Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Neat, but yikes dude; you really want to be standing right there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

They'd make me climb up about fifteen feet high to throw the stuff stored up there down to someone else (usually stuff like toilet paper, paper towels, etc.)

That's what I did in the warehouse as well, except that in my case it was mega-expensive bottles of hard liquor which sold slowly and I did it while balancing on a motorjack, bogged down with a handheld RF scanner/computer. Sometimes I was required to pull out just a couple of bottles out of the box or maybe open up a cardboard box containing neat gift packs of expensive wine while being up there so yeah, accidents were bound to happen.

I didn't break stuff often, but when I did break stuff, it was usually something really expensive. The insurance covered most of the cost of the broken stuff.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

a kitten posted:

Neat, but yikes dude; you really want to be standing right there?

slip carcrush

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

resar posted:

slip carcrush

Vega Danger

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Axle Wheelpaste

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Free Cheese posted:

Axle Wheelpaste

Powertakeoff Armtwist.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Slim Flatbody

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GWBBQ posted:

If you're feeling particularly adventurous
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_engine

Was going to mention that but you can't not post the explanatory gif:

Yes, you too can turn your commute to work into a death metal OK Go video!

e2a: Amazingly they were still in use in mines around the world well into the 20th century because while there were lifts for carrying the coal up and the tools down, they were considerably more dangerous in a world before centrifugal brakes and automatic control - also a lot slower too because they can only transport a few dozen men every couple of minutes, while a man engine can move 20-30 men a minute, and who wants to spend a second longer down a mine than they absolutely have to?

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 20, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e2a: Amazingly they were still in use in mines around the world well into the 20th century because while there were lifts for carrying the coal up and the tools down, they were considerably more dangerous in a world before centrifugal brakes and automatic control - also a lot slower too because they can only transport a few dozen men every couple of minutes, while a man engine can move 20-30 men a minute, and who wants to spend a second longer down a mine than they absolutely have to?
The gif is kind of scarier than the reality. Its more like a cross between an escalator and ladder, with a palsy, and less like a Mario obstacle

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

I fail to see the problem with that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

resar posted:

Looks like adequate PPE.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

This is apparently at a Kanye show (he just did one in Sacramento where he showed up 90 minutes late, did two songs, went on a political rant, the dropped the mic and ended the show). How the hell is that platform even remotely legal?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It looks like it has 8 points of connection I see no issue with this. The only failure is on the platform and if that falls off the platform will improve.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

resar posted:

feeding wild animals only encourages them to seek out humans for food

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If your boat in the arctic is vulnerable to polar bears you have bigger problems anyway

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
The bear needs a hardhat jfc

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Sponge Baathist posted:

It looks like it has 8 points of connection I see no issue with this. The only failure is on the platform and if that falls off the platform will improve.

Never stand under a suspended load!!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sponge Baathist posted:

It looks like one of those corner cables snapping would drop the corner of the platform directly onto a bunch of peoples' heads.

And a catastrophic failure, yeah...

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Chlamyllionaire posted:

The bear needs a confined space entry permit jfc

Fixed.

What good is that, you'd have to be a way back to actually see him, and I wonder what the acoustics are like underneath that platform?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What is the method of egress for a performer on the stage?

Don’t say this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1oTrDyu-c&t=69s

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
dying like a badass, duh :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

resar posted:

dying like a badass, duh :colbert:

But we’re talking about Kanye here. :confused:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I can't believe Kanye is ripping off Motley Crue now

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Pyroclastic posted:

This is apparently at a Kanye show (he just did one in Sacramento where he showed up 90 minutes late, did two songs, went on a political rant, the dropped the mic and ended the show). How the hell is that platform even remotely legal?

kayne engineerd a pretty good pic here.he knew how to get concert goers looking like an angry mob that he was ascended above

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
As long as the platform is made of lightweight material like wood or plastic it probably wont even seriously injure anyone if it fell.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Wait I got it:

Delta Peabody

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am pretty sure the impact will kill plenty of people when their heads cave in like a Gomba.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

a kitten posted:

I can't believe Kanye is ripping off Motley Crue Dethklok now

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwqFkelUs_g

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I've probably been in D&D too long, I thought this was an incredibly racist reaction to the Kanye picture.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I fail to see a problem with that

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

qkkl posted:

As long as the platform is made of lightweight material like wood or plastic it probably wont even seriously injure anyone if it fell.

Don't forget it's holding Kanye West's ego, one of the heaviest things known to man.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Jokes aside, the thing is even tilted forwards

https://twitter.com/FireFitsDaily/status/800432123068882944

And there seem to be security folks underneath it sortakinda low-effort-ushering people to the sides and away from underneath it...as it moves forward, prompting the majority of the crowd to go backward to still see their idiot Jesus.

What a dumb concept in all regards.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

This was being discussed on like page 50 or something but I'd like to say that when I worked at Walgreens, we didn't have ladders to get things off the top shelf in the storage room. They just picked whoever looked physically capable of climbing up the side but light enough to not fall through the plywood shelving. They'd make me climb up about fifteen feet high to throw the stuff stored up there down to someone else (usually stuff like toilet paper, paper towels, etc.) I constantly thought about just "falling" off and suing the gently caress out of them but A) What if I get hurt worse than I want, and B) I liked my managers

e: I'm totally estimating the height. I'm 6'1 and couldn't touch it when I jumped though.
We had something similar when I worked at Radio Shack and I just climbed the shelves.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Man engines were also significantly safer than ladders for tired workers at the end of their shifts.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

zedprime posted:

The gif is kind of scarier than the reality. Its more like a cross between an escalator and ladder, with a palsy, and less like a Mario obstacle

The "funny house" at the Stockholm amusement park has moving stairs like that leading up to the entrance. They're really simple when you just follow the rhythm, but it's amusing to watch people gently caress it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn10aErrE7M

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

qkkl posted:

As one of the people who helped put that poo poo together when he was in Seattle: Nah that shits weighs a ton, its all steel truss with aluminum deck on top.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I hope Kanye's not thinking of running on that platform.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Him and all peeformers are tethered to a point in the middle of the platform, so they can't even walk all the way to its edge. I only know this because kanye was trying to ninja-micdrop on his crowd and gently caress off, but a stagehand had to come up and unclip him first, so it got a little awkward before he could say "Concert's over!" And flee the stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The platform should spin, too. i reckon ~1500 RPM should do it.