Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cptn_dr posted:

Has there been any indication that Wulff Yularen is gonna be in Rogue One? If they're including one Clone Wars character, it would also make sense to include the one who was also canonically on the Death Star.

maybe, tarkin will be in it as CGI double. so yularen will probaly be in the backround.

also i noticed in the trailer that vader was doing the choke fingers. so my guess is he will probably kill some fuckups, probably Hannibal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe, tarkin will be in it as CGI double. so yularen will probaly be in the backround.

also i noticed in the trailer that vader was doing the choke fingers. so my guess is he will probably kill some fuckups, probably Hannibal.

Wait I thought the Tarkin CGI double stuff was denied as just being crap sourced from the Daily Mail?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Not that new British guy seems bad or anything.
Australian :spergin:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not sure I agree, to be honest. Stuff like Agent of the Empire was good but other than that, what was still ongoing? I don't think they were doing so well commercially either. (I'd fallen off Dark Horse Star Wars right at the end of it after like 10 years of being a turbo-geek for them.)

From what I remember, the last year or so of Dark Horse's run they had Legacy Vol. II (which I actually liked, it had a very unique approach and feel... honestly, a bit like the best aspects of TFA in retrospect) and the Brian Wood Star Wars series (which I never got into) as their two ongoings, a rotating number of Darth Vader miniseries, and an additional miniseries roughly in between the Vader releases. Ironically, between the Brian Wood series and the 8 issue adaptation of the original Star Wars rough draft screenplay, I think their last year with the license was a major upsurge for Dark Horse's Star Wars sales.

I know when the original run of Legacy was going, it was regularly Dark Horse's second best selling comic behind Buffy. I think KOTOR did decent numbers as well, at least by DH standards. Does anyone have numbers of how Marvel's various Star Wars series sell in comparison to stuff like X-Men or Secret Wars II or whatever? Now that the initial Star Wars fervor has died down, I'm curious what the numbers are like.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Does anyone have numbers of how Marvel's various Star Wars series sell in comparison to stuff like X-Men or Secret Wars II or whatever? Now that the initial Star Wars fervor has died down, I'm curious what the numbers are like.
The current stuff? It's doing very well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

From what I remember, the last year or so of Dark Horse's run they had Legacy Vol. II (which I actually liked, it had a very unique approach and feel... honestly, a bit like the best aspects of TFA in retrospect) and the Brian Wood Star Wars series (which I never got into) as their two ongoings, a rotating number of Darth Vader miniseries, and an additional miniseries roughly in between the Vader releases. Ironically, between the Brian Wood series and the 8 issue adaptation of the original Star Wars rough draft screenplay, I think their last year with the license was a major upsurge for Dark Horse's Star Wars sales.

I know when the original run of Legacy was going, it was regularly Dark Horse's second best selling comic behind Buffy. I think KOTOR did decent numbers as well, at least by DH standards. Does anyone have numbers of how Marvel's various Star Wars series sell in comparison to stuff like X-Men or Secret Wars II or whatever? Now that the initial Star Wars fervor has died down, I'm curious what the numbers are like.

That first draft adaptation comic was really awesome in a "I can't believe how different this could have been" way. I reallly miss the KOTOR comic too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thanks. I guess I forgot about the last Aftermath book coming out in February.

Catalyst feels like they gave Luceno a really narrow prompt and he wasn't able to do much with it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

I didn't read the Wood series (I just wasn't interested in another "in between ANH and ESB" series at the time) but I can distinctly remember a bunch of people throwing a strop about Leia being shown piloting an X-Wing in it, because she never did that in the movies so obviously it's completely impossible that she could do it at all.

One of the last DH series that that I remember reading was the Qui-Gon series which tied into the old Jedi Apprentice books which I loved when I was a kid. That wasn't a bad series.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dave Syndrome posted:

Not trying to be snarky, just genuinely curious: Are you misremembering the timeline, or did history repeat itself recently?

Because I do know that Jason Swank and Jimmy MacInnerny quitting and creating Rebel Force Radio happened a few years ago, not a few months.
I remember listening to the ForceCast after that on and off for a few months (I think both hosts were called Eric? Blythe and Geller, or something?), and it was just a very drab affair in comparison. I have no idea how and why it ended, but the general feeling I got from those who still listened was "no big loss".

History repeated itself. The boring guys you remember ran it for a while, then they either got axed or quit, and they had one episode with a new host, then it was straight up cancelled.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whoops.

