Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Most mid sword decks don't run banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

I can't believe this worked; carried to a 5-0 by the galaxies swolest kunoichi trainee

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

jesus

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

elf child may makes me really sad as banner swords. that value.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I love that this game is generous. I just bought 10 packs and got a skullfane of all things (kick in the nuts) but, six fights later, I am back to 200 gold.

Sadly, my banner win streak got broken after the game decided to make me go four times first and got priest-of-the-cudgeled. Switched to face dragon but things are getting tough for that. Elana -in particular- is an insta-lose if the bring wards.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
gently caress Elana shitters. I did well over 40 face damage and baited TWO Olivias in the probably the longest game ever. He had no answer to two Mordecai the Duelists aside from delaying the game with NINE evolve points and drew every single healing card in the deck. Dropped all three beastcall Arias and did 10 total face damage from storm eagles with evolve to win. All I needed was to draw one of my 6 of my storm cards to win and couldn't get a single one.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Just opened a pack where all 8 cards were animated, wonder if that's just extraordinarily lucky or if there's a random chance for a pack like that.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lord Ephraim posted:

gently caress Elana shitters. I did well over 40 face damage and baited TWO Olivias in the probably the longest game ever. He had no answer to two Mordecai the Duelists aside from delaying the game with NINE evolve points and drew every single healing card in the deck. Dropped all three beastcall Arias and did 10 total face damage from storm eagles with evolve to win. All I needed was to draw one of my 6 of my storm cards to win and couldn't get a single one.

I've gone up against 9 elana players in the last two days and i'm 8-1 against them with tempo forest.

half of them ragequit when i run them out of cards.

gabriel is some great tech, especially when i can nature's guidance or ancient elf her :getin:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kanfy posted:

Just opened a pack where all 8 cards were animated, wonder if that's just extraordinarily lucky or if there's a random chance for a pack like that.

Since it seems like animated cards have around 10% chance to appear and you're the second dude on this thread with an all-animated pack (iirc) then I guess there is a really small chance to set a pack as all-animated.

Otherwise you guys have like 1/100,000,000 kind of luck.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
I've gotten an all animated pack too so I assume they are just something you get sometimes.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

Zoness posted:

I've gone up against 9 elana players in the last two days and i'm 8-1 against them with tempo forest.

half of them ragequit when i run them out of cards.

gabriel is some great tech, especially when i can nature's guidance or ancient elf her :getin:

I don't have a spare 27k vials to make a forest deck. :( No roaches, no Cynthias, no Elf Girl Lizas, no Ancient Elves, no Will of the Forest, and just one Tia. I've opened so many packs and never got any good stuff for Forest. "Budget Forest" doesn't really sound like a thing.

I could barely make a deck to beat the Forest story mode. Holy poo poo, the final boss was insane. Breaks the rules of the game, plays dragonflute song while spamming cheap swordcraft followers and suddenly the board slowly builds up to a bunch of 5/5 dragons.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I went first for 13 of 15 matches today.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I went first for 13 of 15 matches today.

I didn't see a banner after 3 mulligans and 38 played cards

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol what are the chances of that

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

lol what are the chances of that

I have no loving idea, I started keeping track after I lost a game with 20 cards left on my deck. All 3 maids and 3 banners. The next game I lost with 30 cards on deck, and then finally got a banner the next time, just in time to get wrecked.

e: In any case, now that I am in B (and recovered the points I lost to bad luck) I have a few questions: Can you drop out of B? What happens and the end of the month, is it like Heartstone and everybody drops some levels to grind forever and ever? I sure hope not.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 20, 2016

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You can't lose letter ranks. only the number divisions inside those ranks.
Ranks don't reset every month, but the score rewards do.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why does homecoming liquefy for 800 vials? i have 2 of them now

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Awesome! posted:

It was nerfed so they gave players a vial refund on them.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I mostly played this to open packs and because the Granblue Fantasy people were behind it, but it turned out I drew key elements of a Dimension Shift deck so I built one. Jesus I feel bad for the poor Forestcraft newbie I annihilated, I struggled a bit and eventually took four turns in a row. That card is retarded.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

nftyw posted:

I mostly played this to open packs and because the Granblue Fantasy people were behind it, but it turned out I drew key elements of a Dimension Shift deck so I built one. Jesus I feel bad for the poor Forestcraft newbie I annihilated, I struggled a bit and eventually took four turns in a row. That card is retarded.

