Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

since inserters can move fuel from one furnace to the next you can do without the coal belt on the steel side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Except they don't?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yeah inserters don't grab coal from furnaces.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yeah the inserter fuel trick only works for boilers as far as I know.

You can change that steel design up a bit by putting the coal line between the furnaces and using long inserters to carry iron to the steel smelters.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I usually skip being especially meticulous in my smelting set up until I get electric furnaces. After I get the tech and base resources for the electric furnaces I just strip down all my smelting and rebuild without annoying coal getting belted in.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I don't know how to deal with biters anymore. I've created a large perimeter around my main facilities, but that's obviously not viable for protecting temporary mining outposts. They're heavily defended but, without repairs, turrets are eventually destroyed one by one and the outpost is overrun, forcing me to abandon whatever I was doing and go way the hell out there to deal with it. To make matters worse, I've started putting productivity modules on every drill, so I can look forward to more and more attacks.

Maybe I should just disable biters. The 1RPM challenge is difficult enough as it is.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

seravid posted:

I don't know how to deal with biters anymore. I've created a large perimeter around my main facilities, but that's obviously not viable for protecting temporary mining outposts. They're heavily defended but, without repairs, turrets are eventually destroyed one by one and the outpost is overrun, forcing me to abandon whatever I was doing and go way the hell out there to deal with it. To make matters worse, I've started putting productivity modules on every drill, so I can look forward to more and more attacks.

Maybe I should just disable biters. The 1RPM challenge is difficult enough as it is.

I stopped my last game because I expanded too quickly and was over-run by Biters, so I know what you mean.

I think the solution to your problem may be fairly straightforward: each outpost needs to have an assembler creating repair packs and dumping them into provider chests. The entire outpost should be covered by roboports, and each roboport has a requester chest receiving repair packs and inserters placing them into the roboport. I keep about 500 construction bots stashed at my main base, and when I build a new outpost I will transport a couple hundred to the new place so they can maintain things forever.

Also, create ammo at the outpost or have a huge stockpile. Then you set up a belt behind your turret perimeter and have inserters feeding them automatically.

Make your walls 3 deep.

If you can fit solar panels/assemblers into that outpost to cover the energy consumption you can have that thing run forever.

Usually when I build a new outpost I make a few supply runs back and forth from the mainbase so that the outpost can stay self-sufficient for a LONG time.

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 20, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you use two engine trains you can set a one engine and one wagon train on a path between every outpost with repair supplies. One wagon with a few stacks of repair packs + walls and the rest filled with ammo. Because since when it arrives it will normally occupy the location of the second wagon then it won't get loaded with any ore. So you just use filter inserted to pull out supplies which get fed into abbot network which covers you defenses. You can do the same with a single rail tanker full of light oil to top off a tank for flame turrets. Remember that if you're not using laser turrets you can have turrets pull ammo from each other down the line.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

sharkbomb posted:

I stopped my last game because I expanded too quickly and was over-run by Biters. I think the solution to your problem may be fairly straightforward: each outpost needs to have an assembler creating repair packs and dumping them into provider chests. The entire outpost should be covered by roboports, and each roboport has a reqester chest receiving repair packs and inserters placing them into the roboport. I keep about 500 construction bots stashed at my main base, and when I build a new outpost I will transport a couple hundred to the new place so they can maintain things forever.

When I say "mining outposts" that's really just it: mining drills and a train station, so producing repair packs (or anything else) on-site isn't viable. Training them in, as M_Gargantua suggests, is, but setting it up and rescheduling every train would be one hell of an undertaking. If repairing is the solution (I'm not sure it is, but it's worth a try), I can simply just plop a roboport filled with packs in every outpost and be done with it. Since outposts are temporary, there's no need for a constant supply.

I'm using laser turrets exclusively and one-engine trains.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

seravid posted:

When I say "mining outposts" that's really just it: mining drills and a train station, so producing repair packs (or anything else) on-site isn't viable. Training them in, as M_Gargantua suggests, is, but setting it up and rescheduling every train would be one hell of an undertaking. If repairing is the solution (I'm not sure it is, but it's worth a try), I can simply just plop a roboport filled with packs in every outpost and be done with it. Since outposts are temporary, there's no need for a constant supply.

I'm using laser turrets exclusively and one-engine trains.

Sounds like that's your solution! Each time you set up a mining outpost you need to do a supply run with a tank loaded up with a shitload of repair packs, construction bots, and a few roboports to support the whole thing. You can also stash a bunch of laser turrets and walls in some provider chests at the outpost-- if there is an unusually strong Biter attack the construction bots will replace the destroyed defenses with your backup supply. The beefed up roboport with repair packs and bots will be able to keep the whole thing going for a long time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Laser turrets all but use repair packs as ammo because spitters tend to outrange them. Its hearsay because I never get that far in evolution but I think properly dense bullets or flamethrowers can handle behemoths with less repairs but obviously with ammo.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

zedprime posted:

Laser turrets all but use repair packs as ammo because spitters tend to outrange them. Its hearsay because I never get that far in evolution but I think properly dense bullets or flamethrowers can handle behemoths with less repairs but obviously with ammo.

Is that true? I always thought lasers had the range to deal with any kind of biter.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I forget if it was a DPS thing or range now but I remember people dicking around with it before and around flamethrower turret introduction, bullet turrets and flamethrower turrets ended up needing less repairs.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Laser turrets definitely struggle against behemoths, but flamethrowers would introduce a new logistical problem and I have enough of those already.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Lasers rip through aliens real quick because they're not physical damage and aliens really don't have resistance against them. They also have a ridiculously long range.

The issue lasers have is, damage isn't instant. It takes quite a while for the laser bolts to hit enemies, meaning you get a ton of lost damage due to all the turrets targeting the first biter that's in range... which is the exact same biter most of the time. First or second bolt kills it, everything else is damage out the window.

If there was a way to make laser turrets smarter and not shoot at biters that are already going to be killed by bolts that are in flight, they'd likely be the best option. As it is, they're kinda trash.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Perhaps they could make the laser turret damage occur faster, maybe at light speed. Then you can just have each turret tick in sequence, picking the next target on the list if the current one dies.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Zomborgon posted:

Perhaps they could make the laser turret damage occur faster, maybe at light speed. Then you can just have each turret tick in sequence, picking the next target on the list if the current one dies.

A continuous beam that causes damage every tick and acquires new targets quickly does seem like it'd be a lot more useful.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Laser beam turret mod makes it pretty close to that without changing the numerical DPS of laser turrets. I tend to combine it with one of the mods that adds another dozen damage and shooting speed upgrade levels.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I use flamethrower turrets at my oil outposts - they can use crude oil as fuel just fine.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Another way to reduce biter attacks on your outposts is to change your productivity modules to efficiency modules. Going from 3x productivity to 3x efficiency 1 (and thus hitting the -80% cap) is something like 1/8 the pollution output, and thus 1/8 the biters per wave.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

zedprime posted:

Except they don't?

i messed up when i did a quick test :blush:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Laser beam turret mod makes it pretty close to that without changing the numerical DPS of laser turrets. I tend to combine it with one of the mods that adds another dozen damage and shooting speed upgrade levels.

Name of the speed/damage mod? Seems like the perfect complement to the roboport fix.

ShadowHawk posted:

Another way to reduce biter attacks on your outposts is to change your productivity modules to efficiency modules. Going from 3x productivity to 3x efficiency 1 (and thus hitting the -80% cap) is something like 1/8 the pollution output, and thus 1/8 the biters per wave.

Losing the 20% speed and productivity boost (two P3, one S3) means an extra 400 drills.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

seravid posted:

Name of the speed/damage mod? Seems like the perfect complement to the roboport fix.

Losing the 20% speed and productivity boost (two P3, one S3) means an extra 400 drills.

There's a bunch, the one I'm using this game is called late upgrades and adds another 20 levels of bonus

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

There's a bunch, the one I'm using this game is called late upgrades and adds another 20 levels of bonus

Thanks. The turret spamming is pretty silly, I'm at 3000.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
How do I get construction robots to build stuff? They repair without prompting but, I don't know the rest. Is it something to do with blueprints?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Shift clicking things places ghosts that get filled by construction bots. For more advanced crap, you want blueprints though, yes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hold shift and left click to place outlines of stuff. Any construction bots within range will grab the items needed from storage chests and fly out to construct it.

You can use blueprints to place a bunch of stuff at once.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
jesus christ I'm dreaming in conveyor belts :psyduck:

What is it about this drat game that makes it so compelling?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I think it rides sweet spot on the efficient design vs. just make it work spectrum. It's not so simple that you make one template and hammer it out over and over, and not so complex that each situation needs a new solution designed from scratch. So you are constantly innovating but it doesn't feel like your earlier work was a waste.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Not to mention that innovation isn't expensive so pivoting into a new idea of building your factory out is more a question of time investment and space versus material cost. You can try poo poo out without feeling like you've set yourself back hitting a deadend.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sage Grimm posted:

Not to mention that innovation isn't expensive so pivoting into a new idea of building your factory out is more a question of time investment and space versus material cost. You can try poo poo out without feeling like you've set yourself back hitting a deadend.

If you try something and it sucks, as long as it does produce an output, it's not a big deal. It's just an extra production line.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The only thing that really kinda sucks to trash and rebuild is a rocket launchpad, because the built rocket is stored inside. Got make sure to destroy them after a launch before it has a chance to consume more rocket parts.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
There's a lot of oddly satisfying experiences playing this game. I think my favorite 'task' is linking up faraway oil fields to my main base. Watching the barrels of oil get delivered by train, unloaded, and dumped into my oil processing system is very soothing! I like to set up all of my outposts so I'll never have to visit them again, so I have ghost bases all over the map.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think the compelling part is that it has a very high ceiling for sperginess but also a very low floor. So you can very delicately fine tune your factory for optimal ratios and space, or you can just say gently caress it and slam full every belt and not think about it again.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKnnk31yKuw

This feels like it's some sort of grave sin against the Factorio gods but at the same time it's amazing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RyokoTK posted:

I think the compelling part is that it has a very high ceiling for sperginess but also a very low floor. So you can very delicately fine tune your factory for optimal ratios and space, or you can just say gently caress it and slam full every belt and not think about it again.

Really I think that's one of the things that makes Factorio so neat. You can sperg out, crunch numbers, and go for crazy achievements or you can just kind of play spaghetti base and dick around and build cool things. The game just doesn't care.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

vOv posted:

This feels like it's some sort of grave sin against the Factorio gods but at the same time it's amazing.
I've got the strangest boner. Its how everyone expects their belts to work at first but programmed to actually work in that way.

e. As far as the Factorio x factor, there's a lot you can say about its structure as a survival game. Where most survival games you are going after incremental upgrades or stuff just unlocks a different flavor of processing you were already doing, Factorio's tech tree has several places where you start playing a different game upon unlock. Its kind of spoiled even the "good" survival games for me.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 22, 2016

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

zedprime posted:

e. As far as the Factorio x factor, there's a lot you can say about its structure as a survival game. Where most survival games you are going after incremental upgrades or stuff just unlocks a different flavor of processing you were already doing, Factorio's tech tree has several places where you start playing a different game upon unlock. Its kind of spoiled even the "good" survival games for me.

I'd borrow the concept of a "paradigm shift" from idle games. The difference is that Factorio does away with the Skinner box mechanics; if you're waiting for the next paradigm then you haven't properly adapted your factory to the current one.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

vOv posted:

drat, that's just hypnotic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I should have been using the FARL mod this whole time. I've gone full on train crazy now.