks aren't going to fail. They own the rights to all the content and own the brand. Enough old people who are influenced by advertising still exist. They started the process of unwinding the affiliate relationships years ago. Affiliates are the ones who are real hosed. Many of them used the extra advertising money they made on local news. As fewer people actually watch their local affiliates budgets for that are being cut. You'll probably see the death of most local news outside of larger cities.

The future is all the big network websites looking like HBO Go and local television news going away.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 19, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

To be honest, in this age of mergers and consolidation, I figured by this point that the big Networks outright owned their affiliate stations (the same way corporate radio took over), and that they (as employees) had no say in the matter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Considering how godawful most local news is now, I don't think anything of value will be lost. It's basically 10 minutes of violent crime reports followed by the weather and some sports.

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
I think I might have seen it in this thread, but does anyone have that 'First they came for' poem, the one that was edited so the final bits were all post-election platitudes like 'I respect the peaceful transference of power'?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

This motherfucker can join Ramirez and Maureen Dowd on the wall of Pulitzer Prize winners: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...eacb_story.html

gently caress boomers.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

PJOmega posted:

Barber was the owner of his shop, so no one to complain to. Spoke with the manager of the massage envy. It's not that I wanted him fired (though even without the politics it was a half-assed massage) but at least spoken to from someone who wasn't literally in their hands at the time.

Which I suppose feels like the biggest difference between left and right at this time. One side doesn't want to inconvenience the other, and the other side views every other side (including inside) as literally Satan.

Ah Camarilla, the land of fire and strawberries. And theoretically vampires I suppose.

And white horses, at least in the past. Made me sad when I drove through some years ago and found the farm completely abandoned.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AlouetteNR posted:

I think I might have seen it in this thread, but does anyone have that 'First they came for' poem, the one that was edited so the final bits were all post-election platitudes like 'I respect the peaceful transference of power'?

If this was what you were thinking about, about two pages back?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

BiggerBoat posted:

"I don't care that the Trump cabinet doesn't 'look like America'" - a thing Limbaugh said today in response to everyone appointed so far being old and white.

"I care that they think like America!" So yeah, Rush was basically implying "Anyone who isn't an old white male isn't a true American."

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Considering how godawful most local news is now, I don't think anything of value will be lost. It's basically 10 minutes of violent crime reports followed by the weather and some sports.

Some of the local news affiliates in my area have begun live streaming on their Facebook pages. I guess that's one way to keep viewers.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

If memory serves, CBS News is behind a paywall for streaming. I know it is on Apple TV.

If you have a PS4, there's a CBS News app. It's free, and not behind a "Please choose your cable provider" bullshit wall. Just load and go.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Phone posted:

This motherfucker can join Ramirez and Maureen Dowd on the wall of Pulitzer Prize winners: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...eacb_story.html

Jesus gently caress again?!

"durr hurr millennials r lazy and pussies :downs:"

there is simply not enough :smug: in that clickbait article

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 19, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This cabinet so far is not filling me with optimism, especially since RW pundits are loving them. It's cartoonish in its villainy. From what I've been able to gather, Trump has little to zero interest in being President. He just wants the title and the attention that goes with it - think big gold letters on the White House. Jeff loving Sessions and Steve Bannon? Palin is under consideration for Sec of Interior? Jesus Christ.

This is beginning to remind me of GWB, where an idiot, self entitled man-child has the "title" while underlings make all the real decisions (Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rove, Powell, etc.). We all remember how that worked out.

When it all inevitably tanks, it will all be blamed on the media and college professors. Sad, folks. Very very sad.

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

If this was what you were thinking about, about two pages back?

That is exactly it! Don't know how I missed it, thanks!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

BiggerBoat posted:

This cabinet so far is not filling me with optimism, especially since RW pundits are loving them. It's cartoonish in its villainy. From what I've been able to gather, Trump has little to zero interest in being President. He just wants the title and the attention that goes with it - think big gold letters on the White House. Jeff loving Sessions and Steve Bannon? Palin is under consideration for Sec of Interior? Jesus Christ.

This is beginning to remind me of GWB, where an idiot, self entitled man-child has the "title" while underlings make all the real decisions (Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rove, Powell, etc.). We all remember how that worked out.

When it all inevitably tanks, it will all be blamed on the media and college professors. Sad, folks. Very very sad.

Bush-era awfulness is the best case scenario. For all his faults, he wasn't tossing into open white supremacists, attacking every petty slight with an army of zealots, proposing to make protests a form of terrorism, milking all the money he could for his personal business, demanding millions be put into internment camps, or requiring remedial lessons on what the president actually has to do. No, this is an entirely new level of evil that white rage has unleashed that right wing media will gladly defend.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

"I care that they think like America!" So yeah, Rush was basically implying "Anyone who isn't an old white male isn't a true American."

The right believes that, yes. If you aren't a male WASP they think you should get out/die/be rounded up into work camps. In the last case it's because you're obviously inferior and lazy and need to be forcibly taught the value of hard work.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a shame, because it's not like Fox News is going to dig into corruption by local politicians. But on the other hand yeah local news sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Bernie proved that there's mental space in America for angry, uncompromising leftist voices. If Olbermann is not succeeding it's because cable news has no interest in appealing to non insanely super old people

We need more frothing lunatics on the left, not less

Personally, I think Keith is amazing. Some people dislike his style but it's straight out of Network and that's rad.

Here's my suggestion : Chapo Trap House TV. The "dirtbag left" needs their own channel too. http://www.newyorker.com/culture/persons-of-interest/what-will-become-of-the-dirtbag-left