Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LegoMan posted:

So one thing you can do to test how bad amenities can get. Do like I did and start a war with Ghandi to kill off his apostle swarm (like literally 14 or 15 of them) forgetting about the war mongering penalty. He refused to end the war for over 1000 years while I wheeled and sealed to get border access to finally kill him. By the time I was done war weariness was so bad I had -9 in my biggest cities and every turn a big city DIDN'T have rebels outside it they would spawn.

Hmm, I didn't realize war weariness gave a penalty to amenities. Are you sure about that? In all the games I played I was always at war with at least one opponent, and my amenities never dropped below -2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Chucat posted:

Wasn't the four city thing because your tech rate just got loving kneecapped whenever you put down a city and 4 was just the best number due to the policy bonuses? Global happiness wasn't the actual brake on expansion based on what I've read.

No, global happiness really was the big brake on expansion. It eased once you got Ideologies (at which point you basically had infinite happiness) but the cost of building a city up from 1 population and no buildings to the point where it was actually worthwhile was so high that it wasn't worth settling new cities at that point.

Tech and social policy rate stuff was a far distant second to that - it was pretty easy to get a city to the point where it paid for itself scientifically and culturally.

Civ 6 is much better regarding empire size than 5 is, maybe it's worth running the numbers to see if settler cost increase needs to be higher, but I think empires with more territory should generally be better than ones with less - more territory means more places for your armies to guard, more neighbours who want your stuff, and you have the increasing opportunity cost on building settlers instead of units and buildings.

I definitely never want to go back to global happiness, it made absolutely no sense that winning wars and taking territory caused your core empire to collapse.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Hmm, I didn't realize war weariness gave a penalty to amenities. Are you sure about that? In all the games I played I was always at war with at least one opponent, and my amenities never dropped below -2.

Yeah, I was constantly at war and got down to -8. A bunch of rebel helicopters popped up in a city and caused a ruckus.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, I was constantly at war and got down to -8. A bunch of rebel helicopters popped up in a city and caused a ruckus.

Could you describe the ruckus, sir?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

Ghandi has a war weariness penalty. It's brutal.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Hey folks, I've been playing this game a lot since the update, trying to get into it, but I still find myself going back to Civ5+expansions+mods the same way a lot of people went back to Civ4 after vanilla Civ5 was a shitshow.

Pros of Civ6: the soundtrack, teddy goddamn roosevelt

Cons of Civ6: the entire UI/visual aesthetic, and the way cities work now.

The whole idea of unstacking cities and arranging them into districts seemed neat, until I bought and played the game. They're actually a pain, and if you or another player mismanage their placement you can't change or remove them. At all. Same goes for Wonders, which now hog a tile I could be growing food on or something. "Amenities" can suck it too.

As for the UI, is it just me or is it a fugly mess compared to 5? Civ5 is clean and sharp with its gorgeous Art Deco inspired interface. Civ6 going from that to this Age of Exploration aesthetic is (literally!) a step backwards. Strategic view also seems messier-looking than 5, and the parchment replacing the fog of war is a change for the worse. Even the leaders look goofy and cartoony (plus Peter and Fatass make me miss Catherine and Wu :q:)

I guess the purpose of all this whining is to find out 1) am I in the grumpy minority here and need to get over it or do a lot of people agree? and 2) If so, is there any chance of mods fixing some of this in the future? I know the visuals can't be changed significantly, but what about the new city system? At the very least I would kill to be able to remove/replace districts. Capturing a city feels a lot less appealing when there's no way to fix the other player's goddamned dumb placement of things.

Oh and one last thing, why does the AI seem so inclined to engage in religion spam? Even when I have religious victory turned off? It seems like I'm always having to send apostles to throw lightning down on some fools just to keep my religion from being overrun.

obligatory :goonsay:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LegoMan posted:

Ghandi has a war weariness penalty. It's brutal.

Oh dang, yeah, totally forgot about that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Feranon posted:

Hey folks, I've been playing this game a lot since the update, trying to get into it, but I still find myself going back to Civ5+expansions+mods the same way a lot of people went back to Civ4 after vanilla Civ5 was a shitshow.

Pros of Civ6: the soundtrack, teddy goddamn roosevelt

Cons of Civ6: the entire UI/visual aesthetic, and the way cities work now.

The whole idea of unstacking cities and arranging them into districts seemed neat, until I bought and played the game. They're actually a pain, and if you or another player mismanage their placement you can't change or remove them. At all. Same goes for Wonders, which now hog a tile I could be growing food on or something. "Amenities" can suck it too.

