Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Actually how do chocobos work? I thought about it slightly more and it's my main FFXV concern. You rent them for some days and can ride them around and park them wherever, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Caphi posted:

Actually how do chocobos work? I thought about it slightly more and it's my main FFXV concern. You rent them for some days and can ride them around and park them wherever, right?

You get a flute to summon them under rental, and you can race with them in a mini-game.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I've been playing FFVI while waiting for XV to come out and quite frankly based on this experience XV feels like a Final Fantasy game in everything but the gameplay which I don't feel like is an unacceptable departure at all.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Every Final Fantasy is different. No two Final Fantasies are not the worst.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Caphi posted:

You can take them to the skate park and do kickflips and other sweet moves. There's a whole minigame.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I think I'll play as usual, rent chocobos from Duscae, then go back and use them to clear up stuff in the first zone until feeling satisfied. I wanna bulk up unless there's an NG+ that will want me to do that sort of grind.

DrakePegasus posted:

Every Final Fantasy is different. No two Final Fantasies are not the worst.

Hold my Gysahl Green Beer and watch this

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 20, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Caphi posted:

You rent a flute that lasts I think 5 in game days and you can summon them at any time.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You choose how many days you want to rent them for. 50 gil per day.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope you can get an unlimited flute at some point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There are more and more legit spoilers around now, and I don't know if it's gone and I shan't be detailing it here, but there was an either hilariously bad or hilariously malicious attempt "disguising" a spoiler on a GameFAQS thread title, so definitely don't go into that neck of the woods!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Fyi I'm going to die trying to play FFXV, tomb raider, pokemon, skyrim, and killing floor 2.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The game does not auto-save.
The full game that is. Some streamer rage-quit on finding that out, he was late chapter 2, died, got back at the start of the chapter.

e: Odd. I don't remember the demo auto-saving because I'm used to doing it manually, but it's best to run manual saves always. Now I'll stop peeking into the ff15 spoiler thread on gaf. Let's only go black bars when the real release is here.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 20, 2016

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Considering the demo does auto-save I guess that's what you get playing games before day one patches these days.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

MrLonghair posted:

The full game that is. Some streamer rage-quit on finding that out, he was late chapter 2, died, got back at the start of the chapter.

e: Odd. I don't remember the demo auto-saving because I'm used to doing it manually, but it's best to run manual saves always. Now I'll stop peeking into the ff15 spoiler thread on gaf. Let's only go black bars when the real release is here.

That contradicts what the mini-guide says about auto-saving. It should save at "discrete story milestones or

MrLonghair posted:

That contradicts what the mini-guide says about auto-saving. The game should save at "discrete story milestones or when your party rests (such as even you make camp)." Still, anyone who's ever played an RPG before ought to know to make multiple saves and save often. I wouldn't trust any RPG to auto-save because of how many things tend to be missable in an RPG and how you might decide to tackle something entirely differently with a little foreknowledge.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would imagine that he'd fallen prey of a particularly nasty little bug but for the love of Lightning, always hard save when you have finished playing for the mean time regardless of the game should the option be available, even if you leave your game and console running.

MrLonghair posted:

Now I'll stop peeking into the ff15 spoiler thread on gaf.
I don't mind spoilers for anything and I love schadenfreude and they deliver in that thread.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'm actually less fussed about getting story beats spoiled and want to rather dodge getting spoiled on party interaction and setpieces.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is it still that brazillian streamer or are other countries getting early releases?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Are all of these streamers showing stuff we've seen a million times already? Cuz it sure seems that way.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Augus posted:

Are all of these streamers showing stuff we've seen a million times already? Cuz it sure seems that way.

90% of the demos and previews were in the first 3 chapters so it's going to take a while to get to actual new stuff unless they literally skip every possible non MSQ.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Someone on 4chan from Peru posted screens from their own game and confirmed major plot elements. I'm not sure about streams at all. There's definitely some new stuff out there, be it locations, grabs of existing parts or otherwise.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is there such a thing as the Final Fantasy cycle yet akin to the Zelda cycle? Because some of the leaked spoilers have made people completely flip out and declare Final Fantasy XIII a much better game when they hated it before. The spoilers themselves aren't even that bad and are completely out of context and you can make any of the previous games sound lovely if you spoil them without context.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have a short memory, but I think this is really the first time I remember where a mainline FF hasn't been a monster hype machine everyone's looking forward to and everyone is going to love before it hit. XIII getting a poo poo rep is probably the main contributor to it.

