Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
GWM, living in a system with no people, lots of land, few services, and other revenue streams aside from personal or property taxes.

Pretty bad with life, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Here in Florida a huge portion of our tax money comes from vacation taxes on hotels and attractions so we get a free lunch in the form of making other people pay for it :v:

I mean you have to live in Florida to take advantage of it, but still

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Bunch of military people will claim Texas as their state of residency for tax purposes, because there's no state income tax.

If you're military and get stationed early in your career in Texas, you can keep registering your vehicles and getting your driver's license renewed there. Then no matter where orders take you, you get to pay Texas state income taxes ($0).

Don't worry about actually living in Texas too. Military towns sorta suck almost everywhere, but there are many places that are much worse you could get stationed.

http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2015/02/27/residence-vs-home-record/

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ate all the Oreos posted:

Here in Florida a huge portion of our tax money comes from vacation taxes on hotels and attractions so we get a free lunch in the form of making other people pay for it :v:

I mean you have to live in Florida to take advantage of it, but still

But then your state is dependent on tourist dollars so everything goes into the shitter every recession.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Bunch of military people will claim Texas as their state of residency for tax purposes, because there's no state income tax.

If you're military and get stationed early in your career in Texas, you can keep registering your vehicles and getting your driver's license renewed there. Then no matter where orders take you, you get to pay Texas state income taxes ($0).

Don't worry about actually living in Texas too. Military towns sorta suck almost everywhere, but there are many places that are much worse you could get stationed.

http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2015/02/27/residence-vs-home-record/

They do this with Florida too for the same reason.

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1536600

quote:

Looking for some real life opinions. Right now we have just 1 lawyer opinion.

We have over $80,000 in credit card debt, as a result of trying to flip a house and failed miserably. Used the credit cards to finish the house. When we sold it we made less than $20,000 which we used to repay loans first.

Husband is only taking part time goes at work so that we can file BK if that's what's needed. We tried credit counseling and that failed because they couldn't get any credit cards reduced. Tried negotiating balances they wouldn't go for it because we were not late. So husband cut his hours and we barely get by for house, cars, and utilities.

Dilemma, he is able to find more hours but that would mean we don't qualify for chapter 7, and our chapter 13 disposable income would be high, and could go higher if he gets OT.

We stopped paying CC's about 3-4 months ago, so now they know we are serious about either settling or BK.

It's decision time.

Do we file BK and not take the extra work hours offered?
Or
Do we take the extra work hours offered and try to settle with CC's/collection agencies?

Credit score already effected down to 480 from 700 (over last 3-4 months)

No equity in home and we have loans no equity in vehicles.

Must have really bought a dog of a house, or gone way above and beyond good taste with the furnishings. Wow.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
GWM is renting in Texas, my annual rent is about half of the tax on a house (my apt is much much smaller than a house.)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

SweetSassyMolassy posted:

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1536600

Must have really bought a dog of a house, or gone way above and beyond good taste with the furnishings. Wow.

They probably bought an overvalued house and then contracted most of the work.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sounds like they made some bad decisions, got overextended, then hit some poo poo luck with the injury that put one of them out of work.

I read it as "husband is only working part time, thus they will qualify for BK due to income restrictions", but someone read it as "he's working part time in order to qualify due to income restrictions" and the poo poo hit the fan after that.

Flipping is still stupid but jeez.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

NancyPants posted:

Sounds like they made some bad decisions, got overextended, then hit some poo poo luck with the injury that put one of them out of work.

I read it as "husband is only working part time, thus they will qualify for BK due to income restrictions", but someone read it as "he's working part time in order to qualify due to income restrictions" and the poo poo hit the fan after that.

Flipping is still stupid but jeez.

The latter is how I read it. Husband could get more hours, but doing so puts them into a different bucket for bankruptcy.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just got a job offer that pays well and is in a location with a low COL, but it is almost expected that you own a horse/are in to horse racing.

GWM? BWM?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Everyone everywhere is BWM, it just depends on how you're going to spend it. Like RVs to tailgate college football games. That seems pretty BWM.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Just fake it. Say you have a horse and then just complain constantly about how much the boarding/feeding costs you while actually putting that money into retirement/savings. Keep a browser tab open to a saddle shop or horse monthly or something.

If anyone asks to actually see your horse or asks you to come riding, tell them that it died unexpectedly from a twisted gut and act surly for a week before talking about buying another one.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Sounds like a side-business opportunity to sell horse counseling/massage/whatever your specialty is. I wouldn't mind living in the middle of a niche market.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ashcans posted:

If anyone asks to actually see your horse or asks you to come riding, tell them that it died unexpectedly from a twisted gut imagining there was a fly and having a heart attack and act surly for a week before talking about buying another one.

This is still my favorite cause of horse death.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
poor freckles, thought of ants and died

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ashcans posted:

Just fake it. Say you have a horse and then just complain constantly about how much the boarding/feeding costs you while actually putting that money into retirement/savings. Keep a browser tab open to a saddle shop or horse monthly or something.

If anyone asks to actually see your horse or asks you to come riding, tell them that it died unexpectedly from a twisted gut and act surly for a week before talking about buying another one.

Just remember to occasionally come to work with poo poo all over your trousers and boots and stamp it into office carpets.

Also, only wash your hair once a month.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Residency Evil posted:

Just got a job offer that pays well and is in a location with a low COL, but it is almost expected that you own a horse/are in to horse racing.

GWM? BWM?

Perhaps you can invest in a horse timeshare.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh yeah I totally have a horse. You want to meet her? Oh sorry you can't, she lives in Canada.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Alternate dad joke: Yeah I totally have a horse but my wife hates it when i call her that :haw:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moneyball posted:

Sounds like a side-business opportunity to sell horse counseling/massage/whatever your specialty is. I wouldn't mind living in the middle of a niche market.

Please, the term is whispering.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

*chht!*

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Oh yeah I totally have a horse. You want to meet her? Oh sorry you can't, she lives in Canada.

My horse goes to another school, you wouldn't know her.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Residency Evil posted:

GWM? BWM?

Talk about betting on whores and see how long it takes anybody to notice.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

In French, the title of that movie literally translates to

"One who speaks softly into the ears of horses"

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

silvergoose posted:

In French, the title of that movie literally translates to

"One who speaks softly into the ears of horses"

I've been searching for a LinkedIn headline for a while now, so thanks for this.

The r/pf well seems to be dry today, so I went over to legal advice. Likely a troll, but it's a slow day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5dmu73/ak_i_got_a_stripper_pregnant_but_i_dont_even/

AK - I got a stripper pregnant but I don't even remember doing it (serious, I swear) posted:

I loving swear I don't remember. I was there at the strip club but I was drunk. She said I was the father and I took the test to prove her wrong but I am the father. I was drunk and I don't remember anything. My wife is military and we only live here because of her. She kicked me out and filed for divorce on the grounds of alcoholism and adultery. She somehow found out about me and the stripper and she decided on divorce after the stripper told me she wanted the test and I took it. I have some questions, I want to know if I can get child support lessened or waived because of the circumstances of me not remembering or being drunk? And how will all this work in the divorce because I'm the dependant spouse? We have been married for 2 years and together for 2 before that. We don't have kids but we were trying for one. I can't even afford a lawyer and the stripper keeps asking me for money.

quote:

No. Bring drunk doesn't change that a kid costs money. You cannot pay less because you are stupid
Go get a job.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hey I found it on imdb

"L'homme qui murmurait à l'oreille des chevaux"

Moneyball posted:

I've been searching for a LinkedIn headline for a while now, so thanks for this.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

He should get a few free bangs out of this, right? It's not like she can get more pregnant.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NancyPants posted:

He should get a few free bangs out of this, right? It's not like she can get more pregnant.

Sadly further down the page the kid is a month or two old.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Residency Evil posted:

GWM? BWM?

Oh yeah, me and my partner are looking in to buying some land, but it's just so hard to pick the right place, you know? We'll look again when the market changes.

When guests come over throw some Mane & Tail shampoo by the tub. Rub liniment on your chapped hands. Read in the local free newspaper about what horses did what locally, then complain about it.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

One of my colleagues left this page open: http://www.accepta.com/about-us/chemical-distributors-wanted

quote:

Chemical Distributors Wanted

Become an Exclusive Distributor

Accepta is actively seeking ambitious distributors with well established, respected businesses in the water, wastewater and environmental treatment sectors; and speciality chemical distribution markets within the following and other territories.

Is this a legitimate business plan or is it an MLM for industrial chemical supply? He "invests" in a life insurance savings plan so he's not extremely financially savvy.

Another colleague has some sort of water business back in his village in Philippines, I wonder if it is this:

quote:

Waters Philippines: FAQ's about our business opportunity

Q: Is this a full-time job?

A: No. As an independent distributor, you are your own boss (Please read: You are not an employee). You decide on what you want to achieve and how much time and how much effort you will pour into the business. You are free to choose to go part time or full time or work during weekends or evenings only.
The product "brings life back into your water." This rabbit hole goes deep, apparently all you need is an Enagic water ioniser and all your problems go away:
-Removes accumulated acid waste and toxins
-Hydrates 6x more effectively than conventional water
-Reverses degenerative diseases
-Easy utilization of water by the body due to the micro - clustering properties
-Lose weight, cure acid reflux, burn fat

All this can be yours for the low low price of $4,000!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Here's a good one:
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5dk0op/how_can_i_get_a_2500_total_in_charges_reversed/

quote:

How can I get a $2500 total in charges reversed from a crazy night at a strip club?
To make a long story short I went to a strip club last night and drank a lot. Pertinent financial details are at the bottom for how to fix this. I was in a private room with 2 girls which is costly. We spent some time back there and now I have a $2500 dollar bill on my debit. I understand alcohol and those types of situations are a recipe for disaster but $2500 is a big excessive. So the details.
I was using a debit card. So unfortunately I can't just not pay.
You can't put the dances I was getting on a card. and I never actually took the money out of the ATM myself. The girl that runs the back room of the club took my card, asked for my pin and never gave the cash but presumably just took the money for the services and gave the okay. There are 6 pending transactions ranging from $100-900 presumably ATM withdrawals. Eventually my card stopped allowing more withdrawals.
So this morning I got an automated text asking about an $800 withdrawal and if it was fraud and I replied that it was. I called capital one and told them it was fraud. They shut down the card. But the transactions are still pending.
Capital One said the transactions my just disappear and not go though but if they do go through I need to dispute them.
My question is what should I do if the transactions all go through and I'm on hook for all this money? Do I call the club and say they shouldn't have taken money out of my account and want a refund. Do I dispute with capital one and tell them that my card was being taken money out without my consent.
I'm waiting to see if the transactions post and then decide what to do. I don't want to call the club just yet and say the wrong thing.
Any advice besides "don't go to strip clubs with a debit card".

Who knew giving an employee my debit card and PIN inside a strip club would be an expensive mistake?

edit:
That guy is a real peach. He asked in a Montreal subreddit where the best strip club to get "services" was, and asked r/AskMen "As a 24 year old is it wrong for me to pursue a 17 year old even though it is legal?"

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 19, 2016

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Oh lord I just found this insane poo poo, do we have a thread on SA to discuss (ridicule) this sort of thing? It's not directly money related, although I think most people contributing to the self-help industry are pretty BWM.

quote:

Energy Circle (EC) means a circle created to accumulate energy to send to a particular person, place, thing or event by your own intentions. You can use switch words, switch phrases, batch flower remedies, positive affirmations, mantras, prayers, gratitude, numbers, symbols and much more.

Some Do's and Don'ts While Using Energy Circle (EC)

1.)Energy Circle (EC) should be pasted on a solid wall, or any other fixed place (see image 1). But if the energy circle is charged or activated through VIBBES KADA then pasting of an Energy circle on a solid wall or any other fixed place is not compulsory. It can be fixed or have a movement. You can carry your EC anywhere you want.
2.)Energy Circle (EC) at moving locations like one in a drawer or on a moving wall of almirah, or any other moving object or place doesn't hold the energy, hence the Energy Circle (EC) pasted at such locations become ineffective (see image 2, 3, and 4). But if same Energy Circle is charged or activated through VIBBES KADA then the energy will still flow for your intention.
3.)Energy Circle (EC) should not be placed in any book, copy or any closed box where it’s radiated energy gets stuck (see image 2, 3, and 4.)But if the same Energy Circle is charged or activated through VIBBES KADA then there is no boundation. Energy will still flow.
Energy Circle (EC) should be either front facing or upward facing to let energy flow towards the universe to have positive manifestation done (see image 1 and 5). And there should be ample space of minimum 12 to 18 inches in front of Energy Circle (EC) for energy to spread and reach to goal. Only then it goes to the Desired AIM. (This is discovered by Sharat Sir as HE can see the energy field.)

