Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

Katana wasn't a villain.

Neither were flag, deadshot, or Harley

Jamesman posted:

So that 90's-era CG lady doing a non-stop shimmy that reminds me of a Shaq gif isn't a joke someone edited in?

How? :psyduck:

Yeah, that's what me n xo are saying. It was real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jamesman posted:

So that 90's-era CG lady doing a non-stop shimmy that reminds me of a Shaq gif isn't a joke someone edited in?

Nope that's the actual villain of the film.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

X-O posted:

Nope that's the actual villain of the film.

No, that would be David Ayer.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lobok posted:

As much as writers and fans try to push the idea that she is in an abusive relationship I think most people can't tell or won't care because they so easily fit a Bonnie & Clyde mold and that's way more fun of an idea for them.

Starting their relationship with literal torture should be a pretty obvious tip-off. That and every other depiction of their relationship being pretty obviously abusive, all the way back to the animated series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chaos Hippy posted:

Starting their relationship with literal torture should be a pretty obvious tip-off. That and every other depiction of their relationship being pretty obviously abusive, all the way back to the animated series.

I'm not saying it's going over my head. Just that people might believe what they want to believe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's so weird how in SS they clearly did look at the comics as there's a lot of stuff that is straight out of them, but it's really lip service because they wanted to create awesome edgy internet age heroic villains.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SS was also just an absolutely terribly put together movie. Things like making it blindingly obvious who was going to bite it right away, is it the guys who have elaborate intros or the guy who just kind of shows up? Or the bizarre decision to put a flashback 3/4 of the way through showing exactly how Enchantress betrayed Flag, we already knew she betrayed Flag in the first place, why save that scene for later?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was a massive bidding war over Cara Delevinge and holy poo poo is she a lovely actress. I bet the exec who pulled for her super hard got fired pretty goddamned fast.

Also a reminder that SS may have been bad but it made a fuckload of money so there's going to be like three sequels and five spinoffs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder if part of it is they knew Harley Quinn was a character everyone wanted to see, but just making a Batman movie with her in the Joker might not be the best option because while there is a decent number of people who will consume anything involving the Joker, they were worried audiences would just see a rehash of The Dark Knight.

So they figured oh hey lets make a movie out of Suicide Squad. She's in it, plus they can have bad guys who do bad things and people love that, and we can try to tap into the Guardians audience.

So they slapped something together that was more committee driven than anyone's creative vision. They knew they could sell millions of Harley and Joker costumes, and possible launch a movie series involving her.

Why were people fighting for Cara Delevinge? Isn't her only real skills are being kinda hot and not shy to get naked, and being Taylor Swift's bff?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She got a lot of praise for Paper Towns.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Why were people fighting for Cara Delevinge? Isn't her only real skills are being kinda hot and not shy to get naked, and being Taylor Swift's bff?

I'm assuming it was because of her popularity as a VS model.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

There was a massive bidding war over Cara Delevinge and holy poo poo is she a lovely actress. I bet the exec who pulled for her super hard got fired pretty goddamned fast.

Also a reminder that SS may have been bad but it made a fuckload of money so there's going to be like three sequels and five spinoffs.

Maybe next time they won't let a trailer company edit it? We can hope. The movie still wouldn't have been good, but it might have been better. Or not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"but Marvel fanboys are to blame for the DCU movies' lovely Rotten Tomatoes scores!" :laugh:

I thought it was because Disney bribes critics to give DCEU moves bad reviews.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

Actually sort of reminds me of Erykah Badu in The Blues Brothers 2000.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Even without studio meddling or all the pop songs, Suicide Squad would be been mediocre at best. The third act is so bad. I also really didn't like the Batman scene with Deadshot, and every scene with the Joker except the one where he breaks Harley out at the end were ehhh. That break out should have been his only scene in the movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think they missed what is supposed to be the tipping point in showing "No, Joker isn't just a bad man, he abuses the poo poo out of her". He should've pushed her out of the helicopter or something once it looked like she was harming his ability to escape. Or shrugged off her capture like she was replaceable. Because The Joker in the present seems like he loves her pretty genuinely and that's just so wrong.

Mover posted:

And, like, Venom, incredibly tied to Spider-Man in the comics historically but the most recent few runs featuring the symbiote have had about 1% Spider-Man in them if that, because the idea of an alien symbiote that has the crazy Prototype-esque levels of shapeshifting and versatility, that has it's own primitive mind but takes a sentient host, giving and taking as it empowers the host but also influences their behavior in interesting ways, is strong both as a storytelling hook and very, very visually interesting even as an independent property.