That actually has me wondering is the British accent pretty much considered the canon version of the Imperial accent?

Oh what are the books coming out for Rogue one that are say for a young reader (5 years old). My daughter loves me reading 5 Minute Marvel Stories before bed and I was wondering what might be coming similar to that, but in the Star Wars vein.

My daughter is so hyped for the movie (as am I). We've been watching trailers all the time and she can't wait for Darth Vader.

Related any board books suitable for a 10 month old?

Oh anyone ever uses Star Wars Explained on YouTube when they need their lore summarized? It was pretty useful for taking care of Catalyst. I wish I had more time to read or listen to Star Wars audiobooks...but kids and work.

Kind of want to read it still as the SWE book review made it sounded really good.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 18, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Chairman Capone posted:

Goddamn Legacy owned. Cade himself wasn't all that great (although he would have been significantly improved if his visual design wasn't so cringeworthy), but if they made someone like Antares Draco or Marasiah Fel the main protagonist it might be my favorite EU product ever.

My only real complaint was that none of the new spaceship designs were particularly great, but meh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That actually has me wondering is the British accent pretty much considered the canon version of the Imperial accent?

fwiw, I remember reading that Obi-Wan was supposed to have a Coruscant / Core worlds accent in the prequels, when Ewan McGregor was doing an RP accent.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well only evil people have scottish accents in Star Wars. Either Odda The Younger's death gang from Force Awakens or Sleeps WIth Vibroblades Sith Lord.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Whoops.

Oh what are the books coming out for Rogue one that are say for a young reader (5 years old). My daughter loves me reading 5 Minute Marvel Stories before bed and I was wondering what might be coming similar to that, but in the Star Wars vein.

My daughter is so hyped for the movie (as am I). We've been watching trailers all the time and she can't wait for Darth Vader.

Related any board books suitable for a 10 month old?

Oh anyone ever uses Star Wars Explained on YouTube when they need their lore summarized? It was pretty useful for taking care of Catalyst. I wish I had more time to read or listen to Star Wars audiobooks...but kids and work.

Kind of want to read it still as the SWE book review made it sounded really good.

Yeah I really like Star Wars Explained. It's great for all that little stuff, like the details on all the Super Star Destroyers or backstory of this person or whatever. It's good background noise for when I'm doing laundry or cleaning.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VaultAggie posted:

Yeah I really like Star Wars Explained. It's great for all that little stuff, like the details on all the Super Star Destroyers or backstory of this person or whatever. It's good background noise for when I'm doing laundry or cleaning.

Cool, that was kind of what I was doing anyway, just wanted to make sure that the person did a decent job with it, since I'd have no way of knowing (off hand) if he was right or not).

Oh heads up to parents or people looking to get gifts for kids. The Star Wars movie adaptations by Golden Books are really nice done and make great early readers or books to read from to them. There are also audio cd ones (using stills rendered as art from the movie), which while cool are kind of a PITA unless you rip the CD so you can just play it for them without switching CDs (and because you will lose those things).

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 18, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Whoops.

If i remember the old canon(and probably the new) british/uk/whatever is the Core worlds accent which is were alot of the officer corps come from.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Emilia Clarke has joined the cast of the untitled Han Solo film.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh goody.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Emilia Clarke has joined the cast of the untitled Han Solo film.

oh gently caress. is she a big role because if she is, that movie is hosed. she is a terrible actress. she isn't that good GoT and she was loving terrible in that new terminator. hopefully the others can balance it out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh gently caress. is she a big role because if she is, that movie is hosed. she is a terrible actress. she isn't that good GoT and she was loving terrible in that new terminator. hopefully the others can balance it out.

No details beyond the standard "joins an ensemble cast" etc.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it me or does Tom Baker as Bendu sound oddly like Christopher Lee?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

To be fair judging anyone by the new Terminator film isn't a great idea.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So, in the new canon, how many jedi are left after Order 66?

It always bugged me in the old Legacy canon that while the movies are focusing on Luke being the last of the jedi, you apparently couldn't turn over a rock without a jedi master or two scampering out of hiding.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair judging anyone by the new Terminator film isn't a great idea.

Except Arnold.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a post in this thread or is it the GBS one about which Star Wars podcast aren't awful?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Is there a post in this thread or is it the GBS one about which Star Wars podcast aren't awful?

This thread, but also that thread most likely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Canemacar posted:

So, in the new canon, how many jedi are left after Order 66?

