Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Edit: A question about how Battletech as a franchise handles its changing aesthetic over time - I'm assuming when they do stuff like redesign what a mech looks like, that's just for the sake of the new edition and we're to quietly assume a Warhammer always looked like that and not the old way, right? Rather than being an explicit in-universe "new model" of mech that is replacing the old model (especially since people jump around the timeline a lot). I guess if ever pressed there could be some hand-waving about there existing lots of variant appearances for the more common mechs.

It varies.

The Warhammer and etc. all got major redesigns as part of Project Phoenix, to make them more competitive on the "modern battlefield," so in-universe they simply got improved armor layouts and most pilots upgraded their machines to the newer appearance.

The Cauldron Born's a little different, since it was (as far as I can tell) created explicitly for Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. You encounter precisely one and it's got both murderous AI and a bad (fun) tendency to headshot you with its Gauss rifle. It was a completely unique design at the time and didn't get a TRO entry until later.

It then got redesigned before ever getting an official mini, for Mechwarrior 3. It lost its hips and made its first ever appearance in fiction around the same time, piloted by one Mechwarrior All of My `Mechs Stackpole Trent.

The mini then came out sometime between Mechwarrior 3 and Mechwarrior 4 (I think it was around 2002, I remember being incredibly stoked to bump into one at my FLGS). The Cauldron Born is a long-time favorite of mine aaand... I wasn't really a fan of this version of it. S/N: #20-758 (I'm including this for a reason)

Then Mechwarrior 4 came out and the 'torso on legs' designs just wouldn't work with torso twisting, so they got redesigned again. A little sleeker this time, but even less reminiscent of the original.

Then, back in 2012 (give or take) the Cauldron Born mini had received a resculpt bringing it up to the Mechwarrior 4 standard, something which I only just found out about today.

Mechwarrior Online then came out and released the Ebon Jaguar as part of Clan Wave 3 on June 16, 2015, with a model basically like the original Iron Wind Metals version with hips.

They're all the same `Mech, it's just that most have hips and some don't.

:iiam:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
The MW2 version does have a certain Earthsiege feel about it.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always liked the lack of torso-twist for certain mechs in the earlier Mechwarrior games, but I guess that was implementable thanks to the ability to move a mech's arms independent from its torso, something Mechwarrior 4 really lacked beyond twisting the arms side to side.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Cauldron Born is one of my favorite mechs. Right up there with the Kodiak and the Awesome.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Cauldron Born's a little different, since it was (as far as I can tell) created explicitly for Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. You encounter precisely one and it's got both murderous AI and a bad (fun) tendency to headshot you with its Gauss rifle. It was a completely unique design at the time and didn't get a TRO entry until later.

It then got redesigned before ever getting an official mini, for Mechwarrior 3. It lost its hips and made its first ever appearance in fiction around the same time, piloted by one Mechwarrior All of My `Mechs Stackpole Trent.

Naw, TRO 3058 came out before MW:2 Mercs, and I remember my most frequent opponent christening his Cauldron Born A' "Ugly," for that the late '90s fig surely was.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

The Merry Marauder posted:

Naw, TRO 3058 came out before MW:2 Mercs, and I remember my most frequent opponent christening his Cauldron Born A' "Ugly," for that the late '90s fig surely was.

And I remember it in the Invading Clans book, which was before TRO 3058. A number of the Clan mechs from 3058 were in Invading Clans first, but the only ones that ever stuck out to me were the Cauldron Born and the Crossbow.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Cascade Jones posted:

And I remember it in the Invading Clans book, which was before TRO 3058. A number of the Clan mechs from 3058 were in Invading Clans first, but the only ones that ever stuck out to me were the Cauldron Born and the Crossbow.

Yep. Looking at it right now. Copyright on Invading Clans is 1994.

TR:3058's 'Mechs seems to be compiled from designs introduced in other sourcebooks. Other than the Inner Sphere omnis I'm not sure if any of the Clan or Inner Sphere 'Mechs in that book are originals.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Carbolic posted:

Yep. Looking at it right now. Copyright on Invading Clans is 1994.

TR:3058's 'Mechs seems to be compiled from designs introduced in other sourcebooks. Other than the Inner Sphere omnis I'm not sure if any of the Clan or Inner Sphere 'Mechs in that book are originals.

It's a real TRO:3067, except the mechs are much more boring.

(That book made me sad.)

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

A, mostly to even out the voting, since I'm cool with any of these, with slight preference to A and B.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Voting's dying down and it's still very close, so if you're still undecided now's the time to make your voice heard.

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007
As awesome as all three options are, I've got to go with B. The Scorpions have been waiting to wreck the Widowmakers for a long time now, and it feels like the right time to make it happen.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
C for plot, though I would like to see a G-Scorp game.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
C

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
It's the option I voted for last time, so I'm sticking with B.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
C. Let's see some hard plot.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'm going to take B, it's a fun scenario and PTN is clearly dying to show us what he's come up with.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
Let's see some player side elementals B.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Voting for the Taurian Concordat, because those lovable, nuke-happy space Texans haven't gotten enough air-time, and they look like they want to vie for the crown of "Team Space Warcrimes"

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I would most like C to succeed, but I think B will be the more compelling mission to play/watch, so I'll go with B.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
C

For maximum Capellan mustache twistery

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Hey PTN, if we get to choose our battle armor loadouts, are Fire Elementals with AP gauss rifles an option?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Bloody Pom posted:

Hey PTN, if we get to choose our battle armor loadouts, are Fire Elementals with AP gauss rifles an option?

Standard Elementals only, unfortunately.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Ablative posted:

Well, he did mention a twist which we are not yet party to.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Ablative posted:

Darn, I really wanted my inferno-immune jump-capable 9-range sandblaster squads. :(

Professor Malice
Nov 16, 2011
Voting C because it's the plot thread I'm most interested in right now.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Not sure what to vote for but any of them will work out in a fun way. Just waiting on the next write-up on the story.

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014
C for Taurian Concordat - Capellan Confederation Clusterfuck.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Updated tally:

A: 27
B: 50
C: 37

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Throwing A a vote to help their off-screen chances

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

B

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
A

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

B Not because I have a grudge against taurians or capellans or anything...

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Sad to see that A almost certainly won't win, but it has my vote in any case.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm voting A anyway for the best drat mercs there are.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pussy Cartel posted:

I'm voting A anyway for the best drat mercs there are.

A isn't a vote for the best mercs there are. A is just a vote for the best mercs new indentured servants. :colbert:

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Vote for A partially to keep them from being slaughtered offscreen.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Voting for A

Both A and B sound really good to me though

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Calling the vote now so I can do my usual map stuff.

Looks like we'll be seeing our first ice planet in a while!

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Calling the vote now so I can do my usual map stuff.

Looks like we'll be seeing our first ice planet in a while!

Eagerly awaiting the giant, gaping chasm to snipe across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zebulon posted:

Eagerly awaiting the giant, gaping chasm to snipe across.

Ok. Where'd you put the camera?

Edit: I also considered ice floes, but no one would ever walk out on the ice if there was a chance they'd be lost forever.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 23, 2016

• Locked thread