Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Iron Rose posted:

I have to admit I have no idea why you even want a bashed patch when manually constructing a merged patch is far superior.

Some people don't have the patience to go through a dozen or two mods worth of leveled lists edits.

Maybe Mator Smash is better, though? It works for Skyrim from what I've heard. ...and nothing else, since Mator decided he was bored with it before fixing the issues for the Fallout games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

is NMM the best choice at the moment for the special edition mods? I had issues with mod organizer 2 unless they've updated it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Making a manual patch is always going to be superior, but it is such a pain in the rear end. Bash and Smash still don't know how to "correctly" handle records in all cases, so sometimes things like object placement or rotation will need to be patched manually.

I usually run a manual patch after my Bashed Patch, 0.esp to clean up any conflicts not resolved by Bash. Works pretty good.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
I finally tried out an ENB and the results were stunning. Now I get why people use these!

I chose this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3352/ -- Realvision Inspired ENB

Here are some pics I took: http://imgur.com/a/6OqDN

I know that the images probably don't reflect exactly what I am seeing, but I did take some screenshots in Falkreath last night and one outside of Solitude. I'm not good at knowing what to concentrate on, but I really am enjoying the ENB. I just installed True Storms (its compatible) and I am really liking the thunderstorms right now. I should also note I use SMIM and Osmodius SSE Texture pack 1.1 (think they are 2k).

If there is anything someone wants to see, just let me know, I can try to get a picture for you. There are some areas that are really bright- think its bloom, so I might play around with that.

Svanja fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 18, 2016

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Hmm, weird. I don't use either of those, so unsure about possible conflicts... all I can suggest is checking that you got the version that includes the leveled lists? Made a bashed patch? Never had any issues, and crossbows were plentiful in the world after installation . Bandits seemed to have a particular fondness for orcish crossbows.

So I moved it up before the Overhaul and viola, crossbows after the proper smithing perk. I did pull PerMa out and put on Sperg though. I forgot how good that perk overhaul is.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Svanja posted:

I finally tried out an ENB and the results were stunning. Now I get why people use these!

I chose this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3352/ -- Realvision Inspired ENB

Here are some pics I took: http://imgur.com/a/6OqDN

I know that the images probably don't reflect exactly what I am seeing, but I did take some screenshots in Falkreath last night and one outside of Solitude. I'm not good at knowing what to concentrate on, but I really am enjoying the ENB. I just installed True Storms (its compatible) and I am really liking the thunderstorms right now. I should also note I use SMIM and Osmodius SSE Texture pack 1.1 (think they are 2k).

If there is anything someone wants to see, just let me know, I can try to get a picture for you. There are some areas that are really bright- think its bloom, so I might play around with that.
Oh yeah that's really bright. Way too bright for me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

lurksion posted:

Oh yeah that's really bright. Way too bright for me.

My screenshots always show brighter out-of-game than what they look like in-game, so it could be a case of just adjusting your brightness to taste.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

If you haven't installed the Bandoliers - Bags and Pouches for Original Skyrim, do it. No more wearing that silly looking backpack.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a simple mod for SE that fixes this nasty mouse stuttering?
I added the mouse acceleration line to my Prefs file and it helps a little. However, past an hour, it'll sometimes lag out by a full second.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Monolith. posted:

If you haven't installed the Bandoliers - Bags and Pouches for Original Skyrim, do it. No more wearing that silly looking backpack.

I dunno. I don't feel like my skyrim needs to look like a Rob Liefeld brainchild.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

No, no, no. You need more pouches to put stuff in.

You could also just console your carryweight into whatever number you want, but that'd be cheating.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I'm having the problem where several light sources in SE, like wall torches, dont give off any lighting. Any ways to fix this?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Cheap Shot posted:

I dunno. I don't feel like my skyrim needs to look like a Rob Liefeld brainchild.

Hell with that. 500 carry weight at the start? Sign me the hell up.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Has anyone had an issue with the SE version of Ordinator where the Smithing perks don't register properly? I can't improve anything above Fine, regardless of how high in the tree I go.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006
Checking here to see if someone can give me some insight on an issue I've run into...

