Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I understand wanting to control 6* abilities but goddamn they're just not worth how long it takes to forge one let alone hone it.

Ultimately depends on the fight and the ability; Curada would be insanely powerful at R3 or R4, as it is, at a a modest 6 uses (probably) max it's still very good - it doesn't outright replace a R5 Curaja, but it's a good substitute if you can control damage and afford for your healer to do something else like Diaga or Wrath. On the other hand a lot of the early 6* abilities are very underwhelming - Neo Bahamut in particularly is pretty unsatisfying unless you have Alphinaud's self-Ether, and even then you're better off using Valigamarda or Tiamat instead.

I think if they'd made all the 6*s start at 4 uses (and the Summons start at 2) they'd be a lot easier to balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Beasteh posted:

the interminable waiting for the onion lad banner

:same:

When does it drop again? Tuesday?

This 100 mythril is burning a hole in my e-pocket :(

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Inge posted:

:same:

When does it drop again? Tuesday?

This 100 mythril is burning a hole in my e-pocket :(

Same as most events, Thursday.

I'm curious how many people are going to go for Onion 2 or Squall 1. They're both still decent banners but coming so soon after the rush is pretty tough.

I know I'm going for one of the Squall banners, just still undecided on which one.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

ApplesandOranges posted:

http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/calendar-of-events has it on Wednesday night, moved up probably because Thursday is Thanksgiving in the US

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm curious how many people are going to go for Onion 2 or Squall 1. They're both still decent banners but coming so soon after the rush is pretty tough.

I know I'm going for one of the Squall banners, just still undecided on which one.

I'm debating doing one on each onion banner rather than just on banner 1, and definitely rolling on Squall 1 for Zells bsb

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I haven't actually decided between onion 1 or 2 yet. Problem being I have two relics on banner 1 and one relic on banner 2, so I risk dupes either way. I want to pull on FF8 as well, but we'll see.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I've been waiting for OK banner 1 for so long...but it makes more sense to wait until the BSB banner drops before I pull on that. Gahhhh

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kawalimus posted:

I've been waiting for OK banner 1 for so long...but it makes more sense to wait until the BSB banner drops before I pull on that. Gahhhh

2 more days won't harm. Make a 100 gem pull to tide you over :shobon:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

RagnarokAngel posted:

2 more days won't harm. Make a 100 gem pull to tide you over :shobon:

I know I'm just exaggerating :D

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ApplesandOranges posted:

If I get Onion Bracers quickly I might drop 50 on Squall OSB 1, I could use gear for Mote Ifrit. Especially since we'll have 50 more mythril than anticipated thanks to the Thanksgiving login rewards. But it would be taking away from my ability to pull on TG Cid eventually so I'll have to think about it.

The banners I have circled are OK 1 -> Minfilia/Alphinaud 1 -> Zidane OSB 2 -> TG Cid 1 -> Locke OSB. I'm also definitely going to pull on one of either Lightning OSB 1 or Fang OSB, depending on if I can get through the Ultimates for the former event with the synergy I have (or get from lucky draws/festival pulls between now and then). And then I am tentatively looking at Squall OSB 1, Cid Polledina 1, and Emperor 1 if I have mythril left over.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Skipping the OK banners because I don't give a gently caress about the character and collecting cool poo poo for characters I care about is like 95% of why I play this game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'll have 50 mythril by the time OK rolls around and figure I'll go for it. I need FF3 equipment (have exactly 0) and the other relics are Luneth, who is the first person I leveled to 99 for his RM4 so it would be great to actually get some use out of him

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

After a literal hour trying and failing to play hot potato, I decided "gently caress it, I have both walls and a healer BSB" and cheesed him. It was fun and cathartic. Take that, rear end in a top hat!

Beatrix | Shellga, Saint's Cross (abilities don't matter for her) | No SB | One-eyed General
Selphie | Diaga, Curaga | Strange Vision | Dr. Mog's Teachings
Tyro | Water Veil, Phantasm | SG, Keeper's Tome | Ace Striker
Y'shtola | Curaja, Diaga | Stoneskin II | Mako Might
Yuna | Alexander, Haste | Miracle Veil | Battleforged

Beatrix just spammed RW Sephiroth BSB's def-ignoring command for the entire fight while Tyro put in extreme amounts of work doing damage with ninja magic buffed by Selphie's BSB entry. Dispelling regen was baked into Selphie's BSB attack action. We were at no point in danger of dying thanks to Yuna and her Amazing Technicolor HP Stock, and she spent the rest of her turns manually hasting everyone who didn't BSB.

It was fun, I'd recommend it if you have the tools. Minwu BSB would have worked just as well as Selphie's.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
PSA: For all you whiny fucks who complained about the Lucavi death animation for FFT realms, they fixed it for future encounters.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQ5tGpoWMo&t=510s

Varance fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 20, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

UHD posted:

Skipping the OK banners because I don't give a gently caress about the character and collecting cool poo poo for characters I care about is like 95% of why I play this game.

That's part of what makes the banners such a giant trap for me, personally - OK is the only FF3 character I do care about, because I loved the NES game in all its broken bullshit glory but didn't warm up as much to the DS version.

Besides, unlucky pulls have got me to appreciate characters I wouldn't've, normally. I hate FF8 but I am a lot more okay with Zell now that he's basically a killdozer.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
I still find it odd that Luneth and Refia have been freakin' everywhere lately.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I've earmarked 2x11 pulls for OK, though with a possible third rage pull íf I get really bad results. I could really use the FF3 Synergy, OK BSB, or anything for Luneth, so the banner is very lucrative for me.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Varance posted:

I still find it odd that Luneth and Refia have been freakin' everywhere lately.

Squares been pushing pretty hard to make you love them. The Cloud of Darkness has been getting this treatment too since she was given an actual character for dissidia. It'd be like necron suddenly getting tons of exposure.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

RagnarokAngel posted:

Squares been pushing pretty hard to make you love them. My Butt of Darkness has been getting this treatment too since she was given an actual character for dissidia. It'd be like necron suddenly getting tons of exposure.
To be fair, the boss fight with CoD is one of my favorite fights in FFXIV. Especially that music...:swoon: It's a very hectic, rude fight with an absurd party size of 24 that involves a lot of frantic looking around and dodging beams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVd6AvzGJP0

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have a softspot for Onion Knight not because of the character or because of FF3 but because I really like the mechanic a lot of the time where you have an extremely weak character that becomes extremely strong. Like the villagers in Fire Emblem games, or Magikarp being totally useless until you turn it into Gyarados.

OK in this one has the lowest stats in the game until around level 99 when he gets the highest stats in the game, and also has no 5* ability uses unless you record sphere him to where he can get 5* in almost anything. He also has extremely strong BSB so it's like, he's useless or overpowered.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

To be fair, the boss fight with CoD is one of my favorite fights in FFXIV. Especially that music...:swoon: It's a very hectic, rude fight with an absurd party size of 24 that involves a lot of frantic looking around and dodging beams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVd6AvzGJP0

Oh it's not necessarily bad, I loved the crystal tower dungeons as a love letter to FF3. 3 NES is a good game in all its hosed up-ness, it wasn't afraid to try a lot of new ideas even if they didn't all necessarily work, but it still hit the mark more often than 2.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

OK in this one has the lowest stats in the game until around level 99 when he gets the highest stats in the game, and also has no 5* ability uses unless you record sphere him to where he can get 5* in almost anything. He also has extremely strong BSB so it's like, he's useless or overpowered.

Not so much "almost anything", but "the most important skillsets". Combat/Celerity/Support/WHM/BLM/NIN 5 is a very diverse, fleshed out skill-set, but it's lacking a lot of the esoteric fringe options that Tyro or a more specialized character could provide - in particular, he has pretty bad AoE capability (Ninja spells and whatever AoEs you can milk out of BLK), and pretty much no physical elemental coverage whatsoever.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
To be fair, OK really only needs two skillsets - Combat and Support, for Lifesiphon and Breakdowns. Everything else is a bonus - you can make him a mage/Ninja if you really want to, but there are better options for healers.

Personally I'll do Combat/Support and maybe Ninja if I get one of his relics. He shouldn't really need more than that. Even if you want to use him on a Mage team, he'll do fine with a Ninja skillset, freeing up the spells for other mages.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Could you imagine eating forty eight eggs in one sitting?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Smash Mog eat the eggs

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Inge posted:

Could you imagine eating forty eight eggs in one sitting?

Oh, that's nothing. I use my eggs pretty frequently, and sometimes somebody just has to eat like 300 lesser eggs.

Open up!

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
So how does the realm challenge thing equate to actual level and stuff? I have some decent five star relics, should I dip my toes in the 60 challenge stuff at some point or do I need to break the 50 cap on my team first?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
My Josef say he can eat 50 eggs, he can eat 50 eggs.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Gaston eats five dozen eggs every morning. :colbert:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Captainsalami posted:

So how does the realm challenge thing equate to actual level and stuff? I have some decent five star relics, should I dip my toes in the 60 challenge stuff at some point or do I need to break the 50 cap on my team first?

I usually think of it as level times 2=challenge they can handle, though past 99 that breaks down pretty fast and hard and becomes more of a question of skills and Soul Breaks.

Also sometimes the difficulty readouts are just lying bastards. Still, you should be trying to push the first(non-boss rush) 99 in events, IMO, if you're near L50.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Varance posted:

PSA: For all you whiny fucks who complained about the Lucavi death animation for FFT realms, they fixed it for future encounters.

Not good enough, needs the death cry sound as well. :colbert:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Captainsalami posted:

It's a completely arbitary number, that really doesn't tie to party level at all. Just push higher and higher until you hit a wall.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Varance posted:

I think this was in the last... FFT thing. My favorite bit is how the zodiac stone falling to the ground isn't part of the death animation, but then he drops an orb and it kind of imitates that part anyway. :3:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ApplesandOranges posted:

To be fair, OK really only needs two skillsets - Combat and Support, for Lifesiphon and Breakdowns. Everything else is a bonus - you can make him a mage/Ninja if you really want to, but there are better options for healers.

Personally I'll do Combat/Support and maybe Ninja if I get one of his relics. He shouldn't really need more than that. Even if you want to use him on a Mage team, he'll do fine with a Ninja skillset, freeing up the spells for other mages.

It depends on which relics you get for him. If you get his bracer, Combat is meaningless (just spamming his BSB commands will get you all the charge you need and you'll be using a Dr. Mog's Teachings/Mako Might on him anyway) and Support isn't what you want to spend your time on with him. Generally I take Curada or Ultra Cure and Protectga or Shellga on him, so WHT is actually the most-used 5 star skillset for me.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Heaven Spacey posted:

I think this was in the last... FFT thing. My favorite bit is how the zodiac stone falling to the ground isn't part of the death animation, but then he drops an orb and it kind of imitates that part anyway. :3:
People complained that Cuchulainn's death animation didn't have enough sparks or screen rumbling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSWn6FeMehQ&t=260s

Varance fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 20, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Personally I think the point of the Onion is like Tyro but less so; He fits in and does whatever the heck you need.

He doesn't do/equip literally everything and he takes more work, but in exchange, his stats aren't "worse than some mages/fighters at physical/magic damage".

(And I don't mean like, Vincent. I mean Maria or Ramza.)

As such, if I do get a SB to run him with, I expect to dive everything but his Sage sphere(I don't need a pile of Mag/Mind that much, his is fine).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've got Apocalypse Shield (+Atk/Def) and Maria's Song (+Atk/Mag). Would I be correct in believing that they would both stack with each other as well as Shout? And that Apocalypse Shield would stack with Protectga and Sentinel's Grimoire?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yes they all stack.

Protectga stacks with everything because it's a Status Effect rather then a Stat Buff.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

All correct.

Do note, though, Attack above 590, I believe it is? (and Magic above ... somewhere around 1000, and I think there's a point with defenses but it never really comes up....) has severely diminished returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nice.

Now if only I had more than one free SB gauge materia. Cloud is being really stubborn with his, and I still need a spare MC2 for Ramza.

• Locked thread