Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Doltos posted:

Pablo becomes the new Ash for next season.

That's a weird way of spelling Kelly you got there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I thought Ruby's going to die because everyone has been started trusting her and seeing her as an ally.
Even in ash's dream.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Whatever the case, I'm glad we're all in agreement that they're aggressively foreshadowing Ruby dying to save the day or something.

Also yeah if anyone will replace Ash as the new Ash it's a safe bet it'd be the one who headbutted a cop and is developing a drinking problem to cope with their lovely hosed up life, not the one whose plot angle is more and more Christ-imagery martyrdom.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Yea I finally caught up so can start reading this thread, love the series and Ash's character cracks me up.

Love the scene where he's singing to himself about saving the world and that it's now time to get the girl.

The little things he does in scenes like putting his hand over puppet ash's mouth when hiding also makes this series great.

I'm hoping everyone apart from Ash gets wiped out and he has to go back in time or even to the frigging future haha

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Capn Beeb posted:

That's a weird way of spelling Kelly you got there

Nah, Kelly is a sidekick. Pablo is going to go through martyrdom and live for some reason because his story arc has been about becoming more assertive.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Pablo's arc has been about becoming a book.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Kelly is already showing Ash like characteristics. She's slightly more level headed but enjoys the carnage a little too much.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Kelly is already showing Ash like characteristics. She's slightly more level headed but enjoys the carnage a little too much.

there's no such thing :colbert:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
In Kelly's words, Pablo is a big pussy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yuuuuuuuup. Plus, he literally called her the daughter he never had. And, we've already seen that Evil has kept Bad Kelly hanging around after she was exorcised. It's just a matter of time before she has to chop her evil clone up. It's practically mandatory at this point.

Angry Lobster posted:

In Kelly's words, Pablo is a big pussy.

A vagina, thank you.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
When did we see about Bad Kelly still being around? I think I missed that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gildiss posted:

Pablo's arc has been about becoming a book.
To be fair, the Necronomicon is a pretty assertive book.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Maybe she's been the Jefe all along!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Pablo is a Brujo, capable of bridging the world of the living and Hell. He is also a powerful vagina.

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

It's just a matter of time before she has to chop her evil clone up. It's practically mandatory at this point.

"Chopping up my evil clone. Maybe someday that'll feel weird."

Just the Two of Us

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RandallODim posted:

When did we see about Bad Kelly still being around? I think I missed that.

I think the poster is referring to Kelly's vision in the first episode this season. I honestly thought it was just the Evil loving around, but they could be right, and that an Evil Kelly spirit is still floating around out there somewhere.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Blazing Ownager posted:

Random question: Is there any reason at all to watch Stan Against Evil or is it literally the blatant rip-off it got marketed as?

Perhaps this can answer your question. Seriously though, it's got some pacing issues and a few solid lines here and there, but overall not the greatest comedy out there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Jorghnassen posted:

Perhaps this can answer your question. Seriously though, it's got some pacing issues and a few solid lines here and there, but overall not the greatest comedy out there.

I think it has been finding its legs. If it focuses less on the carnage aspect and more on Dr. Cox being so totally inconvenienced by this whole thing, it's decent.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's very

Tepid I think is a good word for it.

Like one thing that absolutely always will give Ash VS Evil Dead the edge, to the point where it's not ever fair- it comes from The Evil Dead.

And by that I mean The Evil Dead 1981 the horror film where the only humor was of the blackest, bleakest sort, that was and is genuinely disturbing in between moments of Ash being a dork.

The fact that the tv series has its roots directly in such a good, straight forward and straight up horror film, gives it a literal edge. At any given moment, all of the silliness, all of the bullshit could melt away, and Ash would just be a scared loser in a cabin where all of his friends have died and become horrible demons that taunt and torment him, trying to horribly kill him, all over again. The horror lies just beneath the surface, festering and threatening to consume everything.

Stan Against Evil on the flip side is just what happens when some one only sees Army of Darkness and tries to make something exclusively based on that style. Only blander.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Blazing Ownager posted:

So who here is concerned for the third season given it's under a new show runner?

I mean granted I looked into the guy, and he is really into Evil Dead and has been working with the team on and off for decades, so it's not like I feel it's in bad hands. But I am worried you won't see quite the same level of batshit insanity we've been getting, either.

For those who don't know, the new guy is Mark Verheiden, who wrote for BSG and scripted "New York's Finest," the best episode of Daredevil to date. And yeah, he also really loving loves Evil Dead and has a lot of experience writing for the universe. As far as I'm concerned, they're trading up.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think the poster is referring to Kelly's vision in the first episode this season. I honestly thought it was just the Evil loving around, but they could be right, and that an Evil Kelly spirit is still floating around out there somewhere.