It always bugged me in the old Legacy canon that while the movies are focusing on Luke being the last of the jedi, you apparently couldn't turn over a rock without a jedi master or two scampering out of hiding.

There are a bunch but I think they've been getting around it by implying they all die before RotJ.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Campaign Podcast is really good if actual play tabletop rpg podcasts are your thing. The same group of people plus a few more of their friends also do Never Tell Me The Pods, which is fun if you can explosive amounts of Star Wars fangushing.

WRT another post about good Star Wars podcasts, :shrug:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

There are a bunch but I think they've been getting around it by implying they all die before RotJ.

Plus, at least by Ahsoka's example, all you need to do is say, "I'm not a Jedi any more," and you don't count.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moose King posted:

Campaign Podcast is really good if actual play tabletop rpg podcasts are your thing. The same group of people plus a few more of their friends also do Never Tell Me The Pods, which is fun if you can explosive amounts of Star Wars fangushing.

WRT another post about good Star Wars podcasts, :shrug:

Oh I don't mind about fangushing that much. Usually just looking for background listening. I just wish I could find that post were someone did an effort post about the different podcasts.

Is Making Star Wars any good? At this point I'm just desperate for reasonably quick updated content.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
I've got to give a +1 to Campaign Podcast and Never Tell Me the Pods. Campaign takes an episode and a half to find it's footing, but from then on out it gets steadily better as people figure out their characters. Unlike most RPGs where everyone is struggling to be the best or do cool things, the players seem to go out of their way to make things harder for themselves. Hell, during my favorite episode the party spends the whole time struggling to get through customs despite the GM trying to give them outs for it.

Never Tell Me the Pods is also pretty good as far as Star Wars podcasts go. It's less "old grogs talking about their Snoke theories" and more a younger, diverse audience talking about inclusiveness and what they love about Star Wars. Kat Kuhl, a frequent guest on the show and host of Campaign has some Hot Takes on the Sith and Dathomir witches, and the host can be a little annoying when he talks over people sometimes, but otherwise it's a solid listen that seems to update fairly regularly.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lake Jucas posted:

I've got to give a +1 to Campaign Podcast and Never Tell Me the Pods. Campaign takes an episode and a half to find it's footing, but from then on out it gets steadily better as people figure out their characters. Unlike most RPGs where everyone is struggling to be the best or do cool things, the players seem to go out of their way to make things harder for themselves. Hell, during my favorite episode the party spends the whole time struggling to get through customs despite the GM trying to give them outs for it.

Never Tell Me the Pods is also pretty good as far as Star Wars podcasts go. It's less "old grogs talking about their Snoke theories" and more a younger, diverse audience talking about inclusiveness and what they love about Star Wars. Kat Kuhl, a frequent guest on the show and host of Campaign has some Hot Takes on the Sith and Dathomir witches, and the host can be a little annoying when he talks over people sometimes, but otherwise it's a solid listen that seems to update fairly regularly.

Thank you, because I really can't stand Rebel Force Radio, and that was supposedly the "good one". I'll try Never Tell Me The Pods.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try out Never Tell Me the Pods too.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Is Making Star Wars any good? At this point I'm just desperate for reasonably quick updated content.

I go to Making Star Wars for all my Star Wars rumor/leak updates, and so I tried their podcast once, and I couldn't get through the episode. The hosts came across like really annoying high school nerds constantly doing "yo yo yo" 'urban' impersonations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Making Star Wars isn't even a decent site to read, it's simply the site that's usually first to report stuff.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Making Star Wars isn't even a decent site to read, it's simply the site that's usually first to report stuff.

And it seems like they really haven't had any major leaks since The Force Awakens.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Not sure if you guys can help me with this, but I'm trying to find higher quality/larger size versions of these images. Ideally I'd like to get them turned into posters to hang up in my gaming room, but I can't seem to find any better than this.

http://imgur.com/a/830uw

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So my local public library has the full X-wing series, and I checked out the Wraith Squadron books. Finished the first one today.

Disney, please make the next movie a Wraith Squadron movie. Substitute a high-ranking Imperial/First Order admiral for Zsinj/Triggit, get a good female cast, and make The Dirty Dozen With X-Wings.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to see them fit a Gomorian in an X-Wing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot/status/805269785835544576

Lots of little bits of info and impressions, no huge spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

I want to see them fit a Gomorian in an X-Wing.
The fictional (or semi fictional?) ewok pilot is a better pilot i guess. Also Bojack Horseman, xwing pilot.