Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

If harden has a 120 offensive rating who cares if his defensive rating is 110

Jesus Christ people over fetishize defense

I think the predominant theory is that you can't win in the post-season with that sort of strategy (which of course may be one of those black swan couldn't possibly be true until it happens then it was obvious things but eh it hasn't happened and good teams play defense). You put up a great record in the regular season because you beat every team that can't score 120, but it appears to be punting on the playoffs in favor of the regular season.

edit: D'antoni teams's fool's gold

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Boogie and the Brow sounds like a great band name/buddy cop team

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

straight up brolic posted:

I wish I had the photoshop chops for this

e: and of course, the other Pelicans players are the various household items that inexplicably have the ability to talk

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

I think the predominant theory is that you can't win in the post-season with that sort of strategy (which of course may be one of those black swan couldn't possibly be true until it happens then it was obvious things but eh it hasn't happened and good teams play defense). You put up a great record in the regular season because you beat every team that can't score 120, but it appears to be punting on the playoffs in favor of the regular season.

You don't have to be a great defensive team to win it all, but it's been a long time since any team outside the top-10 in defense has. That said, Houston's D hasn't been that bad, and if they do have problems I don't think it's because of Harden. Clint Capela and Ryan Anderson front court is basically a ceiling of an average defensive team, at best.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
ESPN's RPM stat is up. Looks like the website is all busted right now, but you can still look at sorted lists:
https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

For those who don't know, RPM uses your teams Box Score outcome to assign your impact, and normalizes that against your teammates and opponent. It tries to value how much of an impact a player has in the context of his lineup without looking at individual stats. I find it to be very telling, but you need to understand what it tells you. A role player might be rated higher than a star because his role is more crucial to what the team is doing.

Defensively, I find it to be the best all-in-one stat available.

Not surprisingly, CP3 and Harden lead the list, though Alpha Alpha Jimmy Butler is #3. DJ #1 defensively which I 100% agree with, and Steven Adams #2 on D which I think I am also down with looking at the rest of the Thunder roster. It's calling Giannis an all-star and Wiggins defense has him a negative player right now (Timberwolves Defense is broken, so this makes some sense).

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Is league pass running better for people now that the free trial mass of people aren't using it anymore? I'm tempted to buy it as the times it worked and I could watch several games at once owned but it was kinda hit or miss.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

RPM has noted boy of noted SAS patron NickRoweFilla, Kristaps Porzingis, rated as the 3rd best Power Forward in the league right now.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Is league pass running better for people now that the free trial mass of people aren't using it anymore? I'm tempted to buy it as the times it worked and I could watch several games at once owned but it was kinda hit or miss.

I know its not the question you asked, but the grey market stream is running better than ever.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Trevor Booker is a feel good story

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
It would really help the Schadenfreude side of my NBA enjoyment if the Knicks were doing worse. There's at least the Wizards this year.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

November 20th Power Rankings

1. Golden State Warriors (11-2): It's pretty clear that they're the best team in the league right now. They can just score more points than the rest of the league. Giving up 121 points to the Bucks is mind boggling, but they scored enough to win themselves, which is doubly so.

2. LA Clippers (12-2): really rough week to the Clippers as their dominance came grinding to a halt. On the other hand. Mike Conley and Dwayne Wade went like 15-20 from three against them, so maybe these two results are a bit flukey. That they're already showing fatigue and rust, however, knocks them down a peg.

3. Cleveland Cavaliers (10-2): seem to have autopiloted their way to a 10-2 record. Will coast to between 55-65 wins. second most talent in the league.

4. San Antonio Spurs (10-3): recovered after a mediocre start. They still don't have the ability to string possessions together like they did in years past. Defense is getting back on track.

5. Toronto Raptors (8-4): two of those losses were on a b2b to teams above them on the list. Seem to be the "best of the rest".

6. Charlotte Hornets (8-4): starting to cool off after a great start, but this team still has a sweet SRS of 5.

7. Atlanta Hawks (9-4): how many spots should losing an afternoon game to the knicks drop you? marshall plumlee literally took the train into the game. Dwight Howard and Paul Millsap are really good.

8. Memphis Grizzlies (8-5): took down the Clippers thanks to suspiciously good shooting, but more encouragingly, Marc Gasol is starting to look like himself again.

9. Chicago Bulls (8-5): This team is mind blowingly bizarre and kind of good.

10. Houston Rockets (8-5): They are what we thought they were. James Harden is the NBA's Neil Armstrong.

11. Boston Celtics (7-6): Poised to shoot up this list when Horford and Crowder come back.

12. OKC Thunder (8-5): Cool team. Can't score (21st in ORTG). Won't score.

13. Utah Jazz (7-7): Will lose to all the good teams, beat all the bad teams. I'm mildly invested in the success of Dante Exum.

14. LA Lakers (7-6): Young knuckleheads that have a lot of fun. The defense is crazy bad.

15. Portland Trailblazers (8-7): This roster is literal trash. -5 SRS. Getting by on beating bad teams. They are the worst potential playoff team in the West.

16. Detroit Pistons (6-8): Good at home. Very bad on the road. Reggie Jackson can't return soon enough.

17. New York Knicks (6-7): The epitome of mediocrity.

18. Minnesota Timberwolves (4-8): not as bad as their record (positive SRS), but they certainly aren't good. +Offense -Defense. Andrew Wiggins has improved, KAT hasn't.

19. Indiana Pacers (6-7): going to drop like a rock if paul george is out for any extended timespan.

20. Milwaukee Bucks (5-7): kind of like Pelicans East. Took a bunch of 7th men from other teams and expected them to turn into starter caliber players. have literally no shooting.

21. Miami Heat (4-8): They're bad and young and not at all interesting.

22. Orlando Magic (6-7): are almost .500 despite a -8 SRS. something has to give here and it seems that a squad winning close games against bad teams is going to have the bottom drop out. This roster makes no sense. Ibaka is starting to get better.

23. Denver Nuggets (4-8): mildly interesting, but they have the worst guard rotation in the league with Will Barton out.

24. New Orleans Pelicans (4-10): look MUCH better with Jrue Holiday back, but they've still got a mountain to climb to relevancy. Fortunately, the Western conference is terrible.

25. Sacramento Kings (4-9): destined to be the lottery team that plays good teams close.

26. Washington Wizards (3-9): it pains me to put them this high. Need a HARD rebuild.

27. Brooklyn Nets (4-9): the inspiring story of a bad team that tried hard.

28. Phoenix Suns (4-10): like the lakers, but worse.

29. Dallas Mavericks (2-10): I keep thinking that they're not that bad and then they keep surprising me. Have gone from having average peripherals to the worst offense in the league.

30. Philadelphia Sixers (3-10): It's going to take an act of god to get them off the bottom of the power rankings. Embiid is cool though!

31. America (0-13): oh wait, America still taking all the Ls

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/796258910617370624

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

chunkles posted:

Hiring Billy King and trading all your picks away, a great and replicable path to success

Brook Lopez: respectable 3 point shooter is weirder than Dwyane Wade

Wade having a 3P% of ~38% is a miracle. Although his 2P% is ~44% and that's his worst ever. So, overall his eFG% and TS% are near career lows.

Lockback posted:

You don't have to be a great defensive team to win it all, but it's been a long time since any team outside the top-10 in defense has. That said, Houston's D hasn't been that bad, and if they do have problems I don't think it's because of Harden. Clint Capela and Ryan Anderson front court is basically a ceiling of an average defensive team, at best.

Their team D FG% is 1.1% worse than average. No team has won a title anywhere near that bad.

EvanTH posted:

Rockets aren't winning a title with their trash defense.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

Because I don't see the quick fix that gets this team back in contention for a playoff spot, much less on the path to being an actual contender that will convince him to do it via winning. I do see Cauley-Stein as potential asset that could get a couple decent vets in right now, but it's hard to make that deal with the Sixers offering a better prospect in Noel or Okafor for probably a cheaper price.

Now is a very bad time to not be the Warriors, Spurs, Clippers in the west.

euphronius posted:

You are right bos makes sense. Boogie Horford is sick

Could take out cle honestly

Take out CLE in the 2017 playoffs?

Spacebump posted:

CP3 (in Ric Flair voice) WOOOO!

Yes.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Lockback posted:

Having your best player give absolutely no effort on one end of the court can't just be hand-waved away that easily tho, not just because their bigs aren't Hakeem and Duncan level defenders. Harden isn't a 6' point guard who physically can't contribute much defensively - he has the size, quickness and strength to at least be passable defensively. He just has a tendency to not care too much about defense, and pairing him with an offense-only coach like D'Antoni is feeding into his worst tendencies on that end. It's super entertaining offensively, but they're going to get beaten badly in the 1st or 2nd(they won't get that far) round of the playoffs by a team that has all it's players at least engaged and trying on both ends of the court.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

If harden has a 120 offensive rating who cares if his defensive rating is 110

Jesus Christ people over fetishize defense

CP3 has an ORtg of 128.7 and a DRtg of 93.5

35.2 difference.

Lockback posted:

I know we're only allowed one boy but Andrew Wiggins got a game genie for his birthday and he's coming over and we're going to beat Battletoads with an infinite lives cheat. My mom is making pizza rolls.

That's another great soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcYmbzTPSZ8

Even with infinite lives I believe most people are going to get stuck in that section where the toads are on jetskis.

LarksTongues
Mar 31, 2011
The wizards have completely imploded, this bench is a joke. Ernie Grunsfeld is a cancer on this organisation and it makes me sad.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://twitter.com/SmittyBarstool/status/800391308900728833

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I have decided that the Raptors will be trading for Cousins and the package will be Valanciunas, Powell, Wright, Poeltl, Clippers 2017 first, Raptors 2017 and 2019 firsts for Boogie and whatever flotsam.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Embiid is just a god drat savage. He's absolutely the internet king of the NBA right now.

I haven't gotten to see the Clippers play yet this season but they sound like they are insanely good. What has been the difference from last year? They've been a solid team for awhile but it seems like they've elevated a level so far this year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Blake is healthy and they have a bench it seems

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

roundmidnight posted:

I have decided that the Raptors will be trading for Cousins and the package will be Valanciunas, Powell, Wright, Poeltl, Clippers 2017 first, Raptors 2017 and 2019 firsts for Boogie and whatever flotsam.
They can take Powell over my dead body. He was born to play for the Raptors

quote:

Nor·man
Origin
Middle English: from Old French Normans, plural of Normant, from Old Norse Northmathr ‘Northman.’
WE THE NORTHMAN

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Libertine posted:

Embiid is just a god drat savage. He's absolutely the internet king of the NBA right now.

I haven't gotten to see the Clippers play yet this season but they sound like they are insanely good. What has been the difference from last year? They've been a solid team for awhile but it seems like they've elevated a level so far this year.

Their D had been close to average in recent years but this year they're #1 (or near it) in things like DRtg and D FG%.

Also, they're the second best 3P team so far as CP3 and Redick are both shooting 3P shots well. Redick is the new Kyle Korver as he's taking five a game and making nearly half.

CP3 had LASIK surgery.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/NBA/status/800493807212974080

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199311200NJN.html
0-1 FT

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
You'd think they would've changed their approach after, like, the seventh block

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

boogie and the brow sounds like a hit 90s live action show on nickelodeon starring keenen ivory wayans

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Criminal Minded posted:

You'd think they would've changed their approach after, like, the seventh block

To be fair that probably would've meant abandoning the paint entirely which would be hard for any team to do, especially one 20+ years ago.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
https://twitter.com/BDawsonWrites/status/800472456079228929

Good move. Those were some of the worst jerseys I can remember.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Lockback posted:

RPM has noted boy of noted SAS patron NickRoweFilla, Kristaps Porzingis, rated as the 3rd best Power Forward in the league right now.

I know its not the question you asked, but the grey market stream is running better than ever.

My boy just gets buckets

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Porzingis is weird to judge because he's one of those players that is way way better playing at center and only plays pf because of roster and injury prevention. He's not like blake or milsap that barely olay any center.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

from a traditional position perspective blake and millsap are closer to SFs than Cs

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Can anyone tell me how has Mozgov been so far this year?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Boredumb posted:

Can anyone tell me how has Mozgov been so far this year?

He's been OK at times, he generally does a decent job of helping Russell to establish the offense, before going to the bench; he doesn't always get back out there though if another one of the Lakers big men is playing well, but that's fine, that's his role.

He's not done enough to stop the defense from being god awful but I don't think any center in the league right now could since most of the defensive breakdown is on the perimeter.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm confused at some takes people have on the Kings roster. Yeah the asset cupboard is bare. But there aren't a lot of long term deals on the books and the few they have aren't that big of a deal. By not trading Rudy for a monta Ellis or Stuckey poop platter, trading for more picks/assets during the draft, and basically doing the bare minimum about their PG situation, the Kings effectively said they are starting over. They owe an unprotected pick but they have a fair bit of flexibility going forward. The only question is if they think Cousins will stick around, and why make a deal before next summer if you don't have to.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the mystery of Niko Mirotic is that he is simultaneously skilled and a complete basketball oaf

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
So they're gonna have to have some kind of conference about the shot clock stuff, right

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

it's just the wrong call, but they can't like...have them go play overtime. they needed to catch it during the play or treat the shot clock as normal. You can't not catch it, and then retroactively call the play dead.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Bulls are somehow good despite having the worst starting PG in the league and a bench full of Gar Forman's draft busts.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

it's just the wrong call, but they can't like...have them go play overtime. they needed to catch it during the play or treat the shot clock as normal. You can't not catch it, and then retroactively call the play dead.

the solution during the situation in the future is to just replay the last 2.5 seconds I guess. it's what they do when the shot clock fucks up. Like I said in the GDT the players can't be held responsible for indepednetly assessing the passing of time. They always depend on the scoreboard/shotclock so if that errs you either go with it or just replay from the mistake.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Dave Joerger 2-0 when a King tips an inbound and it fucks up the refs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

The Bulls are somehow good despite having the worst starting PG in the league and a bench full of Gar Forman's draft busts.

Jimmy and Wade are still good at basketball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Raptors got screwed tonight but it's amazing how many raptor fans are still salty about that one Kyle Lowry offensive foul call from like 3 years ago that actually was an offensive foul

• Locked thread