Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

Cheaper Seibu Kaihatsu games for the rest of us with decent taste. If I get a cab or supergun I need Raiden DX back.

I really wish the games that ran on the Raiden Fighters hardware didn't have such a strange refresh rate that they flat out refuse to work on a TV and you pretty much need a cab/arcade monitor for them, I really wish I could own and play Viper Phase 1 since it's never gotten ported to anything and it's amazing. I do have the original Raiden and it's one of the boards I play the most, Seibu rules.

edit: gotta admit to not loving the majority of konami shooters, gradius in particular. I make up for this sin with an unhealthy amount of love for irem/r-type

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Ambitious Spider posted:

Einhander really needs to get released on psn. I didn't like it when I came out, but that was before I got into shmups.

It's been on the PS3 Jpn store for years.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've always been a Darius fan but I can't deny the appeal of Parodius.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

edit: gotta admit to not loving the majority of konami shooters, gradius in particular.

I want so badly to like Gradius and its ilk (I own a surprisingly large number of Konami shooters for someone who doesn't), but it always comes down to accumulating all the right powerups and hoping you don't gently caress up. Dying once is effectively a game over in most of them.

Ultimately, I don't think I'm much of a fan of shmups as a genre. I'll always carry a torch for Radiant Silvergun because in my eyes it's the rare example of a game that does everything right, but beyond that I honestly couldn't tell you what my favorite shmups are—at least in the sense of games that I truly enjoy playing rather than games I recognize are well-crafted but ultimately aren't really my thing. Maybe Megamania on Atari 2600 for the cool enemy wave patterns and nostalgia factor. I remember liking Super R-Type a lot, but I tried playing it again recently, and there is no loving way I beat this without a Game Genie.

Edit: Oh, Gyruss, of course. Arcade or NES version. Gyruss loving rules.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 19, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The best-kept secret about Konami's arcade output is that most of it isn't very good.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

d0s posted:

yeah there is tons of arcade stuff that is still totally affordable, even a bunch of good shooters. I have 17 boards not counting MVS carts and most of them were under $100. Most of the games I have never even made it to consoles or did so in extremely gimped fashion. I agree with al-azad that buying expensive console games now is kind of pointless unless you just enjoy collecting for the sake of it as there are flash carts and CD burning solutions that give you a 100% authentic experience on real hardware, for the vast majority of arcade games that's impossible (though there are great MVS multicarts and some solutions for other systems like taito g-net).

al-azad, get an account on klov forums and browse their selling forum and make want ads, that's where the deals are if you're in the US. shmups forum (even if you're not looking for shmups) and neo-geo forum (even if you're not looking for neo-geo) also have pretty good markets for general arcade stuff.

edit: can I just mention that I hate that snobbery of "worthwhile shooters" being the same 10 cave/raizing games that cost ridiculous money? there is so much more to that world than those games.

I wish I had the space or justification for an arcade cabinet.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Oh you reminded me I was in San Francisco earlier this month and went somewhere cool

If you watch GCCX you've probably seen the palace. It's a free museum of the largest collection of ancient coin operated games I know of.

"Oh, metal slug"

And why I remembered just now I got to play this

Which was fun and made me think of you d0s

And then there was this

Which I figured was going to be incredibly racist. I rolled the dice. They just fart for a minute straight and it's over.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

flyboi posted:

And then there was this

Which I figured was going to be incredibly racist. I rolled the dice. They just fart for a minute straight and it's over.

Oh drat, it's a GBS simulator :eyepop:

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The best-kept secret about Konami's arcade output is that most of it isn't very good.

I will not see Bucky O'Hare and Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa so casually dismissed.

