Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Did you read the link I set? It involves calling Verizon to enable Ethernet from the ONT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The downside with using ONT is if you use FIOS TV it stops working because it requires their modem. I remember setting up the Verizon modem into some mode, can't remember what exactly I did as this was a few years ago, to get everything working correctly. But I set it up to have my router do everything.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I thought my link covered that and getting both the TV guides and Ethernet working.

I give up though, best of luck figuring it out.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, tell me how much my setup sucks.

My Plex server is running off my computer I do everything off of. The media is located:

2 internal hard drives (3 TBs each)
2 external USB 3.0 hard drives (4 TBs each)

Now, I also keep stuff like my music library and photos on one. And my Steam library is spread out across them, too.

I'm needing to add one more hard drive to the mix, probably a 5 TB. Would going external be much of a big deal? I know ideally I'd have a RAID setup with another computer being the server...but I also don't want to drop $500+ on the setup. There's only 2-3 other people that occasionally stream off of this server. Everything runs fine..

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

89 posted:

Everything runs fine..

Seems ok to me

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Not a big a deal to not RAID it up?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I don't know enough to really comment on that, I was more thinking if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Can you even do a RAID with drives of various sizes like you currently have? I was under the impression that you needed a bunch of equal sized drives such that any one could potentially hold all the data if all other failed. So you'd need not just a new machine, but also a bunch of new drives.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I don't know enough to really comment on that, I was more thinking if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Can you even do a RAID with drives of various sizes like you currently have? I was under the impression that you needed a bunch of equal sized drives such that any one could potentially hold all the data if all other failed. So you'd need not just a new machine, but also a bunch of new drives.

You can't do Raid with various drive sizes in most cases. Synology's SHR-1/2 (Synology's version of Raid 5/6 for their NAS appliances) can use various drive sizes. Stablebit Drivepool, a program for windows doesn't care what drive size you have and just lumps it all together and lets you setup parity in various ways though it's not really Raid.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

89 posted:

My Plex server is running off my computer I do everything off of. The media is located:

2 internal hard drives (3 TBs each)
2 external USB 3.0 hard drives (4 TBs each)

Now, I also keep stuff like my music library and photos on one. And my Steam library is spread out across them, too.

I'm needing to add one more hard drive to the mix, probably a 5 TB. Would going external be much of a big deal? I know ideally I'd have a RAID setup with another computer being the server...but I also don't want to drop $500+ on the setup. There's only 2-3 other people that occasionally stream off of this server. Everything runs fine..

I have 3 external drives connected to my dedicated Plex server, along with 4 internal drives. They're not in RAID, but I do have them backed up/pooled together into a single volume using DrivePool — the program havenwaters mentioned. Getting another external hard drive for your setup won't be a big deal. Like you said though, ideally you'd want another computer being the server, but you don't necessarily have to drop $500+ on that. There are plenty of deals/sales for barebones servers in the ~$200 range that just need hard drives and an OS to, e.g., the Lenovo TS140 or Dell T20. Black Friday or Cyber Monday might yield even lower prices on those two entry level models.

Personally, If I were in your shoes with your current scenario and wanted the ideal setup, I'd set aside some cash to drop on a TS140 or T20 and another internal drive for the main PC to transfer over Steam games. Then I'd migrate the storage drives, or whichever drives are being used to store media, over to the TS140 or T20. Are you using Plex for your music and photos too? Because it can do that.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
A friend of mine signed up for Plex and I got him added to my server. However, when he's watching through my server via his XBONE, the "Now Playing" shows as my user and my dashboard is now showing the poo poo he's watching as On Deck. Why isn't it tagging to his user? I have a couple of other friend using my Plex and I don't recall having to do anything to get that to correctly associate with their user.

Edit: Apparently the answer is that he just clicked a user at random. Well that just makes sense.

Mortanis fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 19, 2016

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Don't RAID at home

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mortanis posted:

A friend of mine signed up for Plex and I got him added to my server. However, when he's watching through my server via his XBONE, the "Now Playing" shows as my user and my dashboard is now showing the poo poo he's watching as On Deck. Why isn't it tagging to his user? I have a couple of other friend using my Plex and I don't recall having to do anything to get that to correctly associate with their user.

Edit: Apparently the answer is that he just clicked a user at random. Well that just makes sense.

Why is your account set up on his XBONE for him to click on though?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

Don't RAID at home

What? You'll have to be a lot more specific for anyone to take you seriously.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

teagone posted:

Why is your account set up on his XBONE for him to click on though?

Someone didn't know how to do invites via email is my guess.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fuzz posted:

Someone didn't know how to do invites via email is my guess.

Game sharing is my guess.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Wibla posted:

What? You'll have to be a lot more specific for anyone to take you seriously.

He/she probably means because it's usually pointless. It's not a data protection scheme and configurations used to provide more speed have been long surpassed in the consumer market.

RAID isn't backup. The most common configuration for home users (either mirroring or parity striping across multiple identical disks to create an aggregate storage volume that protects against some level hardware failure) can and is done better by other methods, like the aforementioned DrivePool and others.

And as a data protection scheme RAID is bunk. Parity striping RAID (5/6/etc.) is about protecting volume integrity in case of single (or double, depends how you set it up) hardware failure, which is not the same thing as protecting data - protecting data can be a byproduct of that process, sure, but it's not the point of it.

It's also a problem these days with consumer spindle drives 2TB or larger, since they take forever to rebuild in case of failure and the rebuilding process can actually trigger another failure, in which case you are sunk.

ZFS has become more popular in recent years for home use (FreeNAS, TruNAS, others). Without getting in to the weeds on it ZFS is designed around data integrity and protection regardless of the underlying hardware. Takes an investment of time to understand/get working but there are more than a few PMS setups out there running on a FreeNAS server. Including, you might have guessed, me.

If you want to keep it simple just use Stablebit DrivePool on your Windows box and let it do its thing, it will walk you through it.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 19, 2016

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Yah, sorry, I know my post was inflammatory and I apologize. Ixian is spot on. People vastly overestimate the benefit of RAID and vastly underestimate the downsides.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you have 10 TB of data that you'd have to pull down from the cloud during failure, RAID is sure as poo poo pretty useful.

Don't RAID at home is a dumb statement.

RAID is not backup is a perfectly fine statement. Use that one instead.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't care if I lose the majority of my media.

My NAS is great. 2x drive failure protection in a great relatively small box with a solid OS that runs crashplan on the media I care about.

I have the same one at work. We've had all 5 drives fail. Rebuilt every time within 24 hours.

Couldn't be happier with my overkill RAID at home.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
My storage needs for my Plex server are: large storage pools that can endure 1-2 drive failures, ideally able to handle mixed drive sizes and online expansion when I need it by purchasing a single drive at a time. ZFS sucks for that.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Dem Bones posted:

My storage needs for my Plex server are: large storage pools that can endure 1-2 drive failures, ideally able to handle mixed drive sizes and online expansion when I need it by purchasing a single drive at a time. ZFS sucks for that.

Stablebit Drivepool if you want to run a Windows server otherwise UnRAID.

ZFS is particularly good for media if you can deal with its management requirements.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Talk of raid always reminds me of a quote "Raid 0 is exactly how much data you'll get back if a drive dies"

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Irritated Goat posted:

Talk of raid always reminds me of a quote "Raid 0 is exactly how much data you'll get back if a drive dies"

idgi I will get all of my data back because I had it properly backed up.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
RAID 0 is super nice for having my two smaller SSDs merge into one volume for my OS and apps drive without really having to gently caress with anything. If one of the drives fails I'll have to reinstall windows and some applications but all of my data I need to keep is backed up.

RAID rules.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Managed to get Plex streaming back on my network, but it's still inaccessible outside the network. Sucks, but at least my GF can watch stuff on the Roku. For now, I guess this is the best I can hope for. Haven't called Verizon to do the modem thing, but kinda don't want to go that route if possible since a Verizon tech friend I know (who helped me troubleshoot my old Double-NAT issues) suggested that they secretly throttle people's connections if they do that, although that sounds like ridiculous :tinfoil: stuff to me.

Really odd that it would just totally break... I'm really curious about what the hell Plex did to their Server program that has suddenly hosed it all up... according to Verizon tech I chatted Online with nothing has changed on their end, either firmware or network wise, in the last 2 months. :confused:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

lovely ISP not admitting fault you say?

The issue is not with PLEX.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Khablam posted:

lovely ISP not admitting fault you say?

The issue is not with PLEX.

Considering Cox and Time Warner still exist, I'd hardly call FiOS lovely. :rolleyes:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My time warner connection is loving amazing fwiw. Bring my own modem so no fuckery network wise. 200/20 and has gone down once in like 16months.

I got the 20 up specifically for Plex as I'm on the road a lot and it's been worth it.

Their maxx service is no joke.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

sellouts posted:

My time warner connection is loving amazing fwiw. Bring my own modem so no fuckery network wise. 200/20 and has gone down once in like 16months.

I got the 20 up specifically for Plex as I'm on the road a lot and it's been worth it.

Their maxx service is no joke.

Yeah, but how much does that cost you monthly? With my discount I get 50/50 that reliably actually does low 60s u/d for $45/month. There's also no bandwidth cap or throttling. That's crazy cheap for that sort of upload, and I have yet to have an outage in over a year. My discount is through work, I'm not an ex employee or anything.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think 70? No cap here.

I'll be honest, could cost me 170. I'd probably still pay it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Considering Cox and Time Warner still exist, I'd hardly call FiOS lovely. :rolleyes:

Which ones don't mandate you use a particular proprietary router that makes using non-web traffic a crapshoot? I'd go with them.

If you just google any combination of fios router and plex there are a lot of people having random issues. But sure blame the update that no one else is having issues with.
It's classic XY problem.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
FiOS is the thing you threaten to switch to so your cable company keeps your internet bill low and magically makes your connection reach its advertised speed when you're lucky enough to have it in your neighborhood. You're not supposed to, you know, actually use it.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
https://whatbox.ca/wiki/Plex

It's only $7/month more than I'm paying right now. I'm on the waiting list for account migration. Trip report as I go: I have no idea what I'm doing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sarcasmatron posted:

https://whatbox.ca/wiki/Plex

It's only $7/month more than I'm paying right now. I'm on the waiting list for account migration. Trip report as I go: I have no idea what I'm doing.

I don't really understand the urge to go offsite with Plex but I'm curious to see how this turns out for you.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

I don't really understand the urge to go offsite with Plex but I'm curious to see how this turns out for you.

I want to get end-to-end workflow dialed in before I drop a bunch of money on a NAS. Also, my commute is to a different timezone.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ixian posted:

ZFS has become more popular in recent years for home use (FreeNAS, TruNAS, others). Without getting in to the weeds on it ZFS is designed around data integrity and protection regardless of the underlying hardware. Takes an investment of time to understand/get working but there are more than a few PMS setups out there running on a FreeNAS server. Including, you might have guessed, me.

Raidz and raidz2 are also types of raid. Even shared nothing architectures that use erasure coding are colloquially called "network raid" these days. Saying "don't raid at home" is a really silly statement absent any clarifying information and is mostly a silly one even with clarifying information.

Do you care about the availability of the data on your home network? Then you should probably ensure it in whatever way is economically and practically feasible. Raid-5 is better than nothing but worse than other things.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 22, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

big money big clit posted:

Raidz and raidz2 are also types of raid. Even shared nothing architectures that use erasure coding are colloquially called "network raid" these days. Saying "don't raid at home" is a really silly statement absent any clarifying information and is mostly a silly one even with clarifying information.

Do you care about the availability of the data on your home network? Then you should probably ensure it in whatever way is economically and practically feasible. Raid-5 is better than nothing but worse than other things.

I wasn't the poster who said "don't raid at home". I was just clarifying that if you want to do real data and volume protection at home do it right and do your research otherwise you are setting yourself up for a false sense of security. There are a lot of otherwise bright people throwing a bunch of drives together with their motherboard or OSs RAID software and thinking they are protected against data loss.

For speed, it's mostly unnecessary for serving up media (the original topic) especially with spindle drives.

The strange thing to me is the reason I see come up the most is so people can have one large drive volume/letter instead of several and don't care about the protection aspect at all. For software like Plex that doesn't matter a bit since you can add multiple sources....actually with modern OS's it doesn't matter either.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Trip Report: TL;DR: Incredibly easy to get set up; incremental cost above what I'm already paying the seedbox host: $5.

Whatbox was very explicit on the setup instructions, that took me about 5 minutes. Since everything is sitting on a *nix server, I have a lot of options available as far as file management and file renaming: I managed to get about 600GB of movies and TV shows copied into the appropriate directories and renamed in about an hour and everything is running great.

Biggest problem I'm having right now is with music. I have several playlists that I've created that I want Plex to treat as an album, and it's not. It picks up the directory, but instead of showing me one album with 65 tracks, Plex is treating the playlist as 65 albums with one track.

The 65 Tracks are all in the same directory: .../Media/Music/Various/Cover/01-track.mp3

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate the help. I don't want to use the Plex playlist feature, as I've already created the playlist. I want Plex to treat the user-created directory as an album.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It seems extortionate for what it is, but if it works for you that's cool.