Keep in mind the first appearance of Evil Ash was Evil causing him to jump out of a mirror to gently caress with Ash, ending in him strangling himself---just like the end of Kelly's encounter.

Once Evil gets your scent, being too strong to be corrupted just means it starts getting creative. :getin:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Has Evil ever hosed with anyone as much as Ash before? I know in Army of Darkness they essentially own everything outside of castle range and kill whoever they want, but generally there's never been someone in that universe who keeps stopping Evil over and over again like Ash. Kinda makes me think that there won't be another Ash and Kelly and Pablo will die at some point during the series.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kelly's definitely the one taking after Ash right down to the fact that she's doing this because of the bloody and traumatic slaughter of her family. Kelly's basically the same shocked, trauma victim embracing the carnage and making poor decisions that Ash was 30 years ago. After all, he didn't start the movie franchise as the Ash we know and love. Kelly's well on the path to Ash-hood.

Thematically Pablo's basically following his uncle (or grandfather?)'s path and generally is the more rational of the trio. He's also the only of the three who didn't get started in this because all his friends and family died bloody. He just got into this because of his hero worship of Ash, crush on Kelly, and general sense that he should give a poo poo.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
To be fair, Kelly and Ruby actually accomplished their goal with killing Ruby's kids, while Pablo and Ash made the decision that throwing the Necronomicon into Hell was probably a fine idea and at least would get it out of their hair.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RandallODim posted:

To be fair, Kelly and Ruby actually accomplished their goal with killing Ruby's kids, while Pablo and Ash made the decision that throwing the Necronomicon into Hell was probably a fine idea and at least would get it out of their hair.

Well to be fair the Necronomicon told them that would be a good idea and if you can't trust a sentient book of evil spells bound in human skin then who CAN you trust?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I thought the insane asylum episode was incredible and brilliantly shot, the gore effects were drat disturbing in the way they supported the "waking nightmare" effect of the episode. Especially the scene when the orderlies subdue Ash after he appears to have bashed in the heads of Kelly and Pablo in the hallway.

Really a level of cinematography and effects well above what I'm used to seeing in theater release horror films.

I hope the show can keep this up. I'm glad Bruce Campbell could be part of this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I was particularly impressed with the way that shot the episode. Were they using different lenses on the cameras? Something about the dimensions of the shots was different.

That, and I really enjoyed the way the episode never cut away from Ash's plot. Gave a really different sense of time and progression.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

God loving dammit :(

Poor Pablo and his fish'n'chips!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jerusalem posted:

Well to be fair the Necronomicon told them that would be a good idea and if you can't trust a sentient book of evil spells bound in human skin then who CAN you trust?

I've been torn on how stupid of a move I think that was. I mean, sure, don't trust the evil sentinent book. But what if he's telling the truth? Getting rid of the book for good makes a sort of sense. And the only person you could ask is Ruby who is hardly trustworthy. So you just gotta make a gut call.

Too bad Ash's gut is always wrong.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well gently caress this episode :mad:

Next episode looks to be back at the cabin and I totally expect a time warp season finale

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

DivisionPost posted:

For those who don't know, the new guy is Mark Verheiden, who wrote for BSG and scripted "New York's Finest," the best episode of Daredevil to date. And yeah, he also really loving loves Evil Dead and has a lot of experience writing for the universe. As far as I'm concerned, they're trading up.

He also wrote My Name Is Bruce, which was great. gently caress the haters.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
This show is so good, and this might've been the best episode yet. I can't wait for the last two.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Rappaport posted:

God loving dammit :(

Poor Pablo and his fish'n'chips!

:ohdear:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I KNEW IT

I CALLED IT

At ANY GODDAMN MOMENT everything could get taken from Ash and he'd be back at that loving cabin! Also, I adore the fact that Ash played Baal like a goddamn chump. Eat dicks in hell assface

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
This show is so good it even makes Michelle Hurd a good actress. That's a feat.

Like Pablo said, no way Ash is going to give up on him. But man, poor Pablo.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

oh gently caress pablo, you're okay buddy.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I was so expecting Kelly to lose her hand in the puppet fight.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I liked Pablo's business idea... :(

Anyway, I'm glad that Puppet Ash got the kind of scene he deserved.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bruce Campbell was pretty menacing during the whole "Ashy Slashy" bit.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
It was a good episode for Bruce showing off his non-goofball acting chops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Show is so good.

• Locked thread