I've a spell that I made and have been using for hundreds of hours without issue. However, in my newest play through for special edition, I noticed that this spell stopped functioning. I know what's causing it, but I can't seem to figure out why.
The spell is a simple speed multiplier, concentration spell. (Peak Value modifier/Speed mult, alteration school, no duration, skill affects magnitude). Huge cost, 180 magnitude and 1 duration, for the spell itself.
This play through I added spell scaling to the novice perk of the magic schools in the perk trees. So, for the "Novice Alteration" perk I added a PerkEntry entry point of modSpellDuration - Multiply 1 + actor value mult - with the school set as Alteration and a value of 0.01. Also, a condition of spell - EPmagic_SpellHasSkill - alteration == 1.
At 100 Alteration, alteration spell duration would be doubled. I did the same for the other schools, but some are magnitude instead of duration.
All spells aside from the above spell seem to be functioning as expected. Once I take that first alteration perk it simply stops working. I can cast it, but the speed increase doesn't happen.
I don't get why that perk entry would gently caress it up.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
What Oblivion spoiled me on that I haven't seen in Skyrim for 5 years are gigantic compilations to download. I haven't played Skyrim in a few years since every time I get the temptation, I want to do the mod install "right" and it's such a pain in the rear end I just go play another game instead.

Unless Skyrim DOES have a massive compilation to download. Does it?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
No, because that would be bypassing the author's personal snowflake page and means they would not get your unique click on that page to fuel their egos.

That is the lesson of the MUGEN age after all.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bell_ posted:

What Oblivion spoiled me on that I haven't seen in Skyrim for 5 years are gigantic compilations to download. I haven't played Skyrim in a few years since every time I get the temptation, I want to do the mod install "right" and it's such a pain in the rear end I just go play another game instead.

The OP posted:

No, there is no one stop mega-modpack that you can just download and install in one shot because reasons. I'll repeat in stronger terms: THERE IS NO ONE STOP MEGA-MODPACK THAT YOU CAN JUST DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL, FORGET ABOUT IT.
Actually there probably are some modpacks floating around on torrent sites and whatnot, but I wouldn't waste time looking for them. They have the same problem all mod packs have is that they tend to include some cool stuf, some okay stuff and then some lovely stuff that you don't want in your game. And remove that lovely stuff tends to require more effort then building your own mod-setup would have taken.

As for doing it "right": There really is no such thing. I suppose you're doing it right if you're having fun and you like the improvement the mods you're using have made to the game. :shrug:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Skyrm modding is fairly easy if you can read and use the tools given to you. Loot helps the load order and Mod Organizer digs down further to warn you of any muck ups. No sarcasm implied above.

Besides find some mods, experiment with them, and you'll ultimately nail down a preferred load order. It sucks sometimes as you'll spend time downloading and redownloading mods if you screw up but it happens.

Smash that download with manager button, check the Files tab to see if there's any compatibility options with other mods, and go hog wild.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

i think the pull of ready modpacks is less about skipping the technical fiddling and more not having to push the brakes on the "BUT IS IT GOOD ENOUGH NOW" part of brain that's responsible for making the modding the actual game

i mean it's a ready pack, someone who knew what they were probably doing looked at it and went "yeah, that's plenty. this is a good state of affairs" and surely i can trust them on that one at least

but as pointed out above, there's always some awful deal-breaking garbage in there that breaks that trust and puts you back in the responsibility seat, so better to just make it a project. GEMS, STEP and the nexus top #something are a pretty baller template to build off of already

scamtank fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 19, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'd say that all of EnaiSiaion's work constitutes a mod pack. The basic gameplay doesn't change, but gets more refined.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Burns posted:

I'm having the problem where several light sources in SE, like wall torches, dont give off any lighting. Any ways to fix this?

Light "sources" in Skyrim are not actually light sources. You have the static mesh/textures, and then you have the light casting dynamic light source. The two CAN be tied together, but it wouldn't give level designers as much control. So virtually every, if not literally every, dynamic light source you see in game was probably hand placed in the Construction Kit.

There are lighting overhauls with philosophies of every mesh-object that SHOULD cast light must have a dynamic light source. Similarly any dynamic light should have an object associate with it to explain that light. Any instances where these do not align means objects/dynamic lights are either deleted or added. The problem is these are notoriously dark and highly incompatible, since they make changes to basically every single cell in the game. ANY mods that change cells, or add cells and do not follow the same illumination philosophy are going to look REALLY strange. As distracting as you find it that one candle in a far corner of a dungeon doesn't have a dynamic light, you're going to find it super distracting when your Breezehome mod makes it look like literally nowhere else in the game.

I just use the Unofficial Patch. It should take care of the most distracting instances, like the braziers outside Whiterun. One had a dynamic light, the other didn't despite two identical objects being right next to eachother. Anything more an you're probably asking for a lot more than you realize, because they necessarily require a complete lighting overhaul.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kiggles posted:

Light "sources" in Skyrim are not actually light sources. You have the static mesh/textures, and then you have the light casting dynamic light source. The two CAN be tied together, but it wouldn't give level designers as much control. So virtually every, if not literally every, dynamic light source you see in game was probably hand placed in the Construction Kit.

There are lighting overhauls with philosophies of every mesh-object that SHOULD cast light must have a dynamic light source. Similarly any dynamic light should have an object associate with it to explain that light. Any instances where these do not align means objects/dynamic lights are either deleted or added. The problem is these are notoriously dark and highly incompatible, since they make changes to basically every single cell in the game. ANY mods that change cells, or add cells and do not follow the same illumination philosophy are going to look REALLY strange. As distracting as you find it that one candle in a far corner of a dungeon doesn't have a dynamic light, you're going to find it super distracting when your Breezehome mod makes it look like literally nowhere else in the game.

I just use the Unofficial Patch. It should take care of the most distracting instances, like the braziers outside Whiterun. One had a dynamic light, the other didn't despite two identical objects being right next to eachother. Anything more an you're probably asking for a lot more than you realize, because they necessarily require a complete lighting overhaul.
There's also a hard limit of (I think?) 4 dynamic light sources at once. If you get more than that, the engine starts turning lights on and off semi-randomly. If you want to see it, find a mod that turns magic spells into dynamic shadow-casting lights and get into a fight with a bunch of mages. Watch lights and shadows go all :catdrugs:

Burns
May 10, 2008

I am thinking its actually a problem with Open Cities.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hah, the old "question", "multi-paragraph answer", "one-line contradictory response" routine. I love it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Open Cities is bad :colbert:

like not in concept, but it's one of those cases where Bethesda made a decision that was, on balance, the correct one

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Any suggestions on an ENB that will play nice with Climates of Tamriel + ELX? Game looks nice already, but I'm looking for just a bit more "oomph" and I know my computer can hack it.
As an aside, I'm playing with Frostfall and Campfire for the first time and I'm kind of blown away by how well integrated and fun-not-brutally-punitive it is. Who knew survival mods could be... good?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Devorum posted:

Has anyone had an issue with the SE version of Ordinator where the Smithing perks don't register properly? I can't improve anything above Fine, regardless of how high in the tree I go.

I had a bug with ordinator where i couldn't smelt orichalcum, there's another smithing mod i had which might be to blame, i'll fiddle with the load order and see if it fixes it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fuligin posted:

Any suggestions on an ENB that will play nice with Climates of Tamriel + ELX? Game looks nice already, but I'm looking for just a bit more "oomph" and I know my computer can hack it.
As an aside, I'm playing with Frostfall and Campfire for the first time and I'm kind of blown away by how well integrated and fun-not-brutally-punitive it is. Who knew survival mods could be... good?

Yep. It makes coming down to the lowlands a sort of release of breath, but the mountains are still there..mocking you ...

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fuligin posted:

Use reshade 3 and tune everything yourself, it's very easy. Just download their exec and point it at Skyrim.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
I have hit a really nasty bug that just spontaneously decided to rear it's head. It affects both Nexus Mod Manager and Mod Organizer, and it makes it so I can't actually install any mods. Any time I try and activate an archive, either manually put into either program or downloaded from Nexus, I get a popup telling me "The execution has failed due to the bug in the SevenZipSharp" and fails to install the mod. I found forum posts mentioning hard drive space issues, but that can't be it because I have nearly 300 gigs of space left on my HD. Anyone have any ideas or have run into this issue at all before?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

So I ran into a real problem with Localized Thieves Guild Jobs. It turns out having USLEEP breaks it, and even disabling the mod will make it so that Delvin doesn't give special quests.

The advice given in the thread on the nexus is reload USLEEP while the game is running after removing the mod, but how do I do this? I'm using MO btw.

EDIT: Googled how to do it myself. Looks like everything's fixed, but IMO Localized Thieves Jobs should be taken off the OP list so people don't have the same problem.

Gyre fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 20, 2016

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Psion posted:

like not in concept, but it's one of those cases where Bethesda made a decision that was, on balance, the correct one

Counterpoint: Open Cities is Good and Cool, and Stable on SSE.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Gyre posted:

So I ran into a real problem with Localized Thieves Guild Jobs. It turns out having USLEEP breaks it, and even disabling the mod will make it so that Delvin doesn't give special quests.

The advice given in the thread on the nexus is reload USLEEP while the game is running after removing the mod, but how do I do this? I'm using MO btw.

EDIT: Googled how to do it myself. Looks like everything's fixed, but IMO Localized Thieves Jobs should be taken off the OP list so people don't have the same problem.

Yeah I posted about this already and suggested people use Taking Care of Business as an alternative. It allows you to do the things that Localized Thieves Guild Job does while offering alternative ways to do parts of the Thieves Guild questline without burning bridges with certain NPCs.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Psion posted:

Reasoning? My understanding is it's a lot better and stable on SSE and with the "AI runs away when bad things happen" mods it functions perfectly?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Compatibility issues with too many other mods. If your modlist is short, go for it, but if you start getting into it, "I think it's a problem with Open Cities" is something you see posted a looooooot. It's not the mod's function at fault, it's what you have to do to the gameworld in exchange. It breaks a lot of assumptions for other modders.

Same thing with Strip Open / Freeside Open in FNV, whatever the Open Fallout 3 was, Oblivion, whatever. Any mod which touches city cells - which is a lot of them - is probably going to puke on open city-style mods.

and i'll take your word on it the SSE version is stable and performs well because that certainly wasn't the case in the good old days of "doesn't know how to address more than 2GB RAM natively" Bethesda era - so yes, cell splitting for stability was the right call on Bethesda's part. If that's different in SSE, that's good.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Open Cities is good. Arthmoor still has his head jammed clear up his rear end in a top hat, and complain about the gates all day, but SSE renders pretty much every other concern about the mod irrelevant. There's not really any reason not to use it, short of compatibility. If there is something else you want over the convenience, then no harm. It will necessarily conflict with a lot of things.

The big deal with Open Cities before was it took a long time for the mod to get up and running, and not too many people would bother running it, given 4GB memory limits. SSE basically launched with Open Cities support, complete with however many years of troubleshooting and updates rolled up on a day 1 release, for a software version that has no particular technical limitations the mod is going to be pushing.

The environment is just completely different on both technical and production levels.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Psion posted:

Same thing with Strip Open / Freeside Open in FNV, whatever the Open Fallout 3 was, Oblivion, whatever. Any mod which touches city cells - which is a lot of them - is probably going to puke on open city-style mods.
Honestly I used a fuckton of mods for Oblivion and still use a fuckton of mods for FO3/F:NV & Skyrim and not a lot of them touch the city cells. And the ones that do either can be made to compatible with the open city style mods or already have compatibility patches provided.

Sure compatiblity is an issue, but that's true for every single mod. If I released a mod that gives Ulfric a mighty beard, it will conflict with the mod that gives him a miniskirt to wear. It's just one things that you have to aware of when modding pretty much any game.
If several of the mods you want to use conflict with Open Cities and there aren't any compatibility patches, then sure Open Cities is probably not good fit for your mod-setup, but that doesn't mean that Open Cities is bad in and of itself.

Psion posted:

and i'll take your word on it the SSE version is stable and performs well because that certainly wasn't the case in the good old days of "doesn't know how to address more than 2GB RAM natively" Bethesda era - so yes, cell splitting for stability was the right call on Bethesda's part. If that's different in SSE, that's good.
Actually it used to be okay performance/stability-wise in OldSkyrim before Patch 1.9 hosed things up. And after that it still works fine with the memory fix.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
so i'm finding since I installed reshade + enb, night is pitch black.. so much so that I'm running around with candlelight in my offhand just to see anything.

is this "My Immersion!!!!!" or is this not hard dark its supposed to be? Dungeons aren't as dark due to light sources but I'm still finding myself hot swapping constantly just to cast it.

Lastly, Does vanilla skyrim give debuffs for food/water/fatigue? I installed iNeed - Food/Water modification and wondering if it actually makes the game more annoying with these things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TipsyMcStagger posted:

so i'm finding since I installed reshade + enb, night is pitch black.. so much so that I'm running around with candlelight in my offhand just to see anything.

is this "My Immersion!!!!!" or is this not hard dark its supposed to be? Dungeons aren't as dark due to light sources but I'm still finding myself hot swapping constantly just to cast it.

Lastly, Does vanilla skyrim give debuffs for food/water/fatigue? I installed iNeed - Food/Water modification and wondering if it actually makes the game more annoying with these things

I love ineed, it makes food meaningful without being annoying.

Also I've been finding Wildcat combat is very good, it makes combat quite dangerous (but also over quickly if you get the drop on the opponent). Matter of taste probably because it uses stuns to take control away from you a lot if you're being hit which I can imagine people really hating, but it makes for some really tense combats rather than just charging in and hammering attack.