You know, I like Konami's Aliens arcade game a lot. Not as much as Capcom's Alien vs. Predator, but there aren't many arcade games that I lIke as much as Alien vs. Predator.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

flyboi posted:

How old is this because I can certainly imagine someone in the 40s fainting at farting cowboys.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

flyboi posted:

And then there was this

Is it to the tune of Turkey in the Straw or something, or just regular farting?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Rollersnake posted:

Is it to the tune of Turkey in the Straw or something, or just regular farting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lySCx4pew1g

I dunno how old it is, they didn't have signs up to say where machines came from

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

d0s posted:

I really wish the games that ran on the Raiden Fighters hardware didn't have such a strange refresh rate that they flat out refuse to work on a TV and you pretty much need a cab/arcade monitor for them, I really wish I could own and play Viper Phase 1 since it's never gotten ported to anything and it's amazing. I do have the original Raiden and it's one of the boards I play the most, Seibu rules.

edit: gotta admit to not loving the majority of konami shooters, gradius in particular. I make up for this sin with an unhealthy amount of love for irem/r-type

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpJ8PULwBo8
Blast from the 2009 past :getin:

Sexy Parodius is flat out super fun as much as I detest those respawn systems, Thunder Cross 1 and 2 simply feel great, that's about it for Konami. Darius Gaiden F3 boards are high in cost based on rarity here, there's like one collector in the entire country with one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

The best Konami shooter is Time Pilot. :colbert:

Kid Fenris posted:

I will not see Bucky O'Hare and Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa so casually dismissed.

You know, I like Konami's Aliens arcade game a lot. Not as much as Capcom's Alien vs. Predator, but there aren't many arcade games that I lIke as much as Alien vs. Predator.

I agree that most of Konami's arcade output is not very good, particularly their beat-'em-ups which are just lifeless, Aliens is a big exception. It's keeps things moving, has a huge variety of enemies, lots of weapons getting thrown around. The bosses are more damage spongy then they need to be, which is essentially Konami's method of draining quarters from pockets at the time.

Other good Konami arcade games: Sunset Riders.... uh.... er.... Oh yeah, they made a bunch of arcade rhythm games in the late 90's! Those!

Actually, I like Konami's arcade shooters, but I also accept that they're not for everyone and they're especially punishing in a way that a a game design really shouldn't.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

flyboi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lySCx4pew1g

I dunno how old it is, they didn't have signs up to say where machines came from

Either it's old enough to have inspired a scene in Blazing Saddles, or young enough to reference a scene in Blazing Saddles.

Yes, there is only room for one person to think of cowboys farting by a campfire.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

The best Konami shooter is Time Pilot. :colbert:

I agree that most of Konami's arcade output is not very good, particularly their beat-'em-ups which are just lifeless, Aliens is a big exception. It's keeps things moving, has a huge variety of enemies, lots of weapons getting thrown around. The bosses are more damage spongy then they need to be, which is essentially Konami's method of draining quarters from pockets at the time.

Other good Konami arcade games: Sunset Riders.... uh.... er.... Oh yeah, they made a bunch of arcade rhythm games in the late 90's! Those!

Actually, I like Konami's arcade shooters, but I also accept that they're not for everyone and they're especially punishing in a way that a a game design really shouldn't.

I will always have a soft spot for old rear end Konami shooters. Scramble was the first arcade game I "beat" as a kid, and I like how Gradius etc. is kind of a evolution of that, even though it has a lot of balance problems with powerups like somebody said above.

Also Pooyan is pretty sweet.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

And why I remembered just now I got to play this

Which was fun and made me think of you d0s

The screen here is similar to the one in my cab (a really old and busted SFII I got for $100 from a friend when I was in high school), playing something like Raiden on it is no longer fun once I experienced this:

death to america

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Elliotw2 posted:

If you don't live in the UK, you don't have an option. All NTSC Wii's only ouput composite or component. You can get a converter for Component to SCART though that should work on your monitor if yours doesn't have any component ports but does support the standard.

No, I live in Europe, so it's a PAL Wii.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

falz posted:

I think I have two VA4s if those are the ones with the stubby motherboard visible from the bottom. I'm actively using one now but the reset button doesn't work, I need to tshoot this first to see if I need to switch to the other. No promises on a timeline here I guess, but maybe later.

