Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Kingdom of Bohemia, in interregnum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

Oh no, they're the fash too friend, keep bashing.

thank you friend, I shall

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ofaloaf posted:

The Kingdom of Bohemia, in interregnum.

Agreed, let's get rid of the useless senile president and have this again.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Agreed, let's get rid of the useless senile president and have this again.

Only if you throw a bunch of important people out of windows in Prague at some point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In almost GBS-worthy news, Medvedev did make a half-hearted suggestion that caffe americano could be renamed into russiano.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

In almost GBS-worthy news, Medvedev did make a half-hearted suggestion that caffe americano could be renamed into russiano.

Because of the deep connection Red Army soldiers made with Italy?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Because of the deep connection Red Army soldiers made with Italy?
No, he was in Belarus on an Eurasian Intergovernmental Council meeting, and during post-meeting mingling he went on to say that americano does not sound politically correctly.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Shouldn't that be something like coffee with vodka? A similar drink is already popular in Scandinavia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, he was in Belarus on an Eurasian Intergovernmental Council meeting, and during post-meeting mingling he went on to say that americano does not sound politically correctly.

I realize that, but the reason why Americano is a thing is that Americans liberated Italy in WWII. So protesting against it is pretty drat ignorant.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Kopijeger posted:

Shouldn't that be something like coffee with vodka? A similar drink is already popular in Scandinavia.

Coffee with cognac or Armenian brandy labelled as cognac gets mentioned quite often as a status symbol cocktail in books from the latter half of the Soviet period. That might work.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kopijeger posted:

Coffee with LOTS of vodka is more Russian. :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Vodka with some coffee in it

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Vodka with some coffee in it

Add some sugar, milk and vanilla and you already have a drink named after Russia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Russia's Supreme Court has given green light to Navalny for running in the upcoming election.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Batka is worried about all of the weapons coming into Belarus from Ukraine.

quote:

The current instability in Ukraine has led to increased problems for Minsk, including cross-border trafficking in arms and explosives, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko told the Russian regional media at a press conference.

"We have to try hard to protect a 1,200-kilometer long border with Ukraine because huge amounts of arms and explosives have been coming in. We have been seizing arms smuggled not only on the border but at the (Minsk) Rail Terminal as well," Lukashenko explained.

"It has been hard for us," he stressed. According to the Belarusian president, "arms were earlier smuggled from the West to the East through the Baltic states, Belarus and Ukraine, but now the smuggled arms flow through Belarus." "On the one hand, this is positive. But on the other hand, it requires huge efforts and spending to ensure security here," Lukashenko added.

The parties to the Ukrainian conflict should seek peace, he went on.

According to Lukashenko, "if the two parties come to terms and say that Belarus can play a positive role, then we are ready to do anything to ensure peace there." "We are ready to work in order to settle the situation," the Belarusian president added. He went on to say that "we briefed the West on our proposals when the conflict broke out." "But they have been silent, which means they don’t want peace to return to Ukraine," Lukashenko noted.

He also said that "certainly, no one wants Russia to enhance its influence in other parts of the world." "So they seek to embroil Russia in various conflicts, first and foremost, in Ukraine, so Moscow gets entangled. The US and the EU leaders may change but their policies will always remain the same. They don’t want Russia, Belarus and Ukraine to be strong. But we should have sense and take appropriate steps. I believe, we are able to do something so a positive process begins there (in Ukraine)," the Belarusian president concluded.

Am I missing something, because wouldn't it make sense if they were moving in the opposite direction?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Batka is worried about all of the weapons coming into Belarus from Ukraine.

Am I missing something, because wouldn't it make sense if they were moving in the opposite direction?
Come again?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Pardon, I am a dumb American, but it seems odd even for Lukashenko to complain about Ukraine sending weapons into Belarus.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pardon, I am a dumb American, but it seems odd even for Lukashenko to complain about Ukraine sending weapons into Belarus.
Well, he is complaining about gun control issues that arise if everyone but their dog can get assorted collection of service weaponry for dime on a dollar. Nothing special from European standpoint here, he isn't even being especially paranoid about it, which you could've expected from an aging dictator.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

It's about smuggling, not about supplying an army, unlike with the Russia-Ukraine border. (There are some problems with such weapons in parts of Russia across the border, too, and even further, since sometimes the fighters take the.weapons back)

Heck, a while back the SBU busted a couple ISIS wannabees wanting to smuggle weapons from the war zone to France.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Batka is probably worried little Joffrey will get his hands on something and decide he doesn't want to wait to assume the throne.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Dictators are rarely happy if their populace has unregulated access to weapons. Or any access at all.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Estonia's soon-to-be government coalition figured that the way to make low income earners get by better would be to increase the tax free portion of the income. up to 500 euros is tax free for those earning 500€ a month, those who earn more get progressively less tax free, up to "high income" of 1200€. After which it's the same for everyone. I don't mind losing 34€ off my pay, but it would be great if those who get twice the amount I do would chip in kind of more.
For comparison, a MPs pay last year was 2640€ net per month. How will they ever get by if they had to part with additional 600€....

The last coalition did us no good, and this one won't either. It's obvious because the new PM also manages to say a lot without saying anything.

And as I've mentioned in the past, they can get some expenses "related to their work" reimbursed, which among other things means leasing a car for themselves. Cars which they will of course keep afterwards.

edit: of course the social tax which is 33% will remain. taxes on dividends will be reduced from 20% to 14% if paid out regularly. or some poo poo.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 18, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Torrannor posted:

Dictators are rarely happy if their populace has unregulated access to weapons. Or any access at all.

No one short of gun nuts, organized criminals and terrorists is happy about anybody being able to buy military weapons and explosives.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
ive always wondered, why do so many former communist countries have flat taxes?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Swan Oat posted:

It made sense when everybody was supposed to have roughly the same income.

It made even more sense when corrupt FYGM oligarchs where entrusted with transitioning their countries to a capitalist system.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
in Estonia's the excuse is always "keeping the tax system simple" so it'd be somehow easier to run a business and therefore attract investors.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

A Polish MP is on record as saying atheists and non-catholics who don't sign a formal letter of support of 'christian values' should be deported. Cool.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 18, 2016

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

dex_sda posted:

A Polish MP is on record as saying atheists and non-catholics who don't sign a formal letter of support of 'christian values' should be deported. Cool.

Lol, its even better than that. She said they should sign an oath that they are loyal to Poland, the Polish constitution and the values it represents somehow forgetting that such an oath would be deeply unconstitutional as the constitution explicitly states that you cannot force a person to reveal their religion against their will nor can religion be used as a basis to discriminate. I mean she's some nameless backbencher so its not like PiS had any plans for this poo poo, but it does a good job illustrating just what sort of people make up PiS' MPs and constituency. She later said it only applies to immigrants when thousands of Polish atheists began asking her if they get to choose the country they'll be deported to on social media. As if that makes it better. :haw:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

Lol, its even better than that. She said they should sign an oath that they are loyal to Poland, the Polish constitution and the values it represents somehow forgetting that such an oath would be deeply unconstitutional as the constitution explicitly states that you cannot force a person to reveal their religion against their will nor can religion be used as a basis to discriminate. I mean she's some nameless backbencher so its not like PiS had any plans for this poo poo, but it does a good job illustrating just what sort of people make up PiS' MPs and constituency. She later said it only applies to immigrants when thousands of Polish atheists began asking her if they get to choose the country they'll be deported to on social media. As if that makes it better. :haw:

The cherry on top of that is that they would be the first to go if we deported everyone against the constitution.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Swan Oat posted:

When communism fell there was no middle class and the really rich 1% tended to be largely outside taxation so I guess progressive taxation wouldn't have made much of a difference in state coffers. Later on it has become a FYGM situation although officially it's about competition and trickle down.

Then there was probably some degree of ideological factor - no better way to say 'gently caress you Lenin' than to give the church and the captains of industry back the respect they had before 1917.

dex_sda posted:

The cherry on top of that is that they would be the first to go if we deported everyone against the constitution.

Will the last one to be deported please turn the lights out.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 18, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If someone has an hour to waste, here's our Independence Day parade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1PIEpj6DfI

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's official: Poland has a king!
Jesus Christ :aaaaa:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

alex314 posted:

It's official: Poland has a king!
Jesus Christ :aaaaa:

Could you elaborate?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OddObserver posted:

Could you elaborate?
Jesus Christ, Lamb of God and Light of the World, has become the king of Poland.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've just seen the news where a bunch of CC dudes enthroned him. Pres Duda was in attendance.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Jesus Christ, Lamb of God and Light of the World, has become the king of Poland.

Still better than that fat German dude who ruined everything

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well him also being the King of the Jews has got to make this a bit awkward for the Poles.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Actually, this seems kinda problematic. Jesus Christ is head of the Christian church, and thus the overlord of all Christians - including the heads of state of England, Denmark and Norway, and thus this is a direct attack on the sovereignty of those nations, demoting their rulers to mere dukes and duchesses under the sovereignty of the Polish king.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Actually, this seems kinda problematic. Jesus Christ is head of the Christian church, and thus the overlord of all Christians - including the heads of state of England, Denmark and Norway, and thus this is a direct attack on the sovereignty of those nations, demoting their rulers to mere dukes and duchesses under the sovereignty of the Polish king.

Shouldn't Jesus become the emperor of Poland for that?

At least I figure that from playing Crusader Kings II.

edit: wait. I figured it out the wrong way. And the more I think about the more confusing it becomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Isn't it more like demoting Jesus from Lord of All Creation to the mere monarch of a temporal state? I suspect most Christians would find that blasphemous. Besides, who are they to decide what role(s) Jesus will play`?