Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Heath posted:

I haven't read it for a long time but I remember one of the gimmicks of Piers Anthony's Incarnation of Time novel was that the protagonist becomes the manifestation of time and ages in reverse, so his future is his lover's past... meaning at one point he will be an old man and his love interest will be a little girl.

So, basically, it was a Piers Anthony novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Never going to get what happened to crazy brother out of my head. Never.

Remind me because I'm coming up blank

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think he also wrote a few Wild Cards stories.

At least one. It was about a joker who was a blob or tentacle monster of some sort. It lurked in subway cars and used its psychic power to transform women into similar blob-monsters so it could rape them.

Oohhhh.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

are there still a lot of popular sci-fi books with weird sex fantasies in a post-racial and post-gender Hugos

Kij Johnson won a Nebula and was Hugo shortlisted for Spar, a story about a woman stuck in a tiny escape pod with a blob alien she is constantly having sex with. Dialogue includes, "I loving hate you. I hate loving you."

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Thinky Whale posted:

"I loving hate you. I hate loving you."

Thread title?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

hackbunny posted:

Remind me because I'm coming up blank

Maggots

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches

Thinky Whale posted:

"I loving hate you. I hate loving you."

"I loving hate you
I loving hate loving you
I hate loving you."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Xarbala posted:

So, basically, it was a Piers Anthony novel

"Air Apparent includes a character known as a Debra who is a 13-year-old girl who is constantly pressured to take off her bra. To De-Bra so to speak. She is based on a real girl. Debra Kawaguchi was a huge fan of the Xanth series and after her death in 2004, her father wrote Piers and asked him to include Debra in his cast of characters. Piers mentions Mr. Kawaguchi in the author notes as the inspiration for Debra."

I almost admire the balls it would take to tell a grieving father that the only way you could pay tribute to his 13-year-old daughter is writing a book about how bad you want to see her tits.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Dienes posted:

"Air Apparent includes a character known as a Debra who is a 13-year-old girl who is constantly pressured to take off her bra. To De-Bra so to speak. She is based on a real girl. Debra Kawaguchi was a huge fan of the Xanth series and after her death in 2004, her father wrote Piers and asked him to include Debra in his cast of characters. Piers mentions Mr. Kawaguchi in the author notes as the inspiration for Debra."

I almost admire the balls it would take to tell a grieving father that the only way you could pay tribute to his 13-year-old daughter is writing a book about how bad you want to see her tits.

Aaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Oh, uh. I had completely forgotten about that

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Dienes posted:

There is always more to learn about Piers Anthony and the books he wrote, and it is always worse.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I don't know a thing about Piers Anthony's personal life and I still feel pretty confident in my belief that the man is a human stain.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Last time I was arguing about him on the internet I clicked over to his blog and found this http://www.hipiers.com/12july.html

you'll know when you see it

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

xiw posted:

I beg to loving differ. There are two different sections, separated by paragraphs and paragraphs, that you could 100% be talking about.

Were you talking about the the story of an old man made young again so he could court a super hot 16-year-old princess? (he didn't want to, honest, the demons made him do it) Or were you talking about the part where Piers describes, in exquisite detail, the many facets of his erectile dysfunction? (how erect he can get, what pills he used to take, his old dosages, the current herbal supplements he takes, his wife's feelings on the matter, and the coup-de-grace, his cock ring)

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

xiw posted:

Last time I was arguing about him on the internet I clicked over to his blog and found this http://www.hipiers.com/12july.html

:gonk:

also, from later on:

quote:

I have a lot of fun with the stink horn in Xanth: step on it and it makes a foul smelling noise and emits a filthy brown stench that no one can stand. And yes, of course a critic could suggest that they just read one of my columns aloud to sicken the enemy.

for the first time ever, i actually agree with this man

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches

xiw posted:

I got to the first mention of a teenage girl, thought, oh there it is, that's standard Anthony creepiness, found the second one, maybe that was it? Then...:stare:
Also that prose style...yeesh. Do you think he's trying to mimic Flowers for Algernon or it's accidental?