I seem to recall that it doesn't have an especially high win rate compared to other good decks, at least in high-level play. I don't think there's a big balance issue with it, losing to it just feels worse than normal mentally since you have to sit there and watch the other guy beat you down while you can't do anything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Awesome! posted:

Patch notes say it was nerfed at some point, so this was to make up for it. I thought it expired a while ago though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

deck #1 - banner swords. seems pretty good at beginner ranks at least. i like going face.

wanted to do something totally different for deck #2. decided to go for absolute maximum AIDS and picked an elana/seraph combo lol.

i liquefied most of my dragon golds/silvers because i am least interested in that class and opened a pack with an animated alexander which i also trashed (might be good but i am not going to do another sword deck with him anytime soon).

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Man I spent like 2 hours trying to get 2 ONE win dailies done yesterday, so many god drat haven decks just wrecked my crappy deck.\

Running them over with sword is just want I need now, feeling goooood.

TOO SLOW.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'd like to express my opinion that the gamepress Mid Sword list is trash. Mid Sword as an archetype itself seems fine. The card quality is really the outstanding thing here. But the gamepress list draws like a fuckin nightmare because it's so deep on high costs. 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6. It's just a horrendous chance that you end up with a clogged hand. Floral Fencer is amazing but should be counted as 3 more honorary 5s half the time. Add to it that these high cost cards are often gonna be suboptimal as hell, e.g. Aurelia gets shitloads worse against Elana, Control Blood (seeing a good bit more of that lately), Runecraft, some dragon builds, any Forest player with a pulse, etc. Three Otohimes can leave you with all sorts of suboptimal plays. Sage Commander is a wet fart after an evo war or Themis's Decree.

If anyone has a smoother playing list, I'd be interested.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Literally my first ranked match ever at Beginner 0 is against a Tempo Elf with all the good legendaries/goldens :suicide:

it's hearthstone all over again

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So my budget control Shadow deck is still doing good in the ranked boonies since I mostly play TT and haven't ground my way up, but I'm kinda wondering a couple things. First is, how is control Shadow 'supposed' to win against actual meta-decks rather than the swill I'm matched with now? Is it just hoping for value/Mordecai grind-out, or Cerberus/Phantom Howl rushing your opponent late-game? I got thinking about it and read the meta report and it feels kinda like the deck is weak to aggro because practically no heals and few wards, it seems not great against combo because it can be slow to put on pressure, and it gets very outvalued against other control decks especially if you don't draw Mordecai/they have banish for him. But I mean, while hardly a top deck it still seems to be ranked solidly so it must have SOME favorable match-ups.

Second, and more important, how is the deck supposed to have enough Shadows? When I first made it, I put in Charon for Cerberus, and various removals and such for the spells I couldn't afford to craft. It felt kinda bad and I was constantly starved on Shadows, so I switched to a deck whose only differences from the vanilla control list is using 3x Skull Beast instead of Dark Conjurer (which honestly felt kinda useless) and 2xElder Spartoi Soldier over Phantom Howl, plus the Charon/Cerberus swap. It felt a ton better to play but even with it I found myself occasionally starved for Shadows. Obviously Charon is a hog where Cerberus doesn't need any, but this held true consistently even in games where I didn't draw Charon - I'd frequently end up with a lovely Tempest against rush decks that wasn't even worth casting at 1 damage, or 1 - 2 Shadows short of buffs on Death's Breath. And this is a list that not only has extra +Shadows minions, but also extra on-curve drops as well compared to the standard list.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Built Midrange Swordcraft after opening an animated Saber (which looks absolutely amazing) and I'm having a lot of fun with the deck. Feels good to be the guy playing Otohime instead of getting stomped by the card.

Question - which legendary makes more sense to craft, third Otohime/Saber or first Tsubaki? Tsubaki seems more like a tech card but I've also seen lists with two Tsubakis.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

frajaq posted:

Literally my first ranked match ever at Beginner 0 is against a Tempo Elf with all the good legendaries/goldens :suicide:

that hasnt really been my experience so far tbh. probably just unlucky.

also it is possible to get a really good deck with very minimal time investment depending on pulls and rerolling. beating the practice ai leaders on elite gives you 2 packs worth of gold for each one!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'd like to express my opinion that the gamepress Mid Sword list is trash. Mid Sword as an archetype itself seems fine. The card quality is really the outstanding thing here. But the gamepress list draws like a fuckin nightmare because it's so deep on high costs. 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6. It's just a horrendous chance that you end up with a clogged hand. Floral Fencer is amazing but should be counted as 3 more honorary 5s half the time. Add to it that these high cost cards are often gonna be suboptimal as hell, e.g. Aurelia gets shitloads worse against Elana, Control Blood (seeing a good bit more of that lately), Runecraft, some dragon builds, any Forest player with a pulse, etc. Three Otohimes can leave you with all sorts of suboptimal plays. Sage Commander is a wet fart after an evo war or Themis's Decree.

If anyone has a smoother playing list, I'd be interested.

Don't go to the specific gamepress mid sword page, instead look for the general one. The lists provided in there show tournament winners and so on

https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/deck-archetype/mid-range-swordcraft

4 decks in there have way smoother curves.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

So my budget control Shadow deck is still doing good in the ranked boonies since I mostly play TT and haven't ground my way up, but I'm kinda wondering a couple things. First is, how is control Shadow 'supposed' to win against actual meta-decks rather than the swill I'm matched with now? Is it just hoping for value/Mordecai grind-out, or Cerberus/Phantom Howl rushing your opponent late-game? I got thinking about it and read the meta report and it feels kinda like the deck is weak to aggro because practically no heals and few wards, it seems not great against combo because it can be slow to put on pressure, and it gets very outvalued against other control decks especially if you don't draw Mordecai/they have banish for him. But I mean, while hardly a top deck it still seems to be ranked solidly so it must have SOME favorable match-ups.

Second, and more important, how is the deck supposed to have enough Shadows? When I first made it, I put in Charon for Cerberus, and various removals and such for the spells I couldn't afford to craft. It felt kinda bad and I was constantly starved on Shadows, so I switched to a deck whose only differences from the vanilla control list is using 3x Skull Beast instead of Dark Conjurer (which honestly felt kinda useless) and 2xElder Spartoi Soldier over Phantom Howl, plus the Charon/Cerberus swap. It felt a ton better to play but even with it I found myself occasionally starved for Shadows. Obviously Charon is a hog where Cerberus doesn't need any, but this held true consistently even in games where I didn't draw Charon - I'd frequently end up with a lovely Tempest against rush decks that wasn't even worth casting at 1 damage, or 1 - 2 Shadows short of buffs on Death's Breath. And this is a list that not only has extra +Shadows minions, but also extra on-curve drops as well compared to the standard list.

Shadowcraft is in a pretty bad spot right now for all the reasons you described. You're better off playing more of a midrange build rather than control.

For shadows I'm a fan of using deathchaser. You can usually get at least 2 shadows from its effect and oftentimes 4 when your opponent evolves.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Mr. Whale posted:

Shadowcraft is in a pretty bad spot right now for all the reasons you described. You're better off playing more of a midrange build rather than control.

For shadows I'm a fan of using deathchaser. You can usually get at least 2 shadows from its effect and oftentimes 4 when your opponent evolves.

Eh, I don't mind because as I said, I'm still playing about 60% other budget decks that can't punish me for playing Control Shadowcraft unlike real meta decks, and 20% absolutely bizarre non-decks that are free-wins, so it's not a problem for me yet. I'm actually on a 12-win streak right now.

I am indeed running Deathchaser, I basically just netdecked my list from the standard Control Shadow and then changed some stuff around based on what I couldn't afford to craft and playtesting for myself. Deathchaser is great but I find it very unreliable myself - it depends on curving out well if I am to have a cheap minion to drop along with it, so that mostly doesn't happen. I also need to curve out well to avoid my opponent just trading into it with stuff left over on the board before evolving on their side, and even then they can simply have removal for it. That's if I even draw it. Again, really good but not too reliable I find - its main benefit is it's just got otherwise solid stats to go with the situational effect, especially being a 2/3 rather than 3/2 making it nice against Sword/Forest aggro.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

frajaq posted:

That was my experience too on my first 3 or 4 matches. It gets better but D-rank, in particular, has many assholes with money trying to play really expensive decks and sucking at it. I have no idea what the hell is up with that but they are there.

For the record, I'm in my path to hitting A-rank and my banner swordcraft deck (minus the Tsubaki I got rerolling) costs around 1,800 vials and is easy to play. Actually, I am seeing *a lot* of banner sword in B-rank (other cheap new players, I guess) so I have actually modified my deck to deal with that so maybe it is like 2,000 now :monocle:

Awesome! posted:

that hasnt really been my experience so far tbh. probably just unlucky.

also it is possible to get a really good deck with very minimal time investment depending on pulls and rerolling. beating the practice ai leaders on elite gives you 2 packs worth of gold for each one!

Nah, this is people either totally sucking at the game after months and months of playing or guys who immediately dropped a thousand into it, which is as normal as a dog barking in Japan.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 20, 2016

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

trucutru posted:

Don't go to the specific gamepress mid sword page, instead look for the general one. The lists provided in there show tournament winners and so on

https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/deck-archetype/mid-range-swordcraft

4 decks in there have way smoother curves.

I'm running a modified version of the 32k vials deck and it was quite hilarious when I get the perfect curve of Maid Gunner -> Fencer -> White General. You have a 8/6 super buff maid on evolve that can't be Priest of the Cuckgel, and Beastcall Aria is one turn too late.

Swordcraft is just a few cards away from making an ambush deck viable. Right now it just doesn't have the burst to blow up Haven before followers get Decreed followed up by 3-4 healing cards the turn after.

Retcon posted:

Question - which legendary makes more sense to craft, third Otohime/Saber or first Tsubaki? Tsubaki seems more like a tech card but I've also seen lists with two Tsubakis.

Otohime is one of those cards where you can't go wrong with 3 of them in any deck. Much like Cerberus, Ancient Elf and Crystalia Tia.

Lord Ephraim fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 21, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I don't agree that otohime goes in any sword deck, but she's the ace card in midrange sword against control matchups, while aurelia is very strong against aggro decks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

On the encouragement of the Steam thread (Awesome! specifically) I finally got around to trying this and I rather like it. Pretty much a total TCG neophyte though. Guess I ought to look into this Rerolling thing before I play much of the story/get into games, but I have no idea which class appeals right now.

Also I guess the LeapDroid devs joined Google and took it down, and the only download links I can find from Google look remarkably skeevy

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 21, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

someone posted a download link at some point on the last few pages i think.

im not sure though, if you already started on steam you might be locked in to what you got.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Awesome! posted:

someone posted a download link at some point on the last few pages i think.

im not sure though, if you already started on steam you might be locked in to what you got.

Not gonna worry too much about it, knowing me I won't play this long anyway :v:

Burned all my tickets for both card sets and ended up with Aurelia, Regal Saber; Mythril Golem; Zirnitra; Crystalia Tia; and Bloody Mary for legendary cards. Dunno if that's good or not!

Guess I should at least go play the first couple chapters of each class' story so I get the idea a little better.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Ciaphas posted:

Not gonna worry too much about it, knowing me I won't play this long anyway :v:

Burned all my tickets for both card sets and ended up with Aurelia, Regal Saber; Mythril Golem; Zirnitra; Crystalia Tia; and Bloody Mary for legendary cards. Dunno if that's good or not!

Guess I should at least go play the first couple chapters of each class' story so I get the idea a little better.

If you've been playing on steam, you can't reroll anyhow, afaik. Because you won't be able to switch the account your steam copy uses.

So that solves that problem.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
is it better to play this game on phone or pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can do both and they link progress. if you want to deal with rerolling start on mobile

• Locked thread