Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Tae posted:

The open worldness is more like 85% of the game. It's another mistranslation or misunderstanding of Tabata, as he said the "linear" part of the game is endgame stuff.

Someone took notes from the FFXIII autopsy and flipped the open world/linear percentages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly for me, if the rest of the game after the demo is almost completely linear, it’d still be leagues ahead of FFXIII because it gave us time to explore and get attached to the characters at our own pace.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SA seems to be the only place that's somewhat positive about this game. Everywhere else, people are complaining about the world being bland, boring and empty with nothing to do which I find surprising as midwestern dieselpunk isn't an aesthetic I see often in games and I don't think the activites you can do are any more shallow than anything in Skyrim and maybe only slightly below The Witcher 3 and are also complaining about the combat being dumbed down. Which surprised me, as I thought FF XV's combat had a surprising amount of depth given that you have to carefully manage MP as a resource and know where in the environment you'll have the best tactical advantages.

There's a lot of people who really, really, REALLY want this game to fail.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

SA seems to be the only place that's somewhat positive about this game. Everywhere else, people are complaining about the world being bland, boring and empty with nothing to do which I find surprising as midwestern dieselpunk isn't an aesthetic I see often in games and I don't think the activites you can do are any more shallow than anything in Skyrim and maybe only slightly below The Witcher 3 and are also complaining about the combat being dumbed down. Which surprised me, as I thought FF XV's combat had a surprising amount of depth given that you have to carefully manage MP as a resource and know where in the environment you'll have the best tactical advantages.

It's on easy mode, MP is hardly an issue and combat is ridiculously easy at this point. It won't be until we see harder fights and higher difficulties that we'll see the depth of the combat. I love the Judgment demo, and if it keeps up its current quality this might be one of my favourite games of all time, but that's entirely due to the atmosphere of the party, the road trip and camping.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Destroy them or ignore them

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mr. Fortitude posted:

While I had a ton of fun with the demo, I can definitely see people not enjoying it. You can get through pretty much every story critical fight by just holding down circle and maybe pressing triangle to move towards an enemy. Yeah, the harder bosses and hunts need players to pay attention and counter attacks and position yourself and stuff, but the mainline stuff in the demo didn’t need that. Is that because the demo is easier than the regular game? Will it ramp up as the game goes on? Who knows, but I can see players being really turned off by that. Sure, you CAN care about positioning and enemy weaknesses and stuff against regular mobs, but it certainly isn’t needed - and thus a lot of people probably won’t use those tactics.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"easy and no one will go beyond basic mechanics"

So it's a final fantasy game

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Movement on foot is pretty slow and the Regalia is fairly restrictive, but I think the thing about that is that chocobos were locked in the demo and from seeing them in the trailers they probably help. Hell, maybe they're how you're meant to go off road but in the demo you just have to run around the too-big plains, and god help us, deal with ST. (I've never seen a game that was much improved by a "go less slow" meter.)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You don't really have to deal with ST considering you can run at top speed indefinitely if you time your running right.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's 4 hours of gameplay by eurogamer, riding Chocobos level up your riding ability which increases stamina and something else.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Going by Eurogamer you simply rent chocobos starting in Duscae for five days, whistle to get it and it's super neat I want to ride my chocobo all day ♪

e: and in none of the review/media copies of the full finished game have I seen anybody getting a chocobo until Duscae, maybe a later in the game deal? Those fuller-than-ours copies of the game had more life in the area too, no Courl at night at this one spot for example.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 18, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Terper posted:

You don't really have to deal with ST considering you can run at top speed indefinitely if you time your running right.

I never got it to work and it's still not especially fast. I'm just saying if people are saying the demo is too big and empty then that's fair but the demo is conspicuously (i.e. non-working chocobo stations are right there in all the stops) missing an entire mobility option advertised in the game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tae posted:

There's 4 hours of gameplay by eurogamer, riding Chocobos level up your riding ability which increases stamina and something else.

Drift distance hopefully

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's not the area with the most visual pizzazz going on but I enjoy the whole American countryside ran down by war aesthetic. As for the combat it feels like a deal where it's easy to just get through fights but you're going to have more fun trying out all your options even though it may not be necessary and I love to wind down with games like that. And who knows things might and probably will be tougher on higher difficulties and later on in the game.

I'm probably biased because I've never been a huge FF fan so I can't sympathize with the outrage of those for whom the franchise is dear. But at face value XV just feels like a really cool game I can have a good time with to me.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nina posted:

It's not the area with the most visual pizzazz going on but I enjoy the whole American countryside ran down by war aesthetic. As for the combat it feels like a deal where it's easy to just get through fights but you're going to have more fun trying out all your options even though it may not be necessary and I love to wind down with games like that. And who knows things might and probably will be tougher on higher difficulties and later on in the game.

