Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Aerial fights also non existent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Tae posted:

Aerial fights also non existent.

But we did get that sweet orbital re-entry with Mika riding down the defeated hull of one of his enemies as a heat shield.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I enjoy how more... evasive villains are dealt with in this anime.

"You foiled my plans today Tekkadan, but I'll get you next ti-"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sam Faust posted:

I enjoy how more... evasive villains are dealt with in this anime.

"You foiled my plans today Tekkadan, but I'll get you next ti-"

In any other show, the protagonists would shrug and be upset about the guy turning up later to ruin their day again. In IBO, they just hunt them down now. :unsmigghh:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I immensely enjoy the lack of beam weaponry on this show. Even if nearly every villain ends up Mikazuki'd or gnashed into a horrible pulp by a giant robot.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thats was a really good non combat episode. Like so many things are coming together, it didn't feel rushed and so much ground is covered for what could happen in the future.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
:yeah:

I'm glad McGillis continues to not be a villain, also.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ep 33 spoiler:

Awww I think Lafter has fallen in love with Akihiro :3:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

Ep 33 spoiler:

Awww I think Lafter has fallen in love with Akihiro :3:

How is that even a spoiler? It was obvious that said characters would become a couple sooner or later.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

How is that even a spoiler? It was obvious that said characters would become a couple sooner or later.

Because it's confirmed in the episode which literally just aired and which people streaming the show won't get until a week later.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

:yeah:

I'm glad McGillis continues to not be a villain, also.

That scene with Orga didn't ring giant honking alarm bells for you? Seriously?

We do actually seem to have moved back towards McGillis being our final boss, with the Arianrhod faction's actions being motivated by justifiable fear of him rather than lust for power. We've also gained more in a chain of evidence about what his true motive is. To run down what we know for certain so far:

* McGillis wants Bael, a Gjallarhorn secret.
* Bael is a Gundam. This Gundam, specifically.
* Bael (or Baal) is the first and mightiest demon of the Ars Goetia, which all PD Gundams derive their names from.
* McGillis is very heavily inspired by Char Aznable.
* Char Aznable was secretly Casval Rem Deikun, the son of the philosopher who began the spacenoid independence movement, Zeon Zum Deikun.
* When Zeon died, his supporters, the Zabi family, perverted his memory and ideals into the driving force for a fascist state, the Principality of Zeon. They may or may not have killed him in order to make that happen.
* McGillis is suspected not to be Iznario Fareed's biological son, just an illiterate pauper he picked out of the gutter for unknown reasons.
* The founder of Gjallarhorn was Agnika Kaeru.
* The Seven Stars, the families who rule Gjallarhorn, are descended from the Gundam pilots who founded it. The family names are Fareed, Issue, Elion, Kujan, Bauduin, Baklazan, and Falk. The Kaeru family is not on the list.

That's what we know, and while it isn't confirmed that it all ties together, it creates a compelling pattern. My bet is that Bael was Kaeru's Gundam. For reasons that are this far unclear, he and his family do not have any power in Gjallarhorn, and his comrades and their descendants rule in their stead as a college. Bael is an empty throne, the symbol of a king for an organisation that doesn't want one. Iznario, I suspect, wanted to gain the power of the Kaeru name for his own, and so he tracked down the last, fallen descendants of his family. McGillis was supposed to be a pet Kaeru, a political pawn with no real power who nevertheless gave his adoptive father a great deal of prestige amongst the Earth nobility. However, he decided he wasn't cool with that, and is now striving to attain that empty throne, bringing together Gjallarhorn under a single family name once more as the unrivalled ruler of the solar system. Rustal knows this, and is loving terrified of McGillis - and I bet, given his fondness for meritocracy (as opposed to the corrupt aristocracy that Gjallarhorn has decayed into), that it's for the good, sensible reason of not wanting a supreme dictator with no checks on his power when the collegiate system is safer and more stable.

I think we can now assume that by taking down the last check on McGillis's power, Tekkadan is going to let in an even greater monster than any they've faced before. He's promised to make them the kings of Mars, but what, exactly, might he ask them to do with that power?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thats was a really good non combat episode. Like so many things are coming together, it didn't feel rushed and so much ground is covered for what could happen in the future.

yeah, the first few episodes of s2 were way too crammed together, this episode has been a full emotional culmination of this season's initial arc. takaki has learnt a lesson that orga is unwilling to face: when to count your earnings, and not constantly bet all in

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont think McGillis is acting out of a lust for power. McGillis is turning out to be a romantic more than anything, he seems to be compelled to bring back Gjallarhorn back to its founding principle and Bael probably being the suit used by the person he idolizes points to that.

Ultimately for all his scheming, McGillis is still thinking like a child. Which is ironic given what Rustal said. Rustal and his mates has so far been painted by the show a whole lot worse than McGillis has had this season so far. Certainly they are the "bad guys" of this arc according to the show. Not necessarily for the rest of the show mind you, but right now its clear that this is what the show wants us to see.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
When Orga mentions this whole "Kings of Mars" thing to Naze he's gonna find out that the Jovian Mafia isn't all hi-fives and space-wives.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
McGillis is going to bring Gjallarhorn back to its glory years, you'll see. It's gonna be great, everybody is looking forward to it, he's going to make it great again and he's going to do it quickly and bigly.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mars isn't sending us their best. They are sending us their murderers and their psychopaths. And some, I assume, are good people.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I loved the scene where McGillis said King of Mars and Orga couldn't form sentences

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont think McGillis is acting out of a lust for power. McGillis is turning out to be a romantic more than anything, he seems to be compelled to bring back Gjallarhorn back to its founding principle and Bael probably being the suit used by the person he idolizes points to that.

Ultimately for all his scheming, McGillis is still thinking like a child. Which is ironic given what Rustal said. Rustal and his mates has so far been painted by the show a whole lot worse than McGillis has had this season so far. Certainly they are the "bad guys" of this arc according to the show. Not necessarily for the rest of the show mind you, but right now its clear that this is what the show wants us to see.

You don't think that totalitarians can be romantic? The story of a rightful king coming to save the world from its decay becomes much more appealing when you think you're that king. Also, if you don't know how to spot a classic Mephistophelean temptation scene when you see one, I don't really know what to tell you. That bit where he literally offered Orga the world was ominous as all hell.

I don't think that the Arianrhod faction has all the answers here. They're high up in the aristocracy of Gjallarhorn, which makes them part of the problem - they're too insulated from the human cost of their machinations. True reform can only come from people with connections at and understanding of all levels of society (hi, Kudelia). That doesn't mean their goals are wrong, though - just their methods. It's also worth noting that so far, they've all come across as warmer and more human than McGillis - despite their deeds this season being less pleasant, they've come across as way more personable. I mean, just look at how the gang are treating Julietta versus how McGillis treated Ein. Rustal puts his reputation on the line for his subordinates and mourns their deaths even when he's not supposed to, Iok has a comedy routine going with Julietta, and Gaelio is basically the world-weary but kind team dad. Even when they're doing bad things, we're encouraged to think they have a good reason for them. By contrast, we've already seen how McGillis uses and discards people through a string of spectacular betrayals after a whole season of playing the nice guy, so we're trained to distrust him even when he appears to be a force for good.

Oh, and jesus christ he wants a bunch of murderous, easily-manipulated child soldiers to run a planet for him.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 20, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A good portion of the people who've tried to manipulate Tekkaddan are dead, so I wouldn't exactly call it easy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

paragon1 posted:

A good portion of the people who've tried to manipulate Tekkaddan are dead, so I wouldn't exactly call it easy.

Well, the actual up-front manipulation isn't that hard, and you're always going to find some schlub who thinks they can survive what happens next. Hell, McGillis kind of got away with it once in the last arc of S1.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
McGillis even sent most of the enemies they fought after them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, the actual up-front manipulation isn't that hard, and you're always going to find some schlub who thinks they can survive what happens next. Hell, McGillis kind of got away with it once in the last arc of S1.

You mean the whole thing with Carta? That was more him using them as an easy way to dispose of Carta then anything else.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

You mean the whole thing with Carta? That was more him using them as an easy way to dispose of Carta then anything else.

Also the setup with Ein. He fed them to the single nastiest weapon in Gjallarhorn's arsenal without warning in order to secure a propaganda victory.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm really not sure if it was a metaphor or the helmet really is a piece of Ein that galy is wearing on his head.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

I'm really not sure if it was a metaphor or the helmet really is a piece of Ein that galy is wearing on his head.

I think that the 'admirable person' Julietta was referring to was Ein's mentor. As in, Gaelio himself.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, if you don't know how to spot a classic Mephistophelean temptation scene when you see one, I don't really know what to tell you. That bit where he literally offered Orga the world was ominous as all hell.

I was going to use the word faustian, but you summed it up well.

We know these characters literary skills are sorely lacking but that they can't figure out that the guy that has betrayed everyone he has ever know and "loved" should give them all more pause than it has. Maybe Naze will talk some sense into them.:ohdear:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that the 'admirable person' Julietta was referring to was Ein's mentor. As in, Gaelio himself.

or it could be the guy who mika killed in like the second episode. The one who provided Ein's one character trait, wanting revenge against Tekkadan?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

everydayfalls posted:

We know these characters literary skills are sorely lacking but that they can't figure out that the guy that has betrayed everyone he has ever know and "loved" should give them all more pause than it has. Maybe Naze will talk some sense into them.:ohdear:

??? We as the audience know that McGillis hosed Gaelio and Carta and his dad over, but Tekkadan wouldn't know that, he's just some rich soldier boy trying to change things. As far as public faces go, he's about as clean as Kudelia.

Though when I think about it, they should probably be a little more suspicious of anyone who keeps Hitlerstache employed

booksnake fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 20, 2016

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah, I'm surprised there's still any argument on McGillis being a villain in this scenario. He's amiable, sure, but, dude's definitely out for himself and his own goals no matter how he justifies it, and has no problem treating people close to him as disposable pawns. I figure, at best, he'll end up as Gundam von Lohengramm. At worst his inevitable betrayal (or attempt at debt collection, to continue the Faust theme) turns him into another disposable villain for Mika to squish.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

everydayfalls posted:

Yeah... It really is good that Takaki did the smart thing and took his cute sister out of dodge in search of an honest life, because even if Tekkadan survives the coming conflict with Teiwaz (and if the preview is right, there will be one, oh yes), and even if the conflicts after that are weathered- and this is even on the assumption that McGillis is on the up and up, which I doubt- I doubt he'd want to see what happens to his friends after becoming "kings of Mars," because wealth and power tends to change people. They tend to become harder and crueler, more greedy and vain; you know those cartoon episodes where one character inherits great wealth or power and almost immediately becomes an rear end in a top hat? It seems trite and ridiculous, but sociology tells us that that's pretty much exactly what happens in those situations; heck, anyone who's played Monopoly can tell you that the wealth need not even be real in order to enact a change in personality. I'm not saying that Orga is immediately going to hunt down everyone who was ever mean to him and Mika and put them in a death match that he enjoys with wine, but people in his position, especially people who don't know how the governance thing even works, tend to cover themselves in glory and riches and revel in them before thinking about other things to do, and everyone else close to him is still firmly riding the Orga Is Always Right train, and I don't see that as being good for the future of Mars, especially the slum where everyone grew up.

The one bright spot is Kudelia, who does know a little about how the game is played and cares about making things better, and that she still has Mika's ear. We keep bringing this up, and it keeps never happening, but perhaps that scenario will finally be the breaking point of his unquestioning loyalty to Orga. Because a very conspicuous parallel was drawn between Takaki and Mika this episode: Kudelia's advice to Takaki was to expose himself to more experiences to form a greater understanding, something Mika has deliberately avoided doing. Things are going to come to a head sometime...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blhue posted:

or it could be the guy who mika killed in like the second episode. The one who provided Ein's one character trait, wanting revenge against Tekkadan?

Crank? Gaelio's answer would make even less sense then. He pretty clearly was making a wry joke about how he's only mostly the person who helped Ein now.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Darth Walrus posted:

Crank? Gaelio's answer would make even less sense then. He pretty clearly was making a wry joke about how he's only mostly the person who helped Ein now.

I thought Gaelio was noticing the similarities between Ein and Juletta, and partially worried that it might be a repeat.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I love how McGillis brought his dumb mask along to wear for the drive but took it off once he was actually inside. :allears:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Overlord K posted:

I love how McGillis brought his dumb mask along to wear for the drive but took it off once he was actually inside. :allears:

It was so nobody saw McGillis entering the building

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I don't think McGillis is planning to gently caress over Tekkadan.

Yet.

His respect for Mika seems legitimate, he knows they're capable, and (importantly) he knows what levers to pull with them to get results. They're useful, and probably would stay useful in future dealings. That said, he's the sort who would gently caress them over without a second's hesitation if he needed it to complete a plan, and he's tossing them into the shark tank even without malice.

That's the really dangerous thing about him. A friend's good. You've got someone at your back, and that means less disaster down the line. Enemy's not good, but it's still something you know how to work with, once you're sure they are your enemies.

McGillis? There's no right answer with someone like him, except avoiding his attention entirely. And it's a bit late in the day to accomplish that goal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think the main concern is that McGillis will just randomly betray them (though he sure is fond of discarding allies to further his goals). I think the main concern is what he'll ask of them until they feel forced to betray him. Guy's imposing a tiny, top-down chain of command on the entire freakin' solar system. That never ends well.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Considering the rather unique (for Gundam) directions IBO is going I'd be really surprised if McGillis turns out to be the Big Bad Evil guy at the end of the season/series. In fact I hope he ends up as the Big Bad Good guy, doing the things we'd assume are wrong for all the right reasons.

Like his offer to Orga to make Tekkadan "King of Mars" is basically him saying, "You help me, I put you guys in a position to declare the independence of Mars from the economy blocs." Which is what Kudelia has been looking for because as long as the current G-Horn is running the show it doesn't matter how many blocs give their Mars colonies more freedom G-Horn will get the last say in the administration of Mars.

If anyone ends up as the Big Bads I'm actually guessing its gonna be Space Mafia.

Also on this recent episode do we think that Masked Mans comment that the special person who was "loyal and all that" in his life is "close to him" is implying that maybe he's got PARTS of Ein in his suit?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gridlocked posted:

Also on this recent episode do we think that Masked Mans comment that the special person who was "loyal and all that" in his life is "close to him" is implying that maybe he's got PARTS of Ein in his suit?

I really hope the masked man spends the rest of the show giving confusing parables that the blonde girl pretends to understand

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Comedy Option: Turns out Gaelio and Ein both died, but each left enough meat behind that someone Dr Frankensteined them together into a single vengeful entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

galagazombie posted:

Comedy Option: Turns out Gaelio and Ein both died, but each left enough meat behind that someone Dr Frankensteined them together into a single vengeful entity.

When I said PARTS I meant like he has the various cybernetics he pulged into Ein now pluged into him.

• Locked thread