Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
All the 05s will have the male splines on the axles. Wagon/obs hare the same cvs and lengths but the WRX has thicker shafts.

I was just looking at this section of the FSM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Cool, thanks people!
A couple websites were throwing me for a loop with different length halfshafts until I noticed that they didn't have male inner splines.

I went ahead with this one :
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2977560&cc=1430729&jsn=__GIP__1__

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I went through the same thing on my 04 wrx. All the parts places insisted I had pinned axles but the part was the 05 version. Learned it only after removing the old one and noticed that the new part was not what I needed.

This is why the dealer parts guy will ask for your VIN. Subaru changes things midyear

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You can see which version they are pretty easily just by looking. Like through the hood down, you don't even have to climb under the car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Here, I generally swap to winters when it is freezing overnight.

I wait until the highs are around 40ish. Warm days will really burn them up quick since they're so soft so usually November/December here in Michigan. It's still too warm here so they sit for now.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Anyone want a Mishimoto aluminum radiator for a GC Impreza at my cost + shipping before I send it back?

Fans didn't line up on a forester even though they supposedly use the same part. Also it wasn't looking like there was going to be enough clearance to the pulleys without aftermarket fans anyway.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 10, 2016

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am supposed to help a friend with the timing belt service on their 2008 forester NA, manual. Does anyone have a diagram for the proper tooth count between cams? The gates kit did not specify.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

I am supposed to help a friend with the timing belt service on their 2008 forester NA, manual. Does anyone have a diagram for the proper tooth count between cams? The gates kit did not specify.

The belt should be marked. Why are you counting teeth?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Just to be sure I guess. One more way to confirm correct spacing. When I did my wrx the service manual had counts.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Just to be sure I guess. One more way to confirm correct spacing. When I did my wrx the service manual had counts.

If you have done a wrx, then the sohc timing belt will be stupid simple. I've done about 15 using the gates kit with the marks and never had an issue.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If the marks on the belt line up and the marks on the crank and cam gears line up, then I would not worry about counting.

But if you want to anyway:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Awesome, thanks!

Edit. Job is done, car seems happy, but some spilled coolant left an oil stain that is still there. Head gasket?

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 13, 2016

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
After like a year of just ignoring the jerky steering and whiny PS pump on the Forester, I finally got around to ordering a replacement o-ring, and both problems are fixed. I don't understand why I didn't do this sooner, it's literally the simplest fix I've ever done on a car. It took my longer to track down the part number on opposed forces and find one on eBay here in Oz, than it actually did to do the repair.

At first, I wasn't sure the noise was fixed, since it was still pretty loud, but looks like it just took a few drives to get all the air worked out of the lines, and it's much quieter now. The actual steering itself was instantly fixed.

So chalk me up as another satisfied customer of this fix. I'd say it should be the first step in steering problems on a Subaru, since it seems to be so common and is so cheap and easy to do. Nothing lost by trying it first.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Recently I've noticed a bit of a chirp when taking my foot off the clutch of my '17 WRX when getting out of my driveway in the mornings. It goes away after a few blocks but I believe it's something recent. Does this sound normal or something I should take to the dealership to get checked out? My initial reaction is that it's normal but I figured I'd get more peoples opinion on this.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Is there anyone here experienced with romraider that could help me? I cant seem to get the ecu definition to load for the logger. My email is timothy_volkswagen at yahoo if it would be easier to share screenshots and hopefully logs if I cant get them to work. I think if I can just get it setup Ill be able to figure out most of the rest myself. In tried getting some logs today but I have no idea where the files went, they didnt seem to go to where I had them set up to go to. and I may also need help getting them to parse nicely into excel, stuff like that. I live in CT if there are any locals that could help in person.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

net work error posted:

Recently I've noticed a bit of a chirp when taking my foot off the clutch of my '17 WRX when getting out of my driveway in the mornings. It goes away after a few blocks but I believe it's something recent. Does this sound normal or something I should take to the dealership to get checked out? My initial reaction is that it's normal but I figured I'd get more peoples opinion on this.

This is the Tumble Generator Valve (TGV). It is a half of a butterfly valve in the intake just before the ports that closes when the engine is sufficiently cold to create turbulence in the intake so it will mix fuel better during fuel injection. It's a US only emissions device.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

um excuse me posted:

This is the Tumble Generator Valve (TGV). It is a half of a butterfly valve in the intake just before the ports that closes when the engine is sufficiently cold to create turbulence in the intake so it will mix fuel better during fuel injection. It's a US only emissions device.

I thought this was the throw out bearing? I have the same issue and I hear it more when I cold start the car and it's moist or humid.

I had a much worse issue that was when the car was idling in neutral there was a loud chirping noise. A slight touch to the clutch and it would go away. I think they replaced the throw out bearing and clutch fork.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

shy boy from chess club posted:

Is there anyone here experienced with romraider that could help me? I cant seem to get the ecu definition to load for the logger. My email is timothy_volkswagen at yahoo if it would be easier to share screenshots and hopefully logs if I cant get them to work. I think if I can just get it setup Ill be able to figure out most of the rest myself. In tried getting some logs today but I have no idea where the files went, they didnt seem to go to where I had them set up to go to. and I may also need help getting them to parse nicely into excel, stuff like that. I live in CT if there are any locals that could help in person.

I've used it before but it's been a few years. If nobody chimes in to help, I'll try! I'll PM you my email.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

um excuse me posted:

That makes sense for it going away once it warmed up. Thanks for that info.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

shy boy from chess club posted:

Let's catch up on IRC and I'll help you get romraider working.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Frankenstein posted:

Let's catch up on IRC and I'll help you get romraider working.

Word, I'll be there a little later.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Continuing my half shaft saga, alldata yelled at me about replacing the inner oil seals in the front diff. I'm getting conflicting information regarding whether i need left/right specific inner seals.
Are they side specific on '05 2.5 AT non-turbo? Subaru is showing only one part number. Or do they mean the actual seals are directional inside the diff?

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

JBark posted:

After like a year of just ignoring the jerky steering and whiny PS pump on the Forester, I finally got around to ordering a replacement o-ring, and both problems are fixed. I don't understand why I didn't do this sooner, it's literally the simplest fix I've ever done on a car. It took my longer to track down the part number on opposed forces and find one on eBay here in Oz, than it actually did to do the repair.

At first, I wasn't sure the noise was fixed, since it was still pretty loud, but looks like it just took a few drives to get all the air worked out of the lines, and it's much quieter now. The actual steering itself was instantly fixed.

So chalk me up as another satisfied customer of this fix. I'd say it should be the first step in steering problems on a Subaru, since it seems to be so common and is so cheap and easy to do. Nothing lost by trying it first.

What part and repair guide did you use, if you can be bothered?

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
I got my WRX back from ECS Performance, rebuild went well and it drives better than ever. I'm curious about breaking in the engine though. My understanding is you use a non synthetic oil because you want friction so the parts wear together (like new brakes?), and it's normal for metal to be in the oil.

My question is, how is this different from the process that ruined the engine in the first place from a spun rod bearing? I get since you replace the oil a few times in the first 1000 miles it doesn't spend long in there, but I probably drove on a spun bearing for less than 100 miles and still needed a complete rebuild. Or is it that there was probably metal in the oil much longer but you can't know until you start to hear rod knock?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Immolat1on posted:

I got my WRX back from ECS Performance, rebuild went well and it drives better than ever. I'm curious about breaking in the engine though. My understanding is you use a non synthetic oil because you want friction so the parts wear together (like new brakes?), and it's normal for metal to be in the oil.

My question is, how is this different from the process that ruined the engine in the first place from a spun rod bearing? I get since you replace the oil a few times in the first 1000 miles it doesn't spend long in there, but I probably drove on a spun bearing for less than 100 miles and still needed a complete rebuild. Or is it that there was probably metal in the oil much longer but you can't know until you start to hear rod knock?

Why don't you ask ECS what they recommend since they built the thing?

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

BloodBag posted:

Why don't you ask ECS what they recommend since they built the thing?

Oh I'm following their instructions and everything (and they break it in some before giving it back too), was just curious what's actually happening during break in.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Immolat1on posted:

A spun/siezed bearing and the contaminants/damage that it can produce is a night and day difference compared to flushing out the majority of your assembly lube and the residual metals left from seating your cams and piston rings after making love to those freshly honed cylinder walls, but then again debris is debris and you generally want that initial flush performed after the initial mating of parts is done. Follow your builder's recommendation, enjoy your new block.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My car is a heap. A lug nut caught a thread as I was rattle gunning the things off and it spun the stud. Now I've gotta figure out how to get the nut off the stud and get the stud out. loving new timken hubs too :argh: I'm fixing so much poo poo so often on this car I wonder why I didn't get a BMW and have something that at least drives nice when it's not broken.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

BloodBag posted:

My car is a heap. A lug nut caught a thread as I was rattle gunning the things off and it spun the stud. Now I've gotta figure out how to get the nut off the stud and get the stud out. loving new timken hubs too :argh: I'm fixing so much poo poo so often on this car I wonder why I didn't get a BMW and have something that at least drives nice when it's not broken.

This happened to me last winter when I was putting the winter tires on one afternoon before work. A friend of mine who actually is not a complete imbecile when it comes to cars first broke the lugnut off with a chisel, knocked the sud out and replaced it within ... an hour and change? Before it go dark outside, in any case. It was one of the rear wheels, too, and from my understanding the parking brake made the fit a bit harder. So it's definitely do-able.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Got my EJ255 head off today and had a good look at it. The engine had lost compression in cylinder three and seemed to be leaking out of the exhaust valve. Later it seemed compression came back and the valve was no longer leaking so bad.

Anyway, the valve was leaking a bit, but more importantly, the lifter/bucket on the valve in question was actually cracked. Anyone ever seen this?

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Finished my 13 Forrester's oil consumption test. Final verdict is... 39.5 ounces consumed over 1204 miles. Not sure they understood why I laughed. But what else can you do when you finally have a calibrated measurement of how ridiculous it is? It's burning so much they didn't even want to let us drive it while they get all the parts ready. So we've got a loaner for 2-3 weeks while they give it a new short block. Very curious to see how much the new one will burn.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I replace all the bearings in my 2004 wrx transfer case this weekend. I also added a kart boy short shift kit while I was in there (thanks jamal).

However, when I drained the oil from the transmission, only about 2 quarts came out. The manual says it should take 3.7 quarts.

How concerned should I be?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Not very, the case internal structure won't really let all the fluid drain.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

jamal posted:

Not very, the case internal structure won't really let all the fluid drain.

Ok. The bearings on the output shaft that goes from the engine to the center diff fell apart once I had them out. Good timing on that change I guess.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Rust repair on the WRX this week - it's totally normal to have a WRB rear bumper beam on a black car, right? Right?

loving POs. At least the rust isn't that bad.

I need to remember to take pics of what it takes to put a 5 speed DCCD into a Phase 2 5 speed trans, if only to horrify everyone with the fact that I'd bother.

Carbocation
Sep 2, 2006

2004 WRX Wagon, got into a fender bender. There is damage to the right door and right fender. Door opens fine, wheel turns fine, so it's only cosmetic.
Wondering whether to DIY or take it to a body shop.

If I buy a new OEM right fender and front door, it might cost about $750 from Subaru.
I'm also keeping an eye out for used parts on car-part.com, craigslist, and ebay, to try to bring the cost down.

What would be a reasonable quote for a body shop to pound out the dents and paint where the paint chipped off? I want to get a good ballpark price before I start calling shops.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Carbocation posted:

What would be a reasonable quote for a body shop to pound out the dents and paint where the paint chipped off? I want to get a good ballpark price before I start calling shops.

I don't think you'll find a decent body shop that would do what you want. The fender is pretty much irreparable. What they'll quote you is a new door skin and a new fender painted to match.

Honestly, a new fender would likely cost less than it would take in labor to attempt to do anything with those dents.

My guess to fix it fully would be around $1900. Your cheapest repair would be to get a junkyard fender either color matching or getting it painted off car for a rough match and then swapping it out and then ignoring the door.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

What part and repair guide did you use, if you can be bothered?

This had most of the info I needed, though it starts off STi specific. A few pages in there was some info on other models.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1897783

In my case, I needed part #34439AE020 for my SG Forester, and it looks like that same o ring covers a pretty big swath of the other models. Seems like there's only a couple different parts, I think turbo vs. non-turbo was the main difference. It was pretty easy to find the specific one I needed on opposedforces.com
http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/us_s11/type_4/steering/oil_pump/illustration_2/

You can also just grab a bag of replacement rings from most parts stores, but I figured it was cheap enough just to order the correct one.

And it couldn't be simpler, just remove one bolt, pull up to remove the hose, cover hose with finger to prevent PS fluid from dripping out until you get it raised up, then swap the orings and put it back together. As long as you don't pinch it, that's it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I had one of the welders use a cutoff wheel to basically bisect the lug nut/stud and then snap off the halves. Ended up needing to remove the wheel, caliper, bracket, and rotor and the stud fell right out. How soon do I need to replace this flange? Is 4 out of 5 lug nuts super dangerous to drive on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I finished changing the center diff bearings in the 04 WRX and installing the Short shift kit from Jamal. No more awful noise coming from the transmission.

Which bearing do think was causing the most noise?