Is any of the non-Spidey Venom stuff good? I wouldn't expect it to be, but I would love to be surprised.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Agent Venom and Venom: Space Knight were both good and very interesting, they did a lot of good for both Flash Thompson's character and the entire symbiote race.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I just saw how much Suicide Club made and wow, its a poo poo ton of money. 745MM. Why would DC want to change a thing regarding it?

EDIT: Not changing my error, just leaving it there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Because The Joker in the present seems like he loves her pretty genuinely and that's just so wrong.

A lot of abusers actually do genuinely care for the person they abuse and justify their behavior in that way. A Joker who legitimately thinks he's being caring when he's being loving awful could be an interesting interpretation and help show the idea that someone caring for you don't mean they're not abusive. SS is not the movie to pull that off though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

I just saw how much Suicide Club made and wow, its a poo poo ton of money. 745MM. Why would DC want to change a thing regarding it?

EDIT: Not changing my error, just leaving it there.

There could be a big risk of "A lot of people went to go see it without knowing anything about it, and now everyone knows it's poo poo and won't see another." Like Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Not that I'm saying DC is going to stop all their plans for their movie universe or anything. Just that I don't think they're looking at another Suicide Squad movie at the moment, and are instead looking for another Harley Quinn vehicle.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

X-O posted:

I think so yeah. The voiceover was so bad that I instantly I felt bad for the people involved in making the film that thought it worked in any way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My0mX_SukDo&t=109s

Jesus . . . I've been waiting until it came on DVD to watch for the first time just because maybe a director's cut would improve it. But wow that looks like garbage. No amount of editing or deleted scenes could fix that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I've never actually seen Lobok's argument before (most of the time this conversation ends up turning into a nonsensical "well what if I want to be in an abusive relationship, huh? Huh?" direction) and I actually agree that there shouldn't be anything stopping just making something different from other portrayals.

But I feel like if you did want to make Joker and Harley's relationship like that, you have to go full bore into being its own thing and stop making awed references to the versions of the relationship that were outright abusive.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

I think they missed what is supposed to be the tipping point in showing "No, Joker isn't just a bad man, he abuses the poo poo out of her". He should've pushed her out of the helicopter or something once it looked like she was harming his ability to escape. Or shrugged off her capture like she was replaceable. Because The Joker in the present seems like he loves her pretty genuinely and that's just so wrong.

Is any of the non-Spidey Venom stuff good? I wouldn't expect it to be, but I would love to be surprised.

Yeah, I very much enjoyed the 2011-2013 Venom which is the Agent Venom stuff, with Rick Remender and then Cullen Bunn writing.

The Guardians of the Galaxy and then Venom: Space Knight stuff is weaker IMO but not terrible by any means if the main series leaves you craving more

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

David Leitch, director of John Wick, is confirmed as director of Deadpool 2.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/deadpool-2-director-david-leitch-john-wick-1201922178/

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/deadpool-2-director-david-leitch-john-wick-1201922178/

Wade is gonna shoot so many people in the head.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Official Action Figure of the Vulture in Spider-Man: Homecoming leaked.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That helmet is an odd choice. Did no one watch the original Raimi Spider-Man and learn anything?

I'm still getting used to the idea that Keaton is playing a bird villain after doing Birdman, it's really weird

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Weird choice to have a sushi bar in Georgia design your figures, but we'll see if the gamble pays off for Sony.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ah so spidey is gonna beat up a homeless man

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

That seems like a wise choice.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

FlamingLiberal posted:

That helmet is an odd choice. Did no one watch the original Raimi Spider-Man and learn anything?

I'm still getting used to the idea that Keaton is playing a bird villain after doing Birdman, it's really weird
I mean its probably for practical purposes since he doesn't want his identity revealed (I'm assuming) and maybe he flies fast and doesn't want poo poo getting in his eyes.

The bomber flight suit is a pretty good reimagining of his original costume.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
He reminds me of Arkham Firefly. Except somehow not as cool.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I like the bomber jacket

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SonicRulez posted:

He reminds me of Arkham Firefly. Except somehow not as cool.
I know I'm going to sound really defensive, especially since some people think its destined to bomb and fail because Sony will somehow gently caress this up, but I'm sure Michael Keaton will make it work, when has he given a bad performance?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

How embarrassing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh. Oh no.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So here's a thing

http://www.cbr.com/report-justice-l...FB-P&view=lista

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watch it be Simon and he only uses his gun.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

I...actually really like this. The bomber jacket and mechanical wings is a cool look. I can't really see details of the helmet, but I'm not totally against the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I think it woulda been cooler if his origin was somehow related to getting another Falcon suit prototype and weaponizing it. I have literally no idea what they're doing for this movie.

• Locked thread