Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Khanstant posted:

how do you get the pokeball wedged behind the red truck?

I'm going full ghost for my in-game run. Don't worry about a balanced team or anything, use the ones you think are cool. You can beat the game easily with anything, might as well have fun with it.

I need to do this but its so hard to get out of the mindset of a balanced team in game ha. But I would probably end up making a mostly bug/grass/water team at this point. They are all so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Blaziken386 posted:

Question: has anyone in the thread chosen to use the best pokemon this generation?

Oldschool Dugtrio's an old favorite of mine from back in Gen I, so now that they have become the band Hanson, it's double the nineties nostalgia. That said, I will likely wait for the post-game or third version to actually use them, because just so many of the new Pokemon are fantastic.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

Question: has anyone in the thread chosen to use the best pokemon this generation?

I am!

According to the Moon Pokedex, they used to be worshiped in Alola as incarnations of land goddesses. :3:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
We need an Alola Trubbish and Vanillite.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Spacebump posted:

We need an Alola Trubbish and Vanillite.

I hope regional variants for Pokemon in other gens become a thing. It seems kind of like a wasted idea, given that the Alolan forms were limited to Gen I. And there aren't even that many of them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Give me Alolan Unpheasant with a good ability and usable stat spread

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Khanstant posted:

I'm going full ghost for my in-game run. Don't worry about a balanced team or anything, use the ones you think are cool. You can beat the game easily with anything, might as well have fun with it.

I mean yeah, that's very true. It just makes some combat redundant when you have two or three Grass type physical attackers.

But I'm currently trying to fish up a Dhelmise because ANCHOR.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,I have (reluctantly at first) taken the plunge,and I've been enjoying myself so far. Just one question-having never used something with a happiness evolution,how do I get this blasted Pichu to evolve? It's been my front-line fighter for several battles and still nothing. The fact that it got taken out at least twice doesn't help. I did just get the Soothe Bell which should help a tad,though. Does anyone have suggestions?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

alarumklok posted:

I gave Rowlet an everstone because owls with bowties are my spirit animal

I dumped dartrix in the box and am now using alolan grimer instead.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Wow, incredible. The only physical grass type move Dhelmise, a grass/ghost physical attacker, can learn is Power Whip.

What is wrong with so many of the learnsets here? Tsareena is the same way, excellent attack and doesn't learn anything better than Trop Kick.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

VolticSurge posted:

So,I have (reluctantly at first) taken the plunge,and I've been enjoying myself so far. Just one question-having never used something with a happiness evolution,how do I get this blasted Pichu to evolve? It's been my front-line fighter for several battles and still nothing. The fact that it got taken out at least twice doesn't help. I did just get the Soothe Bell which should help a tad,though. Does anyone have suggestions?

Happiness evolutions are a pain. Walk around a ton. Leveling up accelerates the process. There are other methods, but those change between every single game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just lost a pokemon game. What the gently caress!?

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

VolticSurge posted:

Happiness just takes a while. I had munchlax in the lead slot, gave him the soothe bell, never let him faint, and had him murdering pokemon left and right, and it still took until lv. 20 for him to evolve. Happiness and trade evos continue to be the worst.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I dumped dartrix in the box and am now using alolan grimer instead.

Yeah, I was planning on ditching my starter and doing a gimmicky bug catcher team but seeing animated rowlet and oricorio are too much

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
drat, I didn't expect School-form Wishiwashi to be such a brick house. Smacking some Leftovers on this guy ASAP.

Does anyone know if Schooling is tied to being a certain level of do you just have to be over a certain HP threshold? My Wishiwashi couldn't use it until lv. 20.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Level 20 and 20% hp minimum.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
pikipek is good and my friend

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Deified Data posted:

drat, I didn't expect School-form Wishiwashi to be such a brick house. Smacking some Leftovers on this guy ASAP.

Does anyone know if Schooling is tied to being a certain level of do you just have to be over a certain HP threshold? My Wishiwashi couldn't use it until lv. 20.

Pretty sure it's level - when it was introduced, they mentioned Schooling would activate past a certain level. Seems to me like that's 20.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FishBulb posted:

No because using old Pokémon in a new generation is shamefully lame

It's extremely hosed up if you're not using alolan forms

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

VolticSurge posted:

Happiness evolutions are the worst because it builds up so slowly. Just using it in battle does nothing to increase its happiness. Leveling up does, but getting KO'd decreases happiness so you probably netted out to zero there. Having it eat malasadas (in the restaurant, not the takeaway ones) boosts happiness. I also started with a cafe in my festival plaza, and I just dumped all my coins into the friendship-boosting meals there, but I'm not sure if that's randomized or not.