I'm probably biased because I've never been a huge FF fan so I can't sympathize with the outrage of those for whom the franchise is dear. But at face value XV just feels like a really cool game I can have a good time with to me.

As a Final Fantasy fan, I suggest that you should never sympathize with the Final Fantasy fanbase

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Speaking of FF nostalgia, I assume eidolons are going to be a big plot thing, so I thought it was a little odd that Ifrit was the "betrayer god." I thought he was part of the core trio (which 15 seems to be at least somewhat into considering there appears to be no other core magic than Fire/Thunder/Blizzard) and my vague knowledge suggests that eidolons in a special position like that are a little apt to be the weird ones like Leviathan and Bahamut rather than going out of their way to break up an established pattern.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ifrit's been evil before. Confirmed summons have been Shiva, Titan, Ramuh, and Leviathan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_0OCZC8TVY

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
And that's how you know I haven't sat down with an FF since 9.

Frankly, my guess is that he's the only one that isn't a jerk and you have to beat the other five into submission, but that may be a life of Tales talking.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nina posted:

FF fans are salty they haven't gotten a full main series game since 2010, so they're split on this one. Some want it to be more like XIII and they're disappointed (these people are crazy,) some people want to see a trainwreck on the same scale as XIII (these people are nuts,) and some of us just want to have a fun time with a cool video game (hi.)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Then there are the people who are mad that FF hasn’t been a super classic JRPG after FF6 (or FF9/10 depending on who you ask) and while partially justified those people need to stop holding grudges, goddamn.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

2 points shy of being able to carradine myself. is this the last week? was hoping for more colorful outfits or.. anything, really.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Most people I know have written the game off for a multitude of reasons, mostly because "it looks empty and boring," "the cast is not interesting," and/or "what does this game offer that Witcher 3 or Dragon Age: Inquisition didn't?" I remain optimistic that will be good parts of it but I can't really argue against those points. You get a car/airship that plays classic FF tunes? Cool, but that doesn't really make the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
What I really like is that the samurai Daemon uses Zeninage. That's awesome. We saw that in the preview builds months before, but rewatching the footage, it's super cool.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The things that Jeremy Parish said about FFXV on Blood Axe podcast make me believe that I'll love the game but unfortunately a lot of FF15's smart artistic decisions won't go over well with gamers more accustomed to Skyrim. I like the idea of the game being straightforward with no instant travel but I don't expect that to go over well with Skyrim johnnies.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

DoubleCakes posted:

The things that Jeremy Parish said about FFXV on Blood Axe podcast make me believe that I'll love the game but unfortunately a lot of FF15's smart artistic decisions won't go over well with gamers more accustomed to Skyrim. I like the idea of the game being straightforward with no instant travel but I don't expect that to go over well with Skyrim johnnies.

Well you can pay 10gil to skip car trips.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

bloodychill posted:

Most people I know have written the game off for a multitude of reasons, mostly because "it looks empty and boring," "the cast is not interesting," and/or "what does this game offer that Witcher 3 or Dragon Age: Inquisition didn't?" I remain optimistic that will be good parts of it but I can't really argue against those points. You get a car/airship that plays classic FF tunes? Cool, but that doesn't really make the game.

I like what I've seen of the cast so far and the combat (against more difficult enemies) along with enemy design and the final fantasy theme is what sets it apart from witcher 3 and dragon age for me. I'm not sure yet about the empty world part though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Then there are the people who are mad that FF hasn’t been a super classic JRPG after FF6 (or FF9/10 depending on who you ask) and while partially justified those people need to stop holding grudges, goddamn.

those people should play World of Final Fantasy, which is cool and good

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Linnaeus posted:

I like what I've seen of the cast so far and the combat (against more difficult enemies) along with enemy design and the final fantasy theme is what sets it apart from witcher 3 and dragon age for me. I'm not sure yet about the empty world part though.

If you compare it to console Dragon Age it's enough of a different beast for me to find XV more entertaining. But it's much more of an action game

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Like okay yeah, I can maybe see The Witcher 3 offering more than FF XV but Inquisition? Really? The game that wastes 50+ hours of your time with tedious "collect 10 bear asses" quests and the combat isn't really involved enough to make up for it? The people who are viewing FF XV in a negative light compared to Inquisition are batshit crazy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Like okay yeah, I can maybe see The Witcher 3 offering more than FF XV but Inquisition? Really? The game that wastes 50+ hours of your time with tedious "collect 10 bear asses" quests and the combat isn't really involved enough to make up for it? The people who are viewing FF XV in a negative light compared to Inquisition are batshit crazy.

Well 15 isn't really out yet so it's hard to say. A lot of people really liked Inquisition though, dumb bear rear end collecting and all, I'd guess mostly because of the character relationship crap. I personally got bored with it around the 15 hour mark because it somehow got infected with Ubisoft collectathon-itis. I even liked the combat on the highest difficulty but collecting icons gets boring. So at the very least, FF15 doesn't have that problem.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Although Inquisition stripped away some key features building a party with good synergy and controlling everyone directly was fun. I liked most of the characters a lot too. But XV doesn't really go for that tactical CRPG style to begin with so it's not that comparable. Hopefully it'll allow for the game to be more balanced too because Inquisition was really easy to break other than in the true ending expansion and on the highest difficulties

work the balls Sally
Feb 20, 2006
Even as you read this, I'm masturbating to my own post.
gently caress yeah new Final Fantasy game, going to slap my debit card into my console so hard the earth will wobble in it's orbit.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Even though 12 and 13 were disappoint ing for me, I'm still excited for 15 and I'm not going into it with unrealistic expectations. There are few Jrpgs games that have a grand, expensive production. Its gotten to the point where my choices of great Jrpgs has gotten slim. Tales of Zesteria I didn't like, mainly cause the equipment system was way too convoluted for me. All besides FF that's left for me is Persona, and Hyperdimension. (I know its garbage but I like the universe.)

I'm a item hoarder but Ill have no problem lobbing firebombs at goblins and blowing through my magic stock.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Even though 12 and 13 were disappoint ing for me, I'm still excited for 15 and I'm not going into it with unrealistic expectations. There are few Jrpgs games that have a grand, expensive production. Its gotten to the point where my choices of great Jrpgs has gotten slim. Tales of Zesteria I didn't like, mainly cause the equipment system was way too convoluted for me. All besides FF that's left for me is Persona, and Hyperdimension. (I know its garbage but I like the universe.)

I'm a item hoarder but Ill have no problem lobbing firebombs at goblins and blowing through my magic stock.

Get a $20 PSTV if you find one and check out Trails of Cold Steel 1 then the sequel(s) if it feels nice. That revived my love for the genre, it's pure Falcom greatness by the masters. (The reviews are whiny about non-issues, the actual issue that goes ignored is the voice actress of one minor character but it can all be stomached)

e: oh yeah and Atelier Ayesha is my fave of the entire Atelier series, they nailed everything in it, felt nothing from the sequels, framerates are the best in Ayesha PS3 compared to the other Ateliers too, a little lower on PSTV/Vita but still very doable, great music, combat. Pales in comparison to ToCS. Expect 25-35 hours Ayesha and if you do all the missions you are presented with in ToCS, over 60 hours, but without any padding or playtime-lengthening horrors that don't belong.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 19, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

If you have a PS3 or (god forbid) a Vita lying around try Atelier Ayesha

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I actually played through Ayesha and it was ok. Couldn't help but feeling its a game meant for a female audience but that won't stop me from playing a game. (I imagine this applies to most Gust titles.) I can't say I'm a fan of Gust but if their games are on sale I'll bite. JRPGs are my favorite and I'll play any of em despite being sour on it.

I really didn't like Escha and Logy. What broke it for me was I played Ar Nosurge and Escha back to back. In both games some character did the thing where "I wish my boobs were big like hers. Maybe I should drink milk?" :downswords: I ended up just skipping most character conversations since at that point it was all going to be real bad stereotypical garbage.

I have moved on from my Ps3 and don't intend on getting Trails, but if it were ever on a Psn sale for less then 20$ I might consider it. I've never played a Falcom title outside of a few hours into a Ys title. Id like to give them a shot.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

bloodychill posted:

With the level of excitement over other games that turned out to be poo poo earlier this year, I can say with confidence based on these comments that FFXV will turn out to be the best game of all time. Seriously though, it's silly to write a game off simply based on a demo and promotional material. Demos are simply that, demonstrations of the game, but not the real thing. I'm sure that if given the choice the the designers would have preferred a more visually exciting environment with more gameplay options, but on the other hand they need to hold that stuff back for the full game. Of course there is reason to be apprehensive about the state of the game given the length of the development cycle and everything that's changed since Versus XIII was announced, however, I prefer to give it the benefit of the doubt after reading about Tabata's leadership and how they ended up turning things around. I guess it's nice for the naysayers because if the game sucks then they're vindicated, but if it's good then they can go quiet and enjoy the game. I like Final Fantasy and I want the game to be awesome.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I actually played through Ayesha and it was ok. Couldn't help but feeling its a game meant for a female audience but that won't stop me from playing a game. (I imagine this applies to most Gust titles.) I can't say I'm a fan of Gust but if their games are on sale I'll bite. JRPGs are my favorite and I'll play any of em despite being sour on it.

Yeah, the Atelier series is mostly for women. But its still an ok jRPG series that you can break over your knee with crafting if you want.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dunno why that's a "but".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Atelier is fun as heck!!!

• Locked thread