Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I wonder, out of the griffins, novas, centurions that I have, which would be best for component shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Artificer posted:

I wonder, out of the griffins, novas, centurions that I have, which would be best for component shooting.

12ersl nova. It's uhmazing

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

veedubfreak posted:

Oh good there is literally no reason to play until the 25th. Excellent event :pgi:

It's really not a hard event. Playing once a day isn't exactly a huge effort, and all of the other poo poo are things you can literally grind while watching TV by just staying next to fatties.

I plan on just being an annoying dick in my LRM hunchback and park next to whatever fatass happens to be nearby.

It also helps that I burned out and haven't touched the game since September or so, so I'm ready to do some more playing.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's really not a hard event. Playing once a day isn't exactly a huge effort, and all of the other poo poo are things you can literally grind while watching TV by just staying next to fatties.

I plan on just being an annoying dick in my LRM hunchback and park next to whatever fatass happens to be nearby.

It also helps that I burned out and haven't touched the game since September or so, so I'm ready to do some more playing.

Gonna be out of state away from my desktop for about a solid week of it though, would be cool if the event would accommodate folks that were actually, you know, visiting family for some portion of the big holiday where folks spend time with their family.

And in general nothing makes me burn out from games faster than 'daily challenge' type events that make the game turn into a job.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
These loving "X/day for Y days" is getting annoying.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yolomon Wayne posted:

e: hope you manage to get in a game every day for 2 weeks straight without missing a single one if you want that Grid Iron, lol.

You can miss up to two, actually.

And for most timezones, you can do two days at once by playing around the daily reset time.

But more importantly, it's not a unique reward that they're giving away, it's a $15 coupon for a hero mech you can buy any time you like. If you don't enjoy daily quick plays, you're not really missing anything by not doing the challenge.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 18, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The new Oxygen Dekel is cool as a background for other symbols:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished some more Warhansa bootleg `Mechs. Here's some basic reviews.

I already talked about the Timberwolf but I'll reiterate: it's stubby and fat and doesn't have a well-defined profile. I don't like it very much.

The Warhawk is fat and bad. We knew that already, but the way the barrels of the PPC are both A) stuck together with no gap and B) lopsided makes it clear that they originally designed the left arm and then just copied the barrels from it to the right. They don't line up quite right so it's weirdly asymmetrical.

The Stormcrow is pretty alright but I feel it's hurt by some of PGI's weirder decisions (loving ugly square lasers and tiny, skinny autocannons).

The Hellbringer is probably the biggest loser of the lot, it's tiny and mediocre. The Iron Winds Metals model is by far the better of the two.

The Ebon Jaguar good. It's got hips like the cool and alien-looking original version used to, so I like it better than the official Iron Winds Metals model. It's still a bit stubby though, I wish the guns were longer and the hips were positioned just a bit further back.

The Warhammer (far right) is actually a very good replacement for the original model. It's got the same cockpit style as the newest designs but it's recognizably a Warhammer. As with all PGI models, I wish it wasn't quite so fat.

Will do a more in depth review in the LP thread.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 18, 2016

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I just love the Warhawk in most Battletech media, but the PGI version is a real disappointment. Kudos to Warhansa for apparently taking the time to remodel the PPCs on it because PGI's look loving awful (ditto the LRM10 that sits where it should on top of the mech instead of below the PPCs) but with that said even though it looks better it still doesn't really do the mech justice. Definitely agree on the square box lasers and wimpy ACs as well.

On the plus side, I think you really knocked it out of the park with the paint jobs. The pattern looks good and is very nicely executed; I like the colours as well.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=476&l=aa87f02411fee08e71fe9d74741738b5c7cf6da9

ALMOST tempted to buy the poo poo fox hero for this.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

I run this with JJs and without AMS and it actually, uh, owns, to the tune of about 400 damage per game average

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

same, but it means giving :pgi: money so no

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

How'd the Night Gyr end up performing?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Oh Snapple! posted:

How'd the Night Gyr end up performing?

top-tier heavy, less mobile than a TW but with a lot more firepower and good mounts

best builds are either dual gauss/one PPC poptart or a baby Kodiak-3 dakkaboat

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The medium/light protection thing is really easy to grind if you outfit a medium with a LRM and another weapon. The coupon Centurion has been working well for me. Just stick near a fatty and shoot at whatever you can reach. I've been averaging 10 a round, and I've gotten a few 25 hit rounds.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's really easy period. We're doing goon drops right now (WHICH YOU SHOULD JOIN CYRANO) and I'm getting 7-10 per round with SRMs.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Commoners I miss playing this with you come back baybee

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I would play but I currently have someone sleeping on my arm

Can I play with one arm I can gnaw it off

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
use your penis as your other limb, you will still be better than 80% of people in tier 2

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Sure it is a free Hero mech but the Grid Iron doesn't even look decent.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

top-tier heavy, less mobile than a TW but with a lot more firepower and good mounts

best builds are either dual gauss/one PPC poptart or a baby Kodiak-3 dakkaboat

This. Night Gyr is a very mean heavy mech.

No it isn't quick but if it's looking at you then it's going to hurt.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Artificer posted:

Sure it is a free Hero mech but the Grid Iron doesn't even look decent.

It's not good, but a Gauss sniper medium is a pretty unique build, and these days I'm more interested in unusual play styles than in simply collecting the best mechs.

I think you really want a Gauss cooldown module for it, though, as the difference between -30℅ and -42℅ cooldown reduction is significant.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
With energy draw dead, what about insta-shot gauss btw?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

With energy draw dead, what about insta-shot gauss btw?

This game needs more gunplay variety, not less.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

On the other hand, different firing profiles are why every mech in the game runs as many of the same sort of weapon as it practically can.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

Instashot Guass might make me use it without accompanying 2x PPC tbh.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

On the other hand, different firing profiles are why every mech in the game runs as many of the same sort of weapon as it practically can.

Boating is bad. Uniform firing profiles wouId be worse.

Better to have game where some mech run all ballistics and some mechs run all energy, than a game where shooting ballistics feels the same as shooting energy.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Instashot Guass might make me use it without accompanying 2x PPC tbh.

No it wouldn't, quite the opposite in fact.

People run Gauss / PPC mixes solely because it's an optimal use of resources (weight and heat), and the awkwardly different firing profiles is something they have to overcome to achieve maximum sniper firepower

Make Gauss instashot and there will be no reason to use them with anything but PPCs (and those builds will get a tremendous buff too).

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 19, 2016

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Make it so sniping begins a self destruct sequence.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

Make it so sniping begins a self destruct sequence.

Being more than 300 meters away from an enemy for 30 seconds bans your account for the rest of the day.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Great Beer posted:

Being more than 300 meters away from an enemy for 30 seconds bans your account for the rest of the day.

I support this change.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

No it wouldn't, quite the opposite in fact.

People run Gauss / PPC mixes solely because it's an optimal use of resources (weight and heat), and the awkwardly different firing profiles is something they have to overcome to achieve maximum sniper firepower

Make Gauss instashot and there will be no reason to use them with anything but PPCs (and those builds will get a tremendous buff too).

If Gauss wouldnt have the windup, id use it way more often since i could fire when i wanted and not 1 second after i wanted it.
Right now you use it for sniping and poking cause you cant risk that facetime with enemies nearby.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Came back after a good year+ break and for some unfathomable reason my Awesomes are working pretty well. Did they beef PPCs a lot or something?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
^^^^
The Awesome received aweomse PPC quirks.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If Gauss wouldnt have the windup, id use it way more often since i could fire when i wanted and not 1 second after i wanted it.
Right now you use it for sniping and poking cause you cant risk that facetime with enemies nearby.

I wouldn't mind the wind-up if the charge could be held for more than 0.5 seconds.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

^^^^

I wouldn't mind the wind-up if the charge could be held for more than 0.5 seconds.

Also if it could only explode when charged.
Its basically wrong on all levels right now.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
lol @ boating is bad as if there aren't a bunch of canon boat builds.

It's the nature of the beast, complaining about it is stupid because in a game that allows customization people are always going to flock to the easiest poo poo.

Also, the gauss charge mechanic is loving dumb and so are you if you think it's somehow a good thing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Rysithusiku posted:

unless you want a free hero hunchie? or 250mc for like a solid day's component hunting.

Apparently I posted that before this weekends event was announced.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Remove the gauss charge, change gauss or ppc velocity so they no longer sync up. If it's still a problem, don't allow gauss to fire within .5 seconds of ppcs and call it capacitor safety limiters or something. Hire me pgi

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Tank Boy Ken posted:

^^^^

It's fun but maybe not as good as like a battlemaster for energy sniping

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Just start throwing in every weapon from lore. All of them. All at once.
Indirect ballistics. Melee weapons. Mines. Medium and AT missiles. Plasma rifles. Melee weapons. Speciality NARC pods. Alternate warheads. Melee weapons.
Just throw everything in together and let the complete and utter mayhem sort itself for 1 month before you start balancing everything.
We'll find a counter for snipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Btw if you fear to struggle with the component achievement, shotgun-bear is your friend.

• Locked thread