Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

frankenfreak posted:

Sore Losers, an aptly named game. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

MF_James posted:

but please, tell me how you would be winning right now :allears:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734584&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=21#post457958507

The trick is to have 2 of the people 3v1ing you back off, then have the 3rd have a kid irl and go AI then eat him.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ramc posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734584&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=21#post457958507

The trick is to have 2 of the people 3v1ing you back off, then have the 3rd have a kid irl and go AI then eat him.

Well, the 2 did go gently caress off, but the game leader(?) is still pressing hte attack, although vietnam is in full effect.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

MF_James posted:

Well, the 2 did go gently caress off, but the game leader(?) is still pressing hte attack, although vietnam is in full effect.

When is his wife due?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

uguu posted:

Put up two vanilla games, find em here ma and ea.

No mods, no rules, maps tbd.

I'll put 'em up on the server when I get back tonight.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Games are open for pretenders.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Are scales builds still a thing? I find them mentioned a lot in older guides, but I understand there was a scales nerf at some point?

tankfish
May 31, 2013
Hey quick question I'm in a EA game playing marverni with the magic enhanced mode. There's a spell that summons the large ghost that buffs the other pigs and makes them larger. I was wondering if that worked with the ones from the iron pig spell ?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

tankfish posted:

Hey quick question I'm in a EA game playing marverni with the magic enhanced mode. There's a spell that summons the large ghost that buffs the other pigs and makes them larger. I was wondering if that worked with the ones from the iron pig spell ?

I don't know anything about the mod but I would just Contact Great Boars and use their infinite sacred boars instead of spending gems making ones with extra prot.

tankfish
May 31, 2013

Decrepus posted:

I don't know anything about the mod but I would just Contact Great Boars and use their infinite sacred boars instead of spending gems making ones with extra prot.

Makes more sense still I might have to do some science just for fun.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

uguu posted:

Just came back to this game too and I still had the appdata on my pc.
If you do too, you're in luck, as your cd-key is just chilling out there!
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Dominions4; file is named dom4key, just add it to steam and you're good to go.
If you don't have it, maybe check with Illwinter?
Thanks for the help, in the end the solution was to email Illwinter directly. One of the guys gave me a CD key and boom, done. That's what I call customer service.

Time to get back into this bad game. :shepface:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Are scales builds still a thing? I find them mentioned a lot in older guides, but I understand there was a scales nerf at some point?
Scales are still very important. You can run a scales god, but I would keep it to nations with really good troops, including sacreds. Find the best value god that can give you N9, F9, W9, B9, or D9, and go hog wild.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

now you just take a snake and get an awake expander + good scales

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Samog posted:

now you just take a snake and get an awake expander + good scales

Even if I want to go with a bless expansion strat?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Even if I want to go with a bless expansion strat?

Nah if you have good sacreds you grab a decent chassis for whatever bless you want and then make it dormant/imprisoned (imprisoned can be a trap, you get extra points but you also don't get your god for like 2.5-4 years depending on your luck).

It would be helpful to know what nation you're talking about and I, or someone could give you a decent suggestion/jumping off point.

Like for Pangaea or whatever they are, white centards are amazing, so I picked the Volla of whatever (water/nature pretender) Gave her W9/N5, Turmoil3, Sloth 2, Growth 3, Luck 3 and Magic 3, dormant (so I get her after a year or so), but this isn't something you do with every nation.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

MF_James posted:

Nah if you have good sacreds you grab a decent chassis for whatever bless you want and then make it dormant/imprisoned (imprisoned can be a trap, you get extra points but you also don't get your god for like 2.5-4 years depending on your luck).

It would be helpful to know what nation you're talking about and I, or someone could give you a decent suggestion/jumping off point.

Like for Pangaea or whatever they are, white centards are amazing, so I picked the Volla of whatever (water/nature pretender) Gave her W9/N5, Turmoil3, Sloth 2, Growth 3, Luck 3 and Magic 3, dormant (so I get her after a year or so), but this isn't something you do with every nation.

EA Sauromatia.

I'm currently going with an imprisoned Irminsul with N9, and something like Order 1, Prod 1, Growth 1, Luck 2, Magic 3

I've played single player games with something very similar to that Volla, with less turmoil obviously.

That said the Sauromatia (non-sacred) cataphracts seem pretty good. I haven't tested them for expansion yet, but have heard they can compete with the sacreds (meaning not needing to go bless).

E: I'm pretty sure we're both playing in this particular game, actually.

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013

EA Sauromatia.

I'm currently going with an imprisoned Irminsul with N9, and something like Order 1, Prod 1, Growth 1, Luck 2, Magic 3

I've played single player games with something very similar to that Volla, with less turmoil obviously.

That said the Sauromatia (non-sacred) cataphracts seem pretty good. I haven't tested them for expansion yet, but have heard they can compete with the sacreds (meaning not needing to go bless).

E: I'm pretty sure we're both playing in this particular game, actually.

I would recommend against a major bless for sauromatia. The sacreds are pretty marginal and the immortal hydra is a level 9 spell.

All scales are really useful for sauromatia since you need tons of gold, can recruit bad-rear end resource heavy troops, need growth for blood-hunting, and have super cheap researchers for magic. An awake expanding god is also nice in addition to the scales.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Cuffs, I was in a game as Sauromatia I partly recorded and did pretty well in, being definitely in the top 3 factions when the server crashed.

Your scales are about what I went with, although I didn't go for a sacred-heavy build, instead going for a heavier focus on blood magic - the way I see it, Sauromatia has REALLY bad value-for-money national priests, and you can't necessarily rely on getting indie priests right by you in EA, which sorta relegates them to being on a prophet's army only.

However, you might find a way to make it work and more power to you.

I'd maybe up the growth to 3 and give the nation sloth 1 - your troops are mainly very resource-efficient, and growth is the #1 absolutely best income scale in the game, so long as you take it to 3 (otherwise probably don't bother), plus you want more pop in your provinces for later in the game when you're blood hunting to summon vampire lords and the like.

(I disagree with Atlanton that you need tons of gold as Sauromatia - you can build a good research infrastructure with very few labs due to Soothsayers having a 90% shot at S1, which not only reduces their cost to 35 gold, but means you don't need to lab your provinces - 500 gold saved right there in at least some of your palisades)

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
OK, next problem. Something about this game makes my laptop fan (macbook air) go absolutely crazy, I've never heard it churn that fast. It's not even hot, the fan just spins out of control. Have any of you experienced this or have any advice?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Degrease the bearings so it slows down.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

immolationsex posted:

OK, next problem. Something about this game makes my laptop fan (macbook air) go absolutely crazy, I've never heard it churn that fast. It's not even hot, the fan just spins out of control. Have any of you experienced this or have any advice?

Dominions is actually kinda harsh on graphics hardware. It's nothing to worry about, though (assuming nothing is blocking the air flow trough your laptop). If the fan noise bothers you, you can try setting the frame rate limiter lower in the preferences menu. It's not like it's a game that requires a crisp 60 FPS to enjoy.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Cuffs, I was in a game as Sauromatia I partly recorded and did pretty well in, being definitely in the top 3 factions when the server crashed.

Your scales are about what I went with, although I didn't go for a sacred-heavy build, instead going for a heavier focus on blood magic - the way I see it, Sauromatia has REALLY bad value-for-money national priests, and you can't necessarily rely on getting indie priests right by you in EA, which sorta relegates them to being on a prophet's army only.

However, you might find a way to make it work and more power to you.

I'd maybe up the growth to 3 and give the nation sloth 1 - your troops are mainly very resource-efficient, and growth is the #1 absolutely best income scale in the game, so long as you take it to 3 (otherwise probably don't bother), plus you want more pop in your provinces for later in the game when you're blood hunting to summon vampire lords and the like.