You also get a small happiness gain for every couple hundred steps you walk with the pokemon in your party, and a medium boost for using expensive medicine on it (rare candies, protein, etc.).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Pichu and Munchlax both seem to evolve around 20-23 depending on how much you use them, walk and feed them, plus the soothe bell

I got a Snorlax named YOU ARE DUMB through Wonder Trade so I didn't bother with Munchlax, and also don't have space on my team for him anyway

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FishBulb posted:

No because using old Pokémon in a new generation is shamefully lame

Always use the ones you like regardless of if they are new or not, if they are new it's a bonus.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
This game is pretty rad. First day of playing, I check out the GTS to find a Diglett. I find a shiny one named biglett, trade my starter for it, then shortly after get the same starter back in a wonder trade. Shiny Alolan Dugtrio is amazing.

What should be my priorities in the postgame? I've just been running around catching Dratini and stuff, but I figure there's probably more important stuff I should be doing.

Mummy Brigade
Sep 12, 2004

Jeez. You're kind of a bitch.
It seems like 20-23 is the sweet spot for early game happiness evolutions. I caught a Zubat at level 11, slapped the Soothe Bell on it as soon as I could, and got Crobat at 23.

Basically, just get about 10-15 levels and walk around with the Soothe Bell held and you should be good.

Also, I just completed the Water Trial, how far am I from being able to catch an Alola Vulpix?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow, there's some creeper in the grocery store dressed up like a pokemon begging for donations.

Oh... he gives the money back and a TM. What a weird guy.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Blaziken386 posted:

I plan to, although I also want to use Mudsdale so my team is going to get pretty crowded for Ground types. Similarly, wanting to use Mimikyu, Ribombee and Araquanid - on the one hand, Rimbombee is sort of redundant, on the other, it's so cute and a neat typing.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 20, 2016

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Mummy Brigade posted:

It seems like 20-23 is the sweet spot for early game happiness evolutions. I caught a Zubat at level 11, slapped the Soothe Bell on it as soon as I could, and got Crobat at 23.

Basically, just get about 10-15 levels and walk around with the Soothe Bell held and you should be good.

Also, I just completed the Water Trial, how far am I from being able to catch an Alola Vulpix?
No idea when the water trial is, but you can catch vulpix when wild pokes are around level 30 or so.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zodack posted:

Wow, incredible. The only physical grass type move Dhelmise, a grass/ghost physical attacker, can learn is Power Whip.

What is wrong with so many of the learnsets here? Tsareena is the same way, excellent attack and doesn't learn anything better than Trop Kick.

That way you will be more inclined to buy the third version, because of the move tutors.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

pikipek is good and my friend

I'd thought I'd dump that guy as soon as I could but I can't he's saved me too many times

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Khanstant posted:

Wow, there's some creeper in the grocery store dressed up like a pokemon begging for donations.

Oh... he gives the money back and a TM. What a weird guy.

Wait seriously? I gave it a pity dollar and it wasn't happy. How much do I need to give?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blaziken386 posted:

I did and he was extremely clutch in many situations, using the z-steel move GIGA DRILL BREAKER was also an extremely hype thing.

Started the post-game and Anabel of the Hoenn battle frontier is Looker's boss in the UB case?! that's really cool!

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

If anyone needs a Oranguru I got you covered.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Okay so how do I see my actual 3DS-friends-list friends in-game and add them as VIPs or whatever for my plaza? I don't care about all these randoms.

I miss the way that X/Y/OR/AS listed friends/recent/randoms for easy reference.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Mummy Brigade posted:

After trial 5/7, so around halfway through the game. The good news is that it'll be almost a high enough level for evolving it right away, unless you want blizzard.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wait seriously? I gave it a pity dollar and it wasn't happy. How much do I need to give?

I'm so used to tipping everyone 1000 in XY that I didn't even think about it much, but yeah, give em 1000.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
After seeing a youtube of all the z moves I appreciate this new direction Pokemon is taking as a spinoff of Final Fantasy

Additionally, how are people's endeavors going re; breeding pokemon, because man a jango would really hit the spot

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So what's the deal with Battle Royal? Sit back and take it as 3 other Pokémon team up on you at 5 fps? There's another way to get BP right?

Mummy Brigade
Sep 12, 2004

Jeez. You're kind of a bitch.

Calaveron posted:

After seeing a youtube of all the z moves I appreciate this new direction Pokemon is taking as a spinoff of Final Fantasy

I get more of a DBZ vibe from the Z-Moves. You Ginyu pose for your Pokemon, and they launch lasers/themselves at the opponent. It's excellent.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Kelp Plankton posted:

Okay so how do I see my actual 3DS-friends-list friends in-game and add them as VIPs or whatever for my plaza? I don't care about all these randoms.

I miss the way that X/Y/OR/AS listed friends/recent/randoms for easy reference.
Apparently, VIP list is only for people who you've interacted with before. Your friends will just be mixed in with the randos until then. If they're not online at the same time as you, you won't be able to add them.
"Friends list? Why would you need one of those, LOL, gently caress you." - Gamefreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Me: Man, having a super effective Z move makes Trials easy, watch my Dewpinder murd-

*Totem Salazzle survives*

:catstare: