Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

purple death ray posted:

Superman's clothes are also Kryptonian and are really hard to rip or damage. That's good enough for me personally

The Last Thong of Krypton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Comic code approved clothing, never tears in a :nws: way.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Unstable molecules.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

goatface posted:

Unstable molecules.

Janet Van Dyne's entire business model is probably built on using Pym particles and unstable molecules to do stuff like making bullet proof evening wear and give women real pockets without ruining the cut of a jacket.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's not superman, but I always thought the Plutonian (superman archetype) had a comic book plausible explanationfor a lot of Supes powers

If I'm remembering right, that's pretty much how Superboys powers worked. They couldn't quite get Clarks powerset right when they cloned him, so they just sorta cheated the same effects out of psionic tricks.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

It wouldn't work. Kryptonite doesn't disintegrate Superman's flesh on contact, he absorbs the radiation. The bullet would bounce off of him and then he'd get mildly sick if he stood around it.

Kryptonite definitely pierces superflesh. There have been numerous examples of Superman getting shot and/or stabbed with kryptonite, so there's really no room for ambiguity. Everything from comics to cartoons to one of the worst movies ever made supports the notion of kryptonite weapons being effective against kryptonians.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chaos Hippy posted:

Kryptonite definitely pierces superflesh. There have been numerous examples of Superman getting shot and/or stabbed with kryptonite, so there's really no room for ambiguity. Everything from comics to cartoons to one of the worst movies ever made supports the notion of kryptonite weapons being effective against kryptonians.

WickedHate posted:

I've seen comics where guns fire entire cartridges, it doesn't make them accurate.

I know arguing comic book science is the ultimate :goonsay:, but I'm just putting it out there. Similarly, Cyclops' optic blasts don't burn.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

If I'm remembering right, that's pretty much how Superboys powers worked. They couldn't quite get Clarks powerset right when they cloned him, so they just sorta cheated the same effects out of psionic tricks.
Tactile Telekinesis is a fun thing to say outloud. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason they came up with it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Skwirl posted:

Tactile Telekinesis is a fun thing to say outloud. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason they came up with it.

Too bad it's a power that, while awesome, doesn't translate at all to static comic imagery.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

WickedHate posted:

Similarly, Cyclops' optic blasts don't burn.

From the punch dimension Whedon's Astonishing X-Men:

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

I know arguing comic book science is the ultimate :goonsay:, but I'm just putting it out there. Similarly, Cyclops' optic blasts don't burn.

It's not about "comic science," that's just a cop-out. It's about what actually happens every time someone shoots or stabs Superman with kryptonite. It goes through him, every single time. That's how kryptonite works in DC-land.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I thought krypton didn't react to anything.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
oh boy another loving "physics in comic books" derail!

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 18, 2016

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If Cyclops' optic blasts are concussive force, why are they filtered out by rose quartz lenses?
:goonsay:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

And what's this about people who can fly
Bunch of bullshit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wolverine and Hulk's powers grossly violate conservation of mass.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

And don't even get me started on Storm controlling the weather :bahgawd:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Whats all this I hear about Mjolnir?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Herr Tog posted:

Whats all this I hear about Mjolnir?

Mjolnhim, too!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chaos Hippy posted:

It's not about "comic science," that's just a cop-out. It's about what actually happens every time someone shoots or stabs Superman with kryptonite. It goes through him, every single time. That's how kryptonite works in DC-land.

It's still dumb. :colbert:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Wolverine and Hulk's powers grossly violate conservation of mass.

Wolverine's hair is the true mystery power here.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I always loved this and the panels where he wipes out a slew of Sentinels attacked the school. Both are from Whendon's run if I remember right.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

They're great pages the only problem is that Emma doesn't look nearly horny enough while she delivers that line

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Azubah posted:

I always loved this and the panels where he wipes out a slew of Sentinels attacked the school. Both are from Whendon's run if I remember right.

I got u, fam.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm at a loss on this one. Why could Scott look at the dude for a while before shooting him? Is "I can't see normally and have to use special glasses" the lie the alien was talking about?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

MisterBibs posted:

I'm at a loss on this one. Why could Scott look at the dude for a while before shooting him? Is "I can't see normally and have to use special glasses" the lie the alien was talking about?

Cyclops "lost" his powers earlier in the arc, something which the bad guy knew about and the only reason he was willing to challenge him to a staring contest.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Is "I can't see normally and have to use special glasses" the lie the alien was talking about?
No, the lie was that there was a secret weapon named Leviathan ("something ominous and imposing" sounding) in the works to defeat said bad guy that he was torturing Scott to learn about. Earlier, the team had had an entire physic conversation as well as a fake outloud one aboard a ship that they knew was bugged so dude there wouldn't know what the plan was, and the seeds of Leviathan were planted then.

"What other lies have you told?" and the immediate response is still a fan-drat-tastic moment.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

It's still dumb. :colbert:

If that's too dumb for you, you should probably find a different hobby.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

No need to be mean, she could also enter the industry, be the change she wants to see, and write the first ever non-dumb comic book.

E: misgender

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 20, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chaos Hippy posted:

If that's too dumb for you, you should probably find a different hobby.

What are geeks if not a miserable little pile of complaints and self loathing.

Doc Hawkins posted:

No need to be mean, he could also enter the industry, be the change he wants to see, and write the first ever non-dumb comic book.

She.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

What are geeks if not a miserable little pile of complaints and self loathing.

That's not fair. We're also condescending and masturbatory.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Toshimo posted:

I got u, fam.

I really wish the colorist would have picked any other color for the first panel. It took an embarrassing number or re-reads to see that "Oh, it's not Scott going crazy and aiming at the mansion and then taking out the sentinel. The sentinel's beams are also red."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Madkal posted:

Talking about guns and heroes I always like the fact that Batman (in the days of the yellow oval) put his symbol on his chest to act as a target so people wouldn't just try shoot him in the face.

Miller didn't want the yellow oval in DKR, but DC said he had to use it. So, Miller wrote that line so Batman can get shot in the chest and Miller can draw the rest of the comic with the yellow oval torn apart.

purple death ray posted:

Superman's clothes are also Kryptonian and are really hard to rip or damage. That's good enough for me personally

But easy enough for Martha to sew!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uthor posted:

Okay, look, they are made of a special fabric that, when it comes in contact with Superman's bioelectric field, takes on the properties and durability of Superman himself. Outside of that field they are indistinguishable from regular cloth and since the cape regularly is outside of that field it tears much easier.

:colbert:

(actually I'm pretty sure that has been a canon excuse at some point.)

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
There was a kryptonian sewing machine inside the rocket.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Uthor posted:

The cloth operates on Holtzman Effect rules. Turns the fast bullet, admits the slow needle.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mr. Maltose posted:

The cloth operates on Holtzman Effect rules. Turns the fast bullet, admits the slow needle.

Is Krypton set in the Dune universe?!

Edit: guess I get the reference, but don't know that it has a fictional name!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
alright what if, and hear me out, in the name of verisimilitude, Superman has to be naked from now on

eh? eh?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

alright what if, and hear me out, in the name of verisimilitude, Superman has to be naked from now on

eh? eh?

No! Now stop suggesting that for every problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He'd get shot with a lot more gender-swap ray guns.