Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

bump_fn posted:

It was reported itt that Michigan and Wisconsin requested assistance and NYC ignored

its just like benghazi....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

blamegame posted:

holy poo poo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

blamegame posted:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

blamegame posted:

:trumppop:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

OAquinas posted:

I'd like to toss an asterisk on the ground game "sucking"--while there were obviously some batshit decisions on the national level as to where to send resources, south florida turned out people like crazy. Like, old-school shave-them-and-get-them-back-in-the-booth crazy. That the state was lost due to the west coast going "eh, gently caress her" is another issue.

Just goes to show that the tools and the data was there if motivated/the right people could get ahold of it.

By all accounts the state level parties did the best they could with the resources they had, in some cases holding their own desperate fundraisers to build their own ground games when Hillary Central ignored them.

Speaking of which, remember when people pointed out the Hillary Victory Fund - an organization that funneled money to the national DNC from the states - as proof of her strong dedication to the down ticket races? Bundling is well and good, because the state parties can't send reps to every fundraiser, but loving lol at sending the money to the DNC and hoping to be reallocated money later.

blamegame posted:

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Oh yeah I get that inflation is good for investment, especially good for debtors, and frustrating for creditors. My concern about inflation was only regarding a static increase in the min wage, which, if they know or plan for inflation to occur, the republicans may push for as a "win" for Trump's presidency, only to see the increase in wage wiped out by the coming inflation.

Inflation will be great for millennials with student loan debt, IF their wages increase with it. I'll note that the banks have spent the last eight years foreclosing on people's home and hoarding them, so they might just be ready to pull that trigger.

Sorry, I'm so used to INFLATION BAD GOLD GOOD that I get a little knee jerk sometimes. One of the sad comedy bits about the pragmatic incrementalism approach is that the $12 minimum wage was likely going to be implemented over such a long period that it would barely keep pace with inflation. Keeping pace with inflation is better than the current minimum wage situation, but way to claim progressive credit for doing basically nothing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Upon doing research I've discovered that 1996 had the lowest turnout in almost all of American history. And that was WITH Perot running. So essentially the Democrats were lucky that no good Republican came to challenge them? God drat is triangulation bullshit.

LinYutang posted:

this is more lol reporting on clinton's Most Excellent Ground Game Powered By Ada

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/799654875109949440
At the heart of the failure was the notion of the “new emerging majority.” According to this argument — pushed by, among others, John Judis and Ruy Teixeira — women, Latinos, blacks, and skilled professionals who support the Democrats were becoming the demographic majority. Thus the traditional white working-class base of the Democratic Party could be sidelined.

Demographics is desinty! :wooper:

Venom Snake posted:

Yglesias is fine. Mook can kiss my rear end

Yglesias is too neoliberal for me.

He shat on Kshama Sawant.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

punk rebel ecks posted:

Upon doing research I've discovered that 1996 had the lowest turnout in almost all of American history. And that was WITH Perot running. So essentially the Democrats were lucky that no good Republican came to challenge them? God drat is triangulation bullshit.

Demographics is desinty! :wooper:

Back in July Chuck Schumer summed it up: “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

welcome to the republican party

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

blamegame posted:

13 Months: The Secret Campaigners of Michigan

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Accretionist posted:

State and local 4ever

Do the Democrats have a city or county office? For example, I've got a [#name] County Democrats with a decent websites, meetings when I'm working and nothing really planned in terms of activism.

Let's look at New York. Solid blue. The headquarters of the democratic candidate and new minority leader. The party should be vibrant and in control. This is their webpage. Slick enough, with the main draw being one or two sentences on their policies. Wanna get involved? Well, that's harder to figure out what to do. Although this page exists, those links are just forms to fill out. They don't tell you anything else about what to do and require you to put in effort at first to even get anywhere. If you want to learn about who to talk to, you'll be tricked if you try and look for information on the leadership because that's just full of glowing biograhpies about the congresspeople. The best you got is to go to the county page and hope your county has a good webpage. Or a webpage at all. Some don't even have phone numbers or addresses listed.

So what about the republicans? The state votes Democratic every 4 years and power is deeply consolidated in NYC, a stronghold. What's their website like?

Huh look at that it's really good.
Want to know who's in charge of your area? Got it right here. Just click where you are on the map. Don't know where you are on the map? You'll learn something! Not only does it tell you who's in charge, it tells you EVERYONE who's in charge. Wanna call a representative? It's right fuckin' there. Many individual counties do not have an actual webpage, but they do have facebook accounts where they list events. All of them. At least, all of them I checked.

See how red that map is? It's cause the democrats aren't fuckin' trying. NY is rich and full of power, and the democratic party should be in ascent. But it isn't. It's confined to the big city, and even there it's complacent. What's the point of all this power if you can't actually use it to DO anything? Are the New York State democrats trying to get elected, or are they trying to pat each other on the back with money and jobs? Cause it looks like the latter.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Yglesias fuckin sucks. gently caress him, gently caress Krugman, and gently caress the rest of the #economicanxiety :smuggo: failed intellectuals.

Typical Pubbie has issued a correction as of 08:12 on Nov 20, 2016

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

At least Trump may accidentally revive local manufacturing when global trade falls apart and fracking becomes profitable again during the Iran War on Islam.

Just because there will be ovens doesn't mean they'll make anything.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Grondoth posted:

Let's look at New York. Solid blue. The headquarters of the democratic candidate and new minority leader. The party should be vibrant and in control. This is their webpage. Slick enough, with the main draw being one or two sentences on their policies. Wanna get involved? Well, that's harder to figure out what to do. Although this page exists, those links are just forms to fill out. They don't tell you anything else about what to do and require you to put in effort at first to even get anywhere. If you want to learn about who to talk to, you'll be tricked if you try and look for information on the leadership because that's just full of glowing biograhpies about the congresspeople. The best you got is to go to the county page and hope your county has a good webpage. Or a webpage at all. Some don't even have phone numbers or addresses listed.

So what about the republicans? The state votes Democratic every 4 years and power is deeply consolidated in NYC, a stronghold. What's their website like?

Want to know who's in charge of your area? Got it right here. Just click where you are on the map. Don't know where you are on the map? You'll learn something! Not only does it tell you who's in charge, it tells you EVERYONE who's in charge. Wanna call a representative? It's right fuckin' there. Many individual counties do not have an actual webpage, but they do have facebook accounts where they list events. All of them. At least, all of them I checked.

See how red that map is? It's cause the democrats aren't fuckin' trying. NY is rich and full of power, and the democratic party should be in ascent. But it isn't. It's confined to the big city, and even there it's complacent. What's the point of all this power if you can't actually use it to DO anything? Are the New York State democrats trying to get elected, or are they trying to pat each other on the back with money and jobs? Cause it looks like the latter.

this is a good as hell post.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
oxxidation lets run the nj democratic party because apparently no one else is

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/redlineQC/status/799724043087835140

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Baloogan posted:

woot, nuff

Cool fireplace.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yglesias is too neoliberal for me.

He shat on Kshama Sawant.

Is his recent non-shithead trend THAT recent then? I can't remember much about him other than Vox's moderately warm take machine.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Venom Snake posted:

Is his recent non-shithead trend THAT recent then? I can't remember much about him other than Vox's moderately warm take machine.

He used to argue in favor of privatizing libraries.

Maybe he's changed but I don't really think of him as challenging the system beyond cultural issues. He's prettymuch what a modern liberal looks like in other countries.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

woot, nuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyakI9GeYRs&t=157s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The more I think about the election the more I get shades of Wendy Davis. Tons of money poured in but was badly mismanaged. Identity politics backfired while she also ran too far to the center on issues. Delusional Democrats thinking she had a better chance than she did, etc. etc.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Grondoth posted:

Excellent :words:

As a NY resident who is not in a major city, this is exactly the situation we have. Literally the only reason NY goes blue is NYC (and Albany and Buffalo, but to a lesser degree.) The rest of the state? Solid red for the most part, barring a few outliers. In my county (Dutchess) the Dems used to have really good ground game with even actual candidates going door to door, absentee ballot initiatives, checking in on the elderly, etc. Now it's almost as if they've given up - I think a lot of the old guard have unfortunately passed away over the years and the fact the county has been pretty red for as long as I can remember may have depressed the participation.

Ulster on the other hand, which is across the river, has similar demographics as Dutchess (maybe a little less affluent) but one major city, a few college campuses, etc. They came out for Hillary and anecdotally I think their party actually showing up and doing stuff may have helped. People handing out swag at farmer's markets, etc. Just the smallest poo poo makes a difference.

The "rural" counties aren't a lost cause, but people have to do some poo poo. I hope my county party can get their act back together, and I'm hoping to help out in January when they have their meeting.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Grondoth posted:

Looks like it wouldn't be hard for a small group of concerned citizens to take some of that machinery for themselves

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grey Fox posted:

I don't agree with this. It was a big fight just to give Bernie a bigger voice in the platform creation process, and even then that was recognized as being a big compromise on both sides. The party certainly started to lean more towards the left in the final negotiated platform, but I think it still needs to be made clear that the party did not just take Bernie's positions and paste them into the party platform.

Mainly because Bernie was being a dick about the entire thing and not taking it seriously, putting up loving Jill Stein supporter Cornel West to represent him on the committee.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Mainly because Bernie was being a dick about the entire thing and not taking it seriously, putting up loving Jill Stein supporter Cornel West to represent him on the committee.

