Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

B.H. Facials posted:

Somehow I got away with using a TI-89 all through highschool and junior college. Looked enough like a TI-83 and my teachers never bothered to look any closer. Sucked having to always have the manual on hand at all times in order to translate the teachers directions for the 83 to the 89 though.

Basically same, except for one teacher who did bother to look closer.... which sucked, because I recall it was just before an exam.

Do they still make kids use proper calculators these days? Or have they finally got around to letting them all just use Wolfram Alpha or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I was in high school (and later in college) you could use a calculator during class but not during tests. I was terrible at math so calculators were a mixed blessing, teasing me with how easy they could make things.

My solar powered Casio scientific calculator could do far more than I could understand. I still have it and it still works over 30 years later.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

doctorfrog posted:

Wasn't the original Game Boy powered by a Z80?

The gameboy used a hybrid chip, but it was partially based on the Z80 and uses the Z80 instruction set.

The SMS, Mark III, Genesis (as coprocessor to the 68k), Colecovision, and a whole bunch of 80s micros used the Z80 itself.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dick Trauma posted:

When I was in high school (and later in college) you could use a calculator during class but not during tests. I was terrible at math so calculators were a mixed blessing, teasing me with how easy they could make things.

My solar powered Casio scientific calculator could do far more than I could understand. I still have it and it still works over 30 years later.

Ha, I used that exact calculator in highschool alongside my TI-83 - my grandfather worked for some office supply company and gave one to my mom at some point. I remember it as being surprisingly capable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

doctorfrog posted:

Wasn't the original Game Boy powered by a Z80?

The GameBoy’s CPU is weird hybrid of a Z80 and an Intel 8080.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Dick Trauma posted:

I still have my Canon F-73P. The battery is failing but it's a good 30+ years old too. I was pretty pleased with myself when I managed to program it to work out quadratic equations.

Back in my day calculators weren't really a thing you used in high school until we hit the final year or so. Prior to that you were expected to show all the working on any maths that needed doing and expected to know the sin, cos or tan of certain angles off the top of your head. You know, handy skills that will see you through your adult life.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

It would be hilarious if Texas Instruments is just a big shell propped up by calculator sales. You could make a claim that the 100 dollars goes towards the software running on the Z80 but is that seriously still worth 100 dollars after all these years? It's all a big racket where they can set whatever price they want because every school forces you to use the TI calculator.

This is the legit reason why. If you weren't required almost by law to have a ti-83 then you would be able to buy a Chinese one for $30 at Wal-mart and use it

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I used one of my moms old casio scientific calculators from the 70s in high school because it did everything required despite the class requiring a certain one

Didn't stop the teacher from repeatedly asking if I understood how to punch it into my calculator. it's the exact same

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Pff, Texas Instruments? The real cool kids had a color-ish Casio :c00lbutt:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mechanism Eight posted:

I had a version of that and it was actually really nice but yeah it was a bitch since everything was written with TI83's in mind

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I had that exact calculator and programmed a version of final fantasy 8's triple triad card game on that sucker. Two player hotseat, randomly created decks, and even saving its in-progress state since it used the list functionality as variable storage. I wish i still had that program for old time's sake. Didn't have a cable, so it was all plugged in by hand

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Aren't there knockoff TI calculators that might pass for real? The chinese will make a fake replica of a $15 Casio F-91W watch, I can't imagine they won't take the opportunity to fake something that sells for $100 but costs a couple of dollars to make.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mechanism Eight posted:

I bought one of these for 7½€ I think and thank god it came with a manual.

Also, http://casiomaniac69.tripod.com/main.html

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I've never looked, but wouldn't there be tons of used ti-83 or whatever calculators available for like $30 every time summer rolls around?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CubanMissile posted:

I've never looked, but wouldn't there be tons of used ti-83 or whatever calculators available for like $30 every time summer rolls around?

No because you just have to use it next year, or your brother does, or a family friend does.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CubanMissile posted:

A few years ago I needed one for a class, and got one for not much under $100 off eBay.

The market for these things is artificially inflated, so good luck finding one that cheap.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Try a pawn shop next time. When I was in college I was able to score one for the semester for $30 and flip it on eBay for more at the end.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

CubanMissile posted:

I find TI-83+ calculators at the thrift store every so often and they only sell them for 1-2 dollars. I buy them and flip them on eBay, put a buy it now of like 30-35 and they sell in no time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Ah yeah

How many of us does this trigger memories for?

Heh, we actually have one of those in the kindergarten where I work.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Ah yeah

How many of us does this trigger memories for?

