Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Calaveron posted:

Is that a new guy that's coming up? Are we having another plot digression?
I can't tell if you're joking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
we probably last saw him, like, a year ago

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Splicer posted:

I can't tell if you're joking

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

You're a blessing, Cryophage.

Also, wow, Ed bringing the harsh truths.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

This wasn't meant as commentary on the thread; I'd just been meaning to make this one for ages.

Av:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Update! Intense fight scene! More Ed!

Alt text: Johnny's shirt is a hazard in battle because it shows your enemy both the location of your heart and the identity of the women you love

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

The most important question: Is Ed truly Anime, or just Anime by association with Isaac?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm more interested in the big bald spectral fighting the hulk over there.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm getting the impression Ed hasn't really fought other kids/humans before, despite being part of a secret society of ghost-fighters and partly raised by an imposing ghost-karate master.

Even so, even the basic spectral power of going into the spirit realm thing to pause time, catch your breath and move just a little bit should be enough to let him do pretty drat well, if he used it. He's probably not supposed to, but his tool-spirit seems like the type to encourage him to win. Or at least to not get totally owned by a baseball bat.

I remember Isabel's memory of trying to fight a dog with a spectral weapon and learning that's not how it works, so it'd be neat to see more of how spectral powers actually matter in the real world. Some tools or medium powers have real-world effects, although maybe not all.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

BlackPersona posted:

Update! Intense fight scene! More Ed!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like this page a lot but I sorta wish Johnny had actually not gone noodly-armed since it'd have been cool to see Ed do something legit badass considering he's spent the last X years of his life playing host to an emotionally abusive personal coach as well as just fighting things in general. I had actually forgot at first that Johnny clearly wasn't into it and was like "drat, good poo poo Ed," but then I went back and read the last page and remembered. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be cool anyway once we find out Johnny's reasons for pulling his punches.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I like this page a lot but I sorta wish Johnny had actually not gone noodly-armed since it'd have been cool to see Ed do something legit badass considering he's spent the last X years of his life playing host to an emotionally abusive personal coach as well as just fighting things in general. I had actually forgot at first that Johnny clearly wasn't into it and was like "drat, good poo poo Ed," but then I went back and read the last page and remembered. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be cool anyway once we find out Johnny's reasons for pulling his punches.

RJ isn't pulling that bat. We might get something neat, yet.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Countblanc posted:

It's kind of an interesting action sequence, since Ed correctly deflects Johnny's punch (it's just easier than he expected because Johnny's not feelin' it), and then, jazzed by this success, appears to be doing a pretty legit move to take advantage of Johnny's imbalance and gut-punch him, which only fails because Johnny falls over to a fairly light tap instead of resisting.

So, Ed actually does come across looking like a pretty decent scrapper; he's just having abnormal results because Johnny doesn't respond to stimuli like a normal human.

Admittedly he's about to have his skull cracked with a bat, but he probably just didn't think RJ would actually hit him with something that could kill him.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Also I get the feeling that Ed isn't actually a student of Grampa's Dojo, he's just being watched possibly as a favor to Ed's parents. I don't think we've ever seen him make spirit constructs like Isabel has, anyway, and I'm almost positive we've never seen him training. So I don't think he's ever actually fought another human before, just spirits.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

He's used spectral power before and got some pointers from Gramps but he doesn't seem to make a habit of it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1c0QclI4S8

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Who What Now posted:

Also I get the feeling that Ed isn't actually a student of Grampa's Dojo, he's just being watched possibly as a favor to Ed's parents. I don't think we've ever seen him make spirit constructs like Isabel has, anyway, and I'm almost positive we've never seen him training. So I don't think he's ever actually fought another human before, just spirits.

He's definitely done some training, like here: http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-60, but I also recall a bit where Isabel comes back from training to play video games and Ed says ol' Gramps never goes that hard on him because he doesn't expect much from the shrimpy nerd.

J.A.B.C. posted:

RJ isn't pulling that bat. We might get something neat, yet.

The neat thing will be Ed getting his skull cracked and spending the rest of the comic in intensive care at the hospital, the story will switch focus to the consequences of unchecked bullying in middle school while RJ gets sent to juvie and Johnny struggles with the guilt of his ego forcing them all into that situation. Also there will be an anime-inspired game of field-hockey that will go on for three chapters.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Now this might sound outrageous, but I think Ed's gonna enter spirit mode and move a little bit out of the way of the bat.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Countblanc posted:

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be cool anyway once we find out Johnny's reasons for pulling his punches.

He's been not really feelin' it since Max got injured deflecting a blow aimed at him. He first talks about it on this page and the one after it, and we see more evidence of it here and the page after that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't know when he made the change but clicking a page now displays the title text instead of taking you to the next page and I really appreciate it. :)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://t.co/tuRTXsfd2o

kill six billion demons children

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Well I don't know what I was expecting but "Ed goes mad with power" wasn't it

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Image text: ed you've killed him

Arts Platinum may be the best role model I've ever seen.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Wow, I was actually right about something!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Rand Brittain posted:

Wow, I was actually right about something!

Well, almost right. More right than everyone else!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Good poo poo Ed.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
There is nothing I don't love about this page.

Including Ed meditating under a cold shower, and Johnny's "what what what".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm dying right now

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
JUDOOOOO THR-oh.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Reach Detention Through Violence

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Watch Ed actually go off to beat up one million children.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
This was not how I was expecting this confrontation to go.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just realized that Muse actually got Ed's name right for once.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The child delights in violence.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
And then Ed was the bullies

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I'm surprised by this development in the best way possible.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I mean he actually is trained by a karate grandpa and fights ghosts on the reg, good to see that translates to daily life. Also funny that his green energy aura is doing the typical anime business of flaring with his ~unleashed power~ but only he can see it.

Still, none of those beats give away that he's a ghost-fighter. Even if Ed gets away though Johnny's got to be wondering who's been training all these nerds to fight / shoot lightning / fly.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
All this is leading to Forge waking up comparatively very soon, as it would be super thematically appropriate for that giant bushido nerd* to school Johnny on all the weird feelings about honour and violence and stuff he's been having today.

*this is shorthand for "has ideals about fighting and junk" please don't feel the need to sperg out about the actual philosophical school to which Forge might subscribe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The sanctioned Act is to bully.