As for the UI, is it just me or is it a fugly mess compared to 5? Civ5 is clean and sharp with its gorgeous Art Deco inspired interface. Civ6 going from that to this Age of Exploration aesthetic is (literally!) a step backwards. Strategic view also seems messier-looking than 5, and the parchment replacing the fog of war is a change for the worse. Even the leaders look goofy and cartoony (plus Peter and Fatass make me miss Catherine and Wu :q:)

I guess the purpose of all this whining is to find out 1) am I in the grumpy minority here and need to get over it or do a lot of people agree? and 2) If so, is there any chance of mods fixing some of this in the future? I know the visuals can't be changed significantly, but what about the new city system? At the very least I would kill to be able to remove/replace districts. Capturing a city feels a lot less appealing when there's no way to fix the other player's goddamned dumb placement of things.

Oh and one last thing, why does the AI seem so inclined to engage in religion spam? Even when I have religious victory turned off? It seems like I'm always having to send apostles to throw lightning down on some fools just to keep my religion from being overrun.

obligatory :goonsay:

Many people share some of your concerns (all of them have been mentioned, you are not alone) but since you have ALL of those concerns you're in "grumpy minority." Tile placement bonuses are nice but not huge and the inability to alter placement is not crippling. Amenities are an improvement over Civ V. The inability to build literally every structure the game would ever let one civ build in one single city is the selling point of VI, since it means you don't just. . . do that . . . in every game.

Religion spam is valuable for the same reason it was valuable in V: you get bonuses for people following your religion elsewhere in varying ways.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
After reading this thread I think I must be the only goon who doesn't reroll it's start. I won my last immortal game with Egypt without a river and I'm currently on a Japan game where I started on Tundra.

Where's the challenge otherwise!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think I'm the only one who loves theological combat. There's just something about watching my inquisitors shout it out with a bunch of apostles. It's much more fun than converting folks in Civ 5. It helps that the AI is just as bad at it as they are at regular combat, so you can generally win an even "fight" with no casualties.

The "heal to full" option should really appear when you're near a holy site, though. This game's UI is so bad.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ice Fist posted:

You need to get open borders and trade routes with everybody. Also having the same religion also helps. All of those things give a massive tourism bonus when paired with proper policy.

Also it's hard to do this before 1900 and even harder if anybody is also going for a culture victory.

Ah, open borders definitely something I've been ignoring. Basically I've dismissed the diplomacy AI and that's prob a huge factor

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

homullus posted:

Many people share some of your concerns (all of them have been mentioned, you are not alone) but since you have ALL of those concerns you're in "grumpy minority."

Yeah, that's fair :v:

homullus posted:

The inability to build literally every structure the game would ever let one civ build in one single city is the selling point of VI, since it means you don't just. . . do that . . . in every game.

But it's fuuuuuuuun! I enjoyed having a hunger games dystopia where the opulent capital has everything and all the outlying cities are just expendable unit-factories. I understand it's ultimately better this way, mainly I just wish you could change or remove district tiles. Especially that first playthrough when you start unlocking new district types and realize "aw poo poo, I should have saved that tile for this district"

And yeah, I forgot about all the bonuses that can come with converting other countries to your religion. Civ5 at least had a dialogue option where you could ask other leaders to knock it off with the missionaries, and sometimes they'd even comply! No such luck this time around, so dudes in robes casting Bolt it is.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Feranon posted:

Yeah, that's fair :v:

But it's fuuuuuuuun! I enjoyed having a hunger games dystopia where the opulent capital has everything and all the outlying cities are just expendable unit-factories. I understand it's ultimately better this way, mainly I just wish you could change or remove district tiles. Especially that first playthrough when you start unlocking new district types and realize "aw poo poo, I should have saved that tile for this district"

And yeah, I forgot about all the bonuses that can come with converting other countries to your religion. Civ5 at least had a dialogue option where you could ask other leaders to knock it off with the missionaries, and sometimes they'd even comply! No such luck this time around, so dudes in robes casting Bolt it is.

If you're having district regret now, just wait until you discover the multiple ways you can screw up otherwise perfect National Park locations!

Also, to add a tiny complaint of my own to the list, you've reminded me that I would love some variation in the religious combat animation because right now it is just lightning bolt over and over for every single religious unit from the ancient era to the endgame. Even if you don't go religion yourself, you still see it when the AI slugs it out over your cities so it really would be nice if there was a set of animations to play at random instead. There's a lot of possibilities, it doesn't just have to be lightning! How about the loser gets hit with a swarm of beasts, or a divine tornado, or the Earth cracking open so demons can drag the opposition to hell or heck even the foot from Monty Python?

Appease me Firaxis, or I will summon tentacles to drag you to a watery grave...:cthulhu:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gort posted:

Civ 6 is much better regarding empire size than 5 is, maybe it's worth running the numbers to see if settler cost increase needs to be higher, but I think empires with more territory should generally be better than ones with less - more territory means more places for your armies to guard, more neighbours who want your stuff, and you have the increasing opportunity cost on building settlers instead of units and buildings.

I definitely never want to go back to global happiness, it made absolutely no sense that winning wars and taking territory caused your core empire to collapse.

I prefer small empires and I don't want the game to encourage otherwise. I guess when it comes to size Civ4 probably suited me best. Cities got huge borders and it was easy to have big and good cities.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Taear posted:

I prefer small empires and I don't want the game to encourage otherwise. I guess when it comes to size Civ4 probably suited me best. Cities got huge borders and it was easy to have big and good cities.

Civ 4 doesn't encourage small empires. It encourages you to have say four or five cities at first, and then as the corruption barrier gets lifted piece by piece you can have larger and larger empires, eventually ending up with a world-spanning communist mega-empire of as many cities as you want.

I'd say the advice for a player who likes small empires in Civ 6 is the same as it was in Civ 4 - play on small maps.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Poil posted:

I tried a standard sized continents map with two less AI's and low water level to get a little more space. Naturally I immediately met Spain who started crying about my armies and cities being close and then Russia settled a city right next to my capital. The game doesn't even attempt to spread out players, right? All in one big blob and maybe one who gets an entire landmass to themselves. Alt+f4.

I think these lines from GlobalParameters.xml are involved:

code:
		<Row Name="START_DISTANCE_MAJOR_CIVILIZATION" Value="9" />

<Row Name="START_DISTANCE_MAJOR_NATURAL_WONDER" Value="4" />

<Row Name="START_DISTANCE_MINOR_CIVILIZATION" Value="5" />

<Row Name="START_DISTANCE_MINOR_NATURAL_WONDER" Value="3" />

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Does anyone else find that AIs really hate building close to city states? They seem pretty happy building cities nestled on the borders of other AIs or the human player, but they always seem to leave lots of space around city states.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Gort posted:

Civ 4 doesn't encourage small empires. It encourages you to have say four or five cities at first, and then as the corruption barrier gets lifted piece by piece you can have larger and larger empires, eventually ending up with a world-spanning communist mega-empire of as many cities as you want.

I'd say the advice for a player who likes small empires in Civ 6 is the same as it was in Civ 4 - play on small maps.

In Civ 4 you need at least 6 cities to win consistently (for Oxford) on high difficulty levels.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 31, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well you kind of need culture for the civics tree

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Powercrazy posted:

In Civ4 you'd just open up the world builder on turn 1 and do a quick scan to make sure the map was ok. Alas, that technology has been lost however.

SMAC had an option that let you see the land/water of the map through FoW from the very beginning that was useful for exactly that same reason.

My friend I have a solution for what ails you.

\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\AppOptions
Change EnableDebugMenu 1

` Reveal All

protip: Move your starting warrior and go to the next turn to spawn barbarians/get credit for "a second continent" foreign trade eureka, otherwise you won't be able to discover a new continent because everything already revealed. wait one turn and then reveal, and you'll discover a "second continent".
There are mods to enable an ingame menu restart map option too, but it seems to discolour city states to random instead of appropriate colours.

edit: Also autosaves, you can reload back to turn 1 to the same map before the reveal if you need to play that way. I figure the AI cheats anyhow.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 20, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Do holy cities work the same way they did in the last game, i.e. do they eventually reassert their original religion, even if you take it over?

Trying for a proper religious victory this time. Since my next-door neighbor was Kongo this was an easy way to make friends!

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Speedball posted:

Do holy cities work the same way they did in the last game, i.e. do they eventually reassert their original religion, even if you take it over?

Noooooooope.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't know how anyone can dislike the art style, it's cartoony style looks way better than the boring realistic style of 5. I guess different strokes.

