Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I picked up a TWSBI ECO in white with a F nib the other day and I am really digging it so far. It writes smoothly and the sweet spot on the nib is easy to rotate to as a lefty. My previous daily carry was a M nibbed Safari but as a lefty I had trouble with my weird hook grip and keeping the pen rotated correctly. I am probably going to need to find something to keep this in to keep it from getting scratched up though. It certainly doesn't look as durable as the matte ABS of the Safari I have.

I have also been messing around with the Noodler's Ahab I've had for the last four months or so. I've realized that my writing is too poo poo to actually use a flex nib for anything useful and I've considered throwing a normal nib on this pen and using it that way. I hear the Goulet nibs aren't terrible. Is there something else anyone would suggest other than them?

The Ahabs take #6 nibs. You could try out a small stub from the Nemosine Singularity line, something from Fountain Pen Revolution, or get one of the Goulet nibs. I suppose you could also get a Franklin Christoph or Edison nib unit and knock the nib/feed out.

I like to have the full range of sizes for a pen if I can, and am working on that for my #6 pens. I'd order a small stub from the Singularity line, some of the Goulet sizes, and perhaps from FPR of any of those look interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A ordered a Jinhao 211 in Extra Fine that arrived today and I must have won the pen lottery. Writes like a dream, with absolutely no issues. I was expecting to have to break out my sanding pads.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Wow, that is a cool looking pen. How heavy is it? I had gotten some cheapo pens a few years ago that turned me off to the super cheap pens but I have gotten a couple of Jinhaos recently that really changed my mind - great feeling pens that write really well.

I finally got a pen with a music nib- it is a Pilot Custom 74 that I got off Amazon. And a surprise to me since it was not listed as such, it is a soft nib with a similar flexiness to a Falcon. It writes great and is really wet, which I love. I guess that is what you get with a good music nib. I wish it was heftier though - it feel like the Falcon in terms of weight. It will definitely get a lot of use though. I'll put up some pictures when I get around to it in addition to a few other pens I have gotten since the last time I posted pictures. I have to find some consistently good music paper now...I wish Rhodia had music paper. Some of the manuscript books that students have I need to use fine nibs because they suck up the ink and feather like crazy in addition to bleeding through the paper to the next page.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

rio posted:

Wow, that is a cool looking pen. How heavy is it? I had gotten some cheapo pens a few years ago that turned me off to the super cheap pens but I have gotten a couple of Jinhaos recently that really changed my mind - great feeling pens that write really well.

23 g with cap, 13 g without, pretty much the same weight as a TWSBI Eco, and like a gram or 2 heavier than an Al Star. So, very comfortable, especially if you like a slim barrel, it's slimmer than my Kaweco Sport even.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

rio posted:

I finally got a pen with a music nib- it is a Pilot Custom 74 that I got off Amazon. And a surprise to me since it was not listed as such, it is a soft nib with a similar flexiness to a Falcon. It writes great and is really wet, which I love. I guess that is what you get with a good music nib. I wish it was heftier though - it feel like the Falcon in terms of weight. It will definitely get a lot of use though. I'll put up some pictures when I get around to it in addition to a few other pens I have gotten since the last time I posted pictures. I have to find some consistently good music paper now...I wish Rhodia had music paper. Some of the manuscript books that students have I need to use fine nibs because they suck up the ink and feather like crazy in addition to bleeding through the paper to the next page.

Historically music nibs were three-tined, flexible nibs with dual channel feeds. These days only Pilot and Noodler's make them that way, and just about everything else called a music nib is a broad, firm stub.

Also the Noodler's music nib (on the Neponset) apparently has truly horrendous QC, even for Noodler's stuff.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I knew about the three times but didn't know about dual channel and flexible - awesome!

If the quality control is that bad then it must light on fire after filling it with ink or something because their qc is awful.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I finally have a good collection of pens for daily use (I like to switch ink colors :3:)

Heavy use are my vanishing points. Metros and safaris are for rare color use.

I did gently caress up a pen though, I was hoping someone here might know what to do. I don't even know when this happened :saddowns: It writes really terribly now so I'm not using it at all until I get it fixed.

Do I need to replace the nib or is it fixable? I haven't had to do that yet so I have no idea what to do

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

grack posted:

Historically music nibs were three-tined, flexible nibs with dual channel feeds. These days only Pilot and Noodler's make them that way, and just about everything else called a music nib is a broad, firm stub.

Personally I wouldn't say the Pilot music nib is all that flexible, maybe a little? Also, back when I was researching modern music nibs I thought I read that the feed is a single channel -- I could pull the nib and feed on mine and check but I just inked it. Lovely nib though, and I do enjoy mine a lot, especially with sheening/shimmering inks. Pretty sure Platinum's music nib is a dual-slit, three tines with a dual channel feed, though it's apparently a very rigid nib.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Any recommendations for a red ink that plays well with cheap paper? I'm going to be grading some exams written in blue books. I'm more concerned about reducing bleed through than feathering. It doesn't have to be red, either, any strong color would be fun.

Oxblood would be great, for example, but I don't know how well it works with cheap paper! I'll be using either a twsbi diamond (fine) or eco (medium).

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Solumin posted:

Any recommendations for a red ink that plays well with cheap paper? I'm going to be grading some exams written in blue books. I'm more concerned about reducing bleed through than feathering. It doesn't have to be red, either, any strong color would be fun.

Oxblood would be great, for example, but I don't know how well it works with cheap paper! I'll be using either a twsbi diamond (fine) or eco (medium).

I've had good results with Black Swan in English Roses and Fuyu Gaki if you want something brighter.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I've been using Fuyu Gaki in an EF lamy safari for grading for a little bit now (on my second fill now). It's a little feathery on the cheapest of paper but still perfectly usable.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I have Diamine Oxblood and Classic Red and neither seem to hold up particularly well on cheap paper. Expect feather and bleed in my experience.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I kinda doubt you're going to find an ink that plays nicely with bluebooks, especially if your concern is bleedthrough/showthrough. It's not just that it's cheap and feathers like hell, it's also thin so it'll almost absolutely bleed through. Like, Parker's Blue/Black isn't particuarly dark or anything, but it still feathered and blobbed all over the drat place the one time I tried. I almost feel like Pilot's inks would behave nicely (this bottle of black, at the least is well-behaved), but while I can say that a (ancient) red v5 only feathers on especially poo poo paper, I'm not sure that's the same ink as their fountain inks. Honestly, I'd probably just give up and use a felt marker or something.

But on the other hand, if you're doing this, I presume you're at a university? I vaguely recall being able to just buy those for like 99¢ each in the university bookstore — so if you can scare one up you could test things out and see if anything's satisfactory.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thank you all for the suggestions!

Heath posted:

I've had good results with Black Swan in English Roses and Fuyu Gaki if you want something brighter.

Black Swan in English Roses is beautiful, I might get that one anyway. Fuyu Gaki is a little too bright/too orange for my taste.

Mr. Despair posted:

I've been using Fuyu Gaki in an EF lamy safari for grading for a little bit now (on my second fill now). It's a little feathery on the cheapest of paper but still perfectly usable.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Slimchandi posted:

I have Diamine Oxblood and Classic Red and neither seem to hold up particularly well on cheap paper. Expect feather and bleed in my experience.

Oxblood has been on my radar for a while. Such a beautiful, bold color! Too bad it sounds like it might not work for this.

Zenostein posted:

I kinda doubt you're going to find an ink that plays nicely with bluebooks, especially if your concern is bleedthrough/showthrough. It's not just that it's cheap and feathers like hell, it's also thin so it'll almost absolutely bleed through. Like, Parker's Blue/Black isn't particuarly dark or anything, but it still feathered and blobbed all over the drat place the one time I tried. I almost feel like Pilot's inks would behave nicely (this bottle of black, at the least is well-behaved), but while I can say that a (ancient) red v5 only feathers on especially poo poo paper, I'm not sure that's the same ink as their fountain inks. Honestly, I'd probably just give up and use a felt marker or something.

But on the other hand, if you're doing this, I presume you're at a university? I vaguely recall being able to just buy those for like 99¢ each in the university bookstore — so if you can scare one up you could test things out and see if anything's satisfactory.

Yes, I'm at university. I found one of my blue books from earlier in the semester, so I can use that to test. Actually, compared to my regular notebooks, it's slightly thicker paper and has no bleedthrough at all, and even the showthrough isn't bad. (This is with a TWSBI Diamond 580 (Fine) with Borealis Black.) So I might be able to get away with a less well-behaved ink than I originally thought!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Black Swan in English Roses is one of those inks that looks really misleading in photos. The Goulet swatches make it look like a kind of ruddy pink, but in person it's a deep dusky red. Absolutely my favorite color.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Solumin posted:

Yes, I'm at university. I found one of my blue books from earlier in the semester, so I can use that to test. Actually, compared to my regular notebooks, it's slightly thicker paper and has no bleedthrough at all, and even the showthrough isn't bad. (This is with a TWSBI Diamond 580 (Fine) with Borealis Black.) So I might be able to get away with a less well-behaved ink than I originally thought!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was using a Pelikan so there was quite a bit of ink in play, to say the least.

Heath posted:

Black Swan in English Roses is one of those inks that looks really misleading in photos. The Goulet swatches make it look like a kind of ruddy pink, but in person it's a deep dusky red. Absolutely my favorite color.

Really? Everything I've used it in has come out a fairly dark, dusty rose color. Maybe it just got changed in a more subtle way than the Australian one did in the past … 4 years, maybe? Pretty sure I got mine whenever it came out, and I feel like that was around 2012.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No, it looks very dark and dusty in person but the photos make it look pink. It looks nearly pink here.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Heath posted:

No, it looks very dark and dusty in person but the photos make it look pink. It looks nearly pink here.

The flower sketch? Because that just looks exactly the way you'd expect an inkwash to look. The outline of the flower/all the text is pretty much spot-on how mine looks.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

So I've been researching how to fix the gap between my nib and feed on my vanishing point, and it seems a little intense. Would it be super expensive to just get that part replaced or is it easier than googling makes it look?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

VP nib units are eighty bucks at Goulet.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

From the guy who bleaches fountain inks to see what happens:

Some Noodler's.

This section he has called "the blacks," because water results in a black sediment rising up to the top (more or less the "waterproof" part of these inks). It seems he's categorizing the inks based on how they behave, rather than by names. If I have it right, it's something like:

pre:
===================
     Ink swab
|\/\/\/BLEACH\/\/\/|
     Ink swab        
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
vvv water   vvv
v v v v v v v v v v
v  v  v  v  v  v  v
v   v   v   v  v  v
v    v     v      v
It's a pretty neat sampling system! And it's especially amusing to find that basically none of those inks (and I believe they're all at least semi-bulletproof, although I'm not too sure about the Polar series and the Browns) really react with the bleach (except to turn black).

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
That is a beautiful blog and I think it will trick me into buying more inks.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

howe_sam posted:

VP nib units are eighty bucks at Goulet.

Bless my local pen guy liking me, he sold me one for $60.

Heath posted:

Ah, I thought I was good on new inks for a while, but this is gorgeous

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Interviewed yesterday and my potential manager was using a Safari. :3:

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
For UK goons, Rymans have Pop Retro Metros for sale for £12. Green and blue only though 😞

http://www.ryman.co.uk/search/go?w=Mr3

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

More bleached Noodler's. Rome Burning turning purple in bleach isn't much of a surprise, but that Sequoia Green does too is pretty interesting.

"Inks tested: Violet, Purple Martin, Baystate Concord Grape, Purple Heart, Beaver, Operation Overlord Orange, Park Red, Rome Burning, Army Green, Burma Road Brown, Sequoia Green and Bernanke Black"

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Slimchandi posted:

For UK goons, Rymans have Pop Retro Metros for sale for £12. Green and blue only though 😞

http://www.ryman.co.uk/search/go?w=Mr3

Your link shows the purple, too :confuoot:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Smart thing I did today: Got a new Levenger pen in today and as I often do, I pulled the nib out so I could adjust it. I put the nib down on my desk and... well, it's loving gone. I can't find it anywhere and I've drat near torn my office apart. At this point I'm just going to blame fountain pen gnomes.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

Smart thing I did today: Got a new Levenger pen in today and as I often do, I pulled the nib out so I could adjust it. I put the nib down on my desk and... well, it's loving gone. I can't find it anywhere and I've drat near torn my office apart. At this point I'm just going to blame fountain pen gnomes.

Walk around barefoot for a bit. You'll find it quickly enough.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I just caught my cat running across the living room with a loving TWSBI nib replacement in his mouth. Total dickhead.

Obligatory plug for the Fountain Pen Secret Santa. Not going to cut off sign-ups til much closer to December, but might as well get in early, right?

e: ...tonight I learned what noodling is from a stand-up comedian on Netflix. :psyduck:

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 21, 2016

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I got my 50 anniversary edition Lamy Scalla today and holy poo poo. Between this and my Lamy 2000 I'm officially a Brand Fan.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

NeurosisHead posted:

I got my 50 anniversary edition Lamy Scalla today and holy poo poo. Between this and my Lamy 2000 I'm officially a Brand Fan.

Yep. I like my BlueBlack Scala, but the Glacier is even better. The matte finish looks and feels great, and the Scala overall is really to my taste, as far as modern pen designs go.

I'm thinking about getting myself an Imporium sometime soon. The black-and-gold one is stunning.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

What are some of the wettest writers you all have?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Any of my Noodler's if I feel like farting around with them, but especially my Neponset. My new Scala for sure. My medium Metro. My girlfriend's fine Shaeffer Sagaris. I would include either of our Visconti Rembrandt's, but they were just poorly aligned between nib and feed and vomited ink everywhere and took several hours of tuning to get perfect. That's not wet, that's just Visconti QC.

e: oh, and my FPR pens that have flex nibs and ebonite feeds in them. Those are pretty wet too.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My Pelikans, Delta Hawa'ii and Dolcevita, Retro 51 Tornado, Parker 45, Pilot Custom 912 and Wing Sung 698 are all super wet writers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

One of my Viscontis, either the HS Blue Crystal, HS Lava, or my new Manhattan Wall Street.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Jinhao X750, and one of my Lamy Al-Stars with a really beat up nib. (It's been through a lot.)

My wettest writer by far is a 1945 Parker Vacumatic. Pelikan 4001 only sort of tames it.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The anniversary Scala is really nice but the anniversary 2000 is a gigantic turd. They literally just did it up in a slightly different finish and jacked the price up. Zero effort, and even less practical than the original 2000 because there's no ink window.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The all metal 2000 in general is just such a needless pen. The regular version is superior in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, there are still people who enjoy writing with a brick for some reason.