Might be a state of gaming as a whole but it certainly seems that you've got more people laughing at innocuous things, already hashing out their effort posts about just how -ist it is for others. It's a social media world, everyone has the right and need to pipe up.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 20, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Is there such a thing as the Final Fantasy cycle yet akin to the Zelda cycle? Because some of the leaked spoilers have made people completely flip out and declare Final Fantasy XIII a much better game when they hated it before. The spoilers themselves aren't even that bad and are completely out of context and you can make any of the previous games sound lovely if you spoil them without context.

There absolutely is a Final Fantasy cycle. It's hard to remember but almost every time a new FF game comes out it's called terrible and awful. FFIX and FFX both were considered jokes and people loved making fun of how 'lovely' they were at the time. FFIX basically got Wind Wakered ("Why is it so cartoony") and FFX having voice acting/a crazy plot/ect meant it was the butt of jokes for a while.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Games part of a long franchise often find themselves only as good as the last one people played and for a lot that was FF13, which still manages to make people so frothing mad that they actively want anything with the FF name in it to fail, if not S-E as a whole.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want to invent a way that collects every post on the intermet that's mad about FF13 and then reveals if they've actually played it yet and see what the true number is.

Part of me still thinks it's still at least partly because of what they've been told.

And this magic method also makes these posters appreciate Lightning.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm getting reminded again that people are very bad at anything remotely actiony

Tabata literally gave people an option to hold dodge to forever avoid things and people still getting hit by 10 second start up attacks

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm getting reminded again that people are very bad at anything remotely actiony

Tabata literally gave people an option to hold dodge to forever avoid things and people still getting hit by 10 second start up attacks

Easy mode also removes all the teeth from the game. Like we've seen some cases in the demo were people were taking down level 39 mobs on easy mode and get dunked on mercilessly by a level 15 mob while they were 5 in the normal version.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

tbf it doesn't actually let you dodge everything

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

lets hang out posted:

tbf it doesn't actually let you dodge everything

The guy I'm watching hasn't avoided an attack once

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

ImpAtom posted:

FFIX and FFX both were considered jokes and people loved making fun of how 'lovely' they were at the time. FFIX basically got Wind Wakered ("Why is it so cartoony") and FFX having voice acting/a crazy plot/ect meant it was the butt of jokes for a while.

Really? I thought FF9 was very well reviewed. Looks like Gamespot reviewed the Japanese copy during the summer and other, major sites reviewed it in November when the US version came out.

IGN review posted:

9.9 - GRAPHICS - Too beautiful for words. Every aspect of this game drips with detail - goodness knows how many artists it took to create something like this.

Gamespot review posted:

Graphically, Final Fantasy IX is slightly improved over Final Fantasy VIII. The backgrounds are rich, vibrant, and realistic. Many backgrounds are animated, which further increases the amount of visual detail. The in-game character models are slightly less detailed than those found in Chrono Cross - no doubt because there are four player characters onscreen instead of three. The full motion video cutscenes are as detailed as those in Final Fantasy VIII, though of course the characters themselves don't look as real. Square has been pushing the limits of what the PlayStation can reasonably do for quite a while, so it's difficult to see much improvement over previous games. Even so, Final Fantasy IX is one of the most graphically impressive games available on the console.

Happy Puppy review posted:

...Square pushes the graphics envelope of the PlayStation with more than just snazzy summoning moments. The FMVs are truly among the best stuff this developer has put out, while the prerendered backgrounds and player animations are as detailed as you can get on a machine that has perhaps reached obsolescence. There is movement everywhere in the game, and the city of Lindblum seems truly alive with its whirring windmills and propellers. The FMV sequence when you first enter Lindblum inspires awe like the time you first see Los Angeles in Blade Runner.

The only real negativity I have come across is always related to the audio. Can't say with FFX because I didn't get a PS2 until 2005 (had a GameCube and Xbox, though) and wasn't paying attention anymore, but I really don't think FF9 was ever dismissed as being cartoony...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Reviewers and fandom are on opposite sides a lot of the times. Look at FF13 or Devil May Cry reboot which the reviewers raved about it and the fandom loathed it. Hell, the director of Zelda said the reason why Twilight Princess looked the way it did was because of the fan backlash from the "Celda" look of windwaker.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah even though reviewers loved IX, people really did hate it at the time and it didn't sell overly well either. It became more of a cult classic than anything over the years, possibly by people who played it at the time and hated it but are now nostalgic for it without ever replaying it because battles are a tremendous slog in that game unless you're playing the Steam version. I can't remember, but did people freak out as much about VII when that came out? Or were the naysayers who played the previous games drowned out by the praise from others who were introduced to the series with VII? I was a bit too young to remember.

I think the biggest problem with XV is that it's seen as being in development for more than 10 years and therefore it has to be the most awesome game ever when that's really unfair as development didn't really start until 2012 and everything before then was mostly Nomura faffing around and changing his mind constantly on the game design, even wanting to make Versus XIII a musical at one point. It may honestly have been better if they did what they did with Stella/Luna and just completely change the characters and ditch all elements of Versus XIII completely. That way people wouldn't have such stupidly inflated expectations and willing to call it a failure and the worst game ever because the LOD doesn't look great for a PS4 game or because of one out of context spoiler.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 20, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Windwaker and FF9 are I think the biggest examples in games of fan communities initially being negative but coming to really love them over time. There were plenty of people who loved them at release (I had a friend who didn't love Windwaker from day one and spent every night defending it online, and I loved FF9 from day one myself) but both had a major change in perception that outlasted the initial wave of hate.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 20, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Drinking game: One chug every time you see a review containing "10 years in the making"

I'm pretty sure the main reason why ff9 didn't sell as well was because it released close to or after the ps2. It was one of those super late bloomers, and FFX was like only a year later.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People freaked out about FF7, especially Square's 'betrayal' of switching from Nintendo to Sony.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh my god, they play a 4 player game on their phone while resting at a trailer

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Tae posted:

I'm pretty sure the main reason why ff9 didn't sell as well was because it released close to or after the ps2. It was one of those super late bloomers, and FFX was like only a year later.

It also helps that Greatest Hits FF7 and FF8 could be bought for $10 at nearly every video game retailer during the years 2000-2001, which is where a huge chunk of their sales came from, whereas FF9 was a full-priced title that wasn't released in the US until after the PS2 launched. FF7 and FF8 plus strategy guides cost me as much as just the copy of FF9 when I got my PSone. I guess I just hung out in a different circle than y'all because everyone I hung out with or talked to online loved it. Sorry to derail the thread. I forgot there's a general FF thread.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tae posted:

Drinking game: One chug every time you see a review containing "10 years in the making"

That's definitely part of it, but not the whole reason. People honestly saw IX as a step backwards after VII and VIII and found it to be pointless homaging the older games.

Sakurazuka posted:

People freaked out about FF7, especially Square's 'betrayal' of switching from Nintendo to Sony.

Ah right. I kind of missed on that since I was a Sega kid who then switched to Sony during that time and never paid that much attention to Nintendo affairs and VII was my first Final Fantasy game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bloodplay it again posted:

It also helps that Greatest Hits FF7 and FF8 could be bought for $10 at nearly every video game retailer during the years 2000-2001, which is where a huge chunk of their sales came from, whereas FF9 was a full-priced title that wasn't released in the US until after the PS2 launched. FF7 and FF8 plus strategy guides cost me as much as just the copy of FF9 when I got my PSone. I guess I just hung out in a different circle than y'all because everyone I hung out with or talked to online loved it. Sorry to derail the thread. I forgot there's a general FF thread.

I actually recall FF9 being one of the very few PS1 games (as in I can't think of a second example) that cost £39.99 in the UK. Amongst me and my friends this meant it had to be amazing and worth saving for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That's probably the first real boss I've seen, and man wow. The music and things that are involved outside of fighting the boss is absurdly cool. It's like FF14 boss design with DMC movement.

• Locked thread