Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

You think at some point, they'll stop people from getting too close.

Short of keeping people out of the area, there's not a whole lot you can do other than telling people they will die if they leave the boardwalk and oh, by the way, it's illegal to do so.

It's the same with people who think it's a great idea to get up close and personal with a wild animal that weighs 3/4 of a ton and then are shocked when it tries to stomp them into a thin paste.

At some point you just gotta go "Welp, we tried to warn them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
okay then I guess people are just crazy risky with their lives and/or dumb.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tired Moritz posted:

I assume you haven't been there, because short of simply keeping everyone on a bus (like they do at Denali), there's no way to put a guardrail around all the thermal features. Yellowstone is massive, and hot springs are everywhere. A quick Google suggests there are over 10,000 thermal features (including 500 straight-up geysers).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Tired Moritz posted:

At some point morons will stop going so close. "Make nature Safe" is the wrong direction to go.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

porktree posted:

At some point morons will stop going so close. "Make nature Safe" is the wrong direction to go.

They probably keep hoping they'll run out of morons at some point. But they seem to breed like rabbits, so it's unlikely.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
People sometimes step out into the street without looking and get creamed, but we aren't going to fence in every road. At some point you just have to allow the morons to weed themselves out Darwin style.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Here's an unnerving article.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/snoopers-charter-expansive-new-spying-powers-becomes-law/

George Orwell is rolling over in his grave.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

okay then I guess people are just crazy risky with their lives and/or dumb.

The PDF has like six pages with four photos each of warning signs they would've run into on the way there. :(

e: ganked from the OSHA thread:

quote:

Many of the folks who were either shut out or priced out ($1 tickets) found a perch to watch the game for free. Just across the street from the stadium was the brand-new San Francisco and Pacific Glass Works building, and 400 to 500 boys and men climbed onto the building’s metal roof, nearly five stories high, for a splendid view of the game.

About 20 minutes after kickoff, the roof collapsed — “Sprung open like a gallows trap,” one survivor said — raining about half the boys and men down onto the blazing-hot, brick cover of a vat filled with 15 tons of burbling molten glass.

“Plunge to Their Death on a White Hot Furnace,” The Chronicle’s front-page headline read.

The Evening News in San Jose went with “Sizzling, Shrieking Human Mass.”

RNG has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Nov 17, 2016

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

flosofl posted:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/snoopers-charter-expansive-new-spying-powers-becomes-law/

:stare:

This planet is getting worse and worse every day

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
There was a reddit thread about those illegally salvaged ships, and apparently the propellers were solid bronze, up to 8 of them per ship, and were worth salvaging alone. There was probably a bunch of copper in the old boilers too and steel was just gravy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Basebf555 posted:

They have very clearly marked signs, its illegal to go into these dangerous areas, and people are verbally warned about it constantly. The Park understandably doesn't want to add huge guard rails or fences if they don't have to because it would be an eyesore in a place that's meant to be like the ultimate in natural beauty that our country has to offer.

Besides, it's not like those wouldn't be trivial for people to get over if they were determined enough.

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke
Then there's that story that comes up about a guy's dog getting confused or whatever dogs do around geysers and running straight to it's death. Naturally it's owner ran right in after it. Still stupidity beyond stupidity but you have to think just loved that drat dog so much that he didn't have time to think about the death awaiting him. Then again, if he was trying to save his dog he most definitely knew it was dangerous/deadly or he wouldn't have been trying to save the dog in the first place. I say keep it how it is, there's no stopping these people.

I guess I have made it such a habit to not follow local news that Container Man was only something I read about this evening despite living here with him. I saw that google maps screenshot of the house in the woods and thought, hey, I know that place, even the road name is the same, that's loving weird.

Nope, not a coincidence, I know that road and the turn off that goes to that property. I do however remember the 2003 case and that's just nutty he was responsible for that too.. Unreal. Even seeing someone a few pages ago say basically this same thing in this very thread I immediately assumed it was a different state until I saw the news links.

I thought for a moment that the Java Sea shipwreck thing might be where the USS Indianapolis was sunk and I would have been quite upset at anyone messing with that. I now know exactly where the Java Sea is and isn't. Same general area though. And if I had remembered the speech from Jaws better I would have known that ship was sunk by itself.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

duz posted:

The world just keeps making better idiots.

porktree posted:

An excerpt from the report of the incident:

quote:

I moved back, George unhooked me from the rope and harness system. At no time did I feel in danger due to all the precautions we had taken. I had been on previous trips with research geologists at some of the hot spring back in that area and saw them walk right up the edge of some of those hot springs - something I would never do.)

Even the loving people who should know better don't even know better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Infyrno posted:

Then there's that story that comes up about a guy's dog getting confused or whatever dogs do around geysers and running straight to it's death. Naturally it's owner ran right in after it. Still stupidity beyond stupidity but you have to think just loved that drat dog so much that he didn't have time to think about the death awaiting him. Then again, if he was trying to save his dog he most definitely knew it was dangerous/deadly or he wouldn't have been trying to save the dog in the first place. I say keep it how it is, there's no stopping these people.

David Allen Kirwan on 20 July 1981

It was his friend’s dog.

IIRC it’s the first incident in Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Platystemon posted:

It was his friend’s dog.

IIRC it’s the first incident in Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park

I think so.

The really dry tone detailing every death made it hard for me to get far in the book.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Platystemon posted:

It was his friend’s dog.

A bystander told him not to jump in. Kirwan's last words were "like hell i won't!"

edit: actually im wrong, his last words were most likely "That was stupid. How bad am I? That was a stupid thing I did."

Marijuana Nihilist has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Nov 18, 2016

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

It was his friend’s dog.

Just bought it, thanks for the recommendation!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

A bystander told him not to jump in. Kirwan's last words were "like hell i won't!"

edit: actually im wrong, his last words were most likely "That was stupid. How bad am I? That was a stupid thing I did."

Right up there for award-winning last words with "gently caress that alligator": http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/7733946

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Right up there for award-winning last words with "gently caress that alligator": http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/7733946

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

flosofl posted:

1. Holy poo poo.
2. Is this is even something that can be done? Can ISPs record all this? Is that burden legal?
3. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
4. Would VPNs defeat this?
5. dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
You could also use a VPN and become politically involved so this poo poo is less likely to happen in future

Graedyn
Feb 21, 2009

Wedge Regret

Nckdictator posted:

Just was reminded of the Arlis Perry murder.

It's horrifying that someone can be raped/murdered in the middle of a church on the campus of a large university and nobody notice in time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Arlis_Perry

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2014/10/10/murder-at-memorial-church-remains-unsolved-40-years-later/

http://www.theunresolvedpodcast.com/2016/03/09-arlis-perry_29.html?m=1

I knew her very well. When I was a child, she and her family went to the same church as mine. She was at different times my Sunday school and bible school teacher. Very, very sweet and warm person--she was always reaching out to the "lost" and rumor at the time was that this was possible a contributing factor to the way she was killed. It was unimaginable that someone could do what was done to her. North Dakota was pretty sheltered in those days and that whole thing was a pretty rude awakening.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Chard posted:

1. Holy poo poo.
2. Is this is even something that can be done? Can ISPs record all this? Is that burden legal?
3. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
4. Would VPNs defeat this?
5. dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

I know someone who works at a telco in Australia and something similar was being floated here, and his response was basically that it would require an insane amount of storage to keep everything stored even for a month

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
having been to yellowstone the sheer level of stupidity required to think about actually getting into one of the thermal pools is unreal. the extremely strong smell of sulfur, strange colours of the pools and the fact they're almost all visibly boiling means anyone trying really deserves what happens to them

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

Platystemon posted:

It was his friend’s dog.

Thanks for the correction and for recommending the book, I'm going to check that out.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Jose posted:

having been to yellowstone the sheer level of stupidity required to think about actually getting into one of the thermal pools is unreal. the extremely strong smell of sulfur, strange colours of the pools and the fact they're almost all visibly boiling means anyone trying really deserves what happens to them

I would be down for some sort of charge levied at the estate of people who died in the pools based on the fact their body oils and poo poo probably mess up the pools in some way. Im pretty sure it would reduce the amount of idiots and if not well more money for parks is always a plus. Also a charge for messing with the animals would be nice.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Nov 20, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought they do press charges for messing with animals.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought they do press charges for messing with animals.

The fines are hilariously small for it, the tourist who took a calf which caused it be abandoned by its herd and euthanized got charged $110. Apparently other charges are pending but they will also be likely laughable if any of them go through. Many times people just don't get charged too and warned off.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Telsa Cola posted:

a charge for messing with the animals would be nice.

Sometimes the animals provide the charge themselves :v:

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
I'm pretty sure that dumb animals wandering into the pools is a thing that happens fairly often. Just because some of them have opposable thumbs I don't think that's going to mess anything up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, there are plenty of bison bones and etc in the pools.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Telsa Cola posted:

I would be down for some sort of charge levied at the estate of people who died in the pools based on the fact their body oils and poo poo probably mess up the pools in some way. Im pretty sure it would reduce the amount of idiots and if not well more money for parks is always a plus. Also a charge for messing with the animals would be nice.

Yeah, the people who ignore the signs saying "DANGER DO NOT TOUCH BOILING SULFUR POOLS" are definitely going to shape up when they see "DANGER DO NOT TOUCH BOILING SULFUR POOLS ALSO IF YOU FALL IN YOUR BODY OILS AND poo poo PROBABLY MESS UP THE POOLS IN SOME WAY SO WE'RE GOING TO CHARGE YOUR FAMILY $500"

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Yeah, the people who ignore the signs saying "DANGER DO NOT TOUCH BOILING SULFUR POOLS" are definitely going to shape up when they see "DANGER DO NOT TOUCH BOILING SULFUR POOLS ALSO IF YOU FALL IN YOUR BODY OILS AND poo poo PROBABLY MESS UP THE POOLS IN SOME WAY WE'RE GOING TO CHARGE YOUR FAMILY $500"

KM Scorchio posted:

I'm pretty sure that dumb animals wandering into the pools is a thing that happens fairly often. Just because some of them have opposable thumbs I don't think that's going to mess anything up.

Make it $5,000 dollars and Im pretty sure you will see a change. If not, well its more money to help with park funding and clean up and preservation. Human skin oil actually fucks up geologic features something fierce in a way that other animals bodies don't, also I am not finding of any articles discussing the amount of wildlife that falls into the geysers and I honestly doubt it is as common as you are suggesting, the one article I did find had one geyser that had the remains of one calf. They are pretty apparently geologic features in the animals territory, they would know they are dangerous and not something you just enter.
Bison remains in or around geysers don't actually prove they died from falling in either.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Nov 21, 2016

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Telsa Cola posted:

Make it $5,000 dollars and Im pretty sure you will see a change. If not, well its more money to help with park funding and clean up and preservation. Human skin oil actually fucks up geologic features something fierce in a way that other animals bodies don't, also I am not finding of any articles discussing the amount of wildlife that falls into the geysers and I honestly doubt it is as common as you are suggesting, the one article I did find had one geyser that had the remains of one calf. They are pretty apparently geologic features in the animals territory, they would know they are dangerous and not something you just enter.
Bison remains in or around geysers don't actually prove they died from falling in either.

It would take far more than 5k to prove someone intentionally fell in a hole in court. Like now you'll have a dead guy, ruined geyser, and a 50 to 100k legal fees of which they can recoup 5k. And as you pointed out even animals have the sense to not die in them, so if you are somehow dumber than a bison we should just put on a sign on that person to remind them to stay home.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Make it $5,000 dollars and Im pretty sure you will see a change.

Hm, death? I laugh at death. But $5,000...

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Telsa Cola posted:

Tears up sheet marked 'yellowstone suicide dive plan'

dammit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Telsa Cola posted:

The fines are hilariously small for it, the tourist who took a calf which caused it be abandoned by its herd and euthanized got charged $110. Apparently other charges are pending but they will also be likely laughable if any of them go through. Many times people just don't get charged too and warned off.

Two words: jury nullification

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Telsa Cola posted:

Fines only work as a preventative measure when people are aware of them beforehand and change their behavior to avoid them. If people aren't staying away from the geysers under threat of death, why do you think they'll be fazed by a fine?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As well as changing nothing, fining a grieving family thousands of dollars would be horrible PR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well their idiot family member shouldn't have ruined the hot springs, somehow, with their disgusting water ape body.