Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I think I used too much tuumeric because it looked too... tumor-ic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

CommonShore posted:

Have you ever tried to do a low-sodium diet? The number of foods that have basically no salt in them is extremely low. For example, a medium-sized carrot has about 60 mg of salt. Most store-bought bread has a decent amount.

Really, to hit 1mg:2cal is extremely easy, even without any kind of added salt or processed food, and that's more than enough for the vital electrolytes.

If you don't believe me, try to stay under 200 mg of salt/day for a week.

Back in the early 70s just before I was born my Dad had to go on a no salt diet because of kidney issues, and when I say no salt I mean absolutely no salt at all. He was having to take all sorts of pills to mitigate the issues that eating no salt was causing his body. My Mum had to cook everything from scratch, and she hates cooking, as well as reading every label and triple checking every ingredient for salt content. This was all before the internet too, so my Dad lived off a small list of food that the doctor gave him.
Eventually he was declared well enough to start eating a low salt diet for the rest of his life, so I grew up in a house that barely used salt to season anything and with a Mum who was a bad cook :smith:

Both me and my sister learned how to cook the second we left home and I love salty foods, Marmite was a revelation and I mainline that stuff now.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

I like how the universe itself seems to want this thing dead. Seriously, five attempts and a spill while making a bland and soulless "egg" bowl for a batch of thick, instant mashed potatoes.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait Mcdonalds delivers now?

Taiwanese McDs does. Its adds an extra value meal to the price. I got it once when it was 3 AM and I was too tired to drive there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McD delivers in Asia. In Korea you could set it to deliver in the future and pre-order for the next day when drunk to have it as your hangover alarm clock. Not that I'd ever do that.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Ya, Singapore as well. I order from the app when I'm in a taxi home from downtown and get them to leave it on my doorstep, so it's there by the time I get home. What a time to be alive!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

McD delivers in Asia. In Korea you could set it to deliver in the future and pre-order for the next day when drunk to have it as your hangover alarm clock. Not that I'd ever do that.

They deliver in Australia too, at least major cities.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Personally, if I'm too drunk to get my rear end to McDonald's, I'm too drunk to keep it down anyway.

7-11 in Thailand does toasties and those are a godsend at 3am though. Any pictures of them might be fodder for this thread though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Data Graham posted:

"I think I used too much tuumeric because it looked too... tumor-ic"

That sounds like a line from a Strongbad Email cartoon

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
My husband ordered McDelivery this morning just for two coffees. We might be trash.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Televisio Frankus posted:

instant mashed potatoes

fuckin' sin against nature right there, gently caress

e: like you're a fuckin' vegan how is the first thing you learn not 'how to do vegetables right' I'm a massive carno and even I know how to make fuckin' mashed spuds

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Somfin posted:

fuckin' sin against nature right there, gently caress

e: like you're a fuckin' vegan how is the first thing you learn not 'how to do vegetables right' I'm a massive carno and even I know how to make fuckin' mashed spuds

This forum has had its share of fun with lowcarb people, but there is an equal amount of "I'm a vegan, it's healthy" *eats a pound of french fries every day* out there.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I don't get the hate for instant mashed potatoes.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

Pirate Radar posted:

Personally, if I'm too drunk to get my rear end to McDonald's, I'm too drunk to keep it down anyway.

7-11 in Thailand does toasties and those are a godsend at 3am though. Any pictures of them might be fodder for this thread though.

To be fair 7-11's in Thailand are like.... well they're not quite like anything else. There's 2 on every block. On each side of the street.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I don't get the hate for instant mashed potatoes.

They're really not bad at all. You can get a huge box of them for dirt cheap at your local big box store and they're plenty tasty. The only downside is no skins, but the tradeoff in effort and time makes up for it a bit.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

They're really not bad at all. You can get a huge box of them for dirt cheap at your local big box store and they're plenty tasty. The only downside is no skins, but the tradeoff in effort and time makes up for it a bit.

Yeah, I mean the real kind is definitely better but it is a pain in the rear end to make, at least compared to something as simple as "heat up water, stir flakes in, it's done". The taste and texture is a bit of a downgrade but as you say the tradeoff is worth it unless you're trying to impress somebody.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
For so many people the goal is to obliterate potatoes into potato flour suspended in cream at which point might as well go instant.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I am not a picky eater by any means but I disliked mashed potatoes for a long time. I don't mind them necessarily, but I'd rather have like, a whole roasted/boiled potato and then roughly mash it myself and put some seasonings and butter on it, as opposed to whipping potatoes + milk together, dad

e: I need to go buy some potatoes now, thanks thread!!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Instant mashed potato flakes make a really good thickener for stews and the like, beats faffing around with a cornstarch slurry.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

angerbeet posted:

Instant mashed potato flakes make a really good thickener for stews and the like, beats fapping around with a cornstarch slurry.

:aaaaa: holy crap! I have to try the instant taters in my next stew.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

angerbeet posted:

Instant mashed potato flakes make a really good thickener for stews and the like, beats faffing around with a cornstarch slurry.

whaaaat

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Instant potatoes loving rule when backpacking. They're lightweight so they're easy to carry, and then they taste super great when you're starving after walking for 8 hours straight.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

iRend posted:

To be fair 7-11's in Thailand are like.... well they're not quite like anything else. There's 2 on every block. On each side of the street.

The real champion move is to buy two, have them toast one, and eat the other one cold while the second is in the press. Mmm mmm refrigerated 7-11 ham & cheese

CuteStorm
Sep 22, 2010
#Wifemeup delivers!

Fillet Minyon! <3

The saddest interpretation of garlic bread.

Pizza pasta never looks nice.

:(

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Megabound posted:

They deliver in Australia too, at least major cities.

I work in Warwick, QLD and live in Toowoomba. Grew up in Bundaberg. Only Bundy delivers. But Warwick red rooster delivers

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

McSpergin posted:

I work in Warwick, QLD and live in Toowoomba. Grew up in Bundaberg. Only Bundy delivers. But Warwick red rooster delivers

Yea, I'm Brisbane city, I think Gold Coast delivers as well, probably other state capitals at least as well.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

how did you find a picture of my dinner

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Corn masa is a really good thickener for chili.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Semisponge posted:

Corn masa is a really good thickener for chili.

Yeah, that's how I do mine too!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I grind tortilla chips and use that. It also gives seasoning!

(A tip I learned from Alton brown.)

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

angerbeet posted:

They're also really good mixed with flour for breading when you fry fish, makes the resulting crust incredibly light and fluffy with a nice crunch on the outer layer.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

AFP: "Fancy" pizza edition:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fancy pizza = uncooked bases?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

they all look so dry

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

The Snoo posted:

they all look so dry

This one's about a minute away from being soaked through with tomato water

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It's annoying how people consider non-circular messed up crust to be a sign of being "artisinal". It looks more like a child made it, or a guy in a rush who wasn't even trying to make it into a circle.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
The 'pizzas' that look super dry probably have gluten free crusts.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Ziggy Smalls posted:

The 'pizzas' that look super dry probably have gluten free crusts.

This. There's a pizza place in town that makes a big stink about imported flour and farm to table veggies and poo poo. They make good pizza but even they haven't figured out a decent gluten free crust.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
That's because it's impossible to have traditional pizza crust without gluten. It's structurally vital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's annoying how people consider non-circular messed up crust to be a sign of being "artisinal". It looks more like a child made it, or a guy in a rush who wasn't even trying to make it into a circle.

I make pizza at home all the time and it's tough to get a really circular pizza. I don't consider it artesian I just like making them myself and they are so cheap compared to delivery pizza