Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

StashAugustine posted:

Show him a copy of Korsun Pocket sometime

And to actually engages the Germans did come close to Moscow but that would end up with Stalingrad with subways and theres no guarantee that would even end the war

I think the best argument I can come up with that counts towards the Germans is that Moscow was a central transportation hub. However, that doesn't really stop supplies from the Urals from reaching other destinations. Certainly, it'd be a blow to morale/prestige as losing your capital city would do, but, as with anything that is pure speculation, the farther you take it, the gayer your black Hitler becomes...

Does he cite any counter-examples of research that "proves you wrong"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Wehraboos seem to think there's a button in the basement of the Kremlin that will make the Red Army stop wanting to kill Germans.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Polikarpov posted:

Wehraboos seem to think there's a button in the basement of the Kremlin that will make the Red Army stop wanting to kill Germans.

Prove that there isn't :smuggo:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Does he cite any counter-examples of research that "proves you wrong"?

Nope.

quote:

Answer to the second question: I already did, by correcting your "corrections" in great detail. See my post posted May 26, 2016 01:39 AM.

Which I had already responded to twice over.

I'm pretty sure I posted it before but this is what he claims refuted me:

quote:

Salazar, I have to dispute most of your claimed facts. First of all, I did say Germany was more powerful than any one other nation. Your statement that England and France combined had "more resources, population, GDP, and industrial capacity" only agreed with my statement.

Yes, Germany annexed Austria and some other territories, but that is not the only reason they quickly built themselves up into a military power great enough to challenge the other nations of Europe.

You are quite mistaken in your denial that the Germans could have won WWII. Some military historians who knew what they were talking about have said that the British air force was "on the ropes," and have estimated that if the Luftwaffe had continued their bombardment of British air power only a few more DAYS, Britain would have been unable to oppose a German invasion.

Many military experts have also observed that the Allies were on the verge of defeat, and would have been (after all France had fallen, Poland and the Balkans had fallen, Scandinavia had fallen, all that was left was Britain) if Hitler had not decided to attack Russia instead of finishing the job in the west.

The misguided "Operation Barbarossa" almost succeeded in defeating Russia--at the peak, German tanks were in sight of the Kremlin in the first Autumn after the invasion of Russia.

Germany squandered at least three opportunities to win the war outright. This gave time for America to enter the war and build up troop strength in Britain capable of launching a counter-offensive, that finally turned the tide.

The only other nation that actually fought with Germany was Italy. No other nation in Europe made any major contribution to the German war effort. Bulgaria may have been counted as an ally, but it contributed only minor military forces, that were all used against Russia. While the USA was building up its forces in Britain--and supplementing the British fleet and air force--the US armored forces led by Patton took on Rommel in northern Africa, bailing out the British mechanized units that had been on the defensive, then moved on to attack Italy.

All military analysts of comparative tanks in WWII regard the German Panzers as being the best tanks, at least in the early part of the war. The Sherman tanks were a later addition, that were only a factor after the USA entered the war. The advanced Russian models were not introduced until late in the Russian campaign. At the start of WWII, Germany had the best tanks. Period. That is one reason why their "Blitzkrieg" tactic was so effective, and blew right through the French lines (surrounding the Maginot line), went all the way to Paris, and later almost made it to the Kremlin. (By the way, I used to play a game by Milton Bradley called "The Russian Campaign," and competed with players all across the country by mail. I was even nationally ranked for a while among the top 50.)

That reminds me of another mistake Hitler made that potentially cost Germany the war--his decision to stop using the "Flieger Corp" because of setbacks when it was poorly used in Crete, to which Hitler over-reacted. Actually it was a very effective tactical element, where paratroops were dropped behind enemy lines to cut supply lines and catch enemy forces in a pincers. On the battlefield, the Flieger Corp added a considerable force multiplier effect.

It is really hard to understand how the Germans could have lost the war--they had so many advantages, so many clear opportunities to have won the war. Many blame misjudgements by Hitler.

Germany did have a project to develop an atomic bomb. They might actually have built an atomic bomb before anyone else, if it were not for the Allied bombing of the German heavy water processing plant, and related research facilities. Germany had scientists capable of building the bomb. Here is what Wickipedia says about the Nazi effort to develop nuclear weapons:

"The German nuclear weapon project (German: Uranprojekt; informally known as the Uranverein; English: Uranium Society or Uranium Club), was a clandestine scientific effort led by Germany to develop and produce nuclear weapons during World War II. This program started in April 1939, just months after the discovery of nuclear fission in December 1938, but ended only months later due to the German invasion of Poland, after many notable physicists were drafted into the Wehrmacht.

"A second effort began under the administrative purview of the Wehrmacht's Heereswaffenamt on 1 September 1939, the day of the Invasion of Poland. The program eventually expanded into three main efforts: the Uranmaschine (nuclear reactor), uranium and heavy water production, and uranium isotope separation." Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nuclear_weapon_project

Of course we also should not forget the German rocket program. They virtually invented the military use of rockets like the V-2. At the end of the war, over 1,500 German scientists were recruited by the Allies, mainly the USA.

Which I had already responded to the contentious bits something like three times and his response is usually to say "I already refuted you, or your response was just so ignorant that it wasn't worth my time."

My core counter argument aside from getting into the logistics of it is simply to point out the absurdity of letting the Germans off scott free without making any mistakes without making any sort of allowances for the Allies.

He just repeats himself, makes the same assertions, but occasionally he brings up something I haven't heard of before so I ask here.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I bet all those other Allied Nations like Australia, the USA, Canada, and Brazil were all reaaaaaally close to surrendering to the Germans :downswords:

Ok, lets see what I can claim as false from his examples:

-Germany being "more powerful" than any one other nation doesn't help when you aren't fighting 1 v 1.

-The RAF was in a bad way during the Battle of Britain, but they [the Germans] would've needed to bomb factories more, kill more pilots, while simultaneously losing less planes and pilots.

[Killing off the RAF doesn't do poo poo against the RN though]

-"Many military experts" Who(m)?

-Hitler not attacking Russia doesn't produce a large navy to get them across the Channel

-No Germans ever saw the Kremlin. They got close, however.

-Which three opportunities did Germany have to win the war?

-Only Italy contributed a lot to the Germans? What about Hungary, Finland, Romania, (Czecho)slovakia, the Baltic states?

-Germany had two problems with their early war Panzers. They were either: poo poo, or in low numbers. The Panzer I and Panzer II are absolutely garbage for 1939/40 but the Panzer III and IV are great. They still lack good firepower to take on other comparable tanks like the Somua S35 or Char B1 Bis, though.

-Having good tanks =/= great blitzkrieg. Its much more than JUST tank quality (although it certainly helps)

-Is the "Flieger Corps" mistake a 4th opportunity to win the war? By the by, a Flieger Corp [Actually spelled Corps, and ABSOLUTELY NOT CALLED A FLIEGERKORPS YOU loving DUNCE] would just be called Fallschirmjager Division. And it wasn't their poor use in Crete that sealed their fate, it was the loss of many vital aircraft in that and other operations, plus the general attrition/loss of supply aircraft throughout the war.

-Please list all the ways/times Germany could have won the war that require changing less than 2 major things.

-No, I don't think the Germans could've developed nukes before anyone else.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 19, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That whole screed is unduly hard on the Hungarians. Just like everything else.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well yeah the Hungarian s weren't good fighters, they were too infected by Jewish defeatism because Horthy didn't hand over the Jews to the SS :nazisay:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
He responds!

quote:

One last time, because it is so obvious. Raenir, can you answer the questions WHY the Germans "were screwed" and exactly what caused the "catastrophe waiting above their heads"?*

What if Hitler had continued the air attack against the Royal Air Force for another couple of weeks?

What if Hitler had continued to use the Fliegerkorps against the Allies after the one bad experience in the Mediterranean, and perhaps had landed paratroops in England--perhaps following it up with their planned "Operation Sea Lion"?

What if Hitler had had better sense when he decided to launch Operation Barbarossa, and included cold weather clothing and supplies with his troops?

What if Japan had not bombed Pearl Harbor when it did, or at least waited a year, or even a few months--so the USA would not have entered the war as soon as it did?

Are you capable of understanding how to evaluate such hypothetical situations honestly, and what they really mean? Yes, the Germans lost because they screwed themselves (mainly Hitler did), but if they had not screwed themselves, they would have won. Right? Do you get it?

*Language I used mainly to describe their dysfunction and how bad things were.

Oh my, I have to post this:

quote:

By the way, Raenir, one more thing. You brought up Augustine** in one of your snarky remarks. Apparently you think I should regard him as a spiritual authority. As a Protestant*** who knows church history, I am not high in my regard for Augustine, and do not believe he should be called a saint. It was his idea of the Roman church being obliged to use force to compel acceptance of its authority and teachings, as set forth in his book, The City of God, which Protestant scholars credit with being primarily responsible for the creation of the Inquisition. So well-meaning as Augustine might have been, he helped create one of the greatest evils in human history. Millions of martyrs were killed because of him--most of them because they believed in sound Biblical teachings that happened to contradict the pagan corruptions that had come into the Roman church; and the Protestant Reformation and long-lasting wars in Europe were required to break the persecuting power the Papacy had grown into, which resulted from his doctrine.

** I found the quote where he's (St. Augustine) telling other Christians to knock it off with the exact kind of thing Ron is doing because it makes all Christians look like fools in front of the heathens.

***Seventh Day Adventist.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
-Attacking the RAF for more weeks doesn't solve:

-Lack of aircraft range/coverage over Britain
-The Royal Navy
-Shipping men and materiel across the Channel

-He did keep using them after "one bad experience in the Mediterranean", paratroopers alone don't swing a war. See: Operation Market Garden

-Does not solve the lack of trains, railways, roads, and transportation routes in general to move said supplies and Winter Clothing, which they had already.

-Japan bombing Pearl Harbor was dumb, but this doesn't change the fact that Germany was still screwed. If anything, USA not officially joining the war until later simply delays the end, as they were perfectly willing to Lend-Lease a lot of materiel.

It takes a lot of "What Ifs" to make Germany absolutely 100% guaranteed to win World War 2.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

quote:

A classic example of German inefficiency in tank production is the Nibelungenwerke in Austria, which was built from scratch between 1939–41 at the cost of RM 65.7 million and was intended to produce 150 Pz IV tanks per month in 1942. However, just as the plant was reaching initial operational capability (IOC) in January 1942, the OKH decided to escalate the long-dormant heavy tank program. The Nibelungenwerke was directed to work with Porsche in developing and building his VK 4501( P) Tiger prototype, while Henschel built its own VK 4501 (H) project. Despite the fact that Porsche’s design was plagued with technical problems, the Nazi hierarchy ensured that it was assigned higher priority than Pz IV production and the two largest workshops at the Nibelungenwerke were given over to Dr Porsche’s project. Enter Karl Otto Saur, Speer’s deputy in the Reichsminister für Bewaffnung und Munition. Saur was also an ardent Nazi and issued orders to both Henschel and Porsche that they would complete their prototypes for the Tiger competition by Hitler’s birthday on 20 April 1942. Remarkably, the Nibelungenwerke was able to meet this arbitrary schedule and assemble a single VK 4501( P) prototype, but this came at the cost of restricting Pz IV production to just 2–8 tanks per month for the first five months of the year. Adding insult to injury, Speer recognized that the VK 4501( P) prototype was technically unreliable and terminated the programme, awarding the production contract for the Tiger to Henschel instead. However, Porsche continued to be one of Hitler’s favourites, so he was handed a consolation prize: the Nibelungenwerke would build 90 VK 4501( P) hulls, which Porsche would convert into an as-yet-undesigned Ferdinand heavy tank destroyer. Just as the Nibelungenwerke was ramping up to build 32 Pz IV tanks in November 1942, the staff were informed that the Ferdinand now had top priority and assembly had to be completed by April 1943. Half the workspace of Workshop VII, intended for Pz IV assembly, was handed over to Porsche for his Ferdinand project. Consequently, thanks to Porsche and Saur’s Nazi cronyism, the Nibelungenwerke only built the miniscule total of 186 Pz IV tanks during 1942 instead of the 1,800 planned. The Ferdinand programme prevented any significant increase in Pz IV production for months and it was not until June 1943 that the Nibelungenwerke was able to raise its monthly output to 120 Pz IV Ausf H. Since the Nibelungenwerke was also responsible for producing spare road wheels for the Pz IV, this output was also significantly impaired until spring 1943. Stalin never tolerated this kind of disruption of critical war production, but it was commonplace in the Third Reich.

I found a pretty amazing quote in Forcyzk's Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1943-1945: Red Steamroller.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It takes a lot of "What Ifs" to make Germany absolutely 100% guaranteed to win World War 2.

That is shifting goalposts a little but good points. There's also the perennial 'gay black Hitler' argument- a Hitler who was rational enough to keep winter supplies with his troops may have been a Hitler rational enough to not invade Russia in the first place.

David Stahel, 'Operation Typhoon: Hitler's March on Moscow, October 1941' posted:

While Bock's troops did their best to provide for themselves, there were almost two million men in Army Group Center on 2 October (and over a million more in the remainder of the Ostheer) and there was simply no way of adaquately equipping them all in time for winter. The army command had prioritized fuel and armamant shipments over bulky winter clothing. The idea was to end the war in the east in one final all-out effort, and no resource was to be spared in pursuit of that goal. Requests for winter clothing were not only refused but, according to Guderian, the subordinate armies 'were instructed not to make further unneccessary requests of that type.' The idea that precious transport capacity be reserved for winter clothing was seen within the high vommand almost as an admission of defeat and a resignation that a winter campain had become unavoidable. The result was a steadfast refusal to acknowledge the scale of the problem or to do anything substantive about it...
Not only did the German high command refuse to take steps which actively assisted their troops, they even took steps that worsened their plight. At Riga, thousands of Jewish laborers were employed, some directly under Army Group North's command, tailoring captured sheepskins into articles of clothing for the troops. They produced ear-protectors, fur caps, waistcoats and more. This, however, did not save them. At the end of November 1941 the entire workforce was shot 'in accordance with the Fuhrer's orders' when the Riga ghetto was liquidated.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

It's easy to forget that Barbarossa wasn't about pushing the magic button in Stalin's office but rather destroying the Red Army in order to cause the collapse of the Soviet state. One kick, rotten edifice, etc. This mistaken expectation of a swift political victory drove the flawed decision making around Barbarossa.

Underestimating the size of Soviet reserves and the rate at which they could be called up didn't help either.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 19, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

StashAugustine posted:

That is shifting goalposts a little but good points. There's also the perennial 'gay black Hitler' argument- a Hitler who was rational enough to keep winter supplies with his troops may have been a Hitler rational enough to not invade Russia in the first place.

Well he does say that if the Germans hadn't screwed themselves, but there's a big difference between screwing yourself (your example/quote on winter clothing) and outright changing entire outcomes (Axis wins North Africa, for example)

In any case, I was pondering a dumb question after that reply.

What if the Italians had had 3 "Modern" aka ~1940ish Aircraft Carriers with full aircraft compliment and good pilots to go with them (sorta kinda Italian Kiddo Budday). I bet they would've still sucked in the Med.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What if the Italians had had 3 "Modern" aka ~1940ish Aircraft Carriers with full aircraft compliment and good pilots to go with them (sorta kinda Italian Kiddo Budday). I bet they would've still sucked in the Med.

I think Taranto still happens because it would've been too much of a risk to actually use them in combat!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think Taranto still happens because it would've been too much of a risk to actually use them in combat!

Taranto still happens but in alternate reverse Pearl Harbor the Italian carriers were on exercise outside Naples :v:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The carriers tool around, get sunk by a plucky British submarine, which in turn gets sunk by a biplane with depth charges, concurrent with torpedo rating's untimely bathroom break.

Alternatively: The war starts, the Regia Marina asks where all its tankers are, and the Royal Navy answers back that half of them will be interned in British ports. The planes and carriers don't move an inch.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In any case, I was pondering a dumb question after that reply.

Probably nothing, carriers were not exactly A Big Thing in the Med, given that you're never terribly far from land-based air. However, giving the Italians even 70 or 80 proper naval aircraft with proper doctrine, pilots, and command and control is getting into Gay Black Benito territory.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Raenir Salazar posted:

I decided to just go ahead and post Disinterested's and Bobo-Fett's posts (Don't worry I credited you guys), and by the way apparently David Stahel is a liberal?

