Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I have not been this scared by an episode for a while. I think it's because I watched a lot of episodes on my tiny phone. Combine that with this hospital level, and I was on the edge of my seat. Shiro, though, deserves everything that's coming to him. He deserves this level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Did not like that corpse jiggle.

Nope.

N
O
P
E.

Nope.

In other news, I feel more concerned for the Onda sisters (since we are starting to see that Shibito's retain a fair amount of themselves, if Akira is anything to go by) now that they are incapacitated and alone with Shiro, than I am concerned for... most of the rest of the cast, jesus.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yep, Shiro seems to be one creepy motherfucker, even before this whole undead thing even started then.

Oh, and a belated congratulations to SGF for finally purging both NightCry and XBLIG forever, :v:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Wait, we picked up that humongous EKG machine but we didn't use it on anything?

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
In regards to the speculation about Kei, one of the things you did unlocked an objective for him on Day 3 right? I'm assuming the player doesn't eventually play as a shibito...

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Shiro is such an rear end in a top hat, I kinda love it. It's like he wandered in from a Silent Hill game or something.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm apparently an idiot with the memory span of a shibito. Can someone explain to why is Shiro a bad guy?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

No Gravitas posted:

I'm apparently an idiot with the memory span of a shibito. Can someone explain to why is Shiro a bad guy?

Yeah, I probably need an explanation too. And how is the hole he wakes up nearby with the bloody footsteps a sign contributing to him being evil (did he bury Mina in that hole?) ?

I thought that he was the one that Miyako hit with a stick, but according to the synopsis in the first page, that was someone named Jun Kajiro (did we see that person again?)

I think the only signs that Shiro is stupid and maybe evil(!) is his discussion with Kei about the ceremony (?)

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yes, what SGF implies, is that, for whatever reason, before all of this started, Shiro killed Mina and buried her body in that hole that we saw in Shiro's first stage. That's why he freaked out when he suddenly woke up and saw that the hole was empty.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

AbstractNapper posted:

Yeah, I probably need an explanation too. And how is the hole he wakes up nearby with the bloody footsteps a sign contributing to him being evil (did he bury Mina in that hole?) ?
After the siren sounds, Shiro wakes up next to a hole in the middle of the woods, with footsteps leading away from it. He's confused and shocked.

He tracks down a nurse's shoe and recognizes it, seems bemused by it all.

He strangles Risa and tells her "you even look alike in death".

[insert a Deadly Premonition profiling montage here]

Shiro killed Mina and was in the middle of burying her when poo poo went down and the dead rose.

AbstractNapper posted:

I thought that he was the one that Miyako hit with a stick, but according to the synopsis in the first page, that was someone named Jun Kajiro (did we see that person again?)
We haven't seen Jun since that scene.

e;fb :qq:

ALSO, in her letter to Risa (which Kyoya finds on the roof), Mina tells her "there's someone I'd like to introduce you to...", implying that her and Shiro were dating, or seeing each other or banging or something like that. Maybe both of them had a different view on how serious it was.

Snoop Radley fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 18, 2016

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Wait. Shiro strangles Risa? I thought it was implied that her sister killed her and she already seemed to be a Shibito (albeit she does gets the bloody eyes while he tries to strangle her) and attacking him (well technically, not attacking but trying to hug him, but in a really creepy shibito-like way)...

But yeah, the "even in death" comment is not making a good case for him

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 18, 2016

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Plus the vision Mina shares with Risa shows a guy in white reaching scarily towards the camera. The "even in death" line also doesn't make much sense otherwise, considering when we first met Mina she was already all tentacle-faced.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Forgall posted:

Shiro is such an rear end in a top hat, I kinda love it. It's like he wandered in from a Silent Hill game or something.
I thought his voice acting was initially annoying but that British snarky guy voice really suits his character once you start to get a better feel for what kind of a person he is.

AbstractNapper posted:

Wait. Shiro strangles Risa? I thought it was implied that her sister killed her and she already seemed to be a Shibito (albeit she does gets the bloody eyes while he tries to strangle her) and attacking him (well technically, not attacking but trying to hug him, but in a really creepy shibito-like way)...
Pretty sure she's a shibito by that point, yes. I didn't mean he strangles her to death, I meant he puts his hands on her throat and brings up Mina while he's doing it, as if the act itself jogs his memory.

Snoop Radley fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 18, 2016

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Snoop Radley posted:

I thought his voice acting was initially annoying but that British snarky guy voice really suits his character once you start to get a better feel for what kind of a person he is.
That "oh just leave me alone" line is great. He's just annoyed at undead abomination coming for him. :allears:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I may be wrong but I had thought after watching that Risa wasn't fully transformed until she was strangled. Her eyes were black, strangling happened, tears of blood, and then she started to laugh like shibito do.

Edit: Spoilers are for those that haven't watched the video yet

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Forgall posted:

God, yes. I wanted to mention that. The entire scene with the coffin could have been ripped wholesale out of a Silent Hill game. Creepy camera angle, unsettling dialogue, doing things that don't make any sense while the character is completely nonplussed by the whole situation, and the loving corpse wiggle is the cherry on top.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

RickVoid posted:

and the loving corpse wiggle is the cherry on top.
Although in this game and at this point who didn't expect the corpse to wiggle? I fully expected some (possibly new type and even weirder) Shibito to tear the bag and jump out of it or at least start laughing maniacally like Shibito do.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
maybe this is foreshadowing that to defeat the shibito you just need to tie every single one up really, really tight and then lay them down so they can't hop after you.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
We've certainly never met a shibito who still shows big wounds or anything lethally embedded in their body. We pretty much only bludgeon or shoot, that I can think of. No stabbing/impaling/chopping off bits.
Could be that they might heal around something like a knife and pull it out or could be that if you kept it in there it would prevent the damage from healing and the shibito from recovering.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Shirec posted:

I may be wrong but I had thought after watching that Risa wasn't fully transformed until she was strangled. Her eyes were black, strangling happened, tears of blood, and then she started to laugh like shibito do.

Edit: Spoilers are for those that haven't watched the video yet

This is actually 100% correct.

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

It's kinda looking like no one is going to survive this game, or that they are all awful people who are already dead and in some sort of hell dimension.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The more I think about this, the more I feel like the dev team had played Silent Hill and wanted to make a game like it. You've got the remote town, everything is dark and foreboding, everyone you encounter is threatening, town seems to have been move away from where it used to be, etc.

Need to get Kamoc and Voidburger in here to determine whether Hanuda is an example of Silent Hill manifesting in Japan.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RickVoid posted:

The more I think about this, the more I feel like the dev team had played Silent Hill and wanted to make a game like it. You've got the remote town, everything is dark and foreboding, everyone you encounter is threatening, town seems to have been move away from where it used to be, etc.

Need to get Kamoc and Voidburger in here to determine whether Hanuda is an example of Silent Hill manifesting in Japan.

This was designed by the guy that designed SH1.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

RickVoid posted:

The more I think about this, the more I feel like the dev team had played Silent Hill and wanted to make a game like it.

The creator of Siren is the same guy who created Silent Hill.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, "played Silent Hill" is a funny way of saying "made Silent Hill".

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
That guy has a real command of how to establish mood and atmosphere, that's for drat sure.

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

This game is real creepy and kinda depressing. I don't think I would enjoy playing it, but it is interesting to watch.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well poo poo.

Guess I should have bothered to check before saying anything.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
But it does bear mentioning this is a fantastic glimpse at American Small Town Horror and Japanese Small Town Horror. The side by side comparisons and contrasts are fun to think about.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

This is actually 100% correct.

So, wait... does that mean that Risa's transformation could have been avoided/delayed if Shiro hadn't strangled her? :confused:

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

I always assumed Risa begun to turn because Mina had turned, not because she got killed by her. They've clearly got some kind of a psychic twin link going on, after all. Shiro just sealed the deal because if you're in the process of turning, death shoves you over the edge for good.

(I don't think we need to spoiler things from the latest video this far into the thread, it's mostly a problem if the posts right after the update blurt out something because they're displayed on the screen at the same time)

The psychic twin link is probably also why shibito Risa is fixated on Shiro the same way Mina is.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Naoko, the TV host, is actually from Hanuda. It seems like the red waters have healing powers, but I'm willing to bet that overexposure (or maybe just exposure, period) is somehow linked to the shibito transformation

She actually isn't. She just was featured in a few magazines that found their way up here.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Iceclaw posted:

She actually isn't. She just was featured in a few magazines that found their way up here.

No, I'm pretty sure the game confirmed that she used to be a resident of Hanuda, at least during her childhood.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Melomane Mallet posted:

So, wait... does that mean that Risa's transformation could have been avoided/delayed if Shiro hadn't strangled her? :confused:

She was all gross and grey and trance-y. I think she was basically screwed.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Melomane Mallet posted:

as far as I know the official explanation is that risa was turning I to a shibito because she shared a steong psychic link with her shibitofied twin sister
Said sister managing to come into full contact and extabilishing a complete link basicallqy caused the transformation to speed up to a ridiculous degree
by the time shiro strangles her she was not 100% shibio in body... but she might as well have been

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Esoteric Banana posted:

that they are all awful people who are already dead and in some sort of hell dimension.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the kindergartner probably isn't Hitler.

Also, Risa cried blood? for some reason. That's a thing that happened.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DalaranJ posted:

Also, Risa cried blood? for some reason. That's a thing that happened.
Pretty much all the shibito cry blood, its part of the transformation. (i.e. Akira did it too)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's really too bad this game keeps throwing gamey objectives at you; the atmosphere is really good until you start doing nonsense for no reason, and then it loses all of that atmosphere almost immediately.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Grapplejack posted:

It's really too bad this game keeps throwing gamey objectives at you; the atmosphere is really good until you start doing nonsense for no reason, and then it loses all of that atmosphere almost immediately.
As I've said before, its weird that the crew that made such a great game like Silent Hill 1 that's still fairly accessible to this day and consistently unsettling and scary made a game as big of a mess as this one.

Were they just worried that the game would be just too short if they didn't have all the lovely second objectives? Most of the Silent Hill games are all fairly short to their advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A lot of the second objectives would have been fine if they were optional, but my understanding is they are pretty much all required, and some are just plain dumb.

• Locked thread