Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.
I actually assumed when they carted Daryl off to be a prisoner we literally wouldn't see him all season because he'd negotiated to get a holiday with the producers. I think that would have been better, we need a break from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I really wouldn't write ole' Coral off just yet. We didn't see him after the trucks rolled out from Alexandria, did we? He could have easily jumped into the truck full of machineguns.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

britishbornandbread posted:

Yeah again sorry for enjoying it. If it's any consolation the resolution of Terminus in ONE loving EPISODE was offensively terrible.

You are objectively incorrect since the Carol take-down of Terminus has probably been the best part of this entire series, and the death of the straggling cannibals was very satisfying.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
What episode will the Glenn fake out be revealed?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Steve Shultz posted:

I actually assumed when they carted Daryl off to be a prisoner we literally wouldn't see him all season because he'd negotiated to get a holiday with the producers. I think that would have been better, we need a break from each other.

Daryl's been through a lot (and scarfed down many dogfood sandwiches) in the 3 days since he was taken by Negan.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What episode will the Glenn fake out be revealed?

They're saving it for the mid-halfway-double-90-minute-two-part finale premiere.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ehud posted:

I kind of miss flashback episodes. Maybe we could get one about Negan before the outbreak and it's just about him being the star player for his company softball team and in one of the scenes he's walking to the on deck circle and one of his teammates says, "Negan! Negan! You forgot Lucille." and then he hands Negan his bat and Negan winks at the camera.

Oh god don't give them ideas. You know if AMC thought they could get away with it they'd do a whole season set before the outbreak just to save money on sets and makeup

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

britishbornandbread posted:

I loved the slow burn of Shane turning into a madman. Rick's ongoing helplessness was good, too.

The final fight at the end of S2 was intense.

Yeah again sorry for enjoying it. If it's any consolation the resolution of Terminus in ONE loving EPISODE was offensively terrible.

I think my personal perception of Shane was colored by the circumstances of the time, ie he was operating an a more advanced apocalypse level but came off like an rear end in a top hat in the Pollyanna days of S1 and 2.. I think I'd like to do a rewatch of the early series to see how Shane looks now, knowing what we know about how far the world goes with poo poo like Terminus, The Governor, Negan, etc.

I'd be willing to bet Shane looks a lot better in hindsight.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Binary Logic posted:

Daryl's been through a lot (and scarfed down many dogfood sandwiches) in the 3 days since he was taken by Negan.

He is eating better than most of the surviving population in the apocalypse.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh god don't give them ideas. You know if AMC thought they could get away with it they'd do a whole season set before the outbreak just to save money on sets and makeup
That's what FTWD was supposed to be (or at least the early onset of the outbreak) and look where that went.

...also I kind of really like FTWD even with all of its shittiness.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Binary Logic posted:

That's a good point it is kinda weird that the breaking his spirit thing has only been going on for a few days. I got the impression from the episode that it was a couple of weeks but nope.

Astroman posted:

I think my personal perception of Shane was colored by the circumstances of the time, ie he was operating an a more advanced apocalypse level but came off like an rear end in a top hat in the Pollyanna days of S1 and 2.. I think I'd like to do a rewatch of the early series to see how Shane looks now, knowing what we know about how far the world goes with poo poo like Terminus, The Governor, Negan, etc.

I'd be willing to bet Shane looks a lot better in hindsight.

S2 was a mess, for every time Shane was Smart and Correct they had him do something all dumb and overly emotional. Part of why I liked Abraham was he seemed like a Shane that had managed to get his poo poo together.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Didn't they change the episode order? Like last week was supposed to be episode 2?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Well to be fair Shane did have a lot to be emotional about. There was no way him and Rick being in the same group would have ended any differently, at least while Lori was still alive. He did do some dumb things, but he definitely was correct about the barn zombies being an idiotic decision to keep them around, and was justified in being very angry that Sophia was in there the whole time. I mean, the farm people knew they were looking for a little girl, surely they knew they had one in there.

Anyway I liked season 1 and 2 because it felt more like a zombie show and less like a comic book show. Ever since then it's always Rick vs. The _____, first the Governor then The Termites then The Wolves now The Saviors. There were parts of season 2 that did drag but going back and rewatching it it feels like a breath of fresh air after the last few seasons. I definitely agree it's much better binge-watching through the whole thing, that's how I watched it the first time and would probably feel differently had I had to wait a week in between episodes.

As a final aside, I'd like to just say that the idea of mid-season finales with a break in the season are incredibly annoying and unnecessary and I hate that it seems to be the new "normal" for shows like this.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Vitamin P posted:

It's really weird to me seeing people disliking this season to the point of defending S2.

Yeah I would watch seasons 6-7 ten times over than have to endure season 2 on a weekly basis. Lets be real people the farm was TWDs darkest times. poo poo got so bad I abandoned the show and didn't come back until people swore the quality improved.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Season 2 had Shane killing Otis, the barn zombies getting killed, Shane killing that kid who got impaled on a wrought iron fence, Rick killing Shane. I kinda liked season 2 though i remember at the time hoping they'd move around more or have a destination like season 1. I guess i never understood the utter hatred for it.

:shrug:

Normy posted:

Didn't they change the episode order? Like last week was supposed to be episode 2?

I'm pretty sure thats correct. They changed 2 and 3 so people could have a happier 2nd episode after there was so much backlash about the season premiere.

Luvcow fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 19, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Acacia REI posted:

He is eating better than most of the surviving population in the apocalypse.
Daryl imprisoned in a cell is also more active than most of the surviving population!

Normy posted:

I read it was supposed to be:
1. The Day Will Come When You Won't Be
2. The Cell
3. The Well
4. Service

2 and 3 were switched, probably because the audience needed a break between Glenn & Abraham's bloody demise and Daryl's torture. Doesn't change the chronology though. Negan showed up at Alexandria after 3 days, catching Rick off guard well before the week was up.

In that short span:
-Daryl had been starved to the point that after multiple instances of refusing to eat, he eventually happily wolfed down many dogfood sandwiches
-engaged in multiple conversations with Dwight and Sherry
-During this time Dwight went on a road trip, somehow found his target, shot him, and returned. Put photo of Glenn in cell, causing Daryl to appear to break down. Changed the music from Easy Street to Cryin'.
-Daryl was allowed to 'escape' then badly beaten and returned to the cell
-was taken out of cell, shown an apartment he could have if he capitulated, bent the knee and became subservient
-went to Alexandria with Negan

During that same time period Rick moped around in Alexandria, doing sweet gently caress all.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 19, 2016

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Binary Logic posted:

Daryl imprisoned in a cell is also more active than most of the surviving population!

I read it was supposed to be:
1. The Day Will Come When You Won't Be
2. The Cell
3. The Well
4. Service

2 and 3 were switched, probably because the audience needed a break between Glenn & Abraham's bloody demise and Daryl's torture. Doesn't change the chronology though. Negan showed up at Alexandria after 3 days, catching Rick off guard well before the week was up.

In that short span:
-Daryl had been starved to the point that after multiple instances of refusing to eat, he eventually happily wolfed down many dogfood sandwiches
-engaged in multiple conversations with Dwight and Sherry
-During this time Dwight went on a road trip, somehow found his target, shot him, and returned. Put photo of Glenn in cell, causing Daryl to appear to break down. Changed the music from Easy Street to Cryin'.
-Daryl was allowed to 'escape' then badly beaten and returned to the cell
-was taken out of cell, shown an apartment he could have if he capitulated, bent the knee and became subservient
-went to Alexandria with Negan

During that same time period Rick moped around in Alexandria, doing sweet gently caress all.

He apparently healed from his gunshot wound too, no? They had the one scene where the doctor at Negan's looked at the wound but that was still fairly recently (less than a week?) that he got shot.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Yeah, wait, what the gently caress? All that poo poo that happened to Daryl was only three days? I am blown away by how lovely the writing is if that's actually true.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Season 2 had Shane killing Otis, the barn zombies getting killed, Shane killing that kid who got impaled on a wrought iron fence, Rick killing Shane. I kinda liked season 2 though i remember at the time hoping they'd move around more or have a destination like season 1. I guess i never understood the utter hatred for it.

:shrug:

That's cool it's just for me personally the dip in quality from season 1 and budget cuts made it a bore for me. The tail end of 2 was pretty good and it had its moments, it's just that between that there was so much talking... And talking.. And more talking. They could have concluded the farm by about mid season and moved on but the behind the scenes drama took over the whole show.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

That's cool it's just for me personally the dip in quality from season 1 and budget cuts made it a bore for me. The tail end of 2 was pretty good and it had its moments, it's just that between that there was so much talking... And talking.. And more talking. They could have concluded the farm by about mid season and moved on but the behind the scenes drama took over the whole show.

Oh I'm definitely the odd duck on season 2, it seems the general consensus is it sucked , especially after how good the pilot and the season 1 story arc were

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I miss Shane'a absolute disdain for strategic water management.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Can someone help me remember why the hell Carol wants to run around a zombie wasteland on her own? I really don't understand her motivations at all

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The Archaic posted:

You are objectively incorrect since the Carol take-down of Terminus has probably been the best part of this entire series, and the death of the straggling cannibals was very satisfying.

I think the ending of the Terminus storyline was the last time this show was good. Some of the Alexandria stuff was cool with the group becoming villains but that all got thrown out pretty quickly.

Re Shane: The most tame of the main characters now are so pschycotic that they make Shane look Mr. Rogers.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Yeah, wait, what the gently caress? All that poo poo that happened to Daryl was only three days? I am blown away by how lovely the writing is if that's actually true.

holy poo poo I didn't figure that out either, this really is a horrible show

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Finally got around to watching this episode. Negan is great, but is already getting repetitive. How many awkward close ups do we need of him getting in Rick's face to know he is scary? I actually laughed out loud - in a good way - at JDMs delivery a couple times. I don't know the last time I honestly enjoyed TWD like that, even if it was simply three seconds of dialogue.

That being said, there was really just enough content there for maybe a 30 minute time slot, much less 60, much less 90. TWD goes for slow burn, but only gets the first part down, time after time after time. Like, gently caress, they gave us like 4 different close ups of Rick's hand squeezing the bat.

Episodes are tedious and poorly written. If Morse code eyes are a thing... gently caress.

Also, this show had me twig - why didn't Rick stab Shane in the brain at the time? Because that way they couldn't have the "Coral aiming at Rick" and "we're all infected" scenes. Which is to say, lazy, selective, ham-dusted writing. Which is to say TWD.

Which is to say, see you Sunday!!!

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Enderzero posted:

I miss Shane'a absolute disdain for strategic water management.

This, and the thread running it into the ground, was the only thing I enjoyed about season two.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Not that it's any excuse, but the whole point of sensory deprivation torture is that the victim has no idea how long they've been imprisoned. The annoying songs they play they play at random times, the cell has no sunlight and they're fed at random times. Three days could feel like a week or more.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Luvcow posted:

Oh I'm definitely the odd duck on season 2, it seems the general consensus is it sucked , especially after how good the pilot and the season 1 story arc were

I'm glad someone enjoyed it. Also it was last season of Shane so it had that going for it. Speaking of blasts from the past, anybody else think that Merle would have fitted right in with The Saviors? Didn't seem like a Wolves kind of guy nor the cannibal type. Seemed like the kind of guy that would enjoy taking other peoples poo poo and burning it to the ground.

Stickarts posted:

Which is to say, see you Sunday!!!

poo poo..If people were able to watch Dexter till it concluded I'm pretty sure the sunk cost fallacy applies to TWD no matter how nonsensical it gets. As long as it's entertaining but I'm wary this season is going to be a shitload of Rick feeling sorry for himself which is not what we want to see.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
At least Dexter aired along side Breaking Bad, so it was still fun to watch, just to compare how absolutely abysmal of a turn Dexter had taken.

My favorite thing was the Dexter subreddit pretending their own series finale didn't happen and instead hosting a discussion post for Breaking Bad's series finale, which aired at the exact same time.

TWD has neither of those things; the die hard fans praise the show no matter what.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I'm glad someone enjoyed it. Also it was last season of Shane so it had that going for it. Speaking of blasts from the past, anybody else think that Merle would have fitted right in with The Saviors? Didn't seem like a Wolves kind of guy nor the cannibal type. Seemed like the kind of guy that would enjoy taking other peoples poo poo and burning it to the ground.

Absolutely this. If not Merle just show us someone like Merle who believes in Negan and has his back when he saunters up armed only with a baseball bat to a heavily armed and walled community. Still waiting to see literally anyone who seems to buy in completely to Negan's rule. We got a small taste of it with the guys who surrounded and beat up Darryl but I want to see more of those people.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

Can someone help me remember why the hell Carol wants to run around a zombie wasteland on her own? I really don't understand her motivations at all

Glad I'm not the only one bumpuzzled by this.

Carol wanted to go off by herself and die.
Then she got shot and was going to die but Morgan rescued her and she was going to live in the Kingdom.
Then decided she was going to leave the Kingdom and die.
Now decided to sort of leave the Kingdom but stay close, and maybe live for a while.

Does anyone have better synopsis and explanation for Carol's current motivations / state of mind?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It seems like they don't know what the hell they want Carol to be. Ever since Terminus she's been one of the most annoying characters. Either be the badass look at the flowers lady or be the frail "i can't take this anymore" broken person, just make up your drat mind.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Binary Logic posted:

Then she got shot and was going to die but Morgan rescued her and she was going to live in the Kingdom.
Now decided to sort of leave the Kingdom but stay close, and maybe live for a while.

Does anyone have better synopsis and explanation for Carol's current motivations / state of mind?

Pretty sure you just plagiarised Carol's storyboard from TWD writers' HQ.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Logic posted:

Basically she doesn't want to be crazy murder Carol, but she recognizes that in order to stay alive and keep her friends safe, she needs to be crazy murder carol. Therefore, the only way to not be the person she doesn't want to be, she has to cut herself from others and go off to die alone. But she also naturally wants to stay alive and keep connecting with others.

So that's her deal, she's vacillating between her desire to survive and her desire to not be the person she has to be to survive.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

Not that it's any excuse, but the whole point of sensory deprivation torture is that the victim has no idea how long they've been imprisoned. The annoying songs they play they play at random times, the cell has no sunlight and they're fed at random times. Three days could feel like a week or more.

True, but those guys at Guantanamo used to get this poo poo for weeks at a time. And I don't know if I'd be eating dog food after three days if I was determined to fast as passive resistance. I mean... Daryl is a tough guy, right? I admit I didn't even think about it because it just felt like maybe a couple of weeks at least.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I really don't think the group that fetishizes their leader's habit of beating people to a bloody pulp with a baseball bat would be all that concerned about one of their prisoners going on a hunger strike.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Wafflecopper posted:

I really don't think the group that fetishizes their leader's habit of beating people to a bloody pulp with a baseball bat would be all that concerned about one of their prisoners going on a hunger strike.

Which doesn't change the fact that breaking down less than 3 days into your hunger strike seems a pretty poor showing for Daryl.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MeLKoR posted:

Which doesn't change the fact that breaking down less than 3 days into your hunger strike seems a pretty poor showing for Daryl.

If Negan showed up at Alexandria 3 days after he took Daryl, Daryl broke down a hell of a lot faster than three days. Dude lasted like, 12 hours before he started eating dog food.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

If Negan showed up at Alexandria 3 days after he took Daryl, Daryl broke down a hell of a lot faster than three days. Dude lasted like, 12 hours before he started eating dog food.

They found his one weakness, meth-head spam.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You guys are making a lot of assumptions here, like that they'd have to "make" Darryl eat dog food. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Basically she doesn't want to be crazy murder Carol, but she recognizes that in order to stay alive and keep her friends safe, she needs to be crazy murder carol. Therefore, the only way to not be the person she doesn't want to be, she has to cut herself from others and go off to die alone. But she also naturally wants to stay alive and keep connecting with others.

So that's her deal, she's vacillating between her desire to survive and her desire to not be the person she has to be to survive.

Ohh okay. I guess I knew that, but kinda forgot. I don't think they've done a good job at making her decision making sympathetic at all. She doesn't wanna be a murderer, but who the gently caress does? How is being alone going to atone you for your nastiness?

I think she wants to die and if the show had any balls, that's exactly what'd happen right away.