Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Was walking towards Montreal Central Train Station hoping the Bonaventure sign would be lit up (it wasn't; probably hasn't been in years :() when I passed by what is probably the oldest, nasiest looking pay phone in Montreal. Haven't seen one of these models in decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
View From The Roof by Daric Ashy, on Flickr

Car Wreck by Daric Ashy, on Flickr

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Tried my hand at capturing some stars.

Kanc Stars 3 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Kanc Stars 2 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Big Dipper by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah nice, I was wondering how you got it looking sharp (on my phone it looks good). I tried shooting from the stupidly tall one in Dubai I can't remember the name of without and support, but just couldn't nail the sharpness if I wanted to get any trails in the lights.

I locked the mirror and put the shutter on a timer also, which helps a bit with the shake.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

ACL Weekend

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

-CHA posted:

Tried my hand at capturing some stars.

Big Dipper by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

How did you make the dipper stars stand out so much? I can't get anything close to that. Did you enhance them in post?

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

DorianGravy posted:

How did you make the dipper stars stand out so much? I can't get anything close to that. Did you enhance them in post?

I did do some enhancing to help bring them out more. The stars were fairly bright that night, it was impressive seeing the dipper stand out like that in person.
The clouds did help a lot too. So I can't be too disappointed that it wasn't the perfect clear night that I was hoping for.

Here is the original version for comparison.

-CHA fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 1, 2016

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

-CHA posted:

I did do some enhancing to help bring them out more. The stars were fairly bright that night, it was impressive seeing the dipper stand out like that in person.
The clouds did help a lot too. So I can't be too disappointed that it wasn't the perfect clear night that I was hoping for.

Here is the original version for comparison.

I'm impressed that the stars stand out so much in the original. I haven't been able to get anything like that. Here's what my dipper photos typically look like.

As you can see, the dipper doesn't really stand out.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
There's a cool period of time in the morning when the sun is illuminating Mount Rainier but hasn't quite made it over the rest of the Cascades. For some reason awake enough this morning at 6:30 to set up and try taking a few shots. This was as best as I could get the clouds to cooperate.

Early morning Rainier by drschiebel, on Flickr

Want to try this again when the sky is more clear so the light hitting Ranier is a more stark and you can see more color in the sky, but I'm sure I'll be waiting a year for the conditions that I want.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I should pick up one of those wide rear end Rokinon lenses at some point.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

One more.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
Do any of you follow Milky Way Scientists on facebook? They usually post phenomenal night sky photos, landscapes, and such.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I didn't have high hopes for getting star shots on Saturday night, but was pleasantly surprised

20161001-DSC_5128 by revbleech, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is that streak from a satellite?

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
A friend, with some sticks on fire, in front of the Big Dipper.

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

VelociBacon posted:

Is that streak from a satellite?

I'm presuming meteor; the wife spotted several that night when I wasn't exposing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Planes flicker in long exposures because their lights flash. Satellites are harder to figure out, their light can flicker if the satellite is spinning but they don't all do that.

The sure test is if you take sequential pictures and there's a consistent line tracking across the sky. If the line only appears in one picture, it was a meteor.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Griffith Observatory in LA had a star party tonight! I took my camera along and took some pictures of the city.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

moonrise over honey bucket by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

oregon night by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 11, 2016

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Monument and Flags by Business Ferrets, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

the wax works by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Getting a cool Deus Ex vibe off this

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Will anyone go and shoot the Amsterdam Lights Festival? It'll be there all of November, and it'll be gorgeous to shoot.
If anyone is planning to go, let me know!

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I like how this came out in some regards, but the blurriness really annoys me; it looks like a drat oil painting. I'm trying to figure out a way to capture long trails like that and still properly freeze the spinner... lower iso/higher aperture + higher power flash maybe?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's usually how it's done, use a flash at some point in the exposure to freeze the subject. You'll obviously still get a blurred halo around them depending on how much they're moving but that's part of the "look."

Use a tripod too, there's no reason for the ground and streetlights to be wobbling around like that.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Use a tripod too, there's no reason for the ground and streetlights to be wobbling around like that.

this is why

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately to get rid of light pollution you probably got a long drive ahead of you.

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

To fully escape light pollution, you gotta haul your butt to the spots that are 100% black.. like southeast utah.

Thank you for this. I camp outside Chuckwalla Valley Raceway a couple times a month and have always been mindblown by the amount of stars I can see, though now I guess that makes sense now since it's a dark area in that map. :)

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately to get rid of light pollution you probably got a long drive ahead of you.

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

To fully escape light pollution, you gotta haul your butt to the spots that are 100% black.. like southeast utah.

black skies are thankfully only 45 mins away for me.

Japanese Candle Festival
Saturday

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

One more.

Noice. :golfclap:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

also there is a more up to date dark skies map using 2016 data with greater resolution.

http://www.lightpollutionmap.info

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It confirms what I believed already - if I want to get to the real darkness, I'm gonna be eaten by gators.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kommando posted:

also there is a more up to date dark skies map using 2016 data with greater resolution.

http://www.lightpollutionmap.info

There's a handful of them out there, but I still like the darksitefinder one the best because it shows the spots where it is well and truly dark. A lot of the places that the one you linked are "really dark" still has faint city glow if you start taking 30 second plus exposures

The most recent one I have firsthand experience with is near los alamos. Your link shows the valles caldera as being totally dark but I can guarantee from firsthand experience that this is not true at all. You can certainly see the milky way and for many that's good enough, but there's faint glow to the north, east, and south.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

There's a handful of them out there, but I still like the darksitefinder one the best because it shows the spots where it is well and truly dark. A lot of the places that the one you linked are "really dark" still has faint city glow if you start taking 30 second plus exposures

The most recent one I have firsthand experience with is near los alamos. Your link shows the valles caldera as being totally dark but I can guarantee from firsthand experience that this is not true at all. You can certainly see the milky way and for many that's good enough, but there's faint glow to the north, east, and south.

I guess this is more a problem in the United States, the dark areas on my map are quite dark. I could get a lux meter and see if the numbers agree.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

EL BROMANCE posted:

It confirms what I believed already - if I want to get to the real darkness, I'm gonna be eaten by gators.

No gators here in New Zealand, you just have to fly for like 16 hours or something

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Can't decide if I like the narrow framing or the wide shot better.

untitled-2.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-1.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-6.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I like the wide framing of that shot a lot more, for what it's worth. It gives more context and feels better composed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Christ I'm so annoyed at myself. Tonight was the first night in a few weeks that was not overcast so I decided to try out the live composition function of my new E-M 1 to capture some star trails. I have never used this function before so I decided to just put the camera on the table on my balcony and let it capture while I prepare dinner to get a feeling for how it works / what the results look like. When I came back I saw this on my screen. We only get fireworks 1-2 a year here and I managed to capture one accidentally with the worst framing possible, bad focus and some overexposed lights in the foreground. Image is straight out of camera with some cropping at the bottom.

star trail fireworks cropped by arne sander, on Flickr

Still, the live composition function owns.