Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Just want to point out that in this comic strip a barely-adolescent child asks two adults what they can do that he can't, and it is somehow a legitimate question. Get bent Pinky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Sept. 7, 1994)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Pinky looks like some kind of Frankenstein's Monster.

Also I read that as "we go home and do some heavy drinking," which was way funnier.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Pastry of the Year posted:

A pretty good prediction of Baby Boomers loving things up for younger generations.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (August, 1915)

Guess If They Are Married! (August, 1915, click for big)

Illustrated Comical Joke (1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (January, 1916)

The Gay Thirties (March, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (February, 1940, click for big)

"I'm gonna slap you to sleep" Nice.

Mopsy (August, 1940)

Tweedy (September, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1967)

Feiffer (1969, click for big)

Andy Capp (November, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Only took 46 years:

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (September, 2009, click for big)

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis

Thanks for posting old Arlo and Janis strips. I always liked reading the strip in the local paper when I was a kid, though I later came to suspect that I'd enjoyed it only because the rest of the comics were lousy; the city paper had all the big-name strips, while the local one just had The Born Loser, The Grizzwells, and some Far Side ripoff with really hideous art. This thread made me realize that Arlo and Janis was good all along.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set must get the recipe.

Working Daze doesn't get a lot of things.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gets nostalgic.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Slammy posted:

The Gay Thirties (March, 1935, click for big))

Oh wow, this time it's actually a child pretending to be a grown man.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

bean_shadow posted:

How do you get whales inside a building? I mean, I kind of figure they weren't blue whales but still.

Just in case anyone's wondering: they were beluga whales, only about 9' to 18' long (my sources vary). Barnum was touring in Canada when some fishermen happened to net them, so he bought them, then moved them by train, showing them to the public along the way to NYC. They made the trip, but it being the 1860's, they didn't exactly have state of the art aquatic life support. Barnum just kept pumping filthy NY seawater through the tanks, and they died a few months later. No problem, just get some more! They died pretty shortly after they moved in, as well.

Nine whales later, I guess Neptune or Poseidon or Namor finally had enough of Barnum's poo poo and smote the museum. :krakken:

Which I guess technically doesn't answer your question except: very small whales. And while they initially kept them in the basement, they got moved to the second floor of the building. So in addition: really big service elevators.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Kid Fenris posted:

...and some Far Side ripoff with really hideous art. This thread made me realize that Arlo and Janis was good all along.

Close to Home?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Batman and Robin Sunday strips are just a little too large for my scanner, apologies for the blurred edges.

Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Get hosed Gilchrist.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I guess we can't blame him for not knowing his audience.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like how if you have never read a Gilchrist Nancy before you'd be wondering who the old guys are since they are not wearing their VIET NAM VETERAN hats

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

No, you inferred, he implied.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Jungle Jim

"Back then he was known as "Plains James," of course."

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I like how if you have never read a Gilchrist Nancy before you'd be wondering who the old guys are since they are not wearing their VIET NAM VETERAN hats

I only noticed the one on the right first, and for a moment I thought he'd drawn God joining them on the prayer.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This is great. She wormed her way in with the old man, managed to somehow keep him from getting his business (rightfully) taken over, and now there is the whole unsaid (but understood) bit where she stands to inherit all of this, and Jordan, if you play ball, you'll be well rewarded.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Even then you'd just go "why are there two old Vietnam vets?". You'd have to have them wear hats saying
SLUGGO'S
UNCLE.

I like it the way it is, cause it just looks like God's supposed to be with them at the table, twice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like that the one on the left is about the same size as Sluggo.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

drat, that's a fine Dodrio.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Rassle posted:

Close to Home?

That's that one. Looks like it's still around and still ugly.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

This is great. She wormed her way in with the old man, managed to somehow keep him from getting his business (rightfully) taken over, and now there is the whole unsaid (but understood) bit where she stands to inherit all of this, and Jordan, if you play ball, you'll be well rewarded.

It's insane to me how sympathetically she's treated in this strip when in literally any other story in existence the woman who married the senile rich old guy like 3x her age, essentially took over his business herself, shut out his son so no one else would stand to inherit, and then whisked him away to another country would be the villain.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Kid Fenris posted:

Thanks for posting old Arlo and Janis strips. I always liked reading the strip in the local paper when I was a kid, though I later came to suspect that I'd enjoyed it only because the rest of the comics were lousy; the city paper had all the big-name strips, while the local one just had The Born Loser, The Grizzwells, and some Far Side ripoff with really hideous art. This thread made me realize that Arlo and Janis was good all along.

I have a feeling you'll like this one, that I found entirely by accident a few years ago while going through old newspapers. It's another instance of Arlo and Janis being a good and prescient strip.

Arlo and Janis Classic (Feb. 21, 1989)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Endless Mike posted:

I initially thought they were some awkward personification of God and some non-Jesus important figure, like Petrus, Paul or the like. You can understand my bewilderment.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Good God Michael I don't loving care I loving hate you I loving hate your stupid bitch sister the day I allowed your pig father to sully me with his seed was the third worst day of my life, after your birth and your sister's and I will forever resent you openly both for ruining my life and not living life the way I want you to exactly wait why am I old and alone

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (September, 2009, click for big)

drat thats a fine tiger

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Foob summed up in one panel:

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Oh.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ninjas, mobsters and ghosts!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

"I can't fix the perspective in this strip."