Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ToxicSlurpee posted:

PHP is also a tremendously lovely language.

I'm surprised the conversation got as far as it did before someone brought up this accurate point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Modern PHP is not that bad but 99% of the PHP job market is supporting old monsters and wordpress installs so... :shrug:

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

gmq posted:

Modern PHP is not that bad but 99% of the PHP job market is supporting old monsters and wordpress installs so... :shrug:

Do you work at facebook or what?

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
So what's a good language for doing back-end web development on a basic, publicly accessible website? I liked working with Java and Spring Web MVC in the past but I think maybe Java EE isn't often used for public sites? Also, there likely won't be a lot of server side processing being done so the main focus would be on setting up a nice front end. Supposing we go with angularJS, would we then write thej server-side code in JavaScript or can we use whatever back-end design we want? My college program is very outdated in terms of design advice so I'm not too sure which web technologies would best fit my vague requirements. Ideally we'd like to focus on a new/up and coming technology...

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 11, 2016

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ornithology posted:

So what's a good language for doing back-end web development on a basic, publicly accessible website? I liked working with Java and Spring Web MVC in the past but I think maybe Java EE isn't often used for public sites? Also, there likely won't be a lot of server side processing being done so the main focus would be on setting up a nice front end. Supposing we go with angularJS, would we then write thej server-side code in JavaScript or can we use whatever back-end design we want? My college program is very outdated in terms of design advice so I'm not too sure which web technologies would best fit my vague requirements.

That's more of a question for https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554791 but I'm going to guess people will say Python with Flask or Django, depending on how much you want out of the box. You can use Javascript, but people here will discourage that because the language and tooling simply aren't as good as just about any sane choice of server-side language, including Java.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.

dantheman650 posted:

When do you schedule interviews if you're currently employed? Just take PTO?

I usually ask if they are happy to do either an early morning or end of day interview (and if they like your CV they usually will) that way you can just go into work late, or leave early. It really depends on the size of the company, smaller companies are usually much more flexible.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Ornithology posted:

So what's a good language for doing back-end web development on a basic, publicly accessible website? I liked working with Java and Spring Web MVC in the past but I think maybe Java EE isn't often used for public sites? Also, there likely won't be a lot of server side processing being done so the main focus would be on setting up a nice front end. Supposing we go with angularJS, would we then write thej server-side code in JavaScript or can we use whatever back-end design we want? My college program is very outdated in terms of design advice so I'm not too sure which web technologies would best fit my vague requirements.

Java is used for backend web in a lot of places and if you're looking for work in the enterprise (aka stable) space you could do a lot worse than have a large Java project on your resume.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Gavinvin posted:

I usually ask if they are happy to do either an early morning or end of day interview (and if they like your CV they usually will) that way you can just go into work late, or leave early. It really depends on the size of the company, smaller companies are usually much more flexible.

Many people think interviews are this completely random thing or luck is the only thing that matters. That's not true, but there are factors beyond just your intelligence. If you have an interview early in the morning or end of the day, you do in fact risk dealing with interviewers that are grumpier or just want to go home. It's obviously not impossible to pass an interview like this, and obviously if it's the only time you can get off, it's better than nothing. But post-lunch interviews are the best IF you can do them.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pie Colony posted:

Many people think interviews are this completely random thing or luck is the only thing that matters. That's not true, but there are factors beyond just your intelligence. If you have an interview early in the morning or end of the day, you do in fact risk dealing with interviewers that are grumpier or just want to go home. It's obviously not impossible to pass an interview like this, and obviously if it's the only time you can get off, it's better than nothing. But post-lunch interviews are the best IF you can do them.

Agreed, I've only been the interviewer once before but the interview was first thing in the morning and it went terribly mostly because I didn't give a poo poo that early in the morning and didn't have time to prepare before hand.

I've got an interview coming up that I'm going to try to avoid scheduling on a Monday or Friday for the same reason

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Ornithology posted:

So what's a good language for doing back-end web development on a basic, publicly accessible website? I liked working with Java and Spring Web MVC in the past but I think maybe Java EE isn't often used for public sites? Also, there likely won't be a lot of server side processing being done so the main focus would be on setting up a nice front end. Supposing we go with angularJS, would we then write thej server-side code in JavaScript or can we use whatever back-end design we want? My college program is very outdated in terms of design advice so I'm not too sure which web technologies would best fit my vague requirements. Ideally we'd like to focus on a new/up and coming technology...

I recommend Node. (disclosure: I am a professional JavaScript engineer.) There are valid arguments for when it's appropriate, but it's unambiguously good for your use case (making something quickly that will serve up your front-end and not catch on fire).

It'd probably be better for your resume, too- if your back-end needs are as simple as you're describing, you probably won't get a resume-worthy amount of experience working with .NET or another exclusively back-end ecosystem. Whereas Node is the basis for pretty much all tooling in front-end right now and pretty much any amount of experience with it will solidly compliment your work with AngularJS/React/Boba/Vue/whatever.

As for keeping up with the JS ecosystem: any front-end framework will give you an idea of how they all work. You should try Vue for at least an hour or so, because it's crazy easy to learn (and outpacing the growth of other frameworks for this reason). React is what I'd recommend next if you have the luxury of time, but AngularJS is the most widespread / likely to get you a job right now. I made Boba up to see if anyone would notice but then I checked and it's already a JS library.

Whatever framework you're working with, just google "<your framework> <your requirement> js" and you'll probably find what you need. (And if you don't know enough to pick between two similar libraries/modules, choose whatever has the most stars or most active pulse on github.)

Finally, this two-week-old fossil is still (somehow) an accurate introduction to the JS world.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

Ornithology posted:

Scala :henget:

(for real we are a Flask + Angular shop here and it's not bad at all)

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Do it. Bonus points if you make the whole thing in akka-http.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Stinky_Pete posted:

On two or three different Saturdays, I went to the park with some Medium, then Hard, leetcode problems that I had transcribed into my notebook. I would work on one, writing code in my notebook, take a walk and find another bench, and then do another. I didn't bother to test them.

It is very important to exercise your skills and knowledge in a diversity of physical locations so that your brain treats it as something that must be primed and ready in any context, otherwise it will be compressed into association with your screen or desk.

Yo thanks for this suggestion. I just finished a long day of interviews and doing this helped me not fail so much at whiteboarding.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
So I ended up finding a Capstone project which is basically just to create a website for a charity. They have very few specific requirements, we need to choose the technologies involved ourselves. We are thinking about using Spring Web MVC because we are mostly looking for jobs in large enterprise companies after graduation. The website will contain mostly static content to display information about the charity. One requirement they have that I am a little confused how to implement is that they want some kind of admin interface that allows them to edit the content displayed on the website without having to actually change the code at all. Are there any suggestions on how to implement this? Only thing I could think of was to pull all the text/content we are displaying from a database, and then create an admin interface which allows the user to edit these database records. However I'm guessing there will be display issues if they enter incorrect content to the DB, and this seems like it could result in a lot of issues and limitations as far as allowing the admin to change content displayed on the website.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What you're looking for is a Content Management System. You definitely don't want to program your own.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

rt4 posted:

What you're looking for is a Content Management System. You definitely don't want to program your own.

Plus it's a solved problem -- there are plenty of free off-the-shelf solutions out there already, and you'd be doing them a disservice by reinventing the wheel in a half-assed way in order to get a few credits.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

rt4 posted:

That being that, pulling the content from the DB is, in fact, how they work

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Thanks guys, any suggestions for one which will integrate will with Java/Spring Web MVC? How does it work anyway, some of the pages I looked at quickly makes it look like the whole front end is a drag and drop style design which seems strange and I'm not sure how it would be compatible with Bootstrap and other responsive web design features.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Why do you need to integrate with Java/Spring? What is the specific thing you need that WordPress doesn't do?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Ornithology posted:

Thanks guys, any suggestions for one which will integrate will with Java/Spring Web MVC? How does it work anyway, some of the pages I looked at quickly makes it look like the whole front end is a drag and drop style design which seems strange and I'm not sure how it would be compatible with Bootstrap and other responsive web design features.

