Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

drat Growlithe, Rockruff, Lillipup popping up early, and Zydog coming up. Any chance of two more dogs showing up for a complete team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

drat Growlithe, Rockruff, Lillipup popping up early, and Zydog coming up. Any chance of two more dogs showing up for a complete team?

He's bipedal and that's sometimes a dealbreaker in these parts, but Smeargle was back on Route 2.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Countblanc posted:

hey there, guy who doesnt run King Shield on Aegislash here, here to tell you that zygarde complete is really dumb

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-480074891

How's the Marowak working for you?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

There's Granbull and Lucario but they're much later :(

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

He's bipedal and that's sometimes a dealbreaker in these parts, but Smeargle was back on Route 2.

I got Moon so I'm getting a bipedal dog regardless and a Smeargle would be nice to get Happy Hour off of Munchlax. Also I just so happen to have one with technician.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

rumble in the bunghole posted:

How's the Marowak working for you?

i'm AWFUL at team building, so he isn't really doing much right now (I added him as a fire and electric resist before the team had Zygarde and now he's just sorta redundant + another ghost/dark weakness liability) but other people have found him super duper useful. he practically hard counters Sexy Cockroach, Origami Cyclone, some of the Tapus. super good anti-meta mon and he does OBSCENE damage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if you want to be super sassy you can run Rock Head + Flare Blitz alolan marowak since everyone assumes you're Lightning Rod anyway and it'll get you some funny momentum. not really reliable though

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ROFL Octopus posted:

There's Granbull and Lucario but they're much later :(

Wonder if I can get lucky with GTS or Wonder Trade I did get a Gigaleth and a Rowlet off it recently.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I got Moon so I'm getting a bipedal dog regardless and a Smeargle would be nice to get Happy Hour off of Munchlax. Also I just so happen to have one with technician.

Glad I'm not the only one spamming the poo poo out of Happy Hour. Between that and Hold Back, Munchlax went from a quick evo and box to a permanent and reliable member of my party.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I asked this in the trading thread but figured I'd post here as well:
Anyone with Moon wanna toss me a Drampa egg? Preferably 2 to improve chances of it having the correct ability.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This jerk wants me to beat all the trainers on Route 5. I just did the second trial, is there another area I can't get to yet or am I missing a trainer?

EDIT: OMG, CUTIEFLY MAKES HONEY :3:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Waiting for Black Friday to pick up a 3DS. How's the game so far?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Glad I'm not the only one spamming the poo poo out of Happy Hour. Between that and Hold Back, Munchlax went from a quick evo and box to a permanent and reliable member of my party.

Yep yep also dude is starting to take hits and keep going don't even care anymore that he still has one digit speed.

Also what is going on when you press Y on a Pokemon's summary, is that the EVs?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
other things i've picked up on ladder:

mimikyu is a serious threat, it's really really hard to set up sweeps with a lot of mons if the opponent has a still-Disguised mimikyu. Swords Dance, Play Rough, Shadow Sneak, and then either Wood Hammer or some other coverage option. he's not insanely good but it's something you have to play around and really fun to use

Nihilego is my favorite new mon. i love her design and her typing is super cool. makes a great suicide lead w/ focus sash (she can put up stealth rocks and toxic spikes) or you can use her as a specially bulky sweeper lategame thanks to Beast Boost. not as good at the latter role as the sexy bug or the origami but still good and with unique resists/STAB (and less likely to be teched against)

i have no idea what to do with Salazzle. obviously it's frail, but i'm talking like 40-50% from a resisted attack frail, and she isn't nearly as strong as other glass cannons. I ran toxic on her for a while but it was basically just for Heatran and no one seems to be using that mon anymore. i guess you can toxic Toxapex and that's honestly pretty valuable but you're gonna eat a Scald for 60%+ uninvested unless you get it on the switch, but that'd involve forcing a switch and Salazzle just doesn't do that too often.

Mega Metagross is super scary right now with so many good fairy types entering the game + the new speed change.

don't use Minior. i've tried. i've tried so hard. it's just... it's just not strong enough. Shell Smash acrobatics is good but that's its only trick and it's weak to every priority move in the game.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
How the heck do i get bubbling fishing spots to show up, I've been running around forever now

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
Snorlax is so big he doesnt fit on the Refresh screen. :3:

Also I dig that they let you catch all the cute rear end baby mons and also give you Soothe Bell super early too!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Fun Times! posted:

Waiting for Black Friday to pick up a 3DS. How's the game so far?

Very good, probably my new favorite. It has by far the biggest number of shakeups in the series, so I haven't really felt the sense of adventure quite like this since the first games.

The new mons are by and large cool and effective, but almost everything is slow as poo poo because this is Hawaii and everyone just wants to chill.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Do you have to wait til the move relearner to get the starters signature attacks?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

man I hate friendship evos. I've raised you since the first island, pichu, where on the second and your at 25 now :negative:

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 21, 2016

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Trying to get a hidden ability Eevee. Been chaining battles on route 4 for a while now. I have a Sableye with brick break that I am using to check each new eevee for anticipation. Will it do the little shake and/or pop up a message when I swap my Sableye in or do I have to find another way to guess it's ability?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

My Torracat shakes at the start of what seems like every fight. What's the deal with this?

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx
What's the farthest back I need to go in order to start collecting all Pokemon beginning with the original 151 and transferring them up to S/M? I'll pass on event monsters and other insanely rare stuff. Can I start with Black and White or do I have to go back even farther?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The definition of futility is using a stat boost clearing move on Mudsdale to clear a stamina created defense boost only to have that move proceed to trigger stamina and immediately re-apply the boost.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

all this struggling with friendship evos is blowing my mind. just put a Soothe Bell on them & maybe buy them some friendship+ food from the Plaza (the Plaza owns, btw) and they'll be evolving in no time.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

spotlessd posted:

What's the farthest back I need to go in order to start collecting all Pokemon beginning with the original 151 and transferring them up to S/M? I'll pass on event monsters and other insanely rare stuff. Can I start with Black and White or do I have to go back even farther?

X/Y and OR/AS is all you need.

If they didn't take out the Mew glitch in the virtual console releases of RBY, then that's something to consider too.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

ROFL Octopus posted:

If they didn't take out the Mew glitch in the virtual console releases of RBY, then that's something to consider too.

Cool, thanks! Would there be any reason to start playing one before the other?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

spotlessd posted:

Cool, thanks! Would there be any reason to start playing one before the other?

No but OR/AS makes getting Pokemon easier and has other QOL improvements, in addition to more megas so you should play those after.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ROFL Octopus posted:

Confirming that they didn't take out the Mew glitch - you can get all 151 in RBY and will be able to transfer them forward starting in January. Uncertain how the glitch pokemon with Johto-range IDs will interact with Pokemon Bank, but I wouldn't bet on that getting you gen2 stuff easily.

If you're willing to GTS-trade and replay for legendaries a bunch, you can get everything with only one game, but barring that you would have a reasonable time with one of OR/AS and one of X/Y. Still leaves you screwed on the stupid event legendaries, but cross-referencing the Serebii lists for XY and ORAS should make it pretty obvious exactly what's missing beyond that, and most of it you can't buy a game that lets you just plain catch.

e: to go in more depth, with one of each, trading for the stuff like Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres where you get only one of a set and trading for version exclusives, you'll be missing nothing but:
Mew - can glitch RBY from the VC to get
Jirachi, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion - lol event legendaries etc

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 21, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Countblanc posted:

i have no idea what to do with Salazzle. obviously it's frail, but i'm talking like 40-50% from a resisted attack frail, and she isn't nearly as strong as other glass cannons. I ran toxic on her for a while but it was basically just for Heatran and no one seems to be using that mon anymore. i guess you can toxic Toxapex and that's honestly pretty valuable but you're gonna eat a Scald for 60%+ uninvested unless you get it on the switch, but that'd involve forcing a switch and Salazzle just doesn't do that too often.

Salazzle feels like it's basically stuck with life orb or choice specs in order to present a credible threat. Probably better off with the specs. Were you finding that even with that it was not capable of providing a sufficient threat?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

You can start the game with Popplio.

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013

-Fish- posted:

My Torracat shakes at the start of what seems like every fight. What's the deal with this?

It means he loves you! :kimchi:

(He's got some hearts from Refresh. The more hearts a pokemon has the better they'll be, like earning extra XP/getting more crits etc.)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Oh and another benefit to getting a gen 1 VC game is that you can get a No Guard Fissure Machamp :getin:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

mabels big day posted:

You can start the game with Popplio.

Are you calling Popplio a dog :psyduck:

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

SNOT CORN posted:

Can someone help me evolve my Crabrawler? You have to level him up on the elite 4 mountain.

4098-2581-2027

Anybody?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Obligatum VII posted:

Salazzle feels like it's basically stuck with life orb or choice specs in order to present a credible threat. Probably better off with the specs. Were you finding that even with that it was not capable of providing a sufficient threat?

I'm running Life Orb w/ Fire Blast, Sludge Bomb, Dragon Pulse, and Encore right now. it kills the stuff you'd expect it to, but it basically can't ever switch in and isn't quite fast enough to be a super great revenge killer. Encore has let me catch a few people off guard when they try to set up Coils or some other things which helps you not lose momentum when you DO get to revenge kill something.

here's Mimikyu cleaning house. that guy didnt play around it at all and it lets you see what he can do under those conditions
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-480128150

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

someone awful. posted:

Are you calling Popplio a dog :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/SonnyeLim/status/798644366122237952

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Are you keeping him from evolving?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Countblanc posted:

I'm running Life Orb w/ Fire Blast, Sludge Bomb, Dragon Pulse, and Encore right now. it kills the stuff you'd expect it to, but it basically can't ever switch in and isn't quite fast enough to be a super great revenge killer. Encore has let me catch a few people off guard when they try to set up Coils or some other things which helps you not lose momentum when you DO get to revenge kill something.

here's Mimikyu cleaning house. that guy didnt play around it at all and it lets you see what he can do under those conditions
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-480128150

I feel like it's best off as a specs sweeper that has toxic as a "gently caress you" against switches before it switches out itself. Also, I feel like a hidden power electric or ice would work better than dragon pulse. Those hit some important 4x weaknesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sophocles and Molayne are my favorite NPCs so far.

Best bros? Best bros.