Because whelp!
haha, it's funny because these people are going to rule us soon

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

If Queen Anne of Denmark can have a black attendant in 1617 Tilly can have a black soldier in 16fuckety-five or whenever imo.

Ahem, you meen Queen-Consort of Scotland - No GERMAN would be the queen of Denmark :downs:

HEY GAL posted:

to my mind, that's tied between two attempts by Anglos to invade their Hispanic neighbors to the southwest, by which of course i mean Bay of Pigs and this goddamn thing

quote:

A wave of drunkenness ensued, with few or none of Cecil's force remaining sober.

Let's just cut the effort:

Ask Us About Military History: A wave of drunkenness ensued

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Raenir Salazar posted:

To be specific, its usually the argument that it was the "nasty Russian winter" that saved the Soviets and that this was somehow Hitler's fault. Did the Germans deliberately choose not to supply the forces invading the Soviet Union with winter uniforms? Was it actually the case that they couldn't?

The nazis hosed up and didn't send winter uniforms which didn't help, but there's no reason to believe they'll remember to send those if they attack earlier (they're expecting another france, so this is even less reason to send them).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

quote:

do you deny that Germany easily and swiftly conquered Poland, then conquered the vaunted French army, and drove the British Expeditionary Force clear off the continent--and would have wiped them all out if not for the miraculous/heroic Dunkirk evacuation? Do you deny that at that point Germany, with its weaker Italian ally, had virtually unchallenged dominion of Europe? (They did not conquer Switzerland or Spain because they did not need to.) German defenders were so well dug in, that when the D-Day invasion of Normandy was launched, one source I read said that only three men survived the first wave landing at the section of the Normandy coast the Allies designated as "Utah Beach." And that invasion might not have succeeded were it not that two Panzer divisions had been diverted to ward against an invasion at Calais, due to Allied deception that it might attack there. Had those two Panzer divisions been backing up the dug-in defenders at Normandy, the Allied invasion probably would not have succeeded in establishing a beachhead.

Let me add this objection: When I challenged you to provide your arguments for your ridiculous claim that the Germans could not have won WWII, I meant for you to provide succinct statements IN YOUR OWN WORDS, not quote paragraph after paragraph from one incompetent would-be scholar who obviously did not know how to draw valid conclusions about the evidence he was looking at, and seems to have been motivated by a desire to make a name for himself by being an iconoclast. If you had any competent professors, they would have taught you that unless you can express a subject IN YOUR OWN WORDS, then you do not understand it well enough to discuss it.

You are the one who chose to attack me for innocently stating what virtually everyone knows, that Germany did come close to winning WWII, therefore the burden of proof is on you.

And by the way, I take great exception to your blatant lying about my response to your stupidity, and about your projection of your own dishonest behavior onto me.

This is exhausting.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

I decided to just go ahead and post Disinterested's and Bobo-Fett's posts (Don't worry I credited you guys), and by the way apparently David Stahel is a liberal?

I really liked this part of that quote:

quote:

The authors whom you quote were just the kind of liberal scholar wannabes who try to make a name for themselves by seizing on any excuse to go against the established wisdom.

Because established wisdom is so reliable these days... anyway

Nebakenezzer posted:

I don't know about everybody else here but for me this post requires a little explaining

It's called The Attackers... first person you see in in the opening credits is the big tittied Russian woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFHh-TGzWoM

Decent show, they fly LaGGs of some type I think. Depressing but accurate ending. So was there a historical frame work here or did they jumble it all up for the sake of fiction? I tried but failed at figuring out the where and when if the show.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 19, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is exhausting.

Yeah that's how people who're obstinately wrong work. They keep being wrong and daring everyone to correct them, then nit pick endlessly, and eventually you're left exhausted and they consider themselves more right because of it. It's like a defence in depth and their ignorance is all of russia.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The Regia Marina did not need aircraft carriers in the Med.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

One of my cats is named after Lydia Litvyak. I kept trying to put her in a Yakovlev but it was a disaster every time so now she just bounces and mrrrps around the house.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is exhausting.

This is usually the point where I say screw it, point /r/ShitWehraboosSay in their direction, and move on with my life.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

hogmartin posted:

One of my cats is named after Lydia Litvyak. I kept trying to put her in a Yakovlev but it was a disaster every time so now she just bounces and mrrrps around the house.

they also serve who bounce and mrrp

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Crazycryodude posted:

This is usually the point where I say screw it, point /r/ShitWehraboosSay in their direction, and move on with my life.

I'm glad this subreddit exists.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is exhausting.

If Germany were to have "come close to winning WWII" they would have had to have driven a diplomatic wedge between US and Russia to avoid the massive amount of LL aid, prevented Pearl Harbor from dragging the US into the war, defeated the RAF in the BoB, and maintained the momentum of their advance in Russia through Kursk. Instead, they failed to do any of those things and instead chose not to develop any strategic bombing capability (which was used against them to great effect later in the war), chose to simply ignore (rather than court or divert) the massive, un-invaded continental manufacturing power that was the US and instead allowed them to be brought in to aid Soviet and British war efforts, chose to ignore the strategic planning required in executing a global war effort without any plan to support their IJ island empire allies, and lastly failed to heed centuries of historical admonitions against land wars in Asia and instead explicitly operated counter to what would have been the established wisdom at the time dictating a) watch out for the mud b) watch out for the winter c) Russia is a massive country and your supply lines will need to be robust. Germany tried blitzkrieging their way to loving Moscow and ignored those three pieces of historical advice. Consequently, their men got stranded in the middle of winter, cut off from their supply lines, and allowed retreats to turn into disasters when the thaw hit and turned the steppes into mud.

The sheer nerve of trying to claim Germany "almost won" WWII is galling. They were doomed the moment they failed to cut Europe off from being resupplied by the US, which would have needed to be a necessarily diplomatic coup and one completed before anyone started getting concerned about Hitler's "Make Germany Great Again (by annexing neighbors and repudiating Versailles)" plans. Hindsight is 20/20 but even at the time it was evident, given the reality of lend-lease clearly showing what side the US favored, that Britain needed to be walled off as a staging base for eventual US-backed invasion.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I was almost sure there'd be something on archive awareness, but I didn't see anything there, so, anyone know much about Aleksandra Samusenko? Her resume sounds interesting, but it also seems to be really confused on a load of points, including on where she was from or whether or not she was in the spanish civil war, which makes me a little suspect.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Only three guys in the first wave of Utah survived? WTF.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Have you tried listing all dumb poo poo he's posted so far, and then asking him why anybody should accept any of "HIS OWN WORDS" when he's consistently wrong with basic facts?

Taerkar posted:

Only three guys in the first wave of Utah survived? WTF.

He probably means Omaha, but even so, that's probably more like a single unlucky boat than an entire landing zone.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Seriously, if the Germans had the strength to contest Moscow then how the hell do the losses they took in winter happen? They were in worse shape than the Soviets and badly strung out and the losses they took especially in heavy equipment show it.

The Rostov salient didn't form because the Germans didn't want the ground around it, it took the Soviets pushing back against the flank on the Tuzlov. The 56th army didn't manage to cross the Don on 25-26th November because the Germans were strong. Von Rundstedt didn't get removed from command on 1 December over giving von Kliest permission to retreat to the Mius river because he didn't want that land anyway, and his replacement von Reichenau didn't allow von Kleist to bring Panzerarmee 1 back to the Mius because it was good for his career prospects. The 14.Panzer-Division from that formation had only thirteen tanks still operational when the retreat began.

Reinhardt in the Klin bulge was in even worse shape because he attacked until he was virtually out of ammunition and ground to a stop 20-40km from Moscow. By the first week of December, 6.Panzer-Division had effectively 2 percent (a whopping five (5!) tanks) and 25 percent of its infantry. He had 10-12,000 infantry for 100 km of front. This isn't a position for attacking, this isn't even a position for defending if you can consolidate. There's a reason the Soviets were able to counterattack on the south with two armies with only 36 medium howitzers and 50 BM-13s, and barely 100 tanks of which only a third were KV or T-34s but 60,000 men. Same goes for the northern side where Lelyushenko only had 50 tanks, (10 modern) for an attack he was spearheading with the 8th Tank Brigade. His exploitation force was 8,000 cavalry and 30,000 infantry. That tank brigade went on to break through at Zabolote and open a wedge behind Klin by advancing 8 km. The Germans quickly found themselves in a position where they barely got their forces out of a looming encirclement by leaving nearly all their heavy flak and artillery guns behind. They lost 2,500 men, most of the artillery and vehicles from their leg infantry, and all five motorized divisions were rendered combat ineffective, and retreated westward even when not pressed. This is a force retreating in disarray from a breakthrough achieved by a Tank Brigade and a huge number of leg infantry advancing over open terrain in the winter, the thought of how poorly they'd fare in an attack against the same huge number of infantry in a city is laughable.

Guderian's Panzerarmee 2 was smashed so badly that the opposing 10th army was able to advance 30 km in two days, and again had to leave artillery and vehicles behind.

Tikhvin wound up getting resupplied by air for a reason, and similarly it got abandoned and von Arnim retreated to the Volkhov for a reason.

By the end of 1941, the Wehrmacht had lost over 2,600 tanks and assault guns and had another 1,000 non-operational pending repairs. Every single panzer army was defeated in battle in the span of 25 November and 15 December.

You should get Schwerpunkt, it's really good for this sort of thing. I'm just pulling from Striking the Hydra's Head, 25 November-15 December in it.

I love how all the dude has is "everybody knows" when that's just an appeal to his preexisting biases trying to paper over a complete lack of actual sources.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the best chance for Germany to win would have Britain move for peace talks with the Axis powers after France fell. This may be a biased view, but I feel that with Britain out of the war, then coordination between the Soviet Union and the US would have been much more difficult, and the Nazi's would have been able to devote more resources to Barbarossa that could have prevented it from turning into the poo poo show that it did in real life.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hunt11 posted:

I feel like the best chance for Germany to win would have Britain move for peace talks with the Axis powers after France fell. This may be a biased view, but I feel that with Britain out of the war, then coordination between the Soviet Union and the US would have been much more difficult, and the Nazi's would have been able to devote more resources to Barbarossa that could have prevented it from turning into the poo poo show that it did in real life.

Not necessarily, AFAIK there were good contacts between the union and the states.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hunt11 posted:

That invites the GBH question of how post-war relations between the US and USSR would have been with Churchill out of the picture

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hunt11 posted:

They'd have to have stopped the US' movement towards lend-lease and eventual belligerent status well before that. Roosevelt tried to start sending aid when Germany invaded Czechoslovakia and got stopped by Congress, but was able to move back to cash and carry after the invasion of Poland. At that point the US was marginally neutral to the European war but clearly aiding the Allies. Britain wasn't going to move for peace talks after that point unless the US reversed course on aid, and Roosevelt sure as poo poo wasn't going to just back off.

E: there's also a strong sense of history rhyming going on with 1930s isolationist thought and current thought on the way the US engages in foreign war and it's a little unsettling even if I'm probably gaslighting my own drat self on that.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 19, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ah yes war gaming. By that logic, I am better than Napoleon.

I've played every faction to victory in the long campaign in Medieval 2: Total War; that makes me literally the most brilliant medieval general

The time the Moors took over western Europe and made religious tolerance a cornerstone of their empire was pretty cool, let me tell you. Also the Byzantines defeating the Turks and establishing a new Orthodox Rome.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Polikarpov posted:

I found a pretty amazing quote in Forcyzk's Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1943-1945: Red Steamroller.

I'm glad to see that nazi tank and aircraft production are really quite similar

e:

Polikarpov posted:

It's easy to forget that Barbarossa wasn't about pushing the magic button in Stalin's office but rather destroying the Red Army in order to cause the collapse of the Soviet state. One kick, rotten edifice, etc. This mistaken expectation of a swift political victory drove the flawed decision making around Barbarossa.

Underestimating the size of Soviet reserves and the rate at which they could be called up didn't help either.

This is true. The Germans also attempted to do this explicitly as a all-or-nothing attack; they completely tapped out their manpower for Barbarossa.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I really don't feel like the UK could possibly settle with Nazi Germany by the time they controlled France. That's the neighbouring country (natural moat notwithstanding) and any time they allow them to have it is time Germany can spend building ships in their new strategically valuable ports. Permitting a potential belligerent country to remotely challenge the Royal Navy's local superiority would present an existential threat, particularly since they'd be a unified Western Europe.