Those things always remind me of my old middle school algebra teacher, who everyone nicknamed Bubbles. He earned his nickname because, due to an old football injury, he was missing the tip of his tongue, so when he talked during class, he would spit onto the overhead projector, resulting in spit bubbles being projected onto the wall along with his equations.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
I work at a community college and a bunch of random (old, retired) teachers-for-hire still use those. It's a huge pain cos nobody else uses themso I always have to hunt down a working one from storage every few months for them. The last teacher who wanted one taught homeopathy... lovely poo poo.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Always used to love it when a bulb would blow in those things, because that period would basically be cancelled while the teacher spent half an hour walking to the principals office to track down a replacement bulb. I guess those bulbs were expensive, because they would never just keep spares in the classrooms.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

empty baggie posted:

Always used to love it when a bulb would blow in those things, because that period would basically be cancelled while the teacher spent half an hour walking to the principals office to track down a replacement bulb. I guess those bulbs were expensive, because they would never just keep spares in the classrooms.
Not to mention those bulbs burned at like 3,000 Kelvin. It would take an hour+ easily for those fuckers to cool down enough to even attempt a replacement.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

empty baggie posted:

Those things always remind me of my old middle school algebra teacher, who everyone nicknamed Bubbles. He earned his nickname because, due to an old football injury, he was missing the tip of his tongue, so when he talked during class, he would spit onto the overhead projector, resulting in spit bubbles being projected onto the wall along with his equations.

Luxury. I had an English teacher who had a deformed, almost missing, right hand. Guess which hand she used to move the transparencies around with? It was horrifying.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Wylie posted:

Luxury. I had an English teacher who had a deformed, almost missing, right hand. Guess which hand she used to move the transparencies around with? It was horrifying.

My germs!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Wylie posted:

In college I had a math professor who had one of those things but with this, like, scroll of transparency film on it. He'd just scroll up, and up, and up as he taught, and you could go back at the end of the day to check your notes, or after a day you missed to copy them. It was nice.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Grand Prize Winner posted:

In college I had a math professor who had one of those things but with this, like, scroll of transparency film on it. He'd just scroll up, and up, and up as he taught, and you could go back at the end of the day to check your notes, or after a day you missed to copy them. It was nice.

My other math teacher in middle school did this. She had the whole lesson plan for the year pre-written on a few scrolls, but would fill in the answers to equations as she taught. I think Bubbles did the same thing now that I recall it. I wonder how much spit he rolled up every day.

empty baggie has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Nov 20, 2016

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

A Brief History of Microsoft on the Web - from Microsoft, covering their web site from 1993 to around 2000. Has some screen shots and descriptions. I didn't read too much of it, but this was good:

quote:

... our blooper reel:

Mark Ingalls recalls how he mistakenly deleted the live default.htm file that served as the microsoft.com home page, in the days before staging servers. While home page visitors were receiving File Not Found errors, Ingalls rooted around in his browser cache - where the cache filenames did NOT map to their real names - to find and restore the page to active duty.

The predecessor to MSNBC, known then as MSN News, was first published prematurely when a member of the production team, sitting up on a desk to study a schematic, clicked a mouse button with his derriere. The team watched in horror as the content went live to a public server before it was ready.

For the Internet Explorer 3.0 launch, the product support team released a fully overhauled knowledge base. However, their production environment didn't mirror the Web server, and the site was published without running a vital script that adjusted the drive letter used for the access point on the live Web machines. When customers tried to search the knowledge base, they'd get errors instead of results.

A vendor who had only a passing knowledge of microsoft.com coding policies delivered the first Windows CE site. The first test on the site with Weblint, a tool used to check validity of HTML, returned 100 pages of errors. There was a harried pre-Comdex weekend in November 1996 where every link and quite a bit of other code on the several hundred page site was manually recoded by a handful of people so it could be published in time for Bill Gates' Sunday night keynote.

The first try at personalization on microsoft.com, with a home page that marked headlines as read once a user had clicked them, wasn't tested for scalability to a large Internet audience. The technology worked fine on an internal Microsoft intranet site, so it was simply ported to the live site. It wasn't long before the feature was removed due to its decimating impact on live Web servers.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Buttcoin purse posted:

A Brief History of Microsoft on the Web - from Microsoft, covering their web site from 1993 to around 2000. Has some screen shots and descriptions. I didn't read too much of it, but this was good:

Do you think they'll turn it into a book for $299?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Do you think they'll turn it into a book for $299?

Is this something they've done before??

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Buttcoin purse posted:

Is this something they've done before??
Apple did it recently. There is no god reason for a coffee table book to cost that much.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Apple did it recently. There is no god reason for a coffee table book to cost that much.

If it was cheap no-one would want it. That's Apple's (and many other companies') entire business strategy.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

Apple did it recently.

:eyepop:

Stop spreading FUD, the small version only costs $200.

I don't think many people would want a book of pictures of stuff Microsoft designed even if it was free.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does Microsoft even design anything? Their controller is one of the all time greats and someone else designed it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Buttcoin purse posted:

I don't think many people would want a book of pictures of stuff Microsoft designed even if it was free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Does Microsoft even design anything? Their controller is one of the all time greats and someone else designed it.

I assume they do their own user interfaces.

They used to be okay.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Buttcoin purse posted:

I assume they do their own user interfaces.

They used to be okay.

The Windows Shutdown crapfest

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I wonder if the person who made that was sexually aroused by his own naughtiness the whole time

I assume there was an answer video where Apple destroyed something by simplifying it ... oh wait, it was http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-introduces-revolutionary-new-laptop-with-no--14299

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

I wonder if the person who made that was sexually aroused by his own naughtiness the whole time
What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i miss danny elfman music in web videos