(I disagree with Atlanton that you need tons of gold as Sauromatia - you can build a good research infrastructure with very few labs due to Soothsayers having a 90% shot at S1, which not only reduces their cost to 35 gold, but means you don't need to lab your provinces - 500 gold saved right there in at least some of your palisades)

Thanks!

Yeah, a blood economy is the next thing I need to learn in this game. And I've been playing around with an erf snek in test games -- expansion gets pretty ridiculous, especially if you can pick up a shambler province in the ocean.

And yep, I'm aware of the soothsayer economy (and that they make good communion slaves for witch kings / chaff against mind hunt + magic duel).

I'll try out high growth. I think I was taking heat as a dump scale, but I guess that would work against it?

What did you use for expansion parties (besides an awake expander)? I've read about people using cataphracts, but they seem to be a little slow to get going with the high prod cost.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

3) is actually "lose everything you have in a single battle as Rlyeh spams water elementals and casts shark attack at you. Also your commanders are all dead to star kids toting water bottles and all of your S coverage died to magic duel so on the off chance there are any survivors they are being mind hunted."

Haha, yeah at least some of this is happening. I'm MA Tien, though, so astral cover isn't really a problem, and now that I've learned how magic duel works (the hard way, lol) I'm pretty sure I can deal with it. Also I have troops and commanders with patrol bonuses, in case the star kids start becoming a problem.

I've also been pleasantly surprised at just how great hordes of shamblers are. They got within 10hp of killing their aboleth hero-thug thing before it managed to retreat. One of the shambler commanders also had an assassination attempt from a star kid and just walked up and beat the crap out of it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

What did you use for expansion parties (besides an awake expander)? I've read about people using cataphracts, but they seem to be a little slow to get going with the high prod cost.
I used mercs that nobody else bid on for some reason and Sauromatian Amazons as ablative infantry + sauro archers en masse.

Blood is pretty quick to get going once it's going on Sauro, but it's the waiting while you get a dozen N1W1 warrior sorcs instead of the 2 N1B1 ones you actually want that's the frustrating bit, which is why I took a Man Eater as my pretender.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002

jBrereton posted:

Degrease the bearings so it slows down.

StoryTime posted:

Dominions is actually kinda harsh on graphics hardware. It's nothing to worry about, though (assuming nothing is blocking the air flow trough your laptop). If the fan noise bothers you, you can try setting the frame rate limiter lower in the preferences menu. It's not like it's a game that requires a crisp 60 FPS to enjoy.
Thanks, appreciated. Will give it a shot.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
New video LP-part is ready!

Mo Money Mo Problems II, Part 36

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

immolationsex posted:

Thanks, appreciated. Will give it a shot.
For a non-sarcastic tip I recommend setting its ~visual fidelity~ down to the lowest setting (mainly just reduces tree + seaweed sprites) and turning off animated backgrounds. Helps more than you'd think!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Ever wanted vamps to not be immortal? This is the mod, which does that (except for the Vamp Queen who is a terrible pretender and is allowed to be immortal)

Link

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002

jBrereton posted:

Ever wanted vamps to not be immortal? This is the mod, which does that (except for the Vamp Queen who is a terrible pretender and is allowed to be immortal)

Link
I never claimed to be good at this game but wtf. Isn't that pretty much the major selling point of vamps?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Listen my allegedly steak ruining friend if you have ever been in a lategame dominions four type scenario you will know that it often descends into a vampire arms race, because there are very few better units for holding your own ground and raiding enemy PD than flying, stealthy, immortal ones that don't cost money, always trigger gem usage, can cast some of the most scalable and damaging battlemagic in the game, and Will Not Die to at least most mundane weapons.

Your other immortal summons are not really on the same level in terms of how mobile they are without additional gem spend, or how affordable they are. You can make vamp lords with not that much map control and no globals up if you are willing to blood hunt the capitals you will definitely own if you're in mid-lategame dominions. And a lot of nations with blood and death magic are also blood saccers and/or have good stealthy priests, so their immortality is even more powerful than it would look at first glance.