I actually have copies of two Anthony books, Virtual Mode and Fractal Mode, that were given to me as a teenager. I sincerely hope the person who gave them to me didn't read them and thought they were just standard teenage fantasy. They both feature sexualized depictions of a fourteen-year-old girl (they all have a favorite age don't they?), a weird tendency to describe every time the characters poop, and characters being forced into gently caress-or-die scenarios. Oh, and scenes where said teenage girl is described from the point of view of a horny male character much older than her. And dudes being titillated by modesty (eg the girl wearing underwear in a society where that isn't done), like that somehow excuses sexualizing a child, and lots of mentions of the male characters being turned on even though they totally feel kinda bad about it (projection much?). And the girl being described as having power over men because she turns them on. They can't help it, you know? She's basically forcing them to see her this way. It seriously reads like something written to groom a kid. I can't bring myself to throw a book in the garbage but I don't want to donate them either because then someone else will read them :stonk:

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a bottle of vodka with my name on it. And I think I'll have to chase it with bleach.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Samfucius posted:

I beg to loving differ. There are two different sections, separated by paragraphs and paragraphs, that you could 100% be talking about.

Were you talking about the the story of an old man made young again so he could court a super hot 16-year-old princess? (he didn't want to, honest, the demons made him do it) Or were you talking about the part where Piers describes, in exquisite detail, the many facets of his erectile dysfunction? (how erect he can get, what pills he used to take, his old dosages, the current herbal supplements he takes, his wife's feelings on the matter, and the coup-de-grace, his cock ring)

Came here to post this. When I hit the part about him writing a story about an 80-yo man that is assigned to court a 16-yo girl, I was so, so sure that is what he meant.

I was not prepared for him to segway tropical storms and wedding anniversaries to a treatise on the cocktail of drugs and instruments needed to coax his geriatric dick to life in defiance of god's will and human decency.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
current Through the Ice status: so far mostly just mediocre but

quote:

"What are you?"
"I am a tree, you twit!"
Ask a silly question! "Who are you?"
"I am Sen-Tree, a direct descendant of the once-powerful Guard-Trees."

quote:

How was his mother doing? His sister? He picutred Ferne crying, her cheery nature abolished, her brown eyes turning red, and that hurt worse. No more tickle fights!

It starts...

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

I decided to have a look at this past August's newsletter for something more recent and, uh...

quote:

My 31,100 word novella Pira will be published in AwGhost by eXcessica. It's a science fiction love story. This is the one about the girl who can kill at up to a hundred feet with the power of her laser-focusing hands. She's 15 but looks more like 11, and must have an adult guardian as she goes about her business, which is tackling dangerous hostage takers and other criminals. She has a permanent crush on Orion, her guardian, a black belt in judo, and is desperate to win him, but he is not about to touch a child. They get into the thoughtful poems of William Butler Yeats as their relationship develops, and do a remarkable dance together. This is perhaps my favorite of my recent novellas, though I do like them all in different ways.
Keep on creepin', Piers.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
He's just not even hiding it anymore, is he.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

She's 15 but looks more like 11

Why

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heath posted:

He's just not even hiding it anymore, is he.
So you're saying there was a period when he did?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've heard of animes and such saying things like "she looks 15 but is actually really 18 (or a 1000-year-old demon)".

I can hardly fathom the depths of depravity to peg a girl at below the age of consent, and then still say she looks even younger than that.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've heard of animes and such saying things like "she looks 15 but is actually really 18 (or a 1000-year-old demon)".

I can hardly fathom the depths of depravity to peg a girl at below the age of consent, and then still say she looks even younger than that.

It's so you can rope in both pedophiles and ephebophiles!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

But guys, it's okay, she has laser hands which clearly means she's capable of informed consent to sex with an adult man who is also her guardian auuuugh why is Piers Anthony still alive in a world that lost Leonard Cohen whhyyyyyyyy

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
A hundred feed range on her killing ability? My god, that insane power...it almost rivals that of a lovely gun!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nah, it's the same thing basically - this relationship develops over "years" so basically he set her age at the right point to make her 18 when they gently caress (but still look 12 or whatever).

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I know Robert Jordan has some haters here. I mostly like Wheel of Time, despite its flaws, and was glad Sanderson wrapped things up in a satisfying manner after Jordan took things off the rails. Anyway I'm a bit of a Jordan apologist, and when I saw he had a book I never heard of at the used book store, I picked it up.