I think you chose a pretty terrible project because for the client it would be best if you just set up Wordpress and be done with it, but that's not something technically impressive. You can, of course do the CMS part yourself and use JCR and Sling or something, and that would be very enterprisy but on the other hand hand the charity will then be SOL when trying to find anyone to maintain and will probably have to find someone to copy paste the content into a Wordpress installation.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Even in the PHP world, there's much better choices than Wordpress these days. Give Bolt a look. It exposes many concepts in the same way within the GUI, but programming for it makes much more sense. In fact, you probably won't need to write any code besides theme templates and some small config files.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a good capstone project. Some theme templates and small config files.
That poor charity is going to have a hulking beast of "Large Enterprise Company" scale backend to display mostly static content.
Hahaha.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
We aren't sold on Java, we just picked it because the option was open and none of us want to be php developers. Unfortunately we couldn't find a project which was specifically for Android or Java so we are pretty much stuck with this. However the point is made, maybe we will just go with php and a CMS to build a quick website, then use the extra time for personal projects. Appreciate the advice everyone.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

This last page has been a very nice replication on the real world. That is your actual lesson learned here.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Keetron posted:

This last page has been a very nice replication on the real world. That is your actual lesson learned here.

Far more valuable than what most of the fresh grads I interview learned in their capstone projects.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ornithology posted:

We aren't sold on Java, we just picked it because the option was open and none of us want to be php developers. Unfortunately we couldn't find a project which was specifically for Android or Java so we are pretty much stuck with this. However the point is made, maybe we will just go with php and a CMS to build a quick website, then use the extra time for personal projects. Appreciate the advice everyone.

You could try putting a nice UI in front of one of the many static site generators out there if using PHP seems too lovely, but that could also ultimately be a disservice if you just walk away from it they need any work done later. I mention that largely because, as far as I know, Wordpress requires care and feeding (regular security updates) that they might not be up for, so a static front-end might be better in the long run.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Does anyone have any good references/practice problems for dynamic programming? I've been informed it's gonna be the topic of one of my questions for my PhD qualifier oral exam and so far my written questions have pretty much been standard job interview-ish questions so the oral will probably be similar. DP is one of my weak suits, so I'd like to prepare.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jsor posted:

Does anyone have any good references/practice problems for dynamic programming? I've been informed it's gonna be the topic of one of my questions for my PhD qualifier oral exam and so far my written questions have pretty much been standard job interview-ish questions so the oral will probably be similar. DP is one of my weak suits, so I'd like to prepare.

This is a pretty good overview
https://www.topcoder.com/community/data-science/data-science-tutorials/dynamic-programming-from-novice-to-advanced/

This guy has a bunch of relatively easy videos to follow where he builds out the matrix for dp problems
https://m.youtube.com/user/tusharroy2525

HackerRank has a section dedicated to dynamic programming problems as well

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I just interviewed for a junior software dev position. Overall I think the interview went well in that I felt confident in all my answers but there were a few details I forgot to mention that I feel would have been helpful, and the two technical questions they asked me were VERY easy but I took a lot longer than necessary to answer them probably out of nervousness. I plan to send a thank you email later today and also try you reiterate some of my key strengths, but how can I address/assure them that I am actually competent enough for the job since they seemed not too convinced, and I feel like I didn't get a lot of chances to really demonstrate my worth? I'm a new grad with engineering degree but I'm looking to pivot into software development so I dont really have the same experience under my belt as compscis do.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
If you didn't get a chance to demonstrate your worth during the technical interviews, their interviewing process is lacking. Interviewers also often try to remain fairly neutral, even if they like a candidate.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

bomblol posted:

What's stopping you?

Replying from a month ago, sorry. I meant that in my area (small town in a small state) I'm lucky if I see one job on offer a month.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Subyng posted:

I just interviewed for a junior software dev position. Overall I think the interview went well in that I felt confident in all my answers but there were a few details I forgot to mention that I feel would have been helpful, and the two technical questions they asked me were VERY easy but I took a lot longer than necessary to answer them probably out of nervousness. I plan to send a thank you email later today and also try you reiterate some of my key strengths, but how can I address/assure them that I am actually competent enough for the job since they seemed not too convinced, and I feel like I didn't get a lot of chances to really demonstrate my worth? I'm a new grad with engineering degree but I'm looking to pivot into software development so I dont really have the same experience under my belt as compscis do.

Obviously no one here can know what they thought of you, so I don't want to build false hope, but what I will say is:

1) Feeling like you forgot to mention that one thing that would have convinced them is completely normal and something everyone experiences after every interview

2) I've been offered several jobs where I feel like I took too long to answer simple questions. Interviewers, if they're any good, will be able to discern lack of knowledge from nervousness.

3) It's impossible to tell how the interview went if they seemed unenthusiastic. If they're keen as hell then you can tell it went well, but unenthusiastic can either mean it went badly or just that they're not wanting to give wrong impressions just in case they don't pick you.

In short, best of luck friend and let us know the result.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do I search for telecommuting jobs? I've always been willing to relocate before so I don't know where to start looking.

My wife is going through the final stages of getting offers from companies in Washington and Illinois so I can't apply to positions in either location because I can't promise I'd be able to move there and one of the cities is small enough I'd likely only be able to find something telecommuting anyways.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

snack has a remote filter: http://stackoverflow.com/jobs?sort=i&r=true

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

MMMMMMmmmm snackoverflooowwww...

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I just went on a second interview for this "Programmer's Assistant" role at a BigCommerce company. It pays $14/hr part time for 30-35 hours per week. I'm wondering if that's a fair paycheck or I should ask for more if they offer me a position.

They had me come in the other day for a test and to have me get a feel for what I'd be doing day-to-day. I passed the test, so I am hoping to hear back this week. The test involved me doing an application install for an express checkout interface on an e-commerce website. They basically wanted me to install the product and find any bugs and document them (such as the page not being responsive, coupon codes not applying properly, and some html markup errors).

They also said I'd probably be dealing with customers on the phone as well.

I know it's part time, but does this really sound like something worth $14 an hour? I'm making more bartending private parties the restaurant I work at now. I thought knowing HTML and CSS alone was valuable.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

Grump posted:

I thought knowing HTML and CSS alone was valuable.

I'm going to sound like an rear end but no.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Grump posted:

I just went on a second interview for this "Programmer's Assistant" role at a BigCommerce company. It pays $14/hr part time for 30-35 hours per week. I'm wondering if that's a fair paycheck or I should ask for more if they offer me a position.

They had me come in the other day for a test and to have me get a feel for what I'd be doing day-to-day. I passed the test, so I am hoping to hear back this week. The test involved me doing an application install for an express checkout interface on an e-commerce website. They basically wanted me to install the product and find any bugs and document them (such as the page not being responsive, coupon codes not applying properly, and some html markup errors).

I know it's part time, but does this really sound like something worth $14 an hour? I'm making more bartending private parties the restaurant I work at now. I thought knowing HTML and CSS alone was valuable.

I'm not sure what "Programmer's Assistant" is, haven't really heard that.

What you described that you did sounds like a QA job.

Always ask for more. Worse that happens is they say no.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Grump posted:

Did you learn html and CSS to help you get a job? If so, what is your goal? It sounds like you're not happy with $14/hr but still considering taking it, which makes me wonder if you plan to aim for a different job after this. If you know what kind of job you want to end up with and what kind of company you want to do it with, it will be easier to give you advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

Grump posted:

That job sounds like an entry-level QA tester. A quick google search suggests median entry level non-engineering software tester salary is more like 40k+, which is ~19.23/hr, so yes, I'd say they're underpaying.

Knowing basic HTML and CSS isn't that useful in a QA role because your job isn't to build anything. (It's "better than nothing" in an entry-level frontend role, but the expectation there would probably be that you spend a few weeks/months ramping up on Javascript and then get thrown into the deep end.)