Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Trump wrote another Hamilton tweet. Trying hard to shift media attention there.

Apparently Bannon is in the audience for tonight's showing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Trump wrote another Hamilton tweet. Trying hard to shift media attention there.

Lol it just got deleted

SeANMcBAY posted:

Apparently Bannon is in the audience for tonight's showing now.

Source?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

CelestialScribe posted:

Two weeks in and nuclear runmbling is already happening.

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/800132565533278208

My greatest fear is regional nuclear conflict. It seems like the ultimate no-turning-back scenario. I also feel like there's nothing I can do other than hope it doesn't happen. I'm not aware of actual steps I can take to work against it. We're going to be living in the loving Watchmen universe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I must be missing something; why are all these arch-conservatives going to what is apparently a very liberal musical?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I must be missing something; why are all these arch-conservatives going to what is apparently a very liberal musical?

Pence may have been going for the sake of attending something in pop culture, trying to maintain a place in the public eye and whatnot. Bannon, if he is truly there, is likely trying to provoke a reaction.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Something something founding fathers patriotic something something

I can't imagine it's much deeper than that it's about that era.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Probably because they love fellating the Founding Fathers and thought they'd give this popular patriotic-looking thing a go? Helps that they can actually afford the tickets too, of course. (And are probably just stuck hovering in Trump's NYC-anchored orbit without plans.)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

twistedmentat posted:

This is the most likely. We here in Canada had a Prime Minister who managed to avoid anyone but friendly media for a full decade. Though seeing the media get salty after they gave Trump pretty much a free ride during the election when he turns on them will be interesting. This is why I am convinced they'll be leaping on any scandal story involving Trump and his crew. Trump is ratings, and if they can't get him saying silly and infuriating things, they'll find people who will say them about Trump.

He'll have addresses complaining about SNL Skits that are critical of him.

The only thing salty about the press will be the stuff dribbling out all their orifices after they prostrate themselves in a desperate attempt to regain access.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how often I see someone spout off pro Trump bullshit, but then when called on it they go "I didn't vote for Trump!" as if it's some kind of pass.

Bannon 100% is there so he can say how mean all the nig....I mean Liberals were to him.

FAUXTON posted:

The only thing salty about the press will be the stuff dribbling out all their orifices after they prostrate themselves in a desperate attempt to regain access.

I don't think so, Trump being nutty is worth more than "Trump totally didn't fart in front of the President of France" style news.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Donald Trump, infact, seriously considering Sarah Palin to be his Interior Secretary? Are there other options?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jesus, if Bannon is actually at Hamilton tonight, I'm kinda worried.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Grouchio posted:

Is Donald Trump, infact, seriously considering Sarah Palin to be his Interior Secretary? Are there other options?

I suspect it'll be an oil baron in the end. Somebody with a hardon for the death of conservation and mining every open piece of land they can find.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Thaddius the Large posted:

Pence may have been going for the sake of attending something in pop culture, trying to maintain a place in the public eye and whatnot. Bannon, if he is truly there, is likely trying to provoke a reaction.

Bannon is trolling, and they should probably cancel the show.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If Bannon is at Hamilton, they had better call him a literal nazi mid-show.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

Bannon is trolling, and they should probably cancel the show.

Isn't that also just giving the troll what he wants?

Grouchio posted:

It's more a rumor than anything else. You can actually take it seriously if Trump meets or calls her like with Romney.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
They should do nothing whatsoever to acknowledge Bannon and do the show as normal.

They acknowledged Pence because he's an elected official and they put him into a bad position by politely calling him out in a reasonable way. Bannon is a nobody and should be treated as such.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bannon is a Nazi perilously close to a position of government power and should be beaten senseless by every able-bodied member of the establishment.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I like how often I see someone spout off pro Trump bullshit, but then when called on it they go "I didn't vote for Trump!" as if it's some kind of pass.

I have a transgender friend who "became" libertarian following Democratic primary and been NeverHillary throughout the rest of the season whose been throwing out normalizing rhetoric regarding the protests and downplay all the threats and attacks against minorities and LGBT people. It's downright peculiar to see someone like that defend Trump and the air of bullshit around him.

twistedmentat posted:

Bannon 100% is there so he can say how mean all the nig....I mean Liberals were to him.

