Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nemo07 posted:

Lol my Kadabra didn't learn Confusion like it was probably supposed to when it evolved from Abra so it won't learn a damaging move for another 5 levels. The move relearner isn't until the 3rd island as well. :shepicide:

Hopefully it learns it next level?

It's on the 3rd island, but not in an area accessible until the very end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow, it was 29 hatched before I got a lady owl.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Poni Island spoilers:
Exeggutor Island should be called "We know you ditched your Charjabug a long while ago but brought it back to evolve it but now it's awfully underlevelled so we made this specific place where it can one-shot a variety of pokemon and catch up relatively fast" Island. And I am thankful for that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Nemo07 posted:

Lol my Kadabra didn't learn Confusion like it was probably supposed to when it evolved from Abra so it won't learn a damaging move for another 5 levels. The move relearner isn't until the 3rd island as well. :shepicide:

Hopefully it learns it next level?

Yeah, your Kadabra got screwed because of a bug. It can't learn Confusion unless you go to a move relearner.

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, your Kadabra got screwed because of a bug. It can't learn Confusion unless you go to a move relearner.

How wonderful. Good thing I have a few back ups for my Psychic team member. Just to rub salt in the wound, it DID learn Kinesis when it evolved.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Okay, I'm about to fight the second Kahuna, and I was wondering if anyone found a use for the Strange Souvenir you can buy at the department store.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ethiser posted:

There are a ton things like that in the game that serve as sequal hooks for a potential SuMo 2 and I'm going to be bummed out if we don't get them.

I just hope the Archeops don't learn to open doors

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Pyroi posted:

Okay, I'm about to fight the second Kahuna, and I was wondering if anyone found a use for the Strange Souvenir you can buy at the department store.

I had a friend speculate that it was just a reference to the person who gave you one in XY, but I bought one anyway. It doesn't seem to do anything though.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I just hope the Archeops don't learn to open doors

You know how smart some birds are? Now imagine them still having hands to open doors with.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
One nice thing about having played Pokemon for the entire length of the franchise is that I only need to worry about catching the new Pokemon and Alola forms, plus whatever people want me to catch for those bounties, some extras for when people want to check my Pokedex numbers, and so on. Of course, that last bit means I still need to hunt for FEEBAS. :argh:

Though, actually, I think this is the first time I've ever bothered to catch one.

EDIT: No more than five minutes after posting this, a Feebas showed up and I caught it, guess complaining about problems does solve them sometimes.

Pyroi posted:

You could get that same item in X and Y from a tourist, so maybe there's some sort of connection there.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 20, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All the new things look so loving good in motion

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Dr. Fetus posted:

I had this exact thing happen to me as well.

Am I doomed to have it happen to me every time I evolve one or is it random?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I love every individual member of my team, but my team overall is pretty bad. Lots of rock and flying weakness, I should probably drop my Trumbeak. Crabrawler is a surprise favorite though!
I'm trying to use only new pokemon, but it feels like if I did that I wouldn't have any special attackers.

Overall, I'm really loving this game.

cheetah7071 posted:

All the new things look so loving good in motion

And a lot of the old things! Drowzee is really, really creepy, for example.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Astroniomix posted:

I had this exact thing happen to me as well.

Am I doomed to have it happen to me every time I evolve one or is it random?

It's always going to happen when you evolve an Abra.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
welcome to the team Primarina, goodbye Brionne

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just battled some girls to stop them from sexually harassing a machamp, what the gently caress

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

cheetah7071 posted:

I just battled some girls to stop them from sexually harassing a machamp, what the gently caress

:chloe:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i really like lillie and her story. very good.

best pokemon companion.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Afterwards it turned out to be a guy in a Machamp costume who was only pretending to be uncomfortable, what the double gently caress

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The bug that affects Kadabra works something like this:

If a pokemon knows less than four moves when it evolves, and there's a move in the evolved form's move list that's supposed to be learned at the same level as the evolution, then it instead won't. I think it learns something from its level 0 move list instead, if it has one.

Abra only learns Teleport, so it'll have only one move before evolving. Kadabra is supposed to learn Confusion at the same level it evolves at, but it doesn't.

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013

Pakled posted:

It's always going to happen when you evolve an Abra.

I really hope they fix that soon since now Abra is more of a hassle to raise than god drat Magikarp. At least the fish learns Tackle eventually.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

If a pokemon knows less than four moves when it evolves, and there's a move in the evolved form's move list that's supposed to be learned at the same level as the evolution, then it instead won't. I think it learns something from its level 0 move list instead, if it has one.

Abra only learns Teleport, so it'll have only one move before evolving. Kadabra is supposed to learn Confusion at the same level it evolves at, but it doesn't.

So genuine question here as a new 3ds owner. Can games be patched?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Bongo Bill posted:

Is anything else affected by this?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Lana is so thirsty.

Has anyone used Washiwashi? Is it any fun to use?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Consummate Professional posted:

yes, though nintendo doesn't do it super often.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nemo07 posted:

I really hope they fix that soon since now Abra is more of a hassle to raise than god drat Magikarp. At least the fish learns Tackle eventually.

I hope we get a patch to fix it. It seems especially lovely since Abra's catchable super early in this game and a lot of people are gonna be pissed when they lug it around the first island only to find it's useless for 5 more levels (yes hello I am one of those saps who leveled my Abra up without using exp share only to be disappointed when it evolved)

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Yes. XY had a few of them, including one to fix a critical bug in not-Paris.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

yes, though nintendo doesn't do it super often.

I mean this is kind of a flagship franchise so I would hope so

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

I mean this is kind of a flagship franchise so I would hope so

It's not really gamebreaking or anything, though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yes, even physical copies. X and Y received several patches, including one that was rolled out very quickly to correct a save-corrupting bug if you saved your game in a certain area. This one's not game-breaking and there's a workaround (take them to the Move Relearner, or just give them a TM move) (I don't know where the Move Relearner is), so they may not release it at maximum speed.

If your game is out of date, it'll prevent you from going online, and the patch is downloaded through the eshop (again, even if you got the physical copy) (if you got a physical copy, you'll need to download the patch on every system that you play the game on).

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is anything else affected by this?

Anything that is supposed to learn a move at the same level it evolves is theoretically susceptible, but in practice only ones that evolve from pokemon that don't learn any moves will have trouble. Off the top of my head, I think Magikarp->Gyarados, Beldum->Metang, and maybe Tynamo->Eelektrik are also at risk. Maybe some others. I hope that the game will be patched before I can verify it for myself.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I evolved Magikarp to Gyarados at level 20 and I got Bite which I think is what you're supposed to get at that level so that one's fine.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just got the game, am deciding what to call myself. Is this like XY where you have a "nickname" as well as your "regular" name, or do you just have one name like every other game?

Been a while since I played a Pokemon game; while I technically have Y and OR I barely played either. Really excited about this one though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Solumin posted:

Lana is so thirsty.

Seriously, I was caught off guard

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Just got the game, am deciding what to call myself. Is this like XY where you have a "nickname" as well as your "regular" name, or do you just have one name like every other game?

Just the one name.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I am really not liking the SOS mechanic. It's making catching things a severe pain in the rear end

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pakled posted:

I evolved Magikarp to Gyarados at level 20 and I got Bite which I think is what you're supposed to get at that level so that one's fine.

Oh, well that's good. Maybe it is just Abra after all.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Solumin posted:

Lana is so thirsty.

Has anyone used Washiwashi? Is it any fun to use?

It's a slugger. Oh and its ability kicks in at level 20, so you won't be stuck with the shrimp for long. It doesn't have the greatest of movepools, so you're gonna have to mix in both physical and special moves.

Bongo Bill posted:

Oh, well that's good. Maybe it is just Abra after all.

Bite is a level 0 move. Gyarados doesn't learn anything at level 20. Unfortunately, it also gets screwed out of Thrash, since that is also a level 0 move since only one of those can be learned at a time for some reason.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 20, 2016

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I am really not liking the SOS mechanic. It's making catching things a severe pain in the rear end

Pokemon can call for help while Asleep. Shenanigans.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I keep seeing Stuffuls that belong to other people, but have never been able to find one in the wild! I gave up trying to find one on route 8. Is it only in a certain patch of grass?

My team is pretty great as is, but I do need a Stufful. I ran across a lady with 8 of them! Why can't I just have one of hers?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wishiwashi isn't bad, and I wanna use mine more, but he's instantly outclassed by the waterspider you can get in the exact same area who hilariously gets a bonus on top of STAB for water moves and has a better movepool to pick from.

Still now that my spider's leveled up I'm gonna experiment with Wishiwashi. Anyone messed around with the coward shrimp thing? I can't even catch one let alone tinker with it to know if it's worth leveling to evolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

Pokemon can call for help while Asleep. Shenanigans.

My favorite so far is knocking out the helper and immediately having another one spawn in