Something I am finding is that playing on a map with smaller land masses (not as in a small map, but with more water less land) ads a bunch of challenges. You really have to think about what kind of districts you build in each city. You can easily get a harbour in every city, but you cannot just slap down a campus, encampment and entertainment district, then realize you have to sacrifice a luxury or bonus resource to build a spaceport, or even secure more food if you don't have enough ocean squares with food on them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Noooooooope.

Excellent. Time to overwhelm the world in the faith of Asskicking!

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

twistedmentat posted:

I don't know how anyone can dislike the art style, it's cartoony style looks way better than the boring realistic style of 5. I guess different strokes.

I find elements of it don't visually read very well, particularly hills and certain improvements. I feel like the game doesn't use color very well, and the sepia cloth map fog of war is manageable, but I prefer traditional fog of war. A lot of these problems become worse with day/night cycles turned on.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Eyochigan posted:

My friend I have a solution for what ails you.

\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\AppOptions
Change EnableDebugMenu 1

` Reveal All

protip: Move your starting warrior and go to the next turn to spawn barbarians/get credit for "a second continent" foreign trade eureka, otherwise you won't be able to discover a new continent because everything already revealed. wait one turn and then reveal, and you'll discover a "second continent".
There are mods to enable an ingame menu restart map option too, but it seems to discolour city states to random instead of appropriate colours.

edit: Also autosaves, you can reload back to turn 1 to the same map before the reveal if you need to play that way. I figure the AI cheats anyhow.

Whoa. Extremely my poo poo. Thanks.

e: Not as good as the world builder, but definitely an improvement.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 20, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I am so, so, so sick of "Scarborough Fair".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

prefect posted:

I turned off music.

Periodiko posted:

I find elements of it don't visually read very well, particularly hills and certain improvements. I feel like the game doesn't use color very well, and the sepia cloth map fog of war is manageable, but I prefer traditional fog of war. A lot of these problems become worse with day/night cycles turned on.

I don't really have a problem with it, even with the d/n cycles on. I actually love the olde timey map fog of war way more than the just boring black/grey haze of most games.

So Wonders, a lot of the time I end up building them because i have tundra or desert I can't do anything with so I stick a wonder there, but some wonders I really try to get, mostly the ones that give bonus civic slots. Also a big fan of the Pyramids for the extra building actions. I didn't see a modern wonder that did the same thing though.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Speedball posted:

Excellent. Time to overwhelm the world in the faith of Asskicking!
even better. If you convert a holy city or any city that can make religious units they will pump out apostles of your religion and spread it for you!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wonders are kind of underwhelming in this version. I know they add some later on in the expansions but there are only a couple I look to build each game. Considering how much goes into building them and the fact they take up a tile, they should provide more value.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

The patch is great but the AI is still annoyingly broken. Just had another game where I met a civilization and the very next screen after the introductions is them declaring war on me and then (assumedly) their buddy declaring war on me. All before they could even do anything to me since they just have galleys and can't embark yet. I don't think this is ever going to get fixed but it would be nice if they could chill the gently caress out for once.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

Who has that?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jastiger posted:

Who has that?

England.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jastiger posted:

Who has that?

England. And Victoria is (as you might expect) incredibly snobby and I do not like her attitude. "We are Victoria..." :rant:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Victoria's also in like every game for some reason.

When you meet Phillip, you can hear him start with "nos somos Felipe" so it's not like Victoria's the only rear end in a top hat using the plural personal. :v:

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Lmao if you don't groove to the rhythm of the Brazilian theme. Clap if possible.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gimnbo posted:

Victoria's also in like every game for some reason.

When you meet Phillip, you can hear him start with "nos somos Felipe" so it's not like Victoria's the only rear end in a top hat using the plural personal. :v:

I wonder about the foreign languages. I was taught in school that you introduce yourself with "je m'appelle $name", and Catherine says "je suis Catherine".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

prefect posted:

I wonder about the foreign languages. I was taught in school that you introduce yourself with "je m'appelle $name", and Catherine says "je suis Catherine".

Maybe it's not saying "My name is" and instead saying "I am the institution known as". :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

silvergoose posted:

Maybe it's not saying "My name is" and instead saying "I am the institution known as". :3:

Could be. I'm not a real French person, so it could be a-okay grammatically. :shrug:

Also, Philip is just a huge rear end in a top hat at all times. Victoria's a snot ("thank you for the gifts; rest assured we will treat them with the respect they deserve"), but Philip calls your delegates heretics and wants to inquisition them for having wrong thoughts. Never not an rear end in a top hat. :mad: