Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

ijyt posted:

That is a super cool camo pattern - is it based on a real life one? Which legion is it going to be for?
The biggest inspiration is modern Russian Army steppe camouflage, just with more tan and a browner khaki so it doesn't look too close to Cadian 8th camouflage.

As for legion, I'm leaning Imperial Fists, substituting the yellow for this tan color. Fluffwise, they're one of my favorite legions, but christ do I hate yellow.

The other one I've been considering in Dark Angels Ironwing, which looks interesting as gently caress to play. I suppose I could build both at once if I keep the legion-specific markings to a minimum.

I'm finding choosing a legion difficult just because a lot of them have something I find really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Just pull a reverse BULBASAUR and play imperial fists and then use DA rules to make them worse.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aesaar posted:

The biggest inspiration is modern Russian Army steppe camouflage, just with more tan and a browner khaki so it doesn't look too close to Cadian 8th camouflage.

As for legion, I'm leaning Imperial Fists, substituting the yellow for this tan color. Fluffwise, they're one of my favorite legions, but christ do I hate yellow.

The other one I've been considering in Dark Angels Ironwing, which looks interesting as gently caress to play. I suppose I could build both at once if I keep the legion-specific markings to a minimum.

I'm finding choosing a legion difficult just because a lot of them have something I find really cool.

There's precedent in the Fists for companies having wildly different heraldry from the base yellow (the Black Templars got their color scheme from Sigismund's company/chapter). You could just say this chapter/company of the Fists uses different colors in its heraldry from the bulk of the Fists.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Just pull a reverse BULBASAUR and play imperial fists and then use DA rules to make them worse.

So what you are saying is that BULBASAUR plays DA with IW rules?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
He plays Kroot with Jokaero rules.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That is a baller tank and I'd like to see an IF camo scheme.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dorn with Omegon rules

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

OhDearGodNo posted:

I've been trying to do a marble base effect for a while now with no luck.

I think one problem is that I don't want to do white marble- most of the tables I play on are darker so it'll stand out and draw from the model.

I was thinking black with white and gold veins, but every time I do it just looks like poo poo.

With the BoP set I was considering getting the pre made plasticard with tile 1/4" tiles engraved and have them match the boards that came with the set.

Textured plasticard is a godsend for cheap bases - get yourself one of those compass-style circle cutters and you're away. Cutting a single circle in half nice and jagged with some intact and some broken tiles and then filling the rest with sand and rubble looks good, too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

I've been trying to do a marble base effect for a while now with no luck.

I think one problem is that I don't want to do white marble- most of the tables I play on are darker so it'll stand out and draw from the model.

I was thinking black with white and gold veins, but every time I do it just looks like poo poo.
I do green marble on my bases and I based (:v:) it off of a tutorial I found online. I start with grey, drybrush it with a stone color, and tint it with a green wash. I then paint most of the lines, glaze it green, and paint a few more lines. I use maybe three different colors for said lines, but most of them get tinted by the glaze so they're a bit more varied than that would suggest. Marble's not so bad.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Every time I paint the lines they look like someone tried to paint veins but they came out like lightning.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Anacharis Scoria: Xanathite Abeyant 315
Magos Dominus: augury scanner; machinator array 105

3 Castellax Class Battle-automata: 3× battle-automata power blades; frag grenades; enhanced targeting array 405
2 Castellax Class Battle-automata: 2× Darkfire cannon; enhanced targeting array 280
6 Thallax: 2× photon thruster 305
3 Thallax: phased plasma-fusil 145
3 Thallax: phased plasma-fusil 145

2 Vulturax Battle-automata Maniple 350
3 Vorax Class Battle-automata: 2 rotor cannon (bio-corrosive ammunition); frag grenades 240

1 Thanatar Class Siege-automata: enhanced targeting array 265

War Machine Detachment
Indentured Knight Crusader: Questoris battlecannon 440

2.995 points

Only problem I see is too few scoring units.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
With Scoria and Knight you're not out to make any friends there.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Friends are overrated. Where I come from, it's all about making it look as terrible as possible, and deflecting the real issue of broken units onto salamander praetors with EW. Atleast when you are playing EC and have access to bullshit stuff like sonic shriekers, kakophoni and those spears.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 17, 2016

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Ok, so after getting a better look at the rules for 30k I have some questions for "my first World Eaters army".

What rite of war do I pick?
We are thinking 1500 points to start and I have 40 marines + 5 termines + those 2 HQ models and them some stuff like like a landriader, a Predator and some rhinos from my 40k collection I have not used yet. I intend to play it very basic, I enjoy CC and I run my mans at the enemy to do max damage. I liked Orks and CC-demons and the new Khornate Demonkin books from 40k so I knew this was the army for me (plus the paint scheme is great). I was thinking maybe use the Berzerker one since pinning checks suck and who does not like hated in CC? The problem is the 3rd compulsory troop choice. I suppose I could pick the one from the main book, the one that gives FNP but I see myself losing the 'attrition' a lot and giving a VP for that seems really bad. I could go with the basic one that lets Vet Squads be troops but it just feels wrong.

Speaking of troops, I am got 20 MK4 and now 20 MK3 dudes to build. I was thinking of doing 2x10 tacs in rhinos and 1x20 tacs on foot. That way I cover all 3 troop slots. Probably all BP/ChainAxe. But after looking at 4chan thing you guys directed me to they say it's all about assault squads. it averages about 4ppm more to get them all jump packs but that's still cheaper per model than 10-dudes in a rhino. I like fast blobs and it seems much easier to play then positioning vehicles and dealing with no assault ramps. The hard part would be getting 40 jumppacks but I guess I could spend like $60 and get them from the slow boat from europe. Would spending 610points+ on jump troops be a dumb idea?

For the cataphractii terminators I was thinking going with the red butchers because why not. But, shall I go with the free 2x axes? If so how the hell do I get them? The set only comes with one sword arm and the rest are big fists. Is it a good/not-awful idea to go with 2x claws or 2x fists instead? I was thinking maybe 4 guys with 2xclaws and the leader has fist/thunderhammer (I have a hand+hammer I can use in the gun arm). So like 560 points right there if I put them in a shielded landriader.

So if I do that I am left with only about 330sh points for HQ or any HS for the list. I suddenly feel the need for some anti tank after buying all these toys and I just don't see the room. I was thinking of taking an apothecary or two, I have not really looked at the HQs to be honest. I figured I would ask here before I got too attached. Maybe I do need to take the basic Rite of War and get some Vet Squads with meltas or something.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Look up Gahlan Surlak. He's an apothecary, but he also lets you turn one unit of tacticals into augmented inductees that have some neat bonuses.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
1500 points is really not a lot in 30k land. Instead of thinking in 1500/1850/2000 points it's more like 2000/2500/3000.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Gotta start somewhere! If you're looking at starting small a very nice way to do it with models from the calth/prospero boxes for any legion is to run a delegatus with pride of the legion as your rite of war, then take some vets as your troop choices. This is also cool because vets are extremely good and cheap in the latest edition of the red book.

For world eaters particularly, you'll want to look at ways of delivering troops efficiently into your enemies face. Drop pods, a spartan, a caestus or a storm eagle could be very good as you scale up. Those 2 wound terminators are also a pretty solid choice.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Re: Marble Chat

I work in a library that houses samples of architectural materials. I have not yet tried this, but I really want to try to make laminate work for terrain/bases.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wilsonar...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I may grab a sample tab off our wall at work today and see what I can do to a test base. Biggest issue is probably cutting it neatly and if the pattern scales well to that small.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Felime posted:

Re: Marble Chat

I work in a library that houses samples of architectural materials. I have not yet tried this, but I really want to try to make laminate work for terrain/bases.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wilsonar...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I may grab a sample tab off our wall at work today and see what I can do to a test base. Biggest issue is probably cutting it neatly and if the pattern scales well to that small.

I have a sheet of that exact same laminate that I bought for that purpose when trying it.

There are 3 problems:

- The scale of the marble is too large for bases
- The laminate is thick, about 30% of a base height.
- The texture is made to grip some, so it's matte and rough like typical laminate.

I spent a lot of time at Home Depot looking at the little cards they have as samples, and some would work (if I could acquire about 100) although I haven't found a really good classic marble sample.

e: I'm also looking into dollhouse floor types.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lmao if you play World Eaters and don't use the Berserker Assault RoW

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

I have a sheet of that exact same laminate that I bought for that purpose when trying it.

There are 3 problems:

- The scale of the marble is too large for bases
- The laminate is thick, about 30% of a base height.
- The texture is made to grip some, so it's matte and rough like typical laminate.

I spent a lot of time at Home Depot looking at the little cards they have as samples, and some would work (if I could acquire about 100) although I haven't found a really good classic marble sample.

e: I'm also looking into dollhouse floor types.

Snagged a chip of these, I believe (I quite stupidly chopped it up and glued it down before thinking to check which one.) Smaller scale pattern and looks pretty good, though a lot of the chips had pretty much entirely white portions.

http://www.wilsonart.com/white-carrara-4924

Smaller Scale,
About 1mm thick
Satin texture

And those chips at home depot are samples for you to use in picking out something to do your countertops with or whatever. It probably won't be free like architects and designers can get (a couple bucks starts looking really insignificant when the sample is for a several thousand dollar job), but I'd bet you can get small sheet sized samples of whatever laminate you like there. Just tell the home depot people you want to see what a larger area looks like on your countertop and see what options they can get you for a couple larger samples.

The advice on what to say to avoid having to tell the home depot associate it's for tiny plastic mans is probably the most valuable part of this post.

Edited: for a picture with the most handy nearby Hams for scale/reference.

http://imgur.com/a/fTRfs

Edit2: Actually, I think it's still the Calcutta Pattern, just Satin Finish

Felime fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 19, 2016

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

That scales better than I imagined, although as you say probably would need to select specific areas.

I'm looking into one of those circle cutter things (like a compass).

I ordered one of these on eBay yesterday- it's a sheet of 1" black marble squares, cost about $10 with shipping.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Siege Breaker in Terminator armour: 3× phosphex bomb; combi-weapon; chainfist 182

19 Tactical Space Marines: legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist; melta bombs) 265
19 Tactical Space Marines: legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist; melta bombs) 265

Apothecarion Detachment
Apothecary 45
3 Quad Launcher Rapier Carriers: shatter shells; phosphex canister shot 270

5 Tyrant Siege Terminators: + 1 Tyrant Siege Master 345
9 Iron Havocs: 5× missile launcher; 4× lascannon; + 1 Iron Havoc Sergeant (artificer armour; lascannon; augury scanner; melta bombs) 430
Whirlwind Scorpius 115
Artillery Tank Squadron
Medusa 155
Medusa 155

The Primarch Perturabo: Forgebreaker; Rite of War (The Hammer of Olympia) 490

2.982 points

Would this be considered a dicklist?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

DJ Dizzy posted:

Siege Breaker in Terminator armour: 3× phosphex bomb; combi-weapon; chainfist 182

Apothecarion Detachment
Apothecary 45
3 Quad Launcher Rapier Carriers: shatter shells; phosphex canister shot 270

5 Tyrant Siege Terminators: + 1 Tyrant Siege Master 345
9 Iron Havocs: 5× missile launcher; 4× lascannon; + 1 Iron Havoc Sergeant (artificer armour; lascannon; augury scanner; melta bombs) 430
Whirlwind Scorpius 115
Artillery Tank Squadron
Medusa 155
Medusa 155

The Primarch Perturabo: Forgebreaker; Rite of War (The Hammer of Olympia) 490

2.982 points

Would this be considered a dicklist?

Only 3 quad luanchers, so not that bad. There are people rolling with 9.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
where is the apothecary going?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Havocss.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Has anyone here ordered KRmulticase before in the states? how the hell do i put an order in and get the free or at least cheap shipping? i don't want or need $50 3 day shipping but i only have that and more expensive options.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Am I playing Iron Warriors right if I paint all my Breachers with hazard stripes, send them headlong into death and then frown the whole time?

Because this is what I'm planning to do.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
You need to be claiming Iron Hands rules while doing so.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Practically speaking, breachers are more of a defensive unit. They stand around and die slow which is basically all they're good at.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

BULBASAUR posted:

Practically speaking, breachers are more of a defensive unit. They stand around and die slow which is basically all they're good at.

They do it while looking loving rad though

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Endman posted:

Am I playing Iron Warriors right if I paint all my Breachers with hazard stripes, send them headlong into death and then frown the whole time?

Because this is what I'm planning to do.

If you manage to get an entire squad annihilated by a single weapon perturabo allows faint smiling.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Finally (Dec WD)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Lord Twisted posted:

Finally (Dec WD)

About time. I've been waiting on this to start spending beyond tacticals. :homebrew:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Haha, if you think its coming out in december, you're deluded. FW has already confirmed pre-order date as Feb 4.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's weird that White Dwarf says otherwise. I don't know what their lead time is on those issues, but surely they had enough notice to fix that? Doesn't seem like the Sisters of Silence got their rules either.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

The october WD was written in may, afaik. A WD also got the price for the betrayal at calth set wrong by 20 british funbucks.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 22, 2016

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Marble base update: I ordered the Handley marble base flooring, ran about $10 when you count in shipping.

I'm ok the fence. In some ways it looks more like granite, and if you look very, very closely you can see the color dots showing it's essentially just a print. The lines defining the tiles are sunk in.

I may experiment and try to wash it down. I could just go with a white marble base (it's easier) however I feel white bases are a bit off compared to the usually darker tones of most boards.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

Marble base update: I ordered the Handley marble base flooring, ran about $10 when you count in shipping.

I'm ok the fence. In some ways it looks more like granite, and if you look very, very closely you can see the color dots showing it's essentially just a print. The lines defining the tiles are sunk in.

I may experiment and try to wash it down. I could just go with a white marble base (it's easier) however I feel white bases are a bit off compared to the usually darker tones of most boards.

Posted about this is morning, but apparently I didn't hit send or something.

I've taken a couple pictures of the nicer marble samples at work, and using those and the internet, I'll see what I can do about replicating the black marble pattern at scale. From what I've been able to gather, black marble is a bit of a combination of very subtle grey marbling with some very stark white crackling.

Here's a picture of a nice slab of honed black marble off the internet (a lot of the 'black marble' isn't actually marble, though it can look similar.) In polished samples, the entire black/grey area becomes a little less sharply differentiated.

http://www.egmcorp.com/marble/black-st-laurent

Do you have any pictures of what you've been trying to emulate, or any failed attempts(and what you didn't like about them)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I do! Have had this saved for a while.

Pretty much black marble with jade veins. Some of them would highlight with white, but the green is just subtle enough to keep them being Christmas sorcerers.