Quit marginalizing critical voices from the left. Did you learn nothing whatsoever?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So you think Hillary Clinton lost because she didn't call Barack Obama the n word enough?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Disregarding people out of hand because they broke your rules of decorum is counter productive. Cornel West is a serious figure, whether you like him or not.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
He threw his support behind Jill loving Stein. He loses the right to be treated as a serious person with serious views as soon as he looked at Crystal Healing McRussia Stooge and thought "Now this is a person whose views I trust".

Are you seriously at the point where any figure who criticizes the dems, no matter how clowning or ridiculous, needs to be treated as a very serious person? Why don't we just post Ted Rall poo poo and get it over with?

Fulchrum has issued a correction as of 13:40 on Nov 20, 2016

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

anime was right posted:

oxxidation lets run the nj democratic party because apparently no one else is

I'll help too! :)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

So basically Clinton ignored the working class like she always has and would have during her presidency.

At least Trump may accidentally revive local manufacturing when global trade falls apart and fracking becomes profitable again during the Iran War on Islam.

One county in Ohio Obama won by 40%, for Hillary's bad campaign Trump won the same county by 7%.

The fact that she had razor thin margins in Minnesota of all places also says something.

Even Obama noticed that incompetent Hillary preferred high tech ways to win the race instead of actually going out to meet and talk with voters.

quote:

Even Obama has taken a shot at the Clinton campaign ground game and its flawed “demographics as destiny” theory. At a press conference earlier this week, he said: “I won Iowa not because the demographics dictated it, but because I spent eighty-seven days going to every small town and fair and fish fry and VFW hall.”

By mid October, the bad news from the field had filtered up into some sections of the party leadership.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

These are the same Clintons who were "masters of retail politics" folks.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

(a) Is "they didn't adopt Bernie's platform wholesale because he put Cornel West on the committee which hurt their feelings, and they were totally in the right to do this" your actual serious opinion because both :psyduck: and :lol:
(b) I thought you ate a 30-day probie or something, what happened to that :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

etalian posted:

Even Obama noticed that incompetent Hillary preferred high tech ways to win the race instead of actually going out to meet and talk with voters.
One of the many teardowns I read said exactly the opposite, that Hill spent too much time with small venues talking to just a few people while Trump held huge rallies.

edit: if you counted up all the "this is why she lost" statements just generated in the week after the election you'd...have a lot of statements.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Still waiting for Fulchrum to admit even one error or that Hillary was flawed

Also yeah where the hell did that 30 day probation go

On a side note this is a really good thread guys, it's helped a lot with how I and others I know have been treating the whole Brexit thing over here and has validated my decision to stop reading the USPOL threads around May

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

One of the many teardowns I read said exactly the opposite, that Hill spent too much time with small venues talking to just a few people while Trump held huge rallies.

edit: if you counted up all the "this is why she lost" statements just generated in the week after the election you'd...have a lot of statements.

This same criticism was used against her in the primary and she won that one so she wasn't about to change the strategy for the general :shrug:

What it comes down to is that not enough people in areas the Democratic party devalues were reached, though, and bigger rallies are one of many possible ways they could have tried to fix that

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

blamegame posted:

:popeye:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Grondoth posted:

Brooklyn is the single largest Democratic county in the state (and probably the country) and they don't do poo poo on the local party level except rubber stamp letting the local boss do whatever he wants. Most the neighborhood and block rep positions aren't even filled because the process for filling those is kept intentionally opaque.

The only reason they even have a website and publicly published rules is because people like NKD have been organizing to get their people on the county committees and then agitating for more transparency and reform.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

So you think Hillary Clinton lost because she didn't call Barack Obama the n word enough?

please, they call him "that man" in the clinton household

seriouspost

quote:

“Now it turns out that other State people were on the Clinton email so none of their emails were captured by the government. I think Hillary can’t believe she might not make it. It’s the one prize she wants. She has everything and she HATES that the president (‘that man’ as the Clintons call him) kicked her rear end in 2008.”

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Digiwizzard posted:

Back in July Chuck Schumer summed it up: “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

welcome to the republican party
I'm starting to think this is a typo or he misspoke as they literally for every moderate suburban Republican they picked up they lost 2 blue collar Democrats.

Hilarious fuckup either way

:sad:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DWS: 'If I was trying to rig the outcome of the primary, trust me, I could have'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-kOIkTZLsU&hd=1

she's pleading incompetence, then?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
this is really important
https://storify.com/miniver/how-fascism-accumulates-power-by-testing-people

Talks about how fascism happens faster than anyone expects and how dangerous normalization is in these situations. People need to stop talking about waiting and seeing what happens...because once whatever happens happens...it's going to be too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/800339165829283840
time to

schumer from the democratic party.

• Locked thread