It's a historical fiction about the American Revolution? What could be so bad? Well to start, here is its original 1980's cover:

So yea, it's sort of a bodice ripper, with a protagonist who is super awesome at everything. Sexing up ladies, clerical work, and fighting for America's freedom. Michael Fallon is on the run for killing a british soldier in self defense after stopping him from raping a bar maid. So he runs to America and becomes an indentured servant in the Carolinas. He's super good at clerical work, and before long has his own plantation. There's even his best buddy a free black man who tells him how awesome slaves actually have it. And how he's just going to buy a slave for a wife. And Michael discovers how hard it is to be a poor slave owner. To steal abit from the political cartoon thread "Slavery, really-not so bad."-a black man-a white guy

Then there's more of the book's sexual politics. Seducing, or rather being seduced by, a sixteen year old. And then said 16 year old is mad because he goes off for business so she tricks his archrival into raping and marrying her.

All this while he forrest gumps his way into every major historical figure from the time. You'll also discover that contrary to popular belief, those lazy northerners didn't do poo poo. It's abysmal, and only the first part of a trilogy. Think I'll skip the rest.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pookel posted:

Nah, it's the same thing basically - this relationship develops over "years" so basically he set her age at the right point to make her 18 when they gently caress (but still look 12 or whatever).
It doesn't say this. How do you know this? What are you not telling us?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

quote:

the girl who can kill at up to a hundred feet with the power of her laser-focusing hands. She's 15 but looks more like 11
ew, piers anthony wrote a fanfic about me

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Why don't we file Piers Anthony under the Awkward, Ugly, Gross thread? Because it's always the same story with him, only worse each time you hear about it.

Content: I really wish Brandon Sanderson would cut off the first halves of his books, because it's only then do things start to happen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Content: I really wish Brandon Sanderson would cut off the first halves of his books, because it's only then do things start to happen.

It's definitely his a weakness as a writer, but the later books are a lot better about it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
On the subject of small gripes about great books, the ending to Rivers of London was such a complete and total damp fart it took me weeks to try the sequel. Minor spoiler warning- if you're going to establish a whole fuckton of new rules about magic right at the end and you've already established that your main character is incredibly perceptive, it's okay to linger a little longer on the implications than half a fuckin' page.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 11:53 on Nov 20, 2016

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
It took me forever to realise that Rivers of London wasn't some weird alternative name for London Falling. It turns out there's two early 2010s series, written by former Dr Who screenwriters, about London police detectives called Peter who unwittingly stumble upon the city's hidden magic, that are decent books but have trouble finishing in a satisfactory manner.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It doesn't say this. How do you know this? What are you not telling us?
Just an educated guess because it's Piers loving Anthony.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I meant that it doesn't actually mention "years", but whatever.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
I have to confess I still enjoy the books and will reread them multiple times but I do feel the Tony Winters trilogy by PS Power definitely fits this thread. The main character is a 15 boy who's drug addict mother abandons him with her brother (who runs a gym and trains MMA fighters) while she goes to work on a cruise ship. Tony decides that the only way he won't be kicked out is to be the perfect young man. So he does, and is so perfect that within a couple weeks he is training professional fighters, shortly after beats a professional fighter in a televised match where he was picked as a last minute replacement for the original opponent, and he gets a black belt in Brazillian Jiu Jitsu at 15 while only training for a month or two. I mean it's a fun read and fairly well written especially for a Kindle Unlimited offering, but Tony's a complete wish fulfillment character.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Okay, so number one, there's going to be a Kvothe movie, and number two, never in a million goddamn years are you going to guess who they tapped to produce it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote:

Lindsey Beer, one of the writers working on Transformers 5, has been tapped to adapt the first book in the series, The Name of the Wind, for the big screen.
Treating it with the reverence it deserves

I hope this crashes and burns so hard, it goes back in time and negatively affects book sales.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Being fair, the Name of the Wind is, despite some issues, a decent book.

When it gets to the Wise Man's Fear adaptation, then we get to start throwing tomatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well, this sure could turn out to be amazingly terrible. The decent parts of the books don't really translate to film, while the obnoxious ones most certainly do. Best odds we have is they give it the Legend of the Seeker treatment, striping out everything but the bare bones and turning it into a something bland but reasonably entertaining.

The only good thing about all this is that pretty much no matter what they do, the fanbase will likely get deliciously mad. :allears: