Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
What is a good base DPS for weapons at 229?

I have a M60 with a base dps(no mods) of 125k and a marksman rifle of 225k. I have not found one smg that has a base DPS anywhere near those. Is the intentional or am I just having a bad run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

cubicle gangster posted:

I just got this and I'm not sure if I'm playing it right. I'm level 4 trying to do the rescue dr kandel mission and I'm finding the part where you make your way across the court near impossible. If I stay back and try and pick away behind cover I can't hit anyone, and when I do it does fuckall damage - if I try and get close I get flanked immediately and die in a couple of hits.

Any tips? Do I need to go and grind side missions to stay leveled above the main missions? This was a 4 and I am 4, but the enemies seem like they are a much higher level than me.

I love the atmosphere and I know it can be a pretty hardcore game, but I thought I'd at least be able to play it solo without needing to be constantly popping off pixel perfect headshots using a controller.

Edit: Just figured out how to see the list of all available missions, think I'm getting my head around this. It's an odd game. Weird how once you replace swords with guns in an rpg it's harder to get your head around levels affecting damage.
After you do Madison Field Hospital you unlock healing skills which let you have a separate source of healing besides your limited quantity medkits, so that helps tremendously when playing solo.

If you're stuck making advances or having trouble with the cover layout, try giving the riot shield a spin. It's essentially a second, much bigger health bar, and it being portable cover gives you a big boost in advancing across open arenas like the court in Madison. If you use the shield and go into cover, it remembers you have the shield when you leave that cover, and while you are in cover you can use your normal weapons.

If at any point you don't feel like you are doing enough damage, check to make sure your weapons are at your level. Even a one or two level difference makes a large impact, since the damage scales exponentially, not linearly. If you need a weapon upgrade, craft one or buy one from a vendor - an at-level green will do more damage than a blue three to four levels lower. Conversely, if you do have a blue gun, those can last you longer than expected.

Raged posted:

What is a good base DPS for weapons at 229?

I have a M60 with a base dps(no mods) of 125k and a marksman rifle of 225k. I have not found one smg that has a base DPS anywhere near those. Is the intentional or am I just having a bad run?
DPS is highly skewed by magazine size and ROF, which affects the consideration. Those Marksman Rifles are based on the full RPM, but unless you use a mouse macro you won't fire anywhere near fire rate cap and actually hit with all of your bullets. M60 is highly skewed by having 100 rounds in the tank. SMGs with bases of 20 or 25 bullets just don't compare.

Short version is any full auto combination at 200k DPS is more than plenty to be comfortable in Tier 4 content.

Reload speed mods, since they've been buffed, also significantly impact DPS while not necessarily improving per-bullet performance.

Per-bullet performance is a better indicator of how the guns compare. I'm not super optimized, and on balanced loadouts (2/2/1 firearms/stamina/electronics splits) I tend to get 35k headshots/50k HS crits with SMGs, 45k HS/65-70k HS crits with assault rifles, 60-70K headshots / 100k crits on slower LMGs, 300k HS/ 500k HS crits with bolt-action DMRs, and about half that with semi-autos. Pistols with Decisive gloves clock in at 50k headshots for big magazine pistols, 100k headshots base with 1911s and higher.

40 Proof Listerine fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 20, 2016

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Did they do something to the fire status effect since 1.3? Or is it just the higher world tiers? Because incendiary seeker mines used to mess dudes up, but now they shrug them off after like 1 second.

Status effects in general seem to do gently caress all to the AI anymore. Oh hmm I'm on fire? Haha I'm going to run and climb and heal and poo poo out three turrets in a row, get hosed

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I spent 6 hours playing tonight. Oh god this is good.
Completley different experience to last night, got all the various moving parts figured out. It's a much more complex game than it lets on at the start. Not having any more difficulty issues - and if I do I know where I stand.
Thanks to the guys who gave me advice and tips!

Setting little traps and planning attacks is such good fun. Even solo, coming back to an encounter I had trouble with and dropping everyone involved in a matter of seconds with no difference to my level feels good.
Definitely needed some toys from leveling/perks for it to get fun, I still think the opening sells itself short.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 20, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

cubicle gangster posted:

Setting little traps and planning attacks is such good fun.

I'm still impressed my favorite XCOM 2 tactic of "move into cover around enemy, synchronize thrown grenades to start combat" translates so well into this game.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Capn Beeb posted:

Status effects in general seem to do gently caress all to the AI anymore. Oh hmm I'm on fire? Haha I'm going to run and climb and heal and poo poo out three turrets in a row, get hosed

I think I've used an item like four times in the sixty some hours I've played. They take so long for so little effect that they just aren't ever worth using.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

randombattle posted:

I think I've used an item like four times in the sixty some hours I've played. They take so long for so little effect that they just aren't ever worth using.

Yeah it's a real pisser considering how fun Firecrest could be if the AI actually gave a poo poo about being on fire :argh:

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Firecrest is already pretty fun, and a great game changer in pvp as well.

Hippyflip
Mar 21, 2014
Is this game worth checking back out if i do not have the seasons pass? or will it be basicly the same?\

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If before 1.4 then the game has completely changed since then, but 1.5 is due to drop soon so it's worth waiting.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Hippyflip posted:

Is this game worth checking back out if i do not have the seasons pass? or will it be basicly the same?\
The season pass content so far isn't mandatory, just something else to do. Same again with Survival when it drops on Tuesday. Underground is nice if you like teaming up with people and exploring randomly generated tunnels, and some of the set pieces are pretty rare ( bank vault and mall I'm talking about you ) , but isn't necessarily the fastest way to gear up ( I'd argue that DZ is still easily the fastest ). The endgame has been the best it's ever been, and maybe 1.5 is a further improvement - too early to say at this point.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 20, 2016

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm on Xbox GT: Wraith108, I decided to delete my character and start again when I came back so I'm currently still levelling up, currently L14/04. I might try to brave the DZ again to get some better gear as some of my stuff is a few levels old like my AK is L11

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUcFqtL9S94

SkillUp made a video Re: Division possibly getting Year 2 content, and makes a good case based on the survey that Massive sent to a select bunch.

It's like 17 minutes so tl:dr:
- Rainbow Six Siege was a flop at launch but after supporting the game and releasing new content the game has grown and has a loyal following, so Ubisoft knows that approach works.
- The survey asked specifically Destiny players about why they like playing it. Destiny doesn't likely have any major content coming out in the near future so they may want to try and fill that void
- There were questions about what kind of new content we want to see. Last Stand is mostly done at this point, so the questions likely aren't about that.
- Questions about "What is the purpose of the Dark Zone," what you don't like about it etc.
- Interesting questions about if you had any moral problems fighting any of the enemies, if the reasons you're fighting enemies in a game are important to you etc. It asked which organizations are most/least trustworthy, and included stuff like the military, United Nations, the educational system (are we gonna fight rogue math teachers?).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Are the HVT's designed around fully geared up people or just groups? I was able to do the first 3 dailies, but the 4th one I failed on. I tried the first weekly, and just got crazy hordes of elites. I ran out of ammo in my M60, and was down to about 300 rounds in the assault rifle when I ran out of time to secure the objective, and there were at least 6 elites still up at that point (and who knows if more waves were coming).

I'm at GS 207 in WT4, so obviously not fully geared up at all (my M60 is GS182 for example) nor optimized. I'm also noticing that my weapon talents in general have far higher requirements than I meet, so usually running with only the 'free' talent unless my weapon is lower GS than the tier I'm at.

Think I'll go back to world boss hunting today, I was able to do that quite successfully last night for a good amount of gear improvements.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I've said this before but at least the first four daily HVTs are jobbers that you can take on solo. The latter half, especially the last two, you need to be a lot more tactical with (unless you have a super good tank set, I guess?)

Weeklies, I'm sure, are meant for non-solo groups, but I'm pretty sure all dailies can be done solo.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

i solo'd this weeks toughest weekly hvts

if you play smart it can definitely be done

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GET MY BELT SON posted:

i solo'd this weeks toughest weekly hvts

if you play smart it can definitely be done

Are you fully geared up with a good build? I just hit WT4 and am still gearing up so have a mish-mash of stuff and not at GS229 yet.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The Locator posted:

Are you fully geared up with a good build? I just hit WT4 and am still gearing up so have a mish-mash of stuff and not at GS229 yet.
You definitely need to be 229 with a decent build to solo the hardest dailies. When you first enter any tier you're going to be a little squishy.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
I can solo all the daily and weekly HVTs but I'm also min maxed to hell and back with an AlphaBridge Hungry Hog Nomad build that took a good while to piece together. Though sometimes I run into trouble depending on the enemy types that might spawn all at once.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

That is pretty cool of them and gives me a lotta faith in this game. Soliciting feedback and implementing it? Why I never

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I think they've at least earned the benefit of the doubt with their massive turnaround from "unplayable turd" to 1.4's "actually pretty fun".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are there audio logs and stuff in Survival? I just got the final ones in Underground and I swear to god

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

I can solo all the daily and weekly HVTs but I'm also min maxed to hell and back with an AlphaBridge Hungry Hog Nomad build that took a good while to piece together. Though sometimes I run into trouble depending on the enemy types that might spawn all at once.

How do you use nomad with hour build?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Sixto Lezcano posted:

That is pretty cool of them and gives me a lotta faith in this game. Soliciting feedback and implementing it? Why I never
What I really like is that a company is supporting games over time and building goodwill with the community, even if a game doesn't make a billion dollars on launch day. The R6 Siege turnaround is a good precedent.

poptart_fairy posted:

Are there audio logs and stuff in Survival? I just got the final ones in Underground and I swear to god
Not when I played and I didn't see any in streams

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kessel posted:

I think they've at least earned the benefit of the doubt with their massive turnaround from "unplayable turd" to 1.4's "actually pretty fun".

This will sound like I'm a shill, but I'm not.

I've bought several AAA games this fall. BF1, COD, Titanfall. They're fun for different reasons. I play them a bit, especially BF1 as I have a group for that. But I keep coming back to the Division. That's the game I'm up until 2 am playing. It's great. It satisfies most of my video game itches. I'm stoked if they do another year of content. I know a sequel is in the works. This game was a SMASH hit in terms of sales. They're absolutely doing another one. But I'd be happy to see them support this game up until part 2 comes out.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

I hope so, I really liked all the little audio logs fleshing out the world.

The ones in Underground were particularly good, what with the members of the various factions gradually losing their minds and dying cold and alone in the endless tunnels beneath Manhattan.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I got my alphabridge set.

Holy poo poo an m249 with destructive, ferocious, deadly, predatory, swift and vicious.

It is glorious.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I sold my alphabridge, every other set I've collected and the rest of my stash in anticipation of 1.5, It's so liberating. Now I've got my Nomad and Banshee and my favorite weapons, and that's all.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Snuffman posted:

I hope so, I really liked all the little audio logs fleshing out the world.

The ones in Underground were particularly good, what with the members of the various factions gradually losing their minds and dying cold and alone in the endless tunnels beneath Manhattan.

Yeah. The LMB guy who throws a tantrum because his superiors aren't psycopaths was great. :laffo:

No sewer gator pay off ingame though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

GET MY BELT SON posted:

How do you use nomad with hour build?

Four piece Alpha, two piece Nomad. I think it's like this:

Chest, Mask, Backpack, Holster: AlphaBridge
Knees and Gloves: Nomad

Mostly focusing on firearms and stamina, but 80k electronics left over helps my pulse and gas mine recharge somewhat reasonably quickly. All performance mods boost pulse crit chance. Gun talents are Brutal, Destructive, Meticulous, Stable, Predatory, and Commanding.

Tactical Link is hilarious with this. :haw:

Edit:

Here's that secret survey that's floating around:

https://ubisoft.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9RojA7GtEFltgep

Beeb fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 21, 2016

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Capn Beeb posted:

Thanks. Took the opportunity to type a CAPS LOCK TIRADE against Rick Valassi. Please stop making me listen to him, Massive.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

Nechronic posted:

Thanks. Took the opportunity to type a CAPS LOCK TIRADE against Rick Valassi. Please stop making me listen to him, Massive.

That's the only complaint I have right now.
I'm pretty surprised how much I'm playing this, it's pretty loving fun. Excited to start WT5.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So what's going to be the new hot items of the patch with whatever nerfs and buffs that are going to happen ? I haven't really been paying attention much, I know about the new UMP, pistols, that LMG and the gear set that lets you use a SMG with shield.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Nechronic posted:

I should've done that. Also mentioned the FALs are loving useless as three round burst rifles.

But instead I just really leaned hard on the "The DZ is beautiful please offer a PvE version so I can enjoy it with my chilled out pals we're sluts for desolate cityscapes :shobon:" angle.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
does your toughness change based on world tier? i had around 370k in wt3 and then noticed in 4 i had around 280k.

also running a bullshit nomads setup that's fun. 4 piece nomad, specialized backpack, savage gloves, l86 with health on kill. seeker mine and whatever else strikes my interest.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Nechronic posted:

I don't think there was even a virus, Rick Valassi just drove everyone mad with his neverending bullshit

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

SMG with shield would be incredible.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

does your toughness change based on world tier? i had around 370k in wt3 and then noticed in 4 i had around 280k.

also running a bullshit nomads setup that's fun. 4 piece nomad, specialized backpack, savage gloves, l86 with health on kill. seeker mine and whatever else strikes my interest.

Yeah. Armor required to reach max mitigation drops significantly between world tiers.

Also, re 1.5-honestly, I'm looking forward to finally having a non-stupid sniper rifle in the R700. :shobon:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Capn Beeb posted:

Edit:

Thank gently caress finally a chance to tell them how loving annoying literally every npc is in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Elendil004 posted:

SMG with shield would be incredible.

Just look at the named GOLD gear that is coming with 1.5. You can build a monster shield set with that.

Have they given a clear time that Survival is going to go live?

• Locked thread