Yeah, VA4 are these guys. Metal plate stops halfway-ish, and two square ventilation holes on the plate itself. If you have two of these I would buy one even if the reset button is broken :henget:

Kthulhu5000 posted:

You could put up a WTB ad in SA-Mart, or on one of the bigger enthusiast boards (SHMUPS, maybe?). Otherwise, you'll either have to pester the hell out of sellers and hope they're willing to respond and go to the trouble, or roll the dice on various purchases. I think the VA4 version of the Model 2 had a short motherboard that didn't expand out under the ventilation slots, if that helps? I could be wrong, and not really care if I am, since I have no love for the Model 2 Genny anyway :colbert: .

I will try both of these suggestions. I know Model 1 is technically better but i am hard nostalgic for Model 2.

In unrelated news I am moving to California and I am super hype to be near a Round1 and Book Offs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

URL grey tea posted:

In unrelated news I am moving to California and I am super hype to be near a Round1 and Book Offs.

Flying to LA myself on Wednesday and I hope to hit a Book Off before I fly back. I'm not holding out much hope for anything pre-PS2 but I've had good luck at even the LA ones before so who knows?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Does Round 1 have older games? I always heard it was great for people into new fighters, music games, initial d/wangan midnight but not so much for older stuff, but I've never been to one.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
They have stuff like Dodonpachi tucked away in corners at Round1. It's not their primary focus but you can find a few things here and there.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
It depends entirely on the Round 1, the one in Illinois is pretty exclusively newer stuff.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

They seem to be expanding a lot, hopefully they bring one to south florida, we used to have a bunch of good arcades but most have closed down or fallen into disrepair

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

They seem to be expanding a lot, hopefully they bring one to south florida, we used to have a bunch of good arcades but most have closed down or fallen into disrepair

I cried when they tore down Grand Prix Race-o-rama.

I was joking about that, then I googled this to see what was still there since I remembered that they still had a few things and I found out they tore down the rollercoaster.

Edit: And I found out that was the second time that it was torn down. It was actually demolished in the mid-60's to make room for the 595-95 interchange and moved to the Dania site that I knew for decades. They also tore down my great-grandparents' house for that...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 20, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

You don't by chance remember Bigfoot's Arcade in Sunrise, do you? That was my childhood arcade, and it must have closed sometime in the late '90s (I remember them having Street Fighter 3 one of the last times I visited, and they for sure didn't last into the DDR era).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Caitlin posted:

It depends entirely on the Round 1, the one in Illinois is pretty exclusively newer stuff.

They had some form of Gradius when I was there last month... on a Viewlix cab :saddowns:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I cried when they tore down Grand Prix Race-o-rama.

I was joking about that, then I googled this to see what was still there since I remembered that they still had a few things and I found out they tore down the rollercoaster.

Edit: And I found out that was the second time that it was torn down. It was actually demolished in the mid-60's to make room for the 595-95 interchange and moved to the Dania site that I knew for decades. They also tore down my great-grandparents' house for that...

Grand Prix changed their name to Boomer's and lasted for quite a while and their arcade was shockingly good, but poorly maintained. That was my place for Giga Wing, Raystorm, a Raiden game I can't remember, Prop Cycle, Battle Gear 3, Planet Harriers, and various fighters as the FGC scene there was fantastic.

Rollersnake posted:

You don't by chance remember Bigfoot's Arcade in Sunrise, do you? That was my childhood arcade, and it must have closed sometime in the late '90s (I remember them having Street Fighter 3 one of the last times I visited, and they for sure didn't last into the DDR era).

I think they had moved at some point because I remember an arcade near where Google says they were but on the east side of University Drive and a bit further north (by commercial blvd) that I used to go to in the mid-late 90's. Tons of old golden age stuff, a Raystorm machine that was one of the first machines I really spent time trying to clear/score on, all the typical mid-90's fighters, etc. I remember playing a ton of Daytona USA there too. My place for SF3 when that came out was Blockbuster golf and games in Plantation by 595 though (where ikea is now), but I think I do remember that place on University getting it quite a bit later and then closing down soon after.

Blockbuster golf&games was a crazy place with one of those full size Ridge Racer setups with the real Miata you sit in, R360 and Virtuality stuff and a pretty great selection of normal cabs. I miss all these places a lot

edit:

flyboi posted:

They had some form of Gradius when I was there last month... on a Viewlix cab :saddowns:

I saw this sort of atrocity committed a few times in japanese arcades and I think we're gonna see it more and more as CRTs die with nothing else to replace them :smith:

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 20, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

I think they had moved at some point because I remember an arcade near where Google says they were but on the east side of University Drive and a bit further north (by commercial blvd) that I used to go to in the mid-late 90's. Tons of old golden age stuff, a Raystorm machine that was one of the first machines I really spent time trying to clear/score on, all the typical mid-90's fighters, etc. I remember playing a ton of Daytona USA there too. My place for SF3 when that came out was Blockbuster golf and games in Plantation by 595 though (where ikea is now), but I think I do remember that place on University getting it quite a bit later and then closing down soon after.

I remember Bigfoot's moving at some point too, and I think both locations were on University, but it's been so long. I don't remember them having Raystorm, but it's not the sort of game that would have caught my eye back then. I first went there around 1990, and I was obsessed with Robocop and Ninja Turtles. After fighters got big, I remember them having Samurai Shodown and Super Street Fighter 2 on large screens, side by side, along with eye-catchingly awful stuff like Time Killers. I played a whole lot of Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder there. As far as golden age stuff, I specifically remember Asteroids, Joust, Bubbles, and Galaga and Tron side by side—which somehow got combined in my memory into a game called Galagan, and I was deeply confused years later when I couldn't find any record of this game I swore totally existed.

quote:

Blockbuster golf&games was a crazy place with one of those full size Ridge Racer setups with the real Miata you sit in, R360 and Virtuality stuff and a pretty great selection of normal cabs. I miss all these places a lot

Yessss, Blockbuster Golf & Games! I couldn't remember the name of that place, but I loved going there. Probably more for the mini golf, though, as I can't recall anything specific about the arcade.

Edit: I was about to PM you to reminisce about South Florida childhoods, but I see I already did this two years ago and forgot about it. :lol:

I'm lucky enough to live pretty close to the best arcade I've seen since the '90s right now. It helps make living in Arkansas bearable.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 20, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

As far as golden age stuff, I specifically remember Asteroids, Joust, Bubbles, and Galaga and Tron side by side

Holy poo poo yeah I remember this exact thing, I remember playing Bubbles a lot weirdly. The location I remember had like a ball pit thing and next to it was a sit-down Turbo cab which I loved because I had it on Colecovision.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

I remember Bigfoot's moving at some point too, and I think both locations were on University, but it's been so long. I don't remember them having Raystorm, but it's not the sort of game that would have caught my eye back then. I first went there around 1990, and I was obsessed with Robocop and Ninja Turtles. After fighters got big, I remember them having Samurai Shodown and Super Street Fighter 2 on large screens, side by side, along with eye-catchingly awful stuff like Time Killers. I played a whole lot of Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder there. As far as golden age stuff, I specifically remember Asteroids, Joust, Bubbles, and Galaga and Tron side by side—which somehow got combined in my memory into a game called Galagan, and I was deeply confused years later when I couldn't find any record of this game I swore totally existed.

I never went to Bigfoot's very often, but I definitely remember playing Time Killers and Bloodstorm there. Not the games for a good impression. :v:

Rollersnake posted:

Yessss, Blockbuster Golf & Games! I couldn't remember the name of that place, but I loved going there. Probably more for the mini golf, though, as I can't recall anything specific about the arcade.

