Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am still not 65 or anywhere near done with my alliance character to even think about finishing it by the 29th.

Whats the fastest to level Imperial character if I tack on a bunch of the XP bonus things and whatever armor I may be getting from DvL like stage 2.

I fail at MMO's, because as an adult, time is at a freaking premium. :negative:

Does the 200% XP bonus thing end on the 29th as well? If that happens then I will probably give the game up totally once again even before my sub expires because I just don't have time to grind old school MMO style, like, ever it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

EdEddnEddy posted:

Does the 200% XP bonus thing end on the 29th as well? If that happens then I will probably give the game up totally once again even before my sub expires because I just don't have time to grind old school MMO style, like, ever it seems.

Calm down. Even without double XP, it is incredibly easy to level quickly. You won't have to grind.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You can easily get to 65 in 10-12 hours right now. Starter planet, intro to PvP, capital world, Heroics. I've hit 65 in 6 hours.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

EdEddnEddy posted:

I am still not 65 or anywhere near done with my alliance character to even think about finishing it by the 29th.

Whats the fastest to level Imperial character if I tack on a bunch of the XP bonus things and whatever armor I may be getting from DvL like stage 2.

I fail at MMO's, because as an adult, time is at a freaking premium. :negative:

I dunno, I started an SI two nights ago and am already like 42 and only on Balmorra. I did this:

Starter planet (class quest only)
Black Talon
Crafting intro poo poo in Fleet
PvP intro poo poo in Fleet
DK with only the class quests (was like 28 by this point)
Grabbed every Balmorra Heroic, did them in tandem with the Class quests for fast teleports to the correct areas

On the side I ended up doing Athiss, as well, and I passively queue for all the other FPs needed because why not. I should probably queue for only the ones you can't do in Solo mode, but I don't know which ones those are.

Total time played for all this is like... maybe 5 hours total?

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Fuzz posted:

I should probably queue for only the ones you can't do in Solo mode, but I don't know which ones those are.

Solo mode:

On fleet:
Black Talon
Esseles
Boarding Party
Taral V
The Foundry
Maelstrom Prison

Ilum story:
Battle of Ilum
The False Emperor

Revan story:
Assault on Tython
Korriban Incursion
Manaan Research Facility
Legacy of the Rakata
Blood Hunt
Battle of Rishi

These all have quests for them, you either get them from playing story quests or the NPCs on the fleet have purple quest icons and should say the FP when you hover over them. There's bound to be a guide if you Google it, but it's easy enough to just stumble upon them while playing.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

A group of two players and two companions is ideal for running tactical flashpoints, if you can handle running to the instance portals.

You also get significantly more XP and money for running heroics in a group. The fastest way to level is to have a friend!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
OK, pick up groups are just not cutting it, can I interest ANYBODY into helping me finish HM Lost Island and Czerka Corporate Lab? The only two loving HM flashpoints I have left and nobody can bother focusing on what I tell them strategy-wise :argh:. I'm available this weekend and pretty much any evening next week, so drat sick of being this close to done.

EDIT: In the interest of making sure folks are informed: Lost Island and Czerka Corporate Labs.

MadDogMike fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 18, 2016

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Nerd Of Prey posted:

A group of two players and two companions is ideal for running tactical flashpoints, if you can handle running to the instance portals.

You also get significantly more XP and money for running heroics in a group. The fastest way to level is to have a friend!

From my experience, going the two player route works rather well save for some situational spots like that one junction before the glass corridor in Hammer Station. But even with things like that, it's doable with some strategy and reading up on a particular boss fight or two.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Directive 7 also has a solo mode (on fleet)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wow you guys weren't kidding about how easy it is to hit rank 5 valor, only took three BGs. I still hate pvp, but at least it's over. There's about Seven tactical fps and six chapters of kotfe left and I'll be done with what I want to do in DvL.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MadDogMike posted:

OK, pick up groups are just not cutting it, can I interest ANYBODY into helping me finish HM Lost Island and Czerka Corporate Lab? The only two loving HM flashpoints I have left and nobody can bother focusing on what I tell them strategy-wise :argh:. I'm available this weekend and pretty much any evening next week, so drat sick of being this close to done.

EDIT: In the interest of making sure folks are informed: Lost Island and Czerka Corporate Labs.

I SHOULD be on tonight and will make myself available to assist with Hard Modes. Ideally someone else can tank and heal, because lovely DPS has been an issue with previous runs but I can do whatever role.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I have Methest for healing and in a pinch can swap to Viafax to tank, though most of my assassin tank knowledge is just from reading class guides.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I didn't realise those missions to recruit alliance members featured actual characters.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
I will be here tonight and tomorrow.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm hopping on shortly if anyone wants to duo some tactical FPs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Need a Goon Squad invite for Cirial if someone gets a chance

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

Fuzz posted:

I'm hopping on shortly if anyone wants to duo some tactical FPs.

I need to do the tacts for DvL and will be on. If you don't see a cran imp side, it means I'm on my consular so come get me.

E: That goes for anyone really. I didn't think I'd get as far in the DvL thing and now I want to get that last bit done.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CeeCee posted:

I need to do the tacts for DvL and will be on. If you don't see a cran imp side, it means I'm on my consular so come get me.

E: That goes for anyone really. I didn't think I'd get as far in the DvL thing and now I want to get that last bit done.

People should get on Discord and turn on their notifications, that's the easiest way for us to coordinate since my pub characters are in some pubbie guild because they're active with the stronghold stuff.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CeeCee posted:

When can I start running tacticals? Is it a max level thing?

My Agent is rapidly climbing levels by doing story line quests, the main planetary series (which I have not seen Imp side), and heroics. Should be at 50 by the time I leave Nar Shaddaa

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Bilirubin posted:

When can I start running tacticals? Is it a max level thing?

My Agent is rapidly climbing levels by doing story line quests, the main planetary series (which I have not seen Imp side), and heroics. Should be at 50 by the time I leave Nar Shaddaa

I think they become available at level 15? I just checked a level 17 Imp toon and they are definitely available in the group finder.

Don't expect to be cheered if you join pub tacticals at that level, though. Your character will be level boosted to the appropriate level but you won't have the abilities or perks you need to be really effective for your class.

shadok fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 19, 2016

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
i want to roll a jedi knight, what would be the best dps spec for guardian?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cyron posted:

i want to roll a jedi knight, what would be the best dps spec for guardian?

Vigilance is overall better DPS right now, but it's a tiny margin while you're leveling. The DOTs and spread of DOTs is nice, but most stuff is going to die so quick it really doesn't matter much. Look at the specs and choose which one looks more fun for you. I personally prefer Focus/Rage as it just feels more powerful, and a fully charged Smash/Force Sweep is really fun. Are you going to PvP? Or just play the story? If you're just playing the story play whichever one looks more enjoyable, the margin of difference is so tiny unless you're doing endgame stuff that it really doesn't matter.

Hell, you can even go tank spec in DPS gear and do some serious damage. :)

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Medullah posted:

Vigilance is overall better DPS right now, but it's a tiny margin while you're leveling. The DOTs and spread of DOTs is nice, but most stuff is going to die so quick it really doesn't matter much. Look at the specs and choose which one looks more fun for you. I personally prefer Focus/Rage as it just feels more powerful, and a fully charged Smash/Force Sweep is really fun. Are you going to PvP? Or just play the story? If you're just playing the story play whichever one looks more enjoyable, the margin of difference is so tiny unless you're doing endgame stuff that it really doesn't matter.

Hell, you can even go tank spec in DPS gear and do some serious damage. :)

Focus is way more fun, everything just feels more immediate.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Help me I'm playing this stupid game again

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Could be worse, you could be playing STO

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

StashAugustine posted:

Hahaha this is me.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Same.

At least its not EVE though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

Same.

At least its not EVE though.

I've been playing EVE for 10 years someone shoot me

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Trooper is the best story I've played because it hasn't (yet) pretended to be anything it can't actually accomplish.

You go where you're told, when you're told. Job description and gameplay in lock step.

General Great rear end Garza may struggle to talk with her mouth so full of your dick, but she knows she's the boss

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Trooper act 1 was good and then they just lose all focus

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Act 2 is "recruit these guys" and then "blow something up with these guys". Just salute and keep firing mortars.

It feels like most of the level design was done with Trooper in mind too. The game is 90% long corridors filled with clumps of trash.

I wonder what button I should push...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Plus best companions and best wife and mistress combo.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Trooper act 1 was good and then they just lose all focus

It blows its load too early...the Havoc betrayal should have been the end of Ch 1 instead of 15 minutes in. A little more "How dare you betray the Republic!" and less "Uhh...who are you people?"

Also the ultimate enemy is literally an old man with a blaster pistol.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

It blows its load too early...the Havoc betrayal should have been the end of Ch 1 instead of 15 minutes in. A little more "How dare you betray the Republic!" and less "Uhh...who are you people?"

Also the ultimate enemy is literally an old man with a blaster pistol.

Yeah it's a little lame the couple of times they try to draw a personal connection, but it's never as big a deal as say the Jedi Knight's master's death, when you fall to your knees sobbing over a guy who is never around (even when he dies).

When Dorne asks about it it's not even about you, really, she's dealing with her own defection issues and seeking reassurance.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I love the comparison between the trooper and knight.

Trooper: Wow the enemy has stolen a superweapon, lets get that back before they wreak unimaginable havoc!

Knight: One superweapon, SCRUB check out my FIVE! :smaug:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Jedi Knight is the worst story I've played by some distance, despite a better than average cast of companions. It's full of stuff that's either dumb, way beyond what the game is capable of representing, or both that imprisonment & timeskip sequence.

They pay lip-service to the idea you're some cool Jedi hero, but really you're just a soldier working for a dumbass failure of a general most of the time which is true to the films but it's frustrating to take an active role that kind of dissonance/hypocrisy.

It's second only to Imperial Agent in terms of broken promises and plot threads that don't end up going anywhere. But Agent at least gets to make lemonade occasionally.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If you don't like the time skip in the Knight storyline you're going to LOVE KOTFE.

Also trooper is a good first act but DrunkenGarbageCan and I are on the same page that act two and three suck. Bounty Hunter is like that too. Trooper is also a terrible game to play simply because it's got the most obscene amount of running back and forth to Coruscant. At least now they added a quick travel point to Senate Plaza.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Medullah posted:

If you don't like the time skip in the Knight storyline you're going to LOVE KOTFE.

Also trooper is a good first act but DrunkenGarbageCan and I are on the same page that act two and three suck. Bounty Hunter is like that too. Trooper is also a terrible game to play simply because it's got the most obscene amount of running back and forth to Coruscant. At least now they added a quick travel point to Senate Plaza.

I disagree, i think chapter 3 of the bounty hunter plot is very strong, i really like the way that the Republic just arrays literally everything political against you in order to try and take you out and you get to just have a gigantic rolling murder across all of known space until you kill your way to an apology and pardon. (Or to aditional murder).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Medullah posted:

Click my post history for hot takes on KOTFE.

The KOTFE timeskip is well done. You lose companions, the galaxy changes... until you start doing the alliance building quests and Republic and Empire are still scrapping on Ilum etc and the illusion gets shattered.

Chapter 3 of Trooper is good so far. "A Sith Lord? I'm leaving"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
i didnt even quite realize the BH story ended, it was so unremarkable

• Locked thread