Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Kanye's Fashion line is like, black men's objectification of black women expressed in textiles. And I don't mean he's making a statement, he has no idea it comes across that way and he gets so mad that women don't like his poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Can't speak to that just know that it looks duuuuumb.

Don't hate the shoes but too rich for my rear end.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

Meh I get someones politics turning them off of wanting to listen or watch anyone in entertainment I'm personally not like that (except for R.Kelly). But I get that mindset.

Mostly if you do some pedophile poo poo I'm not really trying to listen to you sing about how you wanna blow some chicks back out.

Just like I'm going to laugh at Kanye's dumbass when some Italian fashion magazine doesn't put his new lineup in it and he starts crying about racism

The crazy thing about it is, I'm born and raised in Chicago, and people have known about it FOREVER, especially our parent's generation, and they did fuckall. Like, the dude used to be parked in front of my high school, trying to talk to teenage girls, and no one did poo poo. It was "OH R. KELLY IS HERE!". Like, everyone knew what he was there for. IF we knew it at 13, how the hell did the parents and administration not, and just turn a blind rear end eye to it?

Even today, with everyone knowing right now, its a club in Chicago playing R. Kelly and people getting excited, and that's just abhorrent to me.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, has fashion been anything but a tool to objectify women?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I got an old man question - anyone got some good recommendations for solid black twitter follows, particularly w/r/t politics? I got back to it after a minute away and a lot of the people I've been following are inactive now.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OmanyteJackson posted:

I mean, has fashion been anything but a tool to objectify women?

Yes. Jesus loving christ the hot takes today.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's not how I meant that to come across. it was an honest question but in hindsight... maybe this isn't the thread for it. My bad.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Kanye defends Cosby - not good.

Kendrick defends Wesley Snipes - cool and good.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

The crazy thing about it is, I'm born and raised in Chicago, and people have known about it FOREVER, especially our parent's generation, and they did fuckall. Like, the dude used to be parked in front of my high school, trying to talk to teenage girls, and no one did poo poo. It was "OH R. KELLY IS HERE!". Like, everyone knew what he was there for. IF we knew it at 13, how the hell did the parents and administration not, and just turn a blind rear end eye to it?

Even today, with everyone knowing right now, its a club in Chicago playing R. Kelly and people getting excited, and that's just abhorrent to me.

holy poo poo :stare:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Amid all this music talk, I have a question: does Negrotown have a metal scene?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OmanyteJackson posted:

That's not how I meant that to come across. it was an honest question but in hindsight... maybe this isn't the thread for it. My bad.

It isn't, but this is something people do with black people too so: Just because a group is oppressed doesn't mean their entire existence is oppression, and it doesn't mean they oppress themselves. Some fashion objectifies women, but fashion is an integral art form and it's something women consume and make, so it's facile to assume that all of it is oppressive. That undermines women's agency and implies they're stupid, unwittingly objectifying themselves when they do something as simple as get dressed in the morning. Accordingly, lots of art and entertainment media objectifies black people, but that doesn't make black objectification a foregone conclusion. If you tar everything with the same objectification brush not only are you being intellectually lazy, but you're dismissing the marginalized group's ability to reflect on their own experience and express that in art.

doverhog posted:

Hell yeah it does, there was a good discussion in Misogynoir about that.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

doverhog posted:

all you need right here

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

doverhog posted:

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Hell yeah it does, there was a good discussion in Misogynoir about that.

Here's a link to the start of the misogynoir punk/metal discussion that Tiny Brontosaurus mentioned.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

VikingofRock posted:

Here's a link to the start of the misogynoir punk/metal discussion that Tiny Brontosaurus mentioned.

Aw man, I totally missed that part of that thread, otherwise I'd have jumped in and linked this band to the people saying they could think of only one metal band with a black singer:

https://youtu.be/p1g6viZ3DEw

That's Jada Pinkett-Smith's band, Wicked Wisdom. Yes, Will Smith's wife is a metal singer. And I'm surprised people brought up Sepultura's new singer, but nobody mentioned Living Color, which is or was probably the most famous metal band with black members.

There is some irony in me and my wife's differences in music tastes: she's the black woman from New York, the birthplace of hip-hop, and is the one who likes Soundgarden and other 90's rock, where me, the white dude from the PNW can't stand grunge but listens to a whole lotta 70's and 80's funk and R&B. (We have a lot of overlap in our music tastes including shared loves of both Prince and The Police, but I still rib her about the grunge and she ribs me back about my playlists sounding like the stuff her aunties would play at family reunions.)

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

double negative posted:

I got an old man question - anyone got some good recommendations for solid black twitter follows, particularly w/r/t politics? I got back to it after a minute away and a lot of the people I've been following are inactive now.

Propane Jane @docrocktex26(prolific blogger)
Charles Blow @CharlesMBlow (he works for the NYT)
Marcus H Johnson @smoothkobra (follows politics as a hobby, it seems)
@AngryBlackLady is also fun

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Dexo posted:

I only listen to Macklemore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxwiNgPq_5M

*don't actually listen to Macklemore*

Real question for the thread: what are your thoughts on White Privilege II? It's a superficial and hamfisted but I kinda liked it or at least appreciated where it was coming from.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

negromancer posted:

I have a bunch of extended relatives from Chicago and Calumet and boy loving howdy do they have some hot takes when it comes to anyone that comes from Chicago. My cousin's husband has shot off tirades at me about having the temerity of criticizing Kanye's erratic behavior and he's gone to bat for R. Kelly by saying 'If he were white, they wouldn't have say nothing about that.' There's some crazy loving Chicagoland Omerta that's bonkers af to me as a person from the Kansas City area.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Vanderdeath posted:

I have a bunch of extended relatives from Chicago and Calumet and boy loving howdy do they have some hot takes when it comes to anyone that comes from Chicago. My cousin's husband has shot off tirades at me about having the temerity of criticizing Kanye's erratic behavior and he's gone to bat for R. Kelly by saying 'If he were white, they wouldn't have say nothing about that.' There's some crazy loving Chicagoland Omerta that's bonkers af to me as a person from the Kansas City area.

That's usually the defense, actually.

"White people still going to see Ben Rothlesberger play"

"White people still watch Roman Polanski films."

And the counter to that is: "why do you want to be as bad as you think white people are?"

"Well white people do it too" is a terrible counter argument to justify engaging in fuckery.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I feel like people like Kanye are partially just assholes like other celebrities, but also a result of the insane scrutiny sent towards black celebrities compared to white celebrities amplifying mental health issues. Then, people's general callousness towards mental health especially in sports, music, and entertainment makes it worse.

You realize you're stuck in a situation where your high performance is expected, your basic human emotional responses are seen as attacks or stunts, and the people around you don't truly care to try to get you help.

You gonna break.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

And after typing all that, I realize that my experience is actually somewhat common among the black community at large, in that well-to-do black families or white families that adopt black children frequently try really hard to cut their kids off from their roots so they can assimilate into white culture. My so my black/native american experience is basically a loss of self.

I also want to mention because I've been not really keeping up with this thread, thank you for sharing. It's so very familiar. My experience as a half-black kid with particularly nerdy tastes and behaviors has felt very similar. As if I'm trying to find a piece of me that had been lost or denied through living in a bubble.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
My parents reached middle class during my childhood and the neighborhood we live in didn't have many black kids on it. Now there are more black families living in the neighborhood which is good.

I think some black people shy away from embracing their roots because as kids we're stupid and ostracized people who don't conform to what we think as normal. I remember another black kid telling me I wasn't white after getting the results back for the final algebra exam in 8th grade.

Sorry if this is incomprehensible. I'm on my phone at a bar.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Gaunab posted:

My parents reached middle class during my childhood and the neighborhood we live in didn't have many black kids on it. Now there are more black families living in the neighborhood which is good.

I think some black people shy away from embracing their roots because as kids we're stupid and ostracized people who don't conform to what we think as normal. I remember another black kid telling me I wasn't white after getting the results back for the final algebra exam in 8th grade.

Sorry if this is incomprehensible. I'm on my phone at a bar.

No, I know this experience, both in the requirement that I should pick a side, and in HS, my pride at getting a National Heritage Scholarship being met with "Why don't they give that to the real black people" from a black classmate.

That stung, but in the long run, she's a bit more right than I realized. I had so many advantages that are just denied to just as deserving black people as a matter of course. In the most selfish way, if there wasn't this bullshit, there'd been more black colleagues for me to seek help with, and that may have helped me personally.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
As a Jew growing up generally separated from other Jews for most of my life I can relate to the experience of feeling too assimilated and far away from your own people. I grew up dealing with holocaust jokes from goyische kids but my Jewish friends told me i was "barely Jewish" because I wasn't familiar with the traditions. It sucks on both ends.

Anyway, here's a question that seemed a lot more important a week ago and i forgot to ask but has been bothering me for a bit: the word "boy" has become a popular term of endearment for men lately (eg, "good boy" "soft boy" ["adjective] boy") and generally i like it, but I have been hesitant to use it to describe Black men due to the thorny history with that word. I wanted to ask some of the men here how they would feel about being called that. My gut tells me I'm overthinking it and the context probably changes things, but my guts been wrong before so i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

I would probably be on edge, but it's weird, I've watched a lot of use of "boy" in this slang sense, but I never made the connection, so I might be fine.

Focusing too hard on the euphemism chain misses the point. The simple words "you people" have even been put into service for white supremacy. At the same time this doesn't mean let "friend of the family" fly bright and free, whatever. No real answers.

It's similar to how "girl" gets used for adult women way too much.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

SwimmingSpider posted:

As a Jew growing up generally separated from other Jews for most of my life I can relate to the experience of feeling too assimilated and far away from your own people. I grew up dealing with holocaust jokes from goyische kids but my Jewish friends told me i was "barely Jewish" because I wasn't familiar with the traditions. It sucks on both ends.

Anyway, here's a question that seemed a lot more important a week ago and i forgot to ask but has been bothering me for a bit: the word "boy" has become a popular term of endearment for men lately (eg, "good boy" "soft boy" ["adjective] boy") and generally i like it, but I have been hesitant to use it to describe Black men due to the thorny history with that word. I wanted to ask some of the men here how they would feel about being called that. My gut tells me I'm overthinking it and the context probably changes things, but my guts been wrong before so i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Calling other men boy has never been a popular term of endearment amongst black men. I don't know where you got that info from. It's literally only tolerated from elder women who we have a familial relationship with. Like, my aunt substitutes my name with "boy" all the time, but it's a completely different tone than any man saying it.

TL;DR: calling a black man boy runs you a moderate risk of needing to pay an Obamacare deductible.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Not "among black men", it's an internet/twitter thing where (mostly white) people talk about anime and video game characters by calling them good sweet [adjective] boys, because Griffin McElroy has taken total control of the web's linguistic trends.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Not "among black men", it's an internet/twitter thing where (mostly white) people talk about anime and video game characters by calling them good sweet [adjective] boys, because Griffin McElroy has taken total control of the web's linguistic trends.

As someone who can't stand the goddamn McElroy brothers, it just slightly rubs me the wrong way.

I can make witty and cutesy catchphrases too, Marc!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'd take McElroy enthusiasm, even at its most cloying (which isn't all that cloying, really) over the LF-derived "Cool and Good, actually" nihilism that dominated internet linguistic patterns for the past five years, any day of the week.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, black people aren't really present in online anime discussions. We discuss that among friends or in barbershops.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

negromancer posted:

Yeah, black people aren't really present in online anime discussions. We discuss that among friends or in barbershops.

That's something I'd like to ask about, actually! In my high school, there were a HELL of a lot of my male black classmates that loved anime like Dragonball Z and Naruto. Like, even the ones that didn't watched DBZ when they were young. Is that more widespread or is Minneapolis just rather unique?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

negromancer posted:

I wan to go to anime discussion barbershop. All mine ever talk about it sports or how much Steve Harvey sucks.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

thetoughestbean posted:

That's something I'd like to ask about, actually! In my high school, there were a HELL of a lot of my male black classmates that loved anime like Dragonball Z and Naruto. Like, even the ones that didn't watched DBZ when they were young. Is that more widespread or is Minneapolis just rather unique?

One of the black kids I work with is a huge Naruto fan, to the point of getting a tattoo with a character's quote. Can't say I know how representative that is, but they're out there.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

thetoughestbean posted:

Black dudes love DBZ. You can talk to the hardest dude in the street and he will have an opinion on DBZ. I honestly don't know more than 2 black dudes that haven't watched it.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

thetoughestbean posted:

Baltimore too, at all levels of fandom unfortunately.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

Black dudes love DBZ. You can talk to the hardest dude in the street and he will have an opinion on DBZ. I honestly don't know more than 2 black dudes that haven't watched it.

Is there a reason for that?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

botany posted:

They're popular and they were around when anime was becoming better known in media.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

botany posted:

the same reasons as white people probably.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

DoctorWhat posted:

yeah this was what I meant. Sorry it was unclear :(

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

OmanyteJackson posted:

the same reasons as white people probably.

White nerdy people love DBZ, but most non-nerdy honkies either look upon it with disdain or don't know what it is at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I used to love DBZ but after a certain point, I just lost all interest in it. I felt like the quality fell off a rock after the cell saga and they just sidelined most of the characters that weren't Vegeta or Goku.

I couldn't even work up the urge to see the new Frieza movie because it felt so pointless after they had already fought gods, yet they were going back to fighting someone way weaker.

I also used to love wrestling but stopped watching when I left for college in 2003. But holy poo poo, talk about a company that didn't know how to treat or take advantage of its black wrestlers that weren't The Rock.

• Locked thread