I went to Blockbuster Golf and Games exactly once and got some severe sticker shock on how much they charged for playing anything. There's a reason they only lasted a year or two.

I was surprised by the Ikea there the last time I was back in South Florida. I used to work in the industrial park behind the site so every day as I cycled into work I'd pass the fire department doing their training exercises in abandoned Golf and Games parking lot.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

Grand Prix changed their name to Boomer's and lasted for quite a while and their arcade was shockingly good, but poorly maintained. That was my place for Giga Wing, Raystorm, a Raiden game I can't remember, Prop Cycle, Battle Gear 3, Planet Harriers, and various fighters as the FGC scene there was fantastic.

I vaguely remember Boomer's, and I doubt I went there more than once or twice. Like a lot of people, I mostly stopped going to arcades once consoles could offer a comparable or better experience. I first played DDR at the Gameworks at Sawgrass Mills, and even that I played at home/the dorms almost exclusively. Never even considered that arcades might vanish altogether, or that I'd really miss them.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I went to Blockbuster Golf and Games exactly once and got some severe sticker shock on how much they charged for playing anything. There's a reason they only lasted a year or two.

What I remember was normal cabinet games costed 25-50cents a game depending on how old they were, but anything with special cabinets was pretty expensive at $1.00+ (with some stuff like R360 and Virtuality being ludicrously priced). If you want to talk about expensive arcade games, go to Japan. Everything in those candy cabs is 100 yen (about $1.00) a play in Tokyo, unless you go way out to Nerima and play at ebi-sen where everything is 50 yen. In the Kansai region stuff becomes cheaper, you see most candy cab games being either 50 yen a play (a-cho in Kyoto, the good Taito Station in Osaka Denden Town) or two credits for 100 yen (Sega AVION Osaka). The Denden Taito Station also has a few games like Sonic Wings 1 and Mushihimesama at a shockingly low 10yen a play but you have to pay with an IC card like Suica or Pasmo.

Thinking about exactly how much money I must have pumped into arcade machines there kind of freaks me out, when coins valued around a dollar look and feel like quarters you don't really think about what you're doing :v:

edit: though I think the price is part of the reason arcades in Japan survive, and also give a better experience. You're paying quite a bit to play the game but you get your money's worth with the quality of the screen, controls, comfort, and "service" like autofire controls at every machine that could use them and in some arcades a guy who will swap boards to other games on a list. I think 100yen has always been the default cost for an arcade game there, the way 25cents has been here.

edit2: a significant number of older Japanese arcade games also default to an easier setting than the US versions of the same games so the play time is typically longer

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 20, 2016

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I've been using a RetroPie setup for my retro needs, but I keep noticing some input latency with the Wii U Pro pad that I have. Anyone else see this? I got that cheap SNES-like USB pad to test out but its junk because it has phantom inputs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Crimson Harvest posted:

I've been using a RetroPie setup for my retro needs, but I keep noticing some input latency with the Wii U Pro pad that I have. Anyone else see this? I got that cheap SNES-like USB pad to test out but its junk because it has phantom inputs.

I've only used a 360 wireless pad on my RPi1 but I didn't notice any delay personally. I realize this isn't especially helpful, sorry.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I've only used a 360 wireless pad on my RPi1 but I didn't notice any delay personally. I realize this isn't especially helpful, sorry.

That has an external dongle right? I wonder if the built-in bluetooth isn't so hot.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm glad someone out there appreciates the lynx as much as playstation and gba

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Finally got extensions for the NES Classic and now I can blast mega mens in the comfort of my bed. :feelsgood:

also

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh drat, it's a GBS simulator :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Finally got extensions for the NES Classic and now I can blast mega mens in the comfort of my bed. :feelsgood:

also

Did you get the same controller extension cables I did that have a cable hook overhanging the second-player slot on the Mini?

• Locked thread