Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i find it more likely that garland just took kuja and zidane on the invincible to educate them on what they need to do when they grow up. of course this would also fit the time when kuja hid zidane from garland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Simply Simon posted:

Of loving course he will do it.

He actually accounted for that? :stare:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Memoria is just really great. I said that already probably. Every screen is something different, every (or at least most) screen has a unique battle stage. The monsters are cool too. I always appreciate a goofy jrpg chimera, and these ones rule. This series has good chimeras.

I like that Vivi gets his last spell right at the end if you do all the treasure hunting first. I always switch him to the High Mage Staff after he learns it though, I just really like the design and he's one of the characters who doesn't really need his strongest weapon to be optimal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

What was everyones final party? For me, I went with the true final four: Zidane, Vivi, Steiner and Garnet. Only recently during a new game did I focus on using different members, I think I ended up using Freya, Amarant and Eiko for that run and enjoyed it a lot.

Vivi/Steiner/Garnet/Freya. Because Vivi deserves to be the lead for the final battle(s).

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Iretep posted:

i find it more likely that garland just took kuja and zidane on the invincible to educate them on what they need to do when they grow up. of course this would also fit the time when kuja hid zidane from garland.

Kuja took Zidane to Gaia and abandoned him there 12 years ago, and the disaster at Madain Sari happened 10 years ago, so that wouldn't work out.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He actually accounted for that? :stare:
It's probably more like the original guide before the sidequest was found was so efficient that he had the half hour or whatever you need to spare! I know I read somewhere that you can do the Perfect Game Challenge on the European version juuuuust so because of that extra time, but it's cutting it really close (remember, PAL is 50 Hz, not 60!), I doubt that the Tantalus sidequest is possible if you are sitting in Germany gazing at your ol' PSX right now.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

As a minor note, if you have Steiner use Doomsday Sword (remember Sword Magic?), it hits all opponents, but not your own party. Incidentally, it's also the only Sword Magic to hit more than one target.

Plus it looks the best as Steiner just swings his sword as a giant meteor crashes through the atmosphere behind him.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

grandalt posted:

Because Ark is a Terran Eidolon. Well, that would be the most logical guess for why.

Ark is the Terran version of Alexander. Robotic, Dark as opposed to Alexander's Holy, attacks using red lasers as a counterpart to Alexander's blue, summoned by a stone that was broken into pieces.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: Gitan ran into to see what was noise and saw that it was naked Ozma. "Oh no, is Ozma!"

Let's chat about everyone's favorite giant hate orb, Ozma. This loving thing seems impossible at level 1, but the only real difference between regular levels and level 1 is that Meteor and Curse are always lethal instead of usually lethal.

But to get to that point, we must understand Ozma's moves, and she has a lot!

First up, Death. It skips a lot of the rigamarole of other attacks and inflicts death directly. Ozma has a 141% chance to hit before magic evasion, and our gear for this fight gives Death a low but appreciated chance to miss.

Ozma's Curaga counter, even on a low roll like this, adds another attack we have to land. Frustrating!

Curse one-shots the entire party. And it makes the attacks off of Berserk weaker. The other ailments are wiped on KO so ailment resistance is straight pointless.

Flare one-shots a single person. However, its long animation means the other three get full ATB pretty much assuredly, and one KO isn't quite the entire party.

Berserk wastes time by 1) canceling any entered commands 2) Forcing someone into an awful physical (Ozma has a staggering 30 defense) 3) making someone else (usually Bort) use a Ghysal Green to cure it.

Most of the time, it just cancels an attack and then is cured when Curse one-shots the entire party.

Flare Star hits for level*50 damage, or 50 at level 1. Gitan, Bort, and Ratchel get away with no problem, but Quark is usually at 1, and it'll down anyone who's only up from Auto-Life.

Meteor one-shots the entire party. The most common cause of wipes is Curse and Meteor in some order.

Holy one-shots a single person without Holy resistance. In this set-up, only Quark is open.

Not seen are Lv. 5 Death and Lv. 4 Holy, because Ozma will never cast them at level 1. And Mini, which never showed up for whatever reason. And Absorb MP because like hell I am trying that.

Most of the time you just wipe to curse.

Wiping is common. Don't despair, though.

The fight is highly lethal. Ozma only has 55,535 HP.

But Ozma is just as capable of ending you.

Unless Rebirth Flame kicks in...!

...oh.

Meteor has extreme damage ranges. This would be helpful for normal people.

Quark tried it on their own, but instead demonstrated that I have only one person open to Holy.

This is a lot of wipes to Curse to Meteor.

Or Meteor to Curse.

Haha, everyone Auto-lifed through the Curse but then got plugged by Flare Star!

This you shouldn't feel too bad about, even a level 99 party would be in tatters from this.

You know, all these wipes to Curse and I haven't even posted my set-ups.

Gitan has a shadow immunity off of the Ninja Gear, and holy off of the Chimera Armlet, and is otherwise going for speed.

Bort has a Pumice Piece for holy/shadow protection and is otherwise +magic because I want to pretend her Holy can help (it doesn't, Ozma has an improbable 70 magic defense).

Ratchel has the other Pumice Piece and is, like Gitan, equipped for speed.

Quark has only the Egoist's Armlet for shadow protection, and just the Green Beret for speed.

Everyone has Auto-Life equipped. Ratchel and Gitan have Bird Killer as a hail mary if Berserk hits them.

Oh, right, Shadow Protection. There's one move of Ozma's I didn't mention.

Doomsday is the best action you could ever see from Ozma. Completing the Friendly Monster sidequest changes her Shadow absorption to a weakness.

So she plugs herself for 9,999, and the party is unaffected. Quark nulls it even, to not leave Limit Glove HP.

Gitan uses Thievery the whole fight. He has enough MP to use four, more than enough.

Quark of course uses Limit Glove. They has the MP for four as well, and the one HP restriction is no problem since everything Ozma does to them is lethal or completely nullified.

Bort tosses the Dark Matter if she has nothing more important to do. It deals 9,999 damage. After this she's on duty to cure Berserks and use Ethers on Ratchel if she needs.

Dragon Crest costs 16 MP, and Ratchel has two uses before empty.

Let's talk about me for a bit. The first time I had heard of the level 1 challenge was way back when, on a webpage of RPG achievements with videos of a few to download. One of them was fighting Ozma with a level 1 party. It was unbelievable that someone could get to that point at level 1, but to win, too? It was in Russian, so I didn't even know the gear set-ups.

Another thing stuck with me. The audio was replaced with X-Japan's Blue Blood. Timed nigh-perfectly with the action. It made the feats all the more impressive.

And it fits the challenge. Look out! I'm raving mad!

So why am I saying all of this now? Well, there's something I neglected to mention about Flare Star.

It can miss.

This was the successful run all along.

I used the thesaurus!

It's a matter of counting to six. Doomsday, Thievery, Limit Glove, Dark Matter, Dragon's Crest, Thievery.

Ozma has 55,535 HP to spare. Or should I say, had?

Pose with your fancy lightsaber, GItan. You've earned it.

He's not going to learn anything from it, though. Virus blocks the 65,535 experience reward.

The rewards are pointless in general, really. Who cares, it's about being able to say a level 1 party beat Ozma.

It did. :smug:

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset; incredible number of resets for phoenix down RNG; and then again; Marcus gained levels; Snared by the Mandragoras leaving Quan's Dwelling; Only one on a pointless phoenix down rng; Antlion did not cooperate; Again, Antlion did not cooperate; Soldiers beaten too hard once; twice; thrice; Gitan lied Cleyrans died; Tinhank and Marcus didn't make it; bonus fourth Soldier beating; Alexandrian Gauntlet toll: Beatrix 3, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 2, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 1, Beatrix 3; Knuckleheaded death to Ralvuimago; Actually two of them; dunked by Hilgigars; Stroper sweepstakes; resources depleted by zombies; Stroper sweepstakes 2; ran out of magic tags; Stroper sweepstakes 3; Auto-Potion; Beaten to Bort; zombie-on-zombie violence; more zombie-on-zombie violence; Stroper sweepstakes 4; Stroper sweepstakes 5; Magic Elevator Ride zombies: Gitan striked, Roulette suicide, Roulette suicide 2, Gitan striked 2; Counter and Auto-Potion do not mix; Ramuh and Shiva insisted on sucking; Forgot the Forgotten chocobo tracks; got hosed up on the way; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph grinding is risky; Desert Palace Random Encounters: Annoying, Dangerous, Random, Bullshit, gently caress, Dammit, Why; Bishop removed Zombie; Grand Dragon Thundaga; Yan'd; Friendly Yan'd; Why did the gargoyle die; these resets aren't alone: Abadon, Abadon, Abadon, Shell Dragon; Random encounter Mistodon wipe; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA; OZMA.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ozma is a real rear end in a top hat about using Curse when you have a chance of healing up from low HP.

That was a pretty clutch win, though. :golfclap:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
well he's not as classy as Mr Stroper
but he has his record beat at least

nice dodge Gitan

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord you did it and you didn't even need to go into the double digits. I'm amazed.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Don't totally mean to be nit-picky, but, Mega -
what's a Siren's Flure?

Mega64 posted:

gently caress Tetra Master

*Mega opens the door to his room. Soft jazz music is playing. Candles are lit. On his bed, the embodiment of Tetra Master - Card Freak Gon. Waiting with a rose between his teeth*
"Be gentle. I'm not very experienced with this."

:gonk:*Mega's scream can be heard on the other side of the planet*

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean, the level one run probably doesn't get much easier from here on out,

but still dude that's nuts. Kudos on the successful insanity.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Grats, OFS! Nice to see Ozma is completely doable at L1 with only a bit of insanity patience.

SorataYuy posted:

Don't totally mean to be nit-picky, but, Mega -
what's a Siren's Flure?

Fixed, thanks!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I won't be impressed until OFS beats Ozma with a solo level 1 Eiko using only physical attacks :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I won't be impressed until OFS beats Ozma with a solo level 1 Eiko using only physical attacks :colbert:

Nah, Eiko can actually do something resembling respectable physical damage if you gear her right. Make it Vivi. :colbert:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nah, Eiko can actually do something resembling respectable physical damage if you gear her right. Make it Vivi. :colbert:

Even that's doable. Howsabout this: Zidane only, using just Lucky Seven

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
ther's insanity and then there's praying for an impossibly good run of attacks

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Mega64 posted:

The Tower is Zidane's second-strongest weapon

Fun fact, since this is essentially Zidane's strongest weapon that isn't a reference to the whole series. The Tower is the tarot card that: 1) Comes directly after The Devil. 2) Is associated with sudden, disruptive, and potentially destructive change.

Mega64 posted:

This is also weirdly enough the first time we can here the Prelude
Used the wrong homophone.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

use a Ghysal Green to cure it.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Man, Memoria is such a beautiful and haunting final dungeon. FFVIII and IX prolly have the best final dungeons of the series; so vivid and interesting to go through. VII's wasn't as strong, but it did have some stellar backgrounds.

And of course X follows it up triumphantly with...foggy geometric halls and reused music. :shepface:

They need to get back to boss rushes in the final dungeons again.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 18, 2016

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Zeikier posted:

That's why FFV is still the best. :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zagglezig posted:

Used the wrong homophone.

Fixed, thanks!

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Zeikier posted:

Man, Memoria is such a beautiful and haunting final dungeon. FFVIII and IX prolly have the best final dungeons of the series; so vivid and interesting to go through. VII's wasn't as strong, but it did have some stellar backgrounds.

And of course X follows it up triumphantly with...foggy geotetric halls and reused music. :shepface:

Reading The Dark Id's let's play of FFX has revealed to me that the postgame content is best left untouched due to tedium and lovely boring minigames, and that the actual endgame dungeon is probably fun if you don't grind garbage for the bullshit OP weapons. But also that the final dungeon looked like a boring mess compared to the previous games.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Its just admittedly neat Zanarkand ruins wedged in between a ghostly pathway, and the most awful minigame to ever be put in existence before a final boss

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We've made it. Now all we need to do to save Gaia is defeat Kuja.

I'm surprised you beat the 4 Chaoses that I created from the crystal's memory. But...you're too late.

It's the original crystal... This is where it all began... The birthplace of all things...

Gaia, Terra, the universe, everything...

The only thing that's gonna be gone is you! I'll take you out right now!
Hmph. You honestly think you can beat me? Even if you do, Gaia's already doomed. Its assimilation by Terra has begun, and the Iifa Tree will incite a cataclysmic destruction of Gaia. It's all over for you and your friends. See. I win, either way.
It doesn't matter! Even if Gaia is assimilated, the planet will remain, and we'll start over to make a new home.

Why should the world exist without me? That wouldn't be fair.

This is Deathguise. You might know it better as FF6's Death Gaze, i.e. the monster you could fight while piloting your airship. It has a lot of the same moves, like L5 Death and regular Death, as well as Twister and some physical attacks.

Oh, and a little spell called Meteor. Fun fact, Deathguise loves to start the battle with this.

Dumbfuck is vulnerable to Sleep, so if it's gonna cheese me with Meteor I'm gonna cheese it by making sure it never wakes up.

It's vulnerable to Ice and Wind, so the order of the day is Blizzaga, Holy, No Mercy, and spamming Soul Blade. I don't even bother with its steals (Elixir, Black Belt, Duel Claws).

And with that, Deathguise goes down easily.

After this, we can turn around and save and do any other things we want to do. Once we go to Kuja, we initiate the final boss section of the game, so this is our last chance!

Let's do this.

:siren: :siren:

Well... my time is almost up.

Meet Trance Kuja. If you're not listening to the music, you loving should.

Interestingly enough, despite this being the point of no return, Kuja has steals. Ether, White Robe, and Rebirth Ring.

Trance Kuja is very similar to the form of Kuja we faced at the end of Disc 3. Still a pure spellcaster that loves to cast stuff like Holy and Flare.

I have three Pumice Pieces on for Doomsday shenanigans, but they also absorb Holy.

Power moves, as usual.

This time, we do get to see Flare Star.

This version does 35*Level damage.

Vivi is really handy for topping everyone off, letting Eiko focus on spamming Holy.

For laughs I even use a summon to try to benefit from Auto-Regen, though I don't have Boost on so it was kind of a waste.

Finally, Kuja can cast Curaga and Reflect on himself. I think I have Reflect-Null on Eiko, who's the only person who'd even care.

Needless to say, Kuja still only has the same 55k HP that most end-game bosses have, so he doesn't last very long against my offensive onslaught.

But I'm not gonna die alone.

Yep, it's time for Ultima again.

And just as before, it destroys us.

Though it also hurls Kuja away from us to parts unknown. At least we beat him, right?

-----

:siren: :siren:

...Where is this?

Wh-Who are you!?

Life fears death, but lives only to die.

Anxiety becomes fear.

Oh geez, literally quoting The Phantom Menace of all things. I know Final Fantasy loves borrowing from Star Wars, but still.

Kuja was a victim of his own fear. He concluded he could only save himself by destroying the origin of all things - the crystal.

Why are you telling me all this?

Kuja's action proves it. All things live to perish. At last, life has uncovered this truth. Now, it is time to end this world.
Wh-What do you mean by that!?
I exist for one purpose...

In a world of nothing, fear does not exist. This is the world that all life desires.

People have a lot of questions about this guy since he shows up out of nowhere after you defeat Kuja and, spoilers, you fight some random nobody. The explanation is...well, what he just said. This being witnessed Kuja's actions and decided since Kuja seeks to bring death to everything, that everything should want death, thus it plans to destroy the crystal and bring about nonexistance. A Void, if you will. In a way, this creature shares a lot in common with FF5's big villain Exdeath (though also with FF3's Cloud of Darkness since it appears out of nowhere).

You're not ending anything! Never, not as long as we have the will to live!

Your fears have already deluded you. One day, you will choose destruction over existence, as Kuja did. When he sought to destroy the crystal, the purpose of life ended.

We'll destroy you and prove you wrong! And through our memories, future generations will see that we can overcome any fear!

...We have to fight together.

So, even if we are born to die, I'm not afraid.

We get one opportunity to choose our party. There may be better choices for this one, but I'm going with this set-up because I'm lazy.

Each character that isn't chosen spouts a line and gives their power to a character that is in the fight. It's kinda like FF4 that way.

And we have one final opportunity to change our equipment. It's a good idea. I stick with Auto-Haste, Auto-Regen, and put the rest of my stones in status immunities, mainly ones that can be instant death like Body Temp, Jelly, and Locomotion.

Let's begin!

This is Necron, the final boss of Final Fantasy IX. This is around where the music starts kicking into gear.

He's nice enough to raise our characters to his level.

So, you know how I've been steamrolling everything and defeated even the superboss with relative ease? Don't be fooled, despite all that Necron is very dangerous and should not be underestimated.

First off, like all the other bosses, he only has around 54k HP. Not too scary, right? All his steals are Elixirs, plus he has weaknesses to Wind and Holy (and is vulnerable to Bird Killer). His only status vulnerability is Slow.

Blue Shockwave sends a character to 1HP. Kinda scary, but nothing we haven't seen before.

He also has all the elemental -aga spells, as well as Flare and Holy. Again, to be expected. He also has Meteor, though I'm fortunate enough not to see it.

And for probably the only time in the game, Trance triggers at a time when it's useful for it to! Granted I'm spending like 4 times the MP to do 500 more damage over Thievery, but hey, it's the final battle, I'll give Trance a pass.

Also the only time in the game I use an Elixir.

Necron can also use Curaga, Protect, and Shell on himself.

And Neutron Ring, which does some nasty damage.

That said, none of that is worth freaking out about. So what is it that makes Necron so drat scary?

This.

Grand Cross loving sucks, even worse than it does in the final battle of FF5. This move will inflict a huge variety of status effects on your party. Zidane gets Silence and Darkness, Vivi Darkness, Amarant Trouble, and Eiko gets flat-out KO'd. It can inflict every status effect in the book, even stuff like Zombie. And unlike FF5's version that only inflicts one status effect per character, Grand Cross can inflict multiple per character, so even with great preperation you can get screwed.

Quina is invaluable here of course because Angel's Snack uses Remedies on everyone. I didn't go with Quina because I was almost out of Remedies and honestly Quina has terrible offense outside of Limit Glove and Frog Drop if you're insane. Amarant has utility and power.

The power of Trance!

Anyway, it's still the same procedure as usual. It's just I'm actually scrambling to heal because Necron has so many nasty tricks up his sleeve.

But, in the end, I pull off the victory.

Some mysterious force that isn't Necron teleports our party away...

FADE TO SILENCE

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 19, 2016

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
See what I mean when I said Hades was supposed to be the final boss at first? Necron is one of those 'death is an end to bad things' and 'my purpose is to cause death'. Something that would fit the god of the dead, no?

And it looks like Square decided to reuse that idea, given that this is Seymour's idea in FFX.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Necron took me several tries to beat back when I played FFIX. It wasn't until attempt number 6 or so that I realized he got to act after every single action you took, and I couldn't screw around with weak hits just because I was currently topped off.

Given that I hadn't seen or messed around with Ozma, I think this was the only time in the game I saw that happen. It really pissed me off that the battle mechanics suddenly took a left turn with no warning right at the last boss.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

grandalt posted:

See what I mean when I said Hades was supposed to be the final boss at first? Necron is one of those 'death is an end to bad things' and 'my purpose is to cause death'. Something that would fit the god of the dead, no?

And it looks like Square decided to reuse that idea, given that this is Seymour's idea in FFX.

Things is that Hades was actually one of the few gods who didn't go out of his way to screw with humans. If they entered his domain then they were his but otherwise they could just frolic in the spring fields until their time came and he claimed them.

And for the record the Japanese name for Necron is something fancy like The Eternal Darkness or The Darkness of Eternity, which hints at him being more of a sapient force than anything else.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm pretty sure I beat Necron on my first try, but I don't remember exactly how I did it. I got confused when some of my characters got hit with Zombie and KOed and I couldn't figure out how to revive them, so I continued the fight with just Zidane and Quina, I think. I expect I was grossly overpowered.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Pureauthor posted:

Things is that Hades was actually one of the few gods who didn't go out of his way to screw with humans. If they entered his domain then they were his but otherwise they could just frolic in the spring fields until their time came and he claimed them.\

Hades was quite chill as long as you didn't mess with his wife or his dog.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Necron's not some guy appearing out of nowhere trying to destroy the crystal. Notice how it's behind Kuja during that fight. When Kuja uses Ultima, it notably does not deal any damage; it just kills everyone and destroys the Crystal. You're fighting Necron because you're already dead and he's the guy that sorts the souls.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Mega64 posted:

Hmph. You honestly thing you can beat me?

Kuja's regular theme was already excellent, but Dark Messenger is just so god drat good.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

OK, this is very weird. I had a hard time with this game because somehow, Ozma wasn't an optional super boss for me. I ran into him in Memoria. I never finished CH&C, so I didn't encounter him in the Air Garden, and so I was very surprised to see him there in this LP. The only way I was able to pogress was to save my money, buy a DexDrive, and download a saved game at the final save.

Dragonatrix posted:

Necron's not some guy appearing out of nowhere trying to destroy the crystal. Notice how it's behind Kuja during that fight. When Kuja uses Ultima, it notably does not deal any damage; it just kills everyone and destroys the Crystal. You're fighting Necron because you're already dead and he's the guy that sorts the souls.

So then this is a callback to the "Squall's Dead" theory of FF8?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Dark Messenger and the final boss track are both very good.

I like that they both loop the introduction bits until the actual fights start and your commands pop up. At least I think they both do, it's been a while.

e: looked it up, final battle does but I'm not sure about DM

e2: also that Amano art of Necron is great but it's only now I noticed the characters on there too and that Vivi :3:

McDragon fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 19, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
For those wondering, the priority for who gets the line when you face against Necron is the same as the Desert Palace. So it goes Zidane > Eiko > Vivi > Steiner > Freya.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone who didn't listen to "The Final Battle" that plays while Necron monologues at the party, the thing has some agonizing wails and cries like from the dead and damned.

Pretty intense poo poo that I remember even though I haven't finished FFIX in several years.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It took some time for us to get here, and even now it's not the most obvious thing in the world due to perspective, but...

...we've finally encountered The Thing In The Background Of The Final Fantasy Logo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

FeyerbrandX posted:

Anyone who didn't listen to "The Final Battle" that plays while Necron monologues at the party, the thing has some agonizing wails and cries like from the dead and damned.

The first time I fought Necron I was honestly a little disappointed when it shifted from the wailing to the 'main' final boss music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

kalonZombie posted:

Hades was quite chill as long as you didn't mess with his wife or his dog.

Orpheus did both with the power of music, and Hades was still chill enough to let him try to bring his dead fiance back from the dead.

Shame that Orpheus didn't quite pick up on the fact that Hades was a chill guy and NOT trying to actively screw Orpheus over. But, when your dad is Apollo (second only to Zeus when it comes to literal dicking over things), I suppose the paranoia could be considered a little healthy.

• Locked thread