Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Becky don't even know how to spell fleek

Bye Felicia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

https://www.facebook.com/FordCars/videos/10154917679463287

Ford is finally advertising to the illusive otaku market

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Ok, I'll make an acception for you, but just this one time.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

50 bucks says she is a 55 year old obese woman who has alienated most of her family due to her terrible habits and Facebook addiction.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Salty Josh posted:

50 bucks says she is a 55 year old obese woman who has alienated most of her family due to her terrible habits and Facebook addiction.

I played in a "dive bar" band from '96-'02. This woman would be slow dancing with the skinniest 25-year-old guy in the bar by 2:30am.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Perhaps even a stormfront?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm irrationally angered by the serif font

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I deactivated my fb account three days ago. Feels good man.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

actionjackson posted:

Ahhhh.. you just missed the start of "I SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!" season.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

actionjackson posted:

how will your wife keep up with her friends :confused:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh yeah the...wife

In all seriousness, it's mainly about how FB denies it's a media company and takes no responsibility for the effect of fake news. Also I have a liberal filter bubble on there, and I really don't want to read a bunch of posts about Trump for the next four years. I already see enough about him in the news.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Bonzo posted:

Ahhhh.. you just missed the start of "I SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!" season.

HAPPY FESTIVUS LOLOLOL

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

actionjackson posted:

oh yeah the...wife

In all seriousness, it's mainly about how FB denies it's a media company and takes no responsibility for the effect of fake news. Also I have a liberal filter bubble on there, and I really don't want to read a bunch of posts about Trump for the next four years. I already see enough about him in the news.

no srsly i would delete mine too, haven't touched it in years, but the wife uses it all the time to read people's timelines. she won't make one for herself which i understand because she would have to go through the friending process with everyone... too much useless effort.

gently caress i hate facebook

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

actionjackson posted:

oh yeah the...wife

facebook is poo poo but theyre actually right in this case. can't take responsibility for the stupidity of your users

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Blue Train posted:

facebook is poo poo but theyre actually right in this case. can't take responsibility for the stupidity of your users

Not without alienating about half of them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Blue Train posted:

I mean, what is it 60% of people say FB is their primary news source? Whether they like it or not, they are for all intents and purposes a news organization, and need to be held to the same standards. At the very least, there needs to be much less of the filter bubble effect. If you're allowed to see something clearly made up, like the pope endorsing Trump, you should have a chance to see something disproving that.

Here's something I saw yesterday about FB influencing elections in other countries, including Duterte using it to spread lies in his presidential campaign.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/18/technology/fake-news-on-facebook-in-foreign-elections-thats-not-new.html

quote:

Facebook’s power is often stronger overseas than it is in the United States. In many developing countries with populations new to both democracy and social media, experts said, fake stories can be more widely believed. And in some of these countries, Facebook even offers free smartphone data connections to basic public online services, some news sites and Facebook itself — but limits access to broader sources that could help debunk fake news.

One such place is the Philippines, where a spokesman for its populist president, Rodrigo Duterte, shared on Facebook an image of a corpse of a young girl believed to have been raped and killed by a drug dealer. Fact checkers later revealed that the photo had come from Brazil. Despite the debunking, proponents of Mr. Duterte’s bloody crackdown on reported drug dealers and addicts still cite the image in his defense, according to political analysts.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 19, 2016

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My primary news source is In-N-Out Burgers' website and I am appalled at their lack of journalistic integrity

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I deactivated a few weeks ago, wake up the next morning and it was back to normal?!?

I did read theres some option to tick for reactivation time but damned if I could see it

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Facebook just never goes away every time I've closed mine it's always still waiting for me to sign back in

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

BoonyPC posted:

I deactivated a few weeks ago, wake up the next morning and it was back to normal?!?

I did read theres some option to tick for reactivation time but damned if I could see it

Did you sign in with your email and password? That used to automatically reactivate your account.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

criscodisco posted:

Facebook just never goes away every time I've closed mine it's always still waiting for me to sign back in

you told me you didn't have a Facebook

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Ranma Fan Art posted:

o snap u've been called out

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ranma Fan Art posted:

maybe he didn't want to friend you :/

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Anderron Shi posted:

Did you sign in with your email and password? That used to automatically reactivate your account.

yea maybe it signed in on my phone or something, or maybe using spotify? I dunno

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Snatch Duster posted:

maybe he didn't want to friend you :/

noo

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Lol no I mean I haven't reactivated it but I keep seeing I just have to log into it to reactivate it but I never have.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Dang!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

KomodoWagon posted:

My primary burger source is In-N-Out Burgers and I am appalled at their lack of burgeristic integrity

:smug:

We can have this fight here like on Facebook, right?

Also: https://mobile.twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/799298878545637376/photo/1
Because it's way too serious itt

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
Why deactivate it? Why not just... not use it?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

JustinMorgan posted:

how else will people know you're too cool for facebook

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

JustinMorgan posted:

So people won't tag me in comments and posts and then get annoyed when I don't respond

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Jenni Metzger

man you gotta get better at hiding ur friends names yo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Junk posted:

Jenni Metzger

man you gotta get better at hiding ur friends names yo

go on and beat it up yo

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Blue Train posted:

If only they charged :10bux: and hired some mods.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well they could not flat out lie like Mark and say the proliferation of fake news is "rare" on the site

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
G-ma rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I posted this in the IOSM thread as well but lmao, just lmao