(there are so many more)

Oh this site DOES have a wealth of terrible money advice!

Shreem Brzee Vision Board to Attract Luxury Cars

10 Amazing ways to attract wealth into your life

Get back your stuck money with ease has great advice like "have you asked for it back?"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moneyball posted:

You cannot pay less because you are stupid

Bad With Money - You cannot pay less because you are stupid

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Here's a good one:
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5dk0op/how_can_i_get_a_2500_total_in_charges_reversed/

Who knew giving an employee my debit card and PIN inside a strip club would be an expensive mistake?

edit:
That guy is a real peach. He asked in a Montreal subreddit where the best strip club to get "services" was, and asked r/AskMen "As a 24 year old is it wrong for me to pursue a 17 year old even though it is legal?"

The most hilarious thing to me here is that what he describes is theft of services and he'd have had the cops called on him had his card declined at the club.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
BWM owning a pony in East Village, Manhattan

https://twitter.com/edenbrower/status/799707524979183616

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Miniature horses (which is what that looks like) are valid service animals under the ADA.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Miniature horses (which is what that looks like) are valid service animals under the ADA.

But a really awful choice for a city dweller compared to less expensive and easier to accommodate service dogs. Service horses live like 30 years and make great guide animals but have the same basic necessities as regular horses.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
A bad plan from /r/pf

quote:

Hello,
I'll try to keep it short. I went to a college preparatory boarding school on a scholarship, dropped out after the 11th grade, got a GED, and for the last 3 years have done almost nothing, very few jobs and dropping out of college a few times after only days of attending each time. I went through a lot of family issues starting in middle school and it consumed my life.

My grandmother is sort of offering to pay for a university education wherever I go. I feel like it's a waste of time and money. I wouldn't be accepted into anywhere decent. I live in a lovely state and our only real universities are either extremely competitive or extremely expensive. The others are no-name shitholes.

I keep having this idea of learning bookkeeping/accounting and getting a job as a bookkeeper so I can actually have an income. I have this idea of reading lots of books on money, finance textbooks, successful business men/investors, and going into finance with no formal education.

I feel like college is a waste of time. I don't want to be poor. I want to be wealthy through something really big, and I've never seen someones college degree be the reason for their wild success. I don't want to pay too much to read books I don't want to read, eat food I don't want to eat, and share a room I don't want to live in with someone I don't like. I just don't see the pay off.

I have about $1,000 in cash and I could buy loads of reading material(I don't like reading on computer screens) and begin to become knowledgeable on finance/accounting/business/money/success. Maybe if I had a scholarship, I'd go to university as some backup, but I currently don't see the appeal at all.

I want to be in charge of my life. I don't want someone paying for my university education, and I don't want to go just because other people want me to for no reason. I want to be a big boy and read what I think will help me and do what I think will benefit me. I don't like the idea of university but I don't know if I'm all wrong here. I've read all of the wikis over and over again.

I'm blabbing on and probably didn't get my point across, but what do you think?

this is my current book list in no specific order if I was to go through with this
  • The Accounting Game or Accounting Made Simple
  • Principles of Corporate Finance
  • Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits
  • Margin of Safety
  • The Snowball
  • Business Adventures
  • The Richest Man In Babylon
  • Market Wizards
  • The New Market Wizards
  • The Money Masters
  • The New Money Masters
  • No Bull
  • Den of Thieves
  • Confessions of a Street Addict
  • Confidence Game
  • Fooling Some of the People All of the Time
  • The Smartest Guys in the Room
  • The Millionaire Mind
  • The Millionaire Next Door (already read some of this)
  • Trading To Win
  • Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
  • Barbarians at the Gate
Same poster, in response to somebody advising him to invest in index funds:

quote:

I'd rather bank on USD holding its value than equities. I don't see how there being a pot of money that anyone can stick their hand in and come out with 7% per year is believable or going to last at all. I just don't trust the idea. I'd rather just hold it in cash and make more money through my career. The cost of keeping your money in something like that doesn't seem worthwhile to me anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

I don't want to work for an employer so the idea of going to college for that doesn't make sense.

Sounds like dude has a big problem with other people telling him what to do. I'm sure that'll work out swimmingly for his "become a bookkeeper->read a bunch of I Became Really Rich And You Can Too! books->??????->profit" plan.

• Locked thread