They're real good, and they still are without immortality, this just works to minimize the "for gently caress's sakes why didn't I bring 4 enslavement casters with +4 pen argh" aspect of dominions four late game.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Imagine four Dominions 4 games entering late-game. Say a direct copy of the game nearest the endgame just hit blood7, and takes the place of the first game. The formerly first game becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth game is taken down.

Vampires work the same way.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 20, 2016

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Decrepus posted:

Imagine four Dominions 4 games entering late-game. Say a direct copy of the game nearest the endgame just hit blood7, and takes the place of the first game. The formerly first game becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth game is taken down.

Vampires work the same way.

:golfclap:

I am currently teaching a Masterclass on Vampire Snowballing, and removing immortality would go a very long way towards balancing them (and Blood in general).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
There is a reason this is the mod banner

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
If you have two late game powers, one who has blood/astral mages and spams horrors everywhere, and one who has blood/death and spams vampires, who will have the advantage?

Vampires are a bit like gem gens, once you make them they give you a constant advantage for the rest of the game that grows as you make more of them. Being invunerable/flying/stealthy/life draining makes them strong units that will at least kill some of your strong units in a fight. however when they die they cause no economic damage to your opponent who is busily making an even bigger vampire ball, meanwhile you will suffer economic losses from your strong troops dieing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Applebee123 posted:

If you have two late game powers, one who has blood/astral mages and spams horrors everywhere, and one who has blood/death and spams vampires, who will have the advantage?
Everyone not currently in that game

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Applebee123 posted:

Vampires are a bit like gem gens, once you make them they give you a constant advantage for the rest of the game that grows as you make more of them. Being invunerable/flying/stealthy/life draining makes them strong units that will at least kill some of your strong units in a fight. however when they die they cause no economic damage to your opponent who is busily making an even bigger vampire ball, meanwhile you will suffer economic losses from your strong troops dieing.

Immortality would work better if it's more like mummify -that thing which makes most of your Nazcan mages come back from death a second time-

Let's say immortality doesn't turn your flying vampire into a non-flying mummy and that's the difference to mummify. Now you still have your super-undead coming back after death, but only once.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Applebee123 posted:

The unresitible thug killing spells spells Leech and Life for a Life (both blood) work on horrors and can easily destroy them. If you don't have a fort on the prov your vampire can even bloodhunt and defend the prov in the same turn, losing no time.

As long as there's some blockers (hosed up tiny patrollers) to guard the vamp until he blows up the horror so he doesn't get horror marked by the flying ones I guess.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Applebee123 posted:

Whichever one has blood sac. If they both do then vampire guy wins and horror guy is an idiot cause he should have had vampires too.

tankfish
May 31, 2013
Well just had my EA game end with string of bad luck events . Then through other events became king of the goats which now I know causes dragon attacks. Said dragon kills my pretender and torches my cap. Rest in piece Billy the Gruff Snake king of goats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002

jBrereton posted:

[vampires are actually totally insane and broken]
OK, point taken. Didn't realize the point about gem-use triggering, for example. How I loathe gem micro.

Libluini posted:

Immortality would work better if it's more like mummify -that thing which makes most of your Nazcan mages come back from death a second time-

Let's say immortality doesn't turn your flying vampire into a non-flying mummy and that's the difference to mummify. Now you still have your super-undead coming back after death, but only once.
Or how about implementing something similar to the corpse eater tag on the underworld crow and hound of hades? Make it so that they do resurrect in friendly dominion, but come back with 1hp max, and are only able to recover 1hp per month, and then only if unburied corpses are available.
I can already smell the delicious micromanagement as blood players have to trail their field hospital brigade after the main army, scrabbling for corpses. :drac:

Alternatively, do the same thing but have popkill as the condition for recovering max hp, and make the price something to take seriously -- say, 50 10 population per 1hp per vamp.

e: ok on closer thought, 50 is totally unreasonable. 10 would probably be more in line with reality.

immolationsex fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 21, 2016

• Locked thread