What will be hilarious is if they don't recognize him or address him at all. The dude looks like everyone's drunk racist uncle or friend.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DoctorWhat posted:

Bannon is a Nazi perilously close to a position of government power and should be beaten senseless by every able-bodied member of the establishment.

I agree, but we don't live in that world. I'd rather not see them all go to jail for life for attacking a guy most of the country knows nothing about.

He's trolling for a reaction. Defeat him by denying him his reaction.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Yeah I have to admit I had no idea what Bannon looked like until yesterday and even now I wouldn't recognize him in a crowd. He's no Mike Pence - you could recognize that serial-killer someone else's face-skin on your skull look anywhere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm pretty sure the ghosts of the Founding Fathers would appear and hang him from the nearest Tree. Or maybe just do the end of Raiders.

Oh yea, the Ark is open during the State of the Union, and Trump is Belloch and Pence is Todtenkopf.

Young Freud posted:

I have a transgender friend who "became" libertarian following Democratic primary and been NeverHillary throughout the rest of the season whose been throwing out normalizing rhetoric regarding the protests and downplay all the threats and attacks against minorities and LGBT people. It's downright peculiar to see someone like that defend Trump and the air of bullshit around him.

What will be hilarious is if they don't recognize him or address him at all. The dude looks like everyone's drunk racist uncle or friend.

But I'm sure your friend, they're all "but I voted for Johnson!". Like seriously, is that somehow better?

Bannon kinda looks like Matt Groening .

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

speng31b posted:

Yeah I have to admit I had no idea what Bannon looked like until yesterday and even now I wouldn't recognize him in a crowd. He's no Mike Pence - you could recognize that serial-killer someone else's face-skin on your skull look anywhere.

I was watching that CSPAN elevator feed the other day, commented "Is that Bannon or some other fat white guy with a bad haircut?", and some random guy tracked down my Facebook to call me an awful fat person.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Bannon provokes liberals into reacting by his attendance, even if it's just on Twitter, and it only furthers the narrative that "Trump's critics are all a bunch of big city liberal elite intellectuals, so different than the rest of us regular Americans, they're overreacting to a bunch of nothing". It's obvious, but damned if I don't see a lot of people taking the bait.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bannon provokes liberals into reacting by his attendance, even if it's just on Twitter, and it only furthers the narrative that "Trump's critics are all a bunch of big city liberal elite intellectuals, so different than the rest of us regular Americans, they're overreacting to a bunch of nothing". It's obvious, but damned if I don't see a lot of people taking the bait.

Related to this, the outright hostility towards education and reveling in anti-intellectualism in this country does not bode well. We're going to keep losing elections if we ignore how effectively the right has systematically destroyed public education in this country and turned a quality education into a privilege of the few, then demonized them for daring to be educated.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I don't care, I want the bastard in traction.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lightning Knight posted:

Related to this, the outright hostility towards education and reveling in anti-intellectualism in this country does not bode well. We're going to keep losing elections if we ignore how effectively the right has systematically destroyed public education in this country and turned a quality education into a privilege of the few, then demonized them for daring to be educated.

President of the United State where lack of experience is considered a bonus.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Lightning Knight posted:

Keeping in this thread, this is why protesting and connecting to people is important. These people aren't all dumb, they're uninformed, and talking to people can change some minds. I've had conversations on the street or in restaurants and bars that have both informed me and taught other people. Gathering information links, recommending documentaries, articles, and books to explain why you think what you do could be useful.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Lightning Knight posted:

Blaming the Right for a culture of anti-intellectual doesn't get at the real culprit of why our citizens value knowledge so little.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't care, I want the bastard in traction.

The American political culture doesn't jive with bash the fash, unfortunately. We teach kids to idealize MLK instead of Malcom X for a reason.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Blaming the Right for a culture of anti-intellectual doesn't get at the real culprit of why our citizens value knowledge so little.

The right isn't the only source of anti-intellectualism but this election proved that you can get far by fanning the flames.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree, but we don't live in that world. I'd rather not see them all go to jail for life for attacking a guy most of the country knows nothing about.

He's trolling for a reaction. Defeat him by denying him his reaction.
Does Bannon hate Trump's son in law Jared Kushner since he's Jewish (and someone who Trump wants on his team?) Or does he merely consider him a credit to his race? Also how is him being Chief Strategist actually going to work if Trump really, really wants to work with Israel? (Unless Bannon hates Muslims as much as Jews...)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

The right isn't the only source of anti-intellectualism but this election proved that you can get far by fanning the flames.

I think it more proved that appealing to baser things doesn't really hurt. In other words, Trump being Trump didn't defeat himself.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Grouchio posted:

Does Bannon hate Trump's son in law Jared Kushner since he's Jewish (and someone who Trump wants on his team?) Or does he merely consider him a credit to his race? Also how is him being Chief Strategist actually going to work if Trump really, really wants to work with Israel? (Unless Bannon hates Muslims as much as Jews...)

No idea on Kushner, but Bannon seems like the type to pit the Muslims and Israel against each other, probably siding with Israel at first to suit his ends.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Grouchio posted:

I could be wrong, but I think Bannon's anti-semitism is much less prevalent than his anti-Islam, the former is much more of a general dislike of "the other" than the latter, where he has a desire for outright eradication.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I could be wrong, but I think Bannon's anti-semitism is much less prevalent than his anti-Islam, the former is much more of a general dislike of "the other" than the latter, where he has a desire for outright eradication.
So Bannon's not really a nazi then?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I'm pretty sure the ghosts of the Founding Fathers would appear and hang him from the nearest Tree. Or maybe just do the end of Raiders.

Oh yea, the Ark is open during the State of the Union, and Trump is Belloch and Pence is Todtenkopf.

I've been reading Burroughs, and I'd imagine the scene out of "The Wild Boys" where the Department of Defense tries to weaponize Ah Puk. "Here lived stupid vulgar sons of bitches who thought they could hire DEATH as a company cop!"

twistedmentat posted:

But I'm sure your friend, they're all "but I voted for Johnson!". Like seriously, is that somehow better?

How did you know? :haw:

Grouchio posted:

Word has it that Kushner's gunning for Bannon. Kushner basically made the decision between Bannon and Rence Preibus for Chief of Staff. "Chief strategist" is the consolation prize and reward for the campaign, but Kushner's looking to edge him out of Trump's inner circle by getting his own security clearance.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 20, 2016

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Grouchio posted:

So Bannon's not really a nazi then?

He's a racist fascist, whether you want to extend that to outright Naziism is up to you. I dislike the comparisons as anything more than facile allusions, as Trump and his folk are plenty despicable in their own right, and trying to draw historic parallels tends to distract from present issues when extended anything more than surface level, but that's me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Grouchio posted:

I can only speculate, but white nationalists tend to make weird temporary alliances with other ethnic advocacy groups when their interests align. They probably like that Israel has a gross right wing government happy to poo poo on Muslims, and getting all the Jewish people in one place makes them an easier long term target to people with genocidal aspirations.

Remember that white nationalists backed black separatists in the '60s because they liked that they wanted all the black people to leave America.

speng31b posted:

I think it more proved that appealing to baser things doesn't really hurt. In other words, Trump being Trump didn't defeat himself.

Shhhh. We aren't allowed to say that racism is one of the big driving motivations in American politics.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 20, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's also the white nationalist/ Christians that believe Jews are Gods chosen people but they should all live in Israel. White Nationalist are absolutely white supremacist ,but there's also the message of no racial mixing at all above other beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

So, NPR's aired a couple interviews recently with alt-right figures and white supremacists. People are claiming that doing so is normalizing their speech and therefore giving neo-nazi speech legitimacy. I'm inclined to agree, personally.

NPR put out a response about it, and it looks like their response is "we'll report on whatever we want, thanks". I'm kinda conflicted on this. Yes, freedom of speech and press is important, but I don't think I'm happy with neo-nazis and the KKK being given the same legitimacy as some inoffensive political subgroup.

What's the deal with NPR these days? They used to be the only liberal/progressive choice a decade+ back, but recently they've gotten kinda lovely.

I've listened to a number of these, and to be fair the people interviewing the alt right folks have generally come across as disbelieving and incredulous of their stances, so they are hardly towing the line. The problem is NPR hosts never call bullshit, even when it is staring them in the face, so it comes across as incredibly limp-wristed at best.

But then again, brought to you by Koch industries